Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 10,636 posts
  • 267 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by BeachPickle
  • Topic is favorited by 72 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Trailer Trash-the Pin. The GWJ Chronicles”

• John finds the big whale and makes 1 "super LE CE Bling" Trailer Park Boys pin 17 votes
      11%
    • John finds 10 small whales and makes 10 "pro style homebrew type" Trailer Park Boys pins 11 votes
      7%
    • John buys an aquarium to pass the time until his dreams are realized 128 votes
      82%

(156 votes)

This poll has been closed.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

closed.gif
    EBC73878-BC53-4200-A2B6-C2F2E0527AAC (resized).jpeg
    F982508F-9554-4C5F-B499-531394F6F6C6 (resized).jpeg
    4E248FC9-0974-462E-9242-503735D9F3F4 (resized).jpeg
    2D3AED4E-728C-423B-AA1A-BC65047C5B9A.gif
    OTR.gif
    IMG_0355 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0363 (resized).JPG
    popcorns.gif
    IMG_0360 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0362 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0359 (resized).JPG
    worlds_worst_coach_trucker_hat-rcabf536f37e04dbc8095021b9983cf42_eahwj_8byvr_630 (resized).jpg
    7B29A5B0-680F-4306-A606-5CB78CED39B3_4_5005_c (resized).jpeg
    34C7A3AA-F74D-481F-8084-39C43A1199C7 (resized).jpeg
    93BD3918-24E8-44BF-A93F-1AB39CB7D00D (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

9 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

This topic is closed.

There are 10,636 posts in this topic. You are on page 71 of 213.
    #3501 1 year ago

Depends on securing of license..

#3502 1 year ago
    Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

Sorry..Sales question..how many machines Based on the TPB theme would sell in a calendar year? (Ya know budgets;and everything

1 or 3, but no more than 10.

#3503 1 year ago
    Quoted from benheck:

Thank God there aren't 9 other spiteful drunks to fund John up to his dream goal of 10 Whale Units.
    This way he just fails at 10k, instead of failing at 5x his yearly income and getting himself into an even worse financial situation.

But there are more mini whales interested that are not spiteful drunks, after Jon Norris joined in the circus. They are waiting to see what comes out of this, & interested in who the artist the coach might find. We are having lots of whale sightings in eastern Canada, maybe something is awash.

#3504 1 year ago

Besides Pinball Adventures, have there ever been any Canadian manufacturers/game-companies?

#3505 1 year ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

Besides Pinball Adventures, have there ever been any Canadian manufacturers?

There were many way back in time.

#3506 1 year ago

John you spend an awful lot of time on this forum when you have such a short timeline to get a game built...

#3507 1 year ago
    Quoted from greatwichjohn:

There were many way back in time.

Such as?

#3508 1 year ago
    Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

John you spend an awful lot of time on this forum when you have such a short timeline to get a game built...

Build does not start until September 1. Got to stick with the plan. Beer count is zero, later it will be many. Get my best ideas having lots of beer.

#3509 1 year ago

Way back during the depression years, & most modern was likely the home versions of the seventies. Maybe a conversion kit for Bally pins late seventies.

#3510 1 year ago

There was a main distributor based in Ontario called new way sales in the early 80s that I am aware of

#3511 1 year ago

Way back during the depression years, & most modern was likely the home versions of the seventies. Maybe a conversion kit for Bally pins late seventies.

I guess so far the only modern Canadian manufacturer is the Pinball Adventures. He can chime in what his output has been over the years. Still think if he had went after the TPB license it would of been big. The weed business & liquor business is huge in Canada.

#3512 1 year ago
    Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

Sorry..Sales question..how many machines Based on the TPB theme would sell in a calendar year? (Ya know budgets;and everything

I would LOVE a TPB game but not the entry level machine John is making. One of the experienced company's could make a full featured game to handle a license like that.

That's not a slam on John as I think he's doing the best he can with what he's got.

#3513 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

That's not a slam on John as I think he's doing the best he can with what he's got.

You mean Beverly Hills Dreams on a Trailer Park budget?

#3514 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

I would LOVE a TPB game but not the entry level machine John is making. One of the experienced company's could make a full featured game to handle a license like that.

