Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 10,636 posts
  • 267 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by BeachPickle
  • Topic is favorited by 72 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Trailer Trash-the Pin. The GWJ Chronicles”

• John finds the big whale and makes 1 "super LE CE Bling" Trailer Park Boys pin 17 votes
      11%
    • John finds 10 small whales and makes 10 "pro style homebrew type" Trailer Park Boys pins 11 votes
      7%
    • John buys an aquarium to pass the time until his dreams are realized 128 votes
      82%

(156 votes)

This poll has been closed.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

closed.gif
    EBC73878-BC53-4200-A2B6-C2F2E0527AAC (resized).jpeg
    F982508F-9554-4C5F-B499-531394F6F6C6 (resized).jpeg
    4E248FC9-0974-462E-9242-503735D9F3F4 (resized).jpeg
    2D3AED4E-728C-423B-AA1A-BC65047C5B9A.gif
    OTR.gif
    IMG_0355 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0363 (resized).JPG
    popcorns.gif
    IMG_0360 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0362 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0359 (resized).JPG
    worlds_worst_coach_trucker_hat-rcabf536f37e04dbc8095021b9983cf42_eahwj_8byvr_630 (resized).jpg
    7B29A5B0-680F-4306-A606-5CB78CED39B3_4_5005_c (resized).jpeg
    34C7A3AA-F74D-481F-8084-39C43A1199C7 (resized).jpeg
    93BD3918-24E8-44BF-A93F-1AB39CB7D00D (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

9 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

This topic is closed.

There are 10,636 posts in this topic. You are on page 70 of 213.
    #3451 1 year ago

I don't want bad things to happen people in generally, let alone nice people. John seems like a nice guy. I'll be very happy if he ends up producing a machine (or up to 10) of which he's proud.

#3453 1 year ago
    Quoted from jeffspinballpalace: Keep a diary each day and write your memories.

This thread.

#3454 1 year ago
    Quoted from Jvspin:

Seems possible by TPF, especially with the layout pretty much finished by an experienced designer

Drawing an initial layout is the easy part.

Probably 1% of the work required. If that.

I literally hand drew (pencil and paper) a 3 ramp 2 toy complete layout (and wrote a base ruleset) while I was watching an episode of a TV show last week. That’s the easy part.

The hard parts haven’t even been started yet.

rd

#3455 1 year ago

Money is in play & parts being ordered for build start date of September 1.

#3456 1 year ago

John displays the classic narcissist tendency to see everyone as out to get him. It was others that kept him down at work, it’s others who ruined his pinball side business and now it’s others who are torpedoing his dream pinball.

I’ve sat here and watched people bend over backwards trying to help him with suggestions, offers of help and even free money, all pushed away because everyone is a hater. Yes, there’s been a few trolls but they’re easy to spot and ignore. Instead it all goes out the window because everyone just wants him to fail.

This is how you actually fail - by refusing help when you need it. By thinking you know better than everyone else. By assuming all your problems are because of other people.

I’m sure a game of some description will emerge at some point - probably not on time or budget, but it won’t be amazing or commercially viable in any way. What’s sad is it didn’t have to be so limited.

#3457 1 year ago
    Quoted from greatwichjohn:

Slow down, you’ve almost caught up to Haggis.

#3458 1 year ago

Well I am no better than anyone else. Do not know where you guys keep coming up with this stuff. I listen to good & bad advice here. Working with a good designer, with a solid foundation, & tweaking it my way for a build. Lots of people take great pleasure in trying to trash people & what they want to do.

Not here to start a new pinball manufacturing business, or to waste thousands of hours doing programming. What I am here to do is produce 1 - 10 games in a 6 month build window. Plan is on track, & getting prepared for the build.

I learned much from the big boy & small guy failures over the years in pinball manufacturing. Jpop & others scams to take peoples money & you got zero games. Along with my own personal hardships in life.

#3459 1 year ago

Lots of people take great pleasure in trying to trash people & what they want to do.

Yes they do ... welcome to the internets

#3460 1 year ago

Pinside need a feature where people can report fraud. For too long this site has turned a blind eye as scam after scam is proposed here.

John promising 10 games in 6 months is fraudulent. Granted he won't find 9 other spiteful Icemen to cometh, but the fact he's saying it's possible, and is publicly soliciting funds for such venture, is FRAUD.

