Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 10,636 posts
  • 267 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by BeachPickle
  • Topic is favorited by 72 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Trailer Trash-the Pin. The GWJ Chronicles”

• John finds the big whale and makes 1 "super LE CE Bling" Trailer Park Boys pin 17 votes
      11%
    • John finds 10 small whales and makes 10 "pro style homebrew type" Trailer Park Boys pins 11 votes
      7%
    • John buys an aquarium to pass the time until his dreams are realized 128 votes
      82%

(156 votes)

This poll has been closed.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

closed.gif
    EBC73878-BC53-4200-A2B6-C2F2E0527AAC (resized).jpeg
    F982508F-9554-4C5F-B499-531394F6F6C6 (resized).jpeg
    4E248FC9-0974-462E-9242-503735D9F3F4 (resized).jpeg
    2D3AED4E-728C-423B-AA1A-BC65047C5B9A.gif
    OTR.gif
    IMG_0355 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0363 (resized).JPG
    popcorns.gif
    IMG_0360 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0362 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0359 (resized).JPG
    worlds_worst_coach_trucker_hat-rcabf536f37e04dbc8095021b9983cf42_eahwj_8byvr_630 (resized).jpg
    7B29A5B0-680F-4306-A606-5CB78CED39B3_4_5005_c (resized).jpeg
    34C7A3AA-F74D-481F-8084-39C43A1199C7 (resized).jpeg
    93BD3918-24E8-44BF-A93F-1AB39CB7D00D (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

9 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

This topic is closed.

There are 10,636 posts in this topic. You are on page 49 of 213.
    #2401 1 year ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

You certainly did and everyone here read them. It's OK , you were wrong.

I believe differently based on reactions and PM's.

Because that is not how it was going to work. I had $2500 in commitments as an incentive and a reward for John to make it to the finish line and have something to put in his pocket to have a little better time with life. I do not have those commitments anymore.

Ok whatever. Believe what you want.

You are the smartest/greatest person I’ve ever come across! How’s that?

Time to pump the brakes.

It’s condescending And demeaning to act like he needs to be treated like a “charity case” so he can have a “little better time in life”.

Guy seems like he’s happy and lives a pretty good life.

Project pinball is a worthy charity. Go raise some money for them.

Your work is now done here.

#2402 1 year ago
    Quoted from greatwichjohn:

If we could please ask you to cease reaching out directly to the Boys or additional team members at this time, they are aware I am communicating with you conveying this message to not proceed at this time.

What did your outreach efforts entail, @greatwichjohn? From this line it sounds like more than an email to the licensor and follow-up reply to Alison.

#2403 1 year ago

There will not be a Go Fund Me or Trailer Park Boys pinball machine. Moving on to my pod & it will be a Private Build unless others release info or pictures until Texas in March 2023.

#2404 1 year ago

The end!

20819AF8-8D65-48E5-9517-2ACE38394D7E (resized).jpeg20819AF8-8D65-48E5-9517-2ACE38394D7E (resized).jpeg
    #2405 1 year ago
    Quoted from blueberryjohnson:

What did your outreach efforts entail, greatwichjohn? From this line it sounds like more than an email to the licensor and follow-up reply to Alison.

This is all I said in my reply last Saturday, same with giving it until Friday.

Deadline is now 1 week. If not I move on to another title. I continue to reach out to the boys also. But your response sounds negative. On a strict build program for SXSW & TPF show in Texas March 2023.

I did not reach the boys personally or any other actors. I asked a friend to talk with the director, & my personal friends came up empty. Who knows what goes on here with the hatred to anything I am trying to do. Same with people going on with Jon Norris. Really if you have no interest in the Trailer Trash pinball machine build, maybe enjoy your life doing something else. I am moving forward, & I am sure there are many here trying to kill it off!

#2406 1 year ago

Ok GWJ actually made one improvement on his plan since initial announcement. As I understand it …

Aug 31 is deadline for being a mini-whale with buy-in @ $11k. Interest after that date is too late, they missed it. Currently there is 1 mini-whale interested. If any more are found they join before Aug 31. Then that is the number of games being made. So 1 mini-whale is 1 game. There won’t be a gofundme and the public option discussed is dead.