Yes Kim & I still think someone screwed me over with the TPB game. The coach is already thinking about the music for his game, & getting ready to have a few drinks tonight. Weekend is almost here boys!

#3515 1 year ago

I still think someone screwed me over with the TPB game

SMH!!!

#3516 1 year ago

Build does not start until September 1. Got to stick with the plan.

Heaven forbid you get a head start

#3517 1 year ago

Yes Kim & I still think someone screwed me over with the TPB game.

Who? It would have to be a Stern or JJP type. And why would they go after you?
    Sorry John but that just doesn't make sense to me.

#3518 1 year ago

I enjoyed TPB in college 10-15 years ago. Rob Wells is hysterical

I think I'd prefer an original trailer theme over TPB though... I don't know if the license brings that much to the table, besides maybe video clips for a LCD screen and some callouts. I haven't watched the show in forever to see if there is that much good footage that could be made into pinball video content, but it would be a big leg up over starting with a blank slate.

If it's a numeric or alphanumeric game though, then the license doesn't bring much to the table. I think most callouts you might pull from the show could be re-written and would be better off being re-recorded.

#3519 1 year ago
    Quoted from Beechwood:

Heaven forbid you get a head start

I will on the drinking today. Nice summer day, & not to hot. My local bar has on street entertainment, & people in the film or music biz go there. Relax & come up with some more good ideas for the game.

#3520 1 year ago

Top men. Top...men...

#3521 1 year ago

I will on the drinking today. Nice summer day, & not to hot. My local bar has on street entertainment, & people in the film or music biz go there. Relax & come up with some more good ideas for the game.

You talked me into starting early. I got some cabinets to paint myself!

#3522 1 year ago
    Quoted from Beechwood:

Top men. Top...men...

763a2eba19be7173730b5141a19eeeec (resized).jpg763a2eba19be7173730b5141a19eeeec (resized).jpg
    #3523 1 year ago

John, who is going to code your machine, and what is your budget to pay them? This person is going to have to work for almost free...

#3524 1 year ago

Weren’t there two other mini-whales looking to spend money? What were there names? I wrote them down in case GWJ needed them I found it here it is. I wrote down …. Santa Claus and Easter Bunny. Do any of those names mean anything to you? A relative or next door neighbor maybe?

#3525 1 year ago
    Quoted from Tranquilize:

John, who is going to code your machine, and what is your budget to pay them? This person is going to have to work for almost free...

From what I understand, it will not require much, if any, unique coding. It's going to be very basic as far as rules go so something like SkeletonGame can be set up by someone who isn't even a programmer. This switch awards 500 pts, this switch awards 1000, etc.

#3526 1 year ago

Quoted from Mr68:

Who? It would have to be a Stern or JJP type. And why would they go after you?
    Sorry John but that just doesn't make sense to me.

The plot takes an unexpected turn:

Hercule Poirot: there is nothing more amazing than the extraordinary sanity of the insane! Unless it is the extraordinary eccentricity of the sane! - I must ask myself: Who would have had not only the motivation, but the foreknowledge to commit this screwing over? Who would have not only benefited, but precisely because of his role remained unsuspected? And who has been seen countless times wearing a BLACK HAT?

<David Fix looks nervously around>: Perhaps one of the two new start-ups!

#3527 1 year ago

2 1/2 years in the making each contractor from metal to wood to parts to art etc. each costs more than one or two of your mini whales. We are working on the second and third game and I’ve already spent 2 1/2 months Coding. We designed own code and now we will manufacture our own boards to fit this code.
    This code will be available to the public and we will be selling the boards.
    Every time you think you’re finished something pops up that needs to get taken care of and costs money.
    We’re moving next month to a bigger location just to handle the assembly and manufacturing process.

If you think you can build a game with $10,000 all the power to ya. You will get a basic game basic cabinet basic rules and basic theme.

However as a fellow Canadian We are here for you John we have manufactured several of our own parts. And enough brand-new miscellaneous parts from posts to buttons to manufacture thousands of games.
    Just reach out if you need some advice or some thing else.

We would be one of your mini whales but we’re really not interested in a one off game but we can be there for you in other ways.

