Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 10,636 posts
  • 267 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by BeachPickle
  • Topic is favorited by 72 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Trailer Trash-the Pin. The GWJ Chronicles”

• John finds the big whale and makes 1 "super LE CE Bling" Trailer Park Boys pin 17 votes
      11%
    • John finds 10 small whales and makes 10 "pro style homebrew type" Trailer Park Boys pins 11 votes
      7%
    • John buys an aquarium to pass the time until his dreams are realized 128 votes
      82%

(156 votes)

This poll has been closed.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

closed.gif
    EBC73878-BC53-4200-A2B6-C2F2E0527AAC (resized).jpeg
    F982508F-9554-4C5F-B499-531394F6F6C6 (resized).jpeg
    4E248FC9-0974-462E-9242-503735D9F3F4 (resized).jpeg
    2D3AED4E-728C-423B-AA1A-BC65047C5B9A.gif
    OTR.gif
    IMG_0355 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0363 (resized).JPG
    popcorns.gif
    IMG_0360 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0362 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0359 (resized).JPG
    worlds_worst_coach_trucker_hat-rcabf536f37e04dbc8095021b9983cf42_eahwj_8byvr_630 (resized).jpg
    7B29A5B0-680F-4306-A606-5CB78CED39B3_4_5005_c (resized).jpeg
    34C7A3AA-F74D-481F-8084-39C43A1199C7 (resized).jpeg
    93BD3918-24E8-44BF-A93F-1AB39CB7D00D (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

9 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

This topic is closed.

There are 10,636 posts in this topic. You are on page 51 of 213.
    #2501 1 year ago
    Quoted from greatwichjohn:

No I believe it was presented that Go Fund Me was it. I was not allowed to seek others. Not fair to Jon Norris, it is a per game deal in the build. If I am wrong about that part, that is why I bailed. I have always stated my build timeline of 6 months. 1-10 games
    What I said was if 9 were found, 10 would be reserved for the Go Fund Me. It could extend to the Fall or December 31 if needed. I only go public when the $11k US was reached.

At least for me you were right about that part. I had no desire to collectively purchase 1 pin. I had a desire to help out someone who at that time seemingly had no options, and see if he could make it work. Apparently you believe you have options beyond charity. That’s fine, but those non charity options have significant financial obligations to the investors that I really hope you are aware of. I fear you really have only looked at the reward and completely minimize the risk here.

#2502 1 year ago

Very true, glad I got to retire early with Rule of 80 at age 56. Just like many others. The junior employee was not a kid!

Seems retirement was a bad idea.

#2503 1 year ago
    Quoted from Roostking:

Ah, so its you always calling the mods on me..

Nope, wasn't me.

#2504 1 year ago
    Quoted from Roostking:

Dee-bow, your off the hook for now.
    He is still a fraud, the theft part is yet to be revealed. He claims to be able to do things, he cant. Is that fraud or not?
    Oxford seems to think so.
    a person or thing intended to deceive others, typically by unjustifiably claiming or being credited with accomplishments or qualities.
    "mediums exposed as tricksters and frauds"
    Anyway. Call the mods, again

Fraud only if:

1. Takes money from his investors.
    2. Promises investors he can deliver a Stern Pro level pin.
    3. Investors are investing because they believe they will get a Stern Pro pin.
    4. John does not deliver a Stern Pro pin.

In John’s case it would likely be ignorant fraud versus planned fraud. Ignorant fraud in that he truly believes he can deliver something he actually cannot. Unfortunately that is what we have been mostly dealing with here in the Boutique. Nobody making these pins planned to rip off anyone. They just did because of ignorant fraud. Ignorant fraud also has a bad tendency to dig the hole deeper when it realizes it is over its head in a plan gone off the rails …. see JPOP and Deeproot for examples

#2505 1 year ago
    Quoted from Roostking:

Dee-bow, your off the hook for now.

BMKMw8EW0jBKgATrKjKlSbZQPgc5-MZ4jXONVn2bfcA (resized).jpgBMKMw8EW0jBKgATrKjKlSbZQPgc5-MZ4jXONVn2bfcA (resized).jpg
    #2506 1 year ago

Yes just like others saying 100 or 300 games. 1 or up to 10 pinball machines in 6 months is more realistic. Even years ago I stated in the Deeproot Pinball thread they should just contract out Jpop games & be done with it.