Earlier GWJ had 3 mini-whales interested if theme was TPB’s. He collected zero dollars and these people fled. Now he has one party interested party in TT with Jon Norris as the designer and he’ll be building one game. I hope $2k is required at time of signing up. No money paid means no real investors. Payment would indicate you have one mini-whale. In addition to collecting some money up front from a mini-whale, you need a contract signed spelling out your intent, deadline, promises, milestones etc.

There is no need to talk about building up to 9 games. No, one investor equals one game. As to who owns the one game I am less sure. I think a John owns it and will auction it. I don’t think investor gets it (please correct me if wrong). Stating again - 1 investor means 1 game made. And that one investor will be the only one receiving updates.

Now we can think about the plan … one investor means $11k coming in if completed. That will need to pay all bills, including paying for game designer Jon Norris. You will probably need to get an artist to get a bang up job. There should be some legal fees required and should be budgeted. The deadline remains TPF 2023.

#2407 1 year ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Ok whatever. Believe what you want.
    You are the smartest/greatest person I’ve ever come across! How’s that?
    Time to pump the brakes.
    Your work is now done here.

Ease on those brakes, pumping them will spill your drink. No charge for the good advice.

Thank you, my work really is done here.

#2408 1 year ago

I am sure Fomo will kick in soon. Same with my previous whales might join again. I know some people did not want TPB, & might be interested in a Adult Pin Theme. Time will tell over the next 3+ weeks.

#2409 1 year ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:Ease on those brakes, pumping them will spill your drink. No charge for the good advice.
    Thank you, my work really is done here.

Well the “advice” was what’s it worth, “no charge”. Lol

But drinks on me Kojak if I see you sometime.

#2410 1 year ago

Presumably the Trailer Trash playfield will be have to be something totally different as a street level style game designed for minimal BOM != Stern Pro machine.

Wrong. Remember, GWJ said he was going to reuse ramps, so he didnt" Have to reinvent the wheel".

Yea, reinvent everything else though!

#2411 1 year ago
    Quoted from pookycade:

And what pray tell did you learn from this John ? If you review the past month and everything that has transpired do you see any reason for this outcome ?

I am no conspiracy theorist.....but to have received a C&D letter, I have to believe that some asshole copied some of John's posts and his intentions and sent them off to the license holders for review. If John is claiming that he never got in touch with any of the boys, then how in the hell would they have known that was what he wanted to do and ultimately fire off a C&D? No one fires off a C&D for an interest or inquiry.

Something smells extremely foul here. That is some low shit.

#2412 1 year ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Well the “advice” was what’s it worth, “no charge”. Lol
    But drinks on me Kojak if I see you sometime.

Deal!!!

#2413 1 year ago
    Quoted from ZNET:

Everyone has strengths and weaknesses. Greatwichjohn has certain valuable skills related to playfield production. That's an asset.
    But, he doesn't know what he doesn't know. Also, he doesn't appreciate the magnitude of that fatal flaw.
    Can you imagine the reaction of a group of attorneys or sophisticated business representatives receiving an email from John about acquiring a license in which he adulterates the phrase "could have" as "could of?"
    We have corrected him countless times here on Pinside as to that error. Yet, he continues to peck it out on his keyboard in post after post.
    What that says to me is that he is highly resistant to learning from mistakes, which is an awful trait for a pinball machine principal. What that says to a lawyer/business rep. is a lack of business sophistication and acumen.
    The business interface is intemperate. Regrettably, a self-professed, inflexible struggling entrepreneur with poor language skills needs to delegate business tasks to more skilled communicators. Meanwhile, John should dedicate his time to his domain of playfield production and whatever other abilities he brings to the venture.

This pretty much sums it up.

#2414 1 year ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

I am no conspiracy theorist.....but to have received a C&D letter, I have to believe that some asshole copied some of John's posts and his intentions and sent them off to the license holders for review. If John is caliming that he never got in touch with any of the boys, then how in the hell would they have known that was what he wanted to do and fire off a C&D? No fires off a C&D for an interest or inquiry.

