Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 10,636 posts
  • 267 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by BeachPickle
  • Topic is favorited by 72 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Trailer Trash-the Pin. The GWJ Chronicles”

• John finds the big whale and makes 1 "super LE CE Bling" Trailer Park Boys pin 17 votes
      11%
    • John finds 10 small whales and makes 10 "pro style homebrew type" Trailer Park Boys pins 11 votes
      7%
    • John buys an aquarium to pass the time until his dreams are realized 128 votes
      82%

(156 votes)

This poll has been closed.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

closed.gif
    EBC73878-BC53-4200-A2B6-C2F2E0527AAC (resized).jpeg
    F982508F-9554-4C5F-B499-531394F6F6C6 (resized).jpeg
    4E248FC9-0974-462E-9242-503735D9F3F4 (resized).jpeg
    2D3AED4E-728C-423B-AA1A-BC65047C5B9A.gif
    OTR.gif
    IMG_0355 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0363 (resized).JPG
    popcorns.gif
    IMG_0360 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0362 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0359 (resized).JPG
    worlds_worst_coach_trucker_hat-rcabf536f37e04dbc8095021b9983cf42_eahwj_8byvr_630 (resized).jpg
    7B29A5B0-680F-4306-A606-5CB78CED39B3_4_5005_c (resized).jpeg
    34C7A3AA-F74D-481F-8084-39C43A1199C7 (resized).jpeg
    93BD3918-24E8-44BF-A93F-1AB39CB7D00D (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

9 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

This topic is closed.

There are 10,636 posts in this topic. You are on page 67 of 213.
    #3301 1 year ago

You have probably said already, but 2 weeks to go until what?

#3302 1 year ago
    Quoted from greatwichjohn:

Redneck is the first word. Next word might be hard.

What’s so hard about Redneck Turds?

Another problem with title of thread is it features Jon Norris? He’s the main character? His images and sounds are in the game? It’s a story about his life? I don’t think he is featured. He is contributing design services so you may wish to highlight him as a team member. Featuring Jon Norris, not so much.

#3303 1 year ago
    Quoted from RCA1:

You have probably said already, but 2 weeks to go until what?

'Til the next 2 week deadline

#3304 1 year ago

Must be time for the loop. Sept. 1 build starts, next 2 weeks or less closes out the sales. Beer count zero

#3305 1 year ago

Time keeps on slippin', slippin', slippin'
    Into the future

#3306 1 year ago

Redneck Rodeo

#3307 1 year ago

Order lines are still open. Act fast, only 9 mini-whale spots remain. We’ll tell you the theme once you give us an email address that checks out ok. Unless you have a good idea and then we’ll switch the main theme to be it. You’ll find out soon enough that I am very flexible. I’ve been practicing yoga for years.

#3308 1 year ago
    Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Order lines are still open. Act fast, only 9 mini-whale spots remain. We’ll tell you the theme once you give us an email address that checks out ok. Unless you have a good idea and then we’ll switch the main theme to be it. You’ll find out soon enough that I am very flexible. I’ve been practicing yoga for years.

I do not like Yoga, but I like to drink beer.

#3309 1 year ago
    Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

If the rules and sounds are basic and not too game specific (sounds like it), you might as well let every mini-whale have the option to change the artwork to what they want. John can get a copy of the CAD file from the wood shop, then mini-whales can give it to their preferred artist who can send their final art to the print shop.

It would complicate things in an already complicated process, but this thread isn't about doing things the easy way.

#3310 1 year ago

It's still early.

#3311 1 year ago

But have you tried drinking beer while doing yoga?

EMFw39.gifEMFw39.gif
    #3312 1 year ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

If the rules and sounds are basic and not too game specific (sounds like it), you might as well let every mini-whale have the option to change the artwork to what they want. John can get a copy of the CAD file from the wood shop, then mini-whales can give it to their preferred artist who can send their final art to the print shop.
    It would complicate things in an already complicated process, but this thread isn't about doing things the easy way.

That’s funny you brought up CAD drawings because John already received one cad letter for the TPB license. At least the legal system has his address correctly and when Ice asks GWJ to theme his copy after WNBJM, cad letters will be zooming across the ethos.

#3313 1 year ago

So pre-orders on a game that doesn't exist... This has to be some kind of Pinside record, no?

John, Ice is only funding this out of spite. You're not going to find any other MINI Whales who then I guess become coaches?