#3461 1 year ago
    Quoted from Jvspin:

I think John has already told us. Stern Pro level (coin-op) circa 1980's. Seems possible by TPF, especially with the layout pretty much finished by an experienced designer.

Sorry, twist of words. That's not a Pro Model Stern. Doesn't matter, we are all very clear at this point. The OP was just summarizing,

#3462 1 year ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

John displays the classic narcissist tendency to see everyone as out to get him. It was others that kept him down at work, it’s others who ruined his pinball side business and now it’s others who are torpedoing his dream pinball.
    I’ve sat here and watched people bend over backwards trying to help him with suggestions, offers of help and even free money, all pushed away because everyone is a hater. Yes, there’s been a few trolls but they’re easy to spot and ignore. Instead it all goes out the window because everyone just wants him to fail.
    This is how you actually fail - by refusing help when you need it. By thinking you know better than everyone else. By assuming all your problems are because of other people.
    I’m sure a game of some description will emerge at some point - probably not on time or budget, but it won’t be amazing or commercially viable in any way. What’s sad is it didn’t have to be so limited.

The absolute truth could not have been written better. Great post

#3463 1 year ago
    Quoted from benheck:

Pinside need a feature where people can report fraud. For too long this site has turned a blind eye as scam after scam is proposed here.
    John promising 10 games in 6 months is fraudulent. Granted he won't find 9 other spiteful Icemen to cometh, but the fact he's saying it's possible, and is publicly soliciting funds for such venture, is FRAUD.

C'mon Ben..we're here for ya

show-me-on-this-doll-oe-where-the-internet-hurt-you-33228837 (resized).pngshow-me-on-this-doll-oe-where-the-internet-hurt-you-33228837 (resized).png
    #3464 1 year ago
    Quoted from benheck:

Come on Ben lighten up. 1 - 10 games can be done by myself with the help of contractors (team). It is much easier to do, with a well versed game designer on board like Jon Norris. There is much more in play than meets the eye here. Everything has to be reasonable now that it is the $10k USD mini whale build. It will be a pro level pinball machine that could be operated today, not the modern day versions that take a shit load of people & money to bring into mass production.

No fraud has been done. Everything is in the open for all to see: The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly! Doug already has 10% down, & as people can clearly see what stuff is going to cost to build a game. If Jon Norris wants to post up the detailed parts list that will be helping me out you will see some of the costs involved.

Everything will be recorded for either 1 owner or multiple owners. They will see where the money goes for parts & contractors during the build. So there is no big deposit or all money required before each game goes into production.

Doug has the option of buying a second game in the Fall if he wishes, same with me if I wish to allow people I know to get into the build. Most people want to see more of what the final pin will look like & play. But for everyone else that might be interested you can still go on a interested list with zero money required before September 1, 2022. This still does not mean you will get a chance at a game for sure. I will be watching the costs, & if it looks bad it will be only the 1 or 2 built for SXSW & TPF in Texas next March 2023.

#3465 1 year ago

Come on Ben lighten up. 1 - 10 games can be done by myself with the help of contractors (team). It is much easier to do, with a well versed game designer on board like Jon Norris. There is much more in play than meets the eye here. Everything has to be reasonable now that it is the $10k USD mini whale build. It will be a pro level pinball machine that could be operated today, not the modern day versions that take a shit load of people & money to bring into mass production.
    No fraud has been done. Everything is in the open for all to see: The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly! Doug already has 10% down, & as people can clearly see what stuff is going to cost to build a game. If Jon Norris wants to post up the detailed parts list that will be helping me out you will see some of the costs involved.
    Everything will be recorded for either 1 owner or multiple owners. They will see where the money goes for parts & contractors during the build. So there is no big deposit or all money required before each game goes into production.

This all kind of reminds me of the Mafia pinball build. Just a passionate team of people, building a pro level machine that could be operated today at a price that is roughly $10k today.

#3466 1 year ago

It's Alive!!! I think you got this John. Rootin' for ya!

ItsAlive (resized).pngItsAlive (resized).png
    #3467 1 year ago

What I am here to do is produce 1 - 10 games in a 6 month build window. Plan is on track, & getting prepared for the build.