848EB246-A29F-4AE0-A1C3-025AFAA49B51 (resized).jpeg848EB246-A29F-4AE0-A1C3-025AFAA49B51 (resized).jpeg
    #3528 1 year ago
    Quoted from Tranquilize:

You know how much exposure this person's going to get, you can't count that much exposure in dollar bills!! Or pay bills, but GWJ knows someone needs it!

Same with Audio/video/Art....

#3529 1 year ago
    Quoted from PinballBuzz:

2 1/2 years in the making each contractor from metal to wood to parts to art etc. each costs more than one or two of your mini whales. We are working on the second and third game and I’ve already spent 2 1/2 months Coding. We designed own code and now we will manufacture our own boards to fit this code.
    Every time you think you’re finished something pops up that needs to get taken care of and costs money.
    We’re moving next month to a bigger location just to handle the assembly and manufacturing process.
    If you think you can build a game with $10,000 all the power to ya. You will get a basic game basic cabinet basic rules and basic theme.
    However as a fellow Canadian We are here for you John we have manufactured several of our own parts. And enough brand-new miscellaneous parts from posts to buttons to manufacture thousands of games.
    We would be one of your mini whales but we’re really not interested in a one off game but we can be there for you in other ways.
    [quoted image]

Do you work on "exposure"?

#3530 1 year ago

But there are more mini whales interested that are not spiteful drunks, after Jon Norris joined in the circus.

I’ve been in this hobby for a long time - not once have I ever heard anyone talk about Jon Norris or pine for a new Jon Norris game. No offense, Jon.

#3531 1 year ago

You screwed yourself. You started by selling an IP you don’t have the rights to, then bulldozed toward the license holder with multiple threats. No pinball company who likes making money wants this license. You didn’t get it because you lack professionalism, self awareness, and business sense.

#3532 1 year ago

I still think someone screwed me over with the TPB game.

I guarantee not a single person thinks about you or this thread the second they get off Pinside and live their life, and certainly not enough to spend time and effort to derail you. This is all you.

#3533 1 year ago
    Quoted from PinballBuzz:

[quoted image]

Seems as though you are doing things in manufacturing the right way. But puny factory? I thought it was a joke when I saw the promo video for the first time.

I wish you guys success but hopefully the themes improve in the future to a level that matches your business acumen.

#3534 1 year ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

I’ve been in this hobby for a long time - not once have I ever heard anyone talk about Jon Norris or pine for a new Jon Norris game. No offense, Jon.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #3535 1 year ago

I will address this before we get another 10 e-mails on parts for sale:

Hello
    I'm just curious, does your company offer playfield parts for sale? I like the varitarget on your Punny Factory game and was curious what the cost would be to purchase one complete varitarget assembly. Thanks

We will be offering specialty parts for sale that we had to redesign and manufacturer, that do not have a patent and are not sold with any other distributors.
    This would include a new gravity feed vari-target, LED holders, playfield rail system and a controller board that will help the homebrew guy. Our program will be free to download. Once our first game is released (pushing for Expo) several of these parts will be on our website and in a store on pinside.

#3536 1 year ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

What are you even talking about?

Just keeping things factual.
    Perhaps this is clearer.

Quoted from vdojaq:

You never told anyone until last week that your idea of a pro machine is anything that takes a quarter. For $10K

30 days ago

For $10k US is it going to have a modern display, most likely not! Same with wizard modes, likely not.

#3537 1 year ago

To be fair, if someone simply sent them the link to this thread, that's not screwing you over, that's shedding light on reality and doing them a favor.

#3538 1 year ago

Yes Kim & I still think someone screwed me over with the TPB game. The coach is already thinking about the music for his game, & getting ready to have a few drinks tonight. Weekend is almost here boys!

You solicited a significant amount of money in a public forum for a license you didn't have. If they found this on Google that's an instant NO and a C&D.

You don't have 20-30k for a down payment.

You don't have proof of ability to manufacture.

You don't have enough sales to generate a backend worthy of their time.

If any of this is confusing for you you're in the wrong business. Go back to your beer.

#3539 1 year ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Clearly too long. Have some fucking respect keyboard warrior. I like quite a few of Jon's games and I've owned one for years.

#3540 1 year ago
    Quoted from Tranquilize:

I like quite a few of Jon's games and I've owned one for years.