#2507 1 year ago

It was stated it was likely $11k US with Go Fund Me, other single whales are $10k US. Like said it could run until the Fall or December 31 if needed. You guys likely think it could be done in 24 hours of going public, or days, less than a week. Who really knows unless it is done. I still move forward with the build September 1.

Yes, we would have to raise $11k US. BUT you don't need to know how or where it comes from, as long as you get a check for $10k US , correct?

Hell, we could probably raise enough to be two mini whales. We are a smart, successful collective.

#2508 1 year ago
    Quoted from pookycade:

Fraud only if:
    1. Takes money from his investors.
    2. Promises investors he can deliver a Stern Pro level pin.
    3. Investors are investing because they believe they will get a Stern Pro pin.
    4. John does not deliver a Stern Pro pin.
    In John’s case it would likely be ignorant fraud versus planned fraud. Ignorant fraud in that he truly believes he can deliver something he actually cannot. Unfortunately that is what we have been mostly dealing with here in the Boutique. Nobody making these pins planned to rip off anyone. They just did because of ignorant fraud. Ignorant fraud also has a bad tendency to dig the hole deeper when it realizes it is over its head in a plan gone off the rails …. see JPOP and Deeproot for examples

The Oxford dictionary did not give different definitions of fraud versus ignorant or non ignorant fraud.

#2509 1 year ago
    Quoted from Beechwood:

Yes, we would have to raise $11k US. BUT you don't need to know how or where it comes from, as long as you get a check for $10k US , correct?
    Hell, we could probably raise enough to be two mini whales. We are a smart, successful collective.

I could care less where it comes from. Like I said if the money is there it goes public. So if the Go Fund Me reaches the goal of $11k US which should be around $10k US like the other whales in the pod it goes public for the build info. It will be money on demand stages of production just like anyone else involved.

#2510 1 year ago
    Quoted from Beechwood:

Just pull together the $10k and save the extra $1k.

Should be able to do it with a small group. The build journey should be worth the price of admission.

Plus we get to publicly see Rare and Benny’s heads twist off in the process. And that is priceless!

#2511 1 year ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Just pull together the $10k and save the extra $1k.
    Should be able to do it with a small group. The build journey should be worth the price of admission.

Yes. I'd chip in $25 for the build journey.

#2512 1 year ago

I could care less where it comes from.

Glad you finally realize this. That's basically why I (we) were confused. You shut it down when it didn't matter where it came from, as long as it helped you build your dream. You should have said "go fund me all you want, as long as you come up with $10k US for the build.

Not sure if it still has a high level of support anymore but at least we've cleared a few things up.

Now get busy and start building that bad-ass pin!

#2513 1 year ago
    Quoted from Roostking:

Seems retirement was a bad idea.

I think he posted in the Stargazer/Seawitch playfield thread that his health wouldn't allow him to continue his pool water testing job, so he got a transfer to another department..... STREET REPAIR! (or something equally insane hard labor) Not sure he made it one day on that before wisely retiring.

I'm tellin'ya, it's PMS, Pinball Munchausen Syndrome.

#2514 1 year ago
    Quoted from Beechwood:

Not sure if it still has a high level of support anymore but at least we've cleared a few things up.

Yeah, no, not for me. I'll sit this one out.
    Good luck to all.

#2515 1 year ago
    Quoted from Roostking:

The Oxford dictionary did not give different definitions of fraud versus ignorant or non ignorant fraud.

Well they all place in jail anyway so it’s really only semantics at the end

#2516 1 year ago
    Quoted from Roostking:

Well they all place in jail anyway so it’s really only semantics at the end

#2517 1 year ago

I feel at this point we're all poking sticks at a confused old man, and watching him spin around and babble for our amusement.

#2519 1 year ago
    Quoted from benheck:

I feel at this point we're all poking sticks at a confused old man, and watching him spin around and babble for our amusement.