John, the only person you are fooling is yourself. Plain and simple, you will never build 10 games in 6 months. I am not trying to trash you or your idea, it's just reality. Rome was not built in a day and 10 fully completed pinball machines will not be built by you or any single person in 6 months.

Keep with coach and your 1 - 2 games and you can make it happen.

#3468 1 year ago

It will be a pro level pinball machine that could be operated today, not the modern day versions that take a shit load of people & money to bring into mass production.

John, that is NOT a pro level machine. Pro machines ARE modern day machines. You keep changing the definition to fit your narrative. However, that is not reality.

#3469 1 year ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

Even if he get's one or two complete working games that can be routed it wanted it would be a great acheivment!

I think 10 would be a monumental task but who knows?

#3470 1 year ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

John, the only person you are fooling is yourself. Plain and simple, you will never build 10 games in 6 months. I am not trying to trash you or your idea, it's just reality. Rome was not built in a day and 10 fully completed pinball machines will not be built by you or any single person in 6 months.

Common sense, & if things look ok. More people can join the build team to make it happen up to the 10 in 6 months.

#3471 1 year ago

Oops

#3472 1 year ago

Common sense, & if things look ok. More people can join the build team to make it happen up to the 10 in 6 months.

Considering the lack of 5 bank targets in stock, building 10 games may require you to...*gasp* ... spend $100 less per unit from Planetary.

#3473 1 year ago

Nobody else is going to join. You have the one and only person stupid enough to invest, so don’t let him go. Focus on building 1 game. Not 1-2, not up to 10, 1 pin for one mini-whale. Keep it simple.

#3474 1 year ago
    Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Nobody else is going to join. You have the one and only person stupid enough to invest, so don’t let him go. Focus on building 1 game. Not 1-2, not up to 10, 1 pin for one mini-whale. Keep it simple.

John , he is somewhat right. You told everyone a Stern Pro Style Machine. You never told anyone until last week that your idea of a pro machine is anything that takes a quarter. For $10K , no one is going to invest that kind of money with the goal posts being moved so drastically.

Build your 1 or 2 machines, get it to TPF, let the public see it and then take orders for interested parties. That is the ONLY way you are going to get more orders

#3475 1 year ago

More people can join the build team to make it happen up to the 10 in 6 months.

Who? Santa Claus and the Seven Dwarfs?

#3476 1 year ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

Pound down a 6 pack of beer and think again.
    This is going to happen!

#3477 1 year ago
    Quoted from homebrood:

I think 10 would be a monumental task but who knows?

You going to put of $10K for one to be built?

Didn't think so.

#3478 1 year ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

Dude I don't know how you do it, but you are just banging your head against the wall over and over again. For your own mental health, just stop lol We know it's a trainwreck, we know it's not gonna work we know it's it's DEAD before it even starts.

#3479 1 year ago

Well the locals here are coming around to the build idea, & wait to see it. So there are more mini whales even in my area that have perked up with a Jon Norris game design. Guys with money, & serious pinball collections.

I did find out this morning that the TPB director was not spoken to, same with the actors by myself or my friends. So the C & D language & lack of interest by their license company towards a TPB pinball machine is with them.

#3480 1 year ago

I do think there is some demand for single level games with approachable rules. TNA of course, but The Beatles is one of my favorite Sterns of recent years. The rules are simple but so good on Beatles, with a refined classic layout.

The Beatles level depth of code would be a huge achievement. If they can even get the rules to that level with some not totally obnoxious sound effects, it’s a rousing success.

#3481 1 year ago

Can’t wait for that penalty box smash open!

#3482 1 year ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

You going to put of $10K for one to be built?
    Didn't think so.

You have a point there. Still want to watch the show though! Should be fun to see what he comes up with...

#3483 1 year ago

Well the locals here are coming around to the build idea, & wait to see it. So there are more mini whales even in my area that have perked up with a Jon Norris game design. Guys with money, & serious pinball collections.
    I did find out this morning that the TPB director was not spoken to, same with the actors by myself or my friends. So the C & D language & lack of interest by their license company towards a TPB pinball machine is with them.