Which one have you kept?

I've been seeking a Robo-War.

#3541 1 year ago

Where’s Coach? Everybody’s here waiting.
    Meanwhile GWJ realized he has 12 more days to screw around before starting, so maybe he will be going on vacation for a week in the woods, with fresh air and no cell service. Clear his head and come back ready to start thinking about this project, once and for all.

#3542 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

Which one have you kept?
    I've been seeking a Robo-War.

Gladiators. The pf design is crazy good. Read the reviews. I haven't played robo-war. I'll have to check it out.

#3543 1 year ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

Hey Skid Mark.....I mean Dee Bow, how in the world can anyone with 2 cents worth of common sense down vote this?

Simple, I don't believe any of you minions have bent over backwards offering up advice & "free money". Just typing that seems ridiculous. The man is just enjoying himself and not hurting anybody. You just can't seem to take the hint. Your opinion is worthless. He never asked for your advice or what you think! I find it hilarious that you somehow feel like it's so important you need to keep reminding everyone. He's living in your head rent free & i can't believe how much it bugs you he's trying to love his life and doing shit he enjoys doing! Dude, get outside or maybe turn on the pins and try to enjoy the weekend!

#3544 1 year ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Yes, I never worked for WMS.

I’ve been blacklisted for the past 22 years from the pinball industry because I also designed the rule sets for my playfields and pinball savvy coders don’t want to work with me. I no longer require rule set design with my layouts. (I won’t be designing the rule set for TT)

(It has been a very frustrating 22 years)

Here is a list of my game and rule set designs:
    https://www.ipdb.org/search.pl?any=norris&search=Search+Database&searchtype=quick

Here is a link to my YouTube channel:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXf2tzP8Zzn4Fx0y6xn1ENg

I’m proud of the accomplishments I made to pinball:
    Mode Based Pinball- Lights Camera Action-1989, Countdown Hurryup Bonus- Diamond Lady/Victory 1988, Wizard Mode- Hot Shots 1988, Super Jackpot- 1990, Progressive Combo Shot Feature- Cactus Jacks, 1991, Achievements- Shaq Attaq, 1995, Completing all features for a wizard mode- Shaq Attaq, 1995, In-Game Currency- Freddy, 1994. and the Finesse Feature. (See YouTube Video)

#3545 1 year ago
    #3546 1 year ago

Comment deleted as a courtesy.

#3547 1 year ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Length of time in a hobby is meaningless.

#3548 1 year ago

I learned a lesson long ago that likely applies here: Never attribute to conspiracy theory that which can be fully explained otherwise by incompetency.

#3549 1 year ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Give Jon a break. Lots of people love Jon’s games. I’m generally not a Gottlieb fan because management clearly skimped on everything. But Jon’s designs are interesting, and makes me wonder what he could have done at WMS/Bally where there was not as much pressure to crank out games so fast.

#3550 1 year ago
    Quoted from Striker:

Give Jon a break. Lots of people love Jon’s games. I’m generally not a Gottlieb fan because management clearly skimped on everything. But Jon’s designs are interesting, and makes me wonder what he could have done at WMS/Bally where there was not as much pressure to crank out games so fast.

I said “no offense.” He seems nice & is clearly talented. My point to GWJ was that Jon Norris isn’t a “brand” that makes people want to spend $10k on a game built by a guy who’s never built games. The days of “classic designers” being brands is kind of over. Jpop, now an anti-brand. Lawlor and Ritchie? We still love their games, but the names don’t move machines anymore. Elwin is the only designer that’s a “brand” that can sell games.

Quoted from pinballguru:

Yes, I never worked for WMS.
    I’ve been blacklisted for the past 22 years from the pinball industry because I also designed the rule sets for my playfields and pinball savvy coders don’t want to work with me.

Blacklisted? For coming up with rulesets? Elwin creates his own rulesets when designing, so that’s not a blacklistable offense - at least not currently. There’s gotta be another story here. If I had to guess, it prob just came down to Stern picking up ex-B/W talent like Lawlor, Ritchie, and Nordman…and only had so many designer slots to fill.

There are 10,636 posts in this topic. You are on page 71 of 213.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/moby-dick-let-s-talk-whales-and-whale-watching/page/71 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.