I'm gonna sit back now and see what transpires over the next 6 months. Should be interesting in the least.

#2520 1 year ago
    Quoted from Beechwood:

Not sure if it still has a high level of support anymore

LOL

it opens up the #10 build slot for some lucky mini-whale tho!
    unless John continues to keep that slot reserved, because that is the plan

#2521 1 year ago

No I believe it was presented that Go Fund Me was it. I was not allowed to seek others. Not fair to Jon Norris, it is a per game deal in the build. If I am wrong about that part, that is why I bailed. I have always stated my build timeline of 6 months. 1-10 games
    What I said was if 9 were found, 10 would be reserved for the Go Fund Me. It could extend to the Fall or December 31 if needed. I only go public when the $11k US was reached.

I never recall it being presented this way or how a close reading of what was presented would result in this misinterpretation (though I'm not going to re-read dozens of pages to confirm that it was not).

#2522 1 year ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

I have been following that for a week now on KLOV because there was a few games on that list that made my eyes pop. No pictures and lots of red flags.......

Link?

#2523 1 year ago

Here's the Pinside link. I assume you'll find the KLOV link in there.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/klov-community-scam

#2524 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

Yeah, no, not for me. I'll sit this one out.
    Good luck to all.

Same here. My offers are no longer in play. If someone has to be force fed the obvious, I ain't playing.

#2525 1 year ago

I think this is the part of the plan where IT DIES.

You simply can't help someone who doesn't want help, and if you think for a moment that donating to a dream idea here is a good idea, remember that your advice and offers for help will continue to be ignored, despite the fact that you have invested any amount of good will.

Ben is right. This is a side-show thread and we need to let it rest.

#2526 1 year ago
    Quoted from miracleman:

I think all this gofundme $$$ would be better spent if given to one of the competent homebrew projects, like MAD MAX FURY ROAD or FIGHT CLUB.

undoubtedly, there are more worthy projects out there. the one that came to my mind was the team in california who were interrupted midstream while building THE LAST STARFIGHTER.

#2527 1 year ago
    Quoted from greenhornet:THE LAST STARFIGHTER.

YES!

#2528 1 year ago

Yes to your first request. But he likely is not coming on this thread.
    No the Tour de France pin design is not being used!

Like I said last time, with due respect I am not asking you. I am looking for independent verification that Jon Norris has confirmed he is the game designer of your project. “Independent verification” = not you.

I mentioned Tour de France because Jon has recently announced that is his current project. Game designers tend to work on one project at a time. Thus he wouldn’t have time to work on your project.

#2529 1 year ago
    Quoted from greenhornet:

undoubtedly, there are more worthy projects out there. the one that came to my mind was the team in california who were interrupted midstream while building THE LAST STARFIGHTER.

Agreed - that was a cool build and came together for the initial part insanely fast before it died. Dunno if $ could resurrect it though. Love to see mad max finished as well.. think it’s just a matter of time but if money would help Id donate.

#2530 1 year ago
    Quoted from Striker:

Like I said last time, with due respect I am not asking you. I am looking for independent verification that Jon Norris has confirmed he is the game designer of your project. “Independent verification” = not you.
    I mentioned Tour de France because Jon has recently announced that is his current project. Game designers tend to work on one project at a time. Thus he wouldn’t have time to work on your project.

Jon is active on pinside and FB. You can private message him or tag him in a post.

#2531 1 year ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

No one is abusing you.

Seems like a he's endured a bunch of verbal abuse

Quoted from Rarehero:

Sandwich Clown ....... and then Clown .....

Quoted from Rarehero:

Plan C: You drink $100k in beer & write more delusional posts resulting in destroying your reputation even further.

Quoted from Rarehero:

By a bankrupt drunk & a bunch of retirees who know nothing about working in modern pinball manufacturing?

Quoted from Rarehero:

It’s just poking fun at Sandwich Clown

Quoted from Rarehero:

Wasting my time in this thread to warn people of your insanity is enough time wasted already.

Quoted from Rarehero:

We only WISH you would rip-off people & fail privately

No one has changed my mind, & still on track.

Quoted from Rarehero:

You spelled “crack” wrong.