Does that not change the design John? That’s great news regarding the TPB license

#3484 1 year ago
    Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

Does that not change the design John? That’s great news regarding the TPB license

You never know with TPB. Could be dead, or maybe some bigger company made contact. It would be funny if Pinball Adventures reached out for it.

https://www.pinballadventures.com/punny-factory-2/

Bill is customer #1
    https://www.pinballadventures.com/punny-progress-page/

#3485 1 year ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

ohn , he is somewhat right. You told everyone a Stern Pro Style Machine. You never told anyone until last week that your idea of a pro machine is anything that takes a quarter. For $10K , no one is going to invest that kind of money with the goal posts being moved so drastically.

That's not correct. John set expectations when he started concentrating more on the mini-whale option as the Big Whale was looking hard to find. This was from 30 days ago.

All I can say is that they will be fully playing & very good looking pinball machines. Just like anything you would see operated in the electronic era. For $10k US is it going to have a modern display, most likely not! Same with wizard modes, likely not. It will not be a box of lights, & non fully playing game like Magic Girl

I interpreted that as coin op, numeric dispay era at minimum to alpha numeric display maximum.

Iceman has to step up to the Big Whale $100k level to get the Stern Pro level 2020 era model.

#3486 1 year ago
    Quoted from Jvspin:

That's not correct. John set expectations when he started concentrating more on the mini-whale option as the Big Whale was looking hard to find. This was from 30 days ago.

Iceman has to step up to the Big Whale $100k level to get the Stern Pro level 2020 era model.

Doug is happy with the mini whale build. The coach is on the hunt for a good artist to really get things cooking.

#3487 1 year ago

Don't hate what you can't imitate .

#3488 1 year ago

Try contacting Brad Albright. He does pinball art. I have one of his pieces and really like it.

I think he also did the playfield art for rotodaves Led Zeppelin retheme project

#3489 1 year ago

I can See one day a crowd holding up John at a pinball show chanting Rudy!

#3490 1 year ago
    Quoted from Jvspin:

What are you even talking about?

#3491 1 year ago
    Quoted from Roostking:

For your own mental health, just stop lol We know it's a trainwreck, we know it's not gonna work we know it's it's DEAD before it even starts.

Yes, it is a trainwreck. But now that we know he is building a classic style machine with numeric displays, basic rules and layout, that makes it doable. So, no it's NOT dead.

#3492 1 year ago
    Quoted from Dee-Bow:

Don't hate what you can't imitate .

Listen, could you get your nose anymore brown?

#3493 1 year ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

Hey Skid Mark.....I mean Dee Bow, how in the world can anyone with 2 cents worth of common sense down vote this?

#3494 1 year ago

Thank God there aren't 9 other spiteful drunks to fund John up to his dream goal of 10 Whale Units.

This way he just fails at 10k, instead of failing at 5x his yearly income and getting himself into an even worse financial situation.

#3495 1 year ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

Hey Skid Mark.....I mean Dee Bow, how in the world can anyone with 2 cents worth of common sense down vote this?

You answered your own question lol

#3496 1 year ago

I love the triggering that happens every time GWJ mentions Go Fund Me. Why would he stop? It's comedy gold.

I don't remember Ice's beef with PPS, but do remember him saying in CCr hype thread he would never use them as a distributor for a CGC game. He seems good with CGC.

#3497 1 year ago

Sorry..Sales question..how many machines Based on the TPB theme would sell in a calendar year? (Ya know budgets;and everything

#3498 1 year ago

You never know with TPB. Could be dead, or maybe some bigger company made contact. It would be funny if Pinball Adventures reached out for it.
    https://www.pinballadventures.com/punny-factory-2/
    Bill is customer #1
    https://www.pinballadventures.com/punny-progress-page/

Not our style

#3499 1 year ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

I love the triggering that happens every time GWJ mentions Go Fund Me. Why would he stop? It's comedy gold.

Along with him ignoring what they consider very well thought out, can't ignore, must acknowledge and say you will follow advice

Some of you must really have a undisclosed vested interest in this project ...
    maybe there are secret mini whales swimming here that have not surfaced
    pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#3500 1 year ago
    Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

Sorry..Sales question..how many machines Based on the TPB theme would sell in a calendar year? (Ya know budgets;and everything

Zero

There are 10,636 posts in this topic. You are on page 70 of 213.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/moby-dick-let-s-talk-whales-and-whale-watching/page/70 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.