#3314 1 year ago

The coach is in a good frame of mind tonight, on his birthday. I plan on having a few beers later this evening, raise a few for the coach! He says he still might go for a second one with Trailer Trash theme if no one else is interested. If there is only a few I do not mind different art packages. But the layout will remain the same for both.

Ben I will have to get back to you later after having a few beers.

#3315 1 year ago

Waiting for some side bets to start popping up in this thread, as we clearly have naysayers and supporters. Seems Ben should be willing to accept just about any wager

#3316 1 year ago

Well Doug has given some cash for the start of buying parts for the whitewood. So there is Trailer Trash #1 gone, or Redneck Riviera.

#3317 1 year ago

Well Doug has given some cash for the start of buying parts for the whitewood. So there is Trailer Trash #1 gone, or Redneck Riviera.

Bens bible game is safe from me using ever. Same with Food Truck.

#3318 1 year ago
    Quoted from rosh:

Waiting for some side bets to start popping up in this thread, as we clearly have naysayers and supporters. Seems Ben should be willing to accept just about any wager

Some kind of betting pool on what state this will be in at TPF, whoever is closest wins?

#3319 1 year ago
    Quoted from rosh:

I'm a supporter, as I hope he succeeds. I am also a naysayer due to the 6 month timeline, that's really short.

I guess my bet is a push...

#3320 1 year ago
    Quoted from benheck:

Some kind of betting pool on what state this will be in at TPF, whoever is closest wins?

I’m going with physical hardware present, rough art with alignment issues, Gottlieb System 1 level of depth of rules, minimal assets on a LCD screen, minimal sound effects, minor EMI issues related to wiring.

I’ll toss in $50 into a charity betting pool. Winner gets to name the charity the pool goes to.

My charity is St Jude Children’s Hospital.

#3321 1 year ago

Yes some body should have a betting pool up here. Does not bother me, or likely Doug.

#3322 1 year ago

Just admit you're not building a 'Stern PRO style' game in 6 months as you originally promised.
    It's a Solid State style like Funhouse etc.

#3323 1 year ago
    Quoted from miracleman:

Just admit you're not building a 'Stern PRO style' game in 6 months as you originally promised.

Bruh, if it is “Funhouse” level in six months I will increase my charity donation to $500. Not happening

#3324 1 year ago

Yes some body should have a betting pool up here. Does not bother me, or likely Doug.

Started beer #1

#3325 1 year ago
    Quoted from miracleman:

Not allowed to drop any more further hints while betting is taking place. You will have to guess on your own. Breadcrumbs are everywhere if you look or not.

#3326 1 year ago

Sandwich John leaving bread crumbs like Hansel

I’m two deep, but they were tall boys. That’s all for the night though

#3327 1 year ago

Greatwich quote of the day.

#3328 1 year ago

Doing a Town Branch on a giant rock + Fuente.

PXL_20220817_224311661 (resized).jpgPXL_20220817_224311661 (resized).jpg
    #3329 1 year ago

Rednecking.

Inject some lovemaking into the equation. Double entendres have been historically popular in pinball, e.g. Hit the Deck, Scared Stiff.

#3330 1 year ago

Had 4 beers tonight. Looking for some parts now. Like I said money in play for Trailer Trash #1 version from Doug.

#3331 1 year ago
    Quoted from rosh:

Wagers? Nope. You can't wager on something that keeps changing the rules.

#3332 1 year ago

I'll wager $1,000 (US) that this thread does not die for at least 6 months from lack of interest (barring it being locked).

#3333 1 year ago
    Quoted from benheck:

I’ll start. Texas?

#3334 1 year ago

Key part found & ordered. Going back in time. Will get new targets after testing. Only 2 available, so max of 2 games will be built.
    https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/500-5621-05

#3335 1 year ago

Rodeo Redneck!!!! Combine the initial promise of a super blinged out pin, with the simple tastes of The Beverly Hillbillies. Plus you got Elly May, so the TnA bases are covered.

This might work!!

Screenshot_20220817-194419_Chrome (resized).jpgScreenshot_20220817-194419_Chrome (resized).jpgrodeo-drive-sign-beverly-hills_u-l-f7pgm00 (resized).jpgrodeo-drive-sign-beverly-hills_u-l-f7pgm00 (resized).jpg
    #3336 1 year ago

Key part found & ordered. Going back in time. Will get new targets after testing. Only 2 available, so max of 2 games will be built.