Quoted from Rarehero:

Yes, yes, we’re well aware of your alcoholism. .... Now, delete your account.

Quoted from Rarehero:

Mods need to ban you before you scam more Pinsiders

#2532 1 year ago
    Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

Some of Rare’s greatest hits here. One example. That’s just who he is. John is a really nice guy, not “delusional”, spoken to him for a good while.

It’s indicative of this thread and how John has been treated personally. Not by everybody and some would truly like to help and are genuine about it.

Most are just full of shit and love the drama. It’s just who they are

#2533 1 year ago
    Quoted from Beechwood:

So if we raise $10k totally separate of you, and come to you with $10k, we can be considered one of the 10 possible mini whales? And get 1 pin?
    I'm sure we could do that before Sept 1.
    Sincerely,
    The collective pinside mini whales

You guys do what you want, but I was only willing to put in a few bucks after Vdojaq's inspiring story. After how that very generous offer to help was turned down, I am OUT. If you guys wanna toss some bucks into a pot somewhere though, be my guest

#2534 1 year ago
    Quoted from greenhornet:

Was a great project, that came to a screeching halt right after they said “we are done with the hard part”, when they said that, I posted something like “not so sure about that”, it takes a lot more than a playfield to have a complete game.

Wonder if Jon Norris is also doing rules, programming, etc. would be an awful lot for one guy in six months.

#2535 1 year ago
    Quoted from rosh:

Wonder if Jon Norris is also doing rules, programming, etc. would be an awful lot for one guy in six months.

That's why I think Jon has something generic already in the can that could be customized to the Trailer Park theme.

If this is a scratch design and programming, not a chance in hell.

#2536 1 year ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

is a really nice guy, not “delusional”, spoken to him for a good while.

I really believe John is very genuine. However, his past pinball business was quite the chaos. It wasn't the product, it was John's lack of business etiquette, mismanagement, constant delays and people left out in the cold. This is where much of his naysayers come from and badger him with. John is is walking into this with his eye wide shut.

#2537 1 year ago

Yes I waited while the soap opera was at full boil here with all the experts chiming in on how to do just about everything, except shit & drink beer.

Opposite man, I drink then get the shits!

#2538 1 year ago
    Quoted from rosh:

Was a great project, that came to a screeching halt right after they said “we are done with the hard part”, when they said that, I posted something like “not so sure about that”, it takes a lot more than a playfield to have a complete game.

GWJ can do that part. No sense paying a qualified programmer $100k, when he can read - Building an A-level Stern Pro Pinball Machine for Dummies. See he has already saved money and managed his $11k budget wisely. He has to have enough to pay Jon Norris for design. Guess GWJ will need to handle electrical also so he could have his game UL certified. I’m pretty sure it is illegal to make and sell an electronic device in public without it and some big legal disclaimers.

When the house burns down from having the device turned on, they have to call the fire dept. That might not concern Jon Norris though, as the deeproot game once burst into fire and had to be contained. Fortunately for public safety the game with known electrical problems was never put into production.

#2539 1 year ago

Programing can mean a lot of things. You can program a basic early SS-like game within a month thanks to MPF. It's just few would want a game so basic these days...

I kinda wonder if Jon Norris would be better off showing more of his work as a homebrewer and taking examples to shows. Maybe he can get people into one of his designs that way, sorta like TNA was willed into production from positive show reception.

#2540 1 year ago
    Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

Pinsiders have endured a bunch of financial abuse from people who’ve done this same thing over and over and over. The Jpop scam started a decade ago!!! We’ve all witnessed Zidware, Skit-B, Heighway, Deep Root, etc. all fail with far more talent and resources. Since mods haven’t banned John for his attempt to be the worst version of this boutique scam, calling out this insanity for what it is isn’t abuse. It’s the responsible thing to do. I was right about the other failures and their false promises, and I’ll be right about this. If this makes me an abuser in your eyes, you lack perspective…shame on you. Tell me - why have you attached yourself to the clown car? Why are you encouraging this madness?

#2541 1 year ago
    Quoted from Haymaker:

You guys do what you want, but I was only willing to put in a few bucks after Vdojaq's inspiring story. After how that very generous offer to help was turned down, I am OUT. If you guys wanna toss some bucks into a pot somewhere though, be my guest

I am out as well. I was simply trying to understand GWJs hesitance to the go fund me money, as it was really no different than a collaborative mini whale.

Either way, don't care anymore.

Interested to see if he actually builds a pin in 6 months, and more importantly if it ends up being frankenpin or a Stern "pro style" effort.

#2542 1 year ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

It’s the responsible thing to do.

#2543 1 year ago
    Quoted from Beechwood:

I am out as well. I was simply trying to understand GWJs hesitance to the go fund me money, as it was really no different than a collaborative mini whale.

1) he didn't understand it, because boomer

2) he's greedy because he's so broke. 2 whales in the bush > one in the hand.

3) he didn't understand that HE was the charity

But you know what? Screw it. Let him get in debt to a lawyer. Baller move that. No wonder he's bankrupt.

#2544 1 year ago
    Quoted from Beechwood:

I'm gonna sit back now and see what transpires over the next 6 months. Should be interesting in the least.

Yes I agree, it should be the least bit interesting...

#2545 1 year ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

I really believe John is very genuine. However, his past pinball business was quite the chaos. It wasn't the product, it was John's lack of business etiquette, mismanagement, constant delays and people left out in the cold. This is where much of his naysayers come from and badger him with. John is is walking into this with his eye wide shut.

Being skeptical and pointing out his past, he does it himself, arrogance is not one his traits, is what you do when evaluating any business deal. I do it all day every day for myself and my clients.

Would i have any clients "invest" in anything Reg D like Deeproot or some side pinball project. Hell no! It's just a HOBBY. We do this shit for fun, at least i do!!!

Now, when others think its OK to bully John or anybody else then that is F ed up. He has handled himself quite well. Being critical is one thing, being a total jackass is another, and it's well documented here. Not you Kojak

It's time for John to go silent, everybody can have their opinions on how ridiculous the project is, but we will all see at the end of the day.

Either way, at TPF, we will be tipping some drinks together.

#2546 1 year ago

I applaud your good intentioned noble effort to help John Kojak. But there was ZERO chance that these cheap bastards here would ever pony up for $11k and this "CHARITY PROJECT".

No F ing way! LOL

#2547 1 year ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

calling out this insanity for what it is isn’t abuse.

You can call it out and refute his ideas without the vitriol - you can get your point across and still be polite

In other words - Don't be an ass

#2548 1 year ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

I applaud your good intentioned noble effort to help John Kojak. But there was ZERO chance that these cheap bastards here would ever pony up for $11k and this "CHARITY PROJECT".
    No F ing way! LOL

You are correct...but not because I am cheap...I just don't feel like rewarding someone that has put little to no effort or thought into the project. I think the GoFundMe is a terrible idea.

#2549 1 year ago
    Quoted from Palmer:

You are correct...but not because I am cheap...I just don't feel like rewarding someone that has put little to no effort or thought into the project. I think the GoFundMe is a terrible idea.

You are entitled to your opinion. There is a lot more than you think that has gone into it.

A phone conversation is much different than you get here.

Doesn’t mean it’s not a total long shot.

Why is Jon Norris helping him. And others?

#2550 1 year ago
    Quoted from benheck:

1) he didn't understand it, because boomer
    2) he's greedy because he's so broke. 2 whales in the bush > one in the hand.
    3) he didn't understand that HE was the charity
    But you know what? Screw it. Let him get in debt to a lawyer. Baller move that. No wonder he's bankrupt.

There is no reality to this plan. it is a certainty that John will lose money from this venture as he unfortunately has on every one to date. It am pretty sure that by the end, he will have a hostile relationship with everybody who comes on board. Once was willing to throw in $300 but I am out for good. Final thought is John should pull the plug and go dark and just drink beer and build his home-brew. Stay away from Pinside and all other media. Do whatever you you want just don’t go spilling your brains on a public forum.

There are 10,636 posts in this topic. You are on page 51 of 213.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/moby-dick-let-s-talk-whales-and-whale-watching/page/51?hl=pinlink and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.