I’d say that’s a given here. Even though the “C & D” was not from their attorney in a formal letter the tone sounds like that is exactly what happened.

#2415 1 year ago

Who knows what goes on here with the hatred to anything I am trying to do. Same with people going on with Jon Norris. Really if you have no interest in the Trailer Trash pinball machine build, maybe enjoy your life doing something else. I am moving forward, & I am sure there are many here trying to kill it off!

John, you get a completed game to TPF and I will make sure you have a cold beer in your hand for the entire event. I will also have chef prepared, Crow on a stick for the rest of us.

Pinside can be cruel and insensitive at times but not everybody is personally against you here. Use the heat for motivation.

#2416 1 year ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

I am no conspiracy theorist.....but to have received a C&D letter, I have to believe that some asshole copied some of John's posts and his intentions and sent them off to the license holders for review. If John is caliming that he never got in touch with any of the boys, then how in the hell would they have known that was what he wanted to do and fire off a C&D? No fires off a C&D for an interest or inquiry.

Yes, feasible this is what occurred. But nefariousness need not necessarily apply here. All Allison had to do was type "trailer park boys pinball" in a google search and all would have been revealed. See below.

I was trying to get John to realize that his approach (let me publicly announce I am looking for a whale for TPB) was not the right one to follow if a TPB license is what he hoped to secure.

If Allison was a halfway decent licensing agent, the C+D would have been sent ASAP.

Again I doubt John will see it that way. He is not one to recognize his mistakes, even when blatantly pointed out.

My question is has Jon Norris seen this thread (or the Ballerama one for that matter). And if so why is he not running for the hills too ?

Google is not kind (resized).pngGoogle is not kind (resized).png
    #2417 1 year ago

Maybe you got to ask yourself if I build 1-10 pinball machines in 6 months. Some people will look bad. People here think I am the track long shot that likely will never win a race. Time will tell.

My final thought on TPB. The partner responded quickly & was likely open to the idea. The woman looking after TPB got spooked by someone, not me. So think want you want, I am not some crazy idiot trying to bother the boys. Looked for interest in doing a TPB build, & looking for proper ok & licensing. No big deal on my part, I got my answer quicker than the deadline. TPB pin is dead.

#2418 1 year ago

An easily Googled public solicitation of $100k to build multiple copies of a game you don't have a license for - yeah that'll get you a C&D. She already said no, then came a warning. John, read the friggin room buddy. (Sorry, let me translate to boomer: Take a hint!)

As I've mentioned several times, John could get himself into further financial straights with these dumb moves.

John just hunker down, make something generic and bring it to TPF. Stop moving your start dates and goalposts and just get to work!

#2419 1 year ago
    Quoted from benheck:

An easily Googled public solicitation of $100k to build multiple copies of a game you don't have a license for - yeah that'll get you a C&D. She already said no, then came a warning. John, read the friggin room buddy. (Sorry, let me translate to boomer: Take a hint!)
    As I've mentioned several times, John could get himself into further financial straights with these dumb moves.
    John just hunker down, make something generic and bring it to TPF. Stop moving your start dates and goalposts and just get to work!

There you go. Prime suspect.

So clueless. He clearly stated IF he got approval that was the plan.

“Further financial straights”? Lol

Time for you to hunker down and worry about your own game Ben. Take a hint!

#2420 1 year ago

I like turtles

#2421 1 year ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

That sounded more like a polite "please stop asking, we're not interested" than a proper cease and desist.

#2422 1 year ago

The partner responded quickly & was likely open to the idea. The woman looking after TPB got spooked by someone, not me.

There's absolutely no way she was spooked by you... Why wouldn't they want to do biz with a bankrupt guy without any investors to pay for their licensing fees that would cost a minimum of $25k paid upfront.

#2423 1 year ago
    Quoted from greatwichjohn:Maybe you got to ask yourself if I build 1-10 pinball machines