Make that three…
    ebay.com link: itm

#3338 1 year ago

(Delete)

#3339 1 year ago

"I'm gonna make 10 copies of a game!"

"Using what parts?"

"A very over-priced, no longer built, nearly unobtainium 5 bank drop target!"

#3340 1 year ago

There goes 2% of the entire budget. I wonder what the budgeted BOM is? It will go very fast buying at retail….

#3341 1 year ago
    Quoted from cliff_clavin:

There goes 2% of the entire budget. I wonder what the budgeted BOM is? It will go very fast buying at retail….

He bought 2. He is at 4%

You are correct building a pin from scratch by buying replacement NOS parts is gonna be an expensive proposition. Sure hope nothing changes on the design. Can’t count how many times my $500 expenditure during a development project goes on the scrap heap because we are forced to change the design to accommodate some new problem identified during testing. It’s this part of engineering that a non engineer like John just doesn’t get.

Icey will likely be getting his pin plus a big box of “extra” parts he bought. My guess 2 backglasses, 2-3 whitewoods, a dozen or so mechs, a couple of displays, and a main board or two. Then again if nobody care how it shoots or holds up he might get away with a mostly functional prototype and not so many extra parts.

#3342 1 year ago
    Quoted from greatwichjohn:Key part found & ordered. Going back in time. Will get new targets after testing. Only 2 available, so max of 2 games will be built.

Did you also buy 2 sets of targets?
    "It is not recommended to use these drop targets in your game, as they are over 25 years old, and very brittle."

#3343 1 year ago
    Quoted from pookycade:

He bought 2. He is at 4%

Shipping to Canada, 5%

#3344 1 year ago
    Quoted from miracleman:

"It is not recommended to use these drop targets in your game, as they are over 25 years old, and very brittle."

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #3345 1 year ago
    Quoted from sanctumwear:

2 more NOS all cheaper than Marco

GWJ maybe you should post what you are planning to order and how much it is. The Pinside army is a resource that could save you a lot of money. $64 (about 16%) could have been saved on those two target banks alone.

#3346 1 year ago

I'm still confused about why a 5 bank was chosen or a 7 bank proposed. The easily available drops are in sets of 1 and 3, sometimes you can get 4. I thought the point was to have off the shelf parts.

Anyhow, for 1-2 games it's probably fine.

Could have split the difference and put two 3 banks side by side.

#3347 1 year ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

I'm still confused about why a 5 bank was chosen or a 7 bank proposed.

Literally... MONEY. (5 bank)

Trailer... (7 bank)

#3348 1 year ago
    Quoted from miracleman:

Did we consider this perhaps more like an art installation, where the targets and other plastics break, the bands snap, and there is lots of duct tape. I mean it’s fitting with the theme is it not ?

#3349 1 year ago

Also we can start running through some cost estimates here. There isn't that much going on

4 pops x $50
    3 spinners x $25
    3 flippers x $45
    1 ball trough x $100
    1 ball trough ball guide x $35
    1 auto launch assembly x $60
    1 uppost x $40
    3 slings x $45
    8 rollover switches & mount x $4.5
    10 standups x $8

That's $1,000 in playfield parts, not counting ball guides, posts, rubbers, support rails, lenses, etc.

A Fast starter bundle should get them most of the stuff they'll need (which by the way is out of stock, order now). That's $650

A minicomputer $150

Probably $200 in wires, crimps, connectors, etc

Basic speakers and amp $100

Basic display $50

A cut playfield with art applied. $500-750?

A cabinet with associated trim and hardware $800-1,000?

We're at about $5k with a donated playfield design, no art, no code.

#3350 1 year ago
    Quoted from Beechwood:

GWJ maybe you should post what you are planning to order and how much it is. The Pinside army is a resource that could save you a lot of money. $64 (about 16%) could have been saved on those two target banks alone.

Why? Your helping someone that doesn't think he needs any help. This purchase is a prime example of not taking the extra few minutes to investigate possible other sources. It's called no effort.

Comes here and pounds his chest ......I got the only 2! Yet, minutes later, there are 3 more for his choosing at a lower cost.

Now honestly the best result out of all of this is he is capping all this nonsense at 2 machines now. No more seeing the ridiculous 1 or 2 , but up to 10 games to be built.

We are now at 2. Hope he leaves it at 2!

There are 10,636 posts in this topic. You are on page 67 of 213.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/moby-dick-let-s-talk-whales-and-whale-watching/page/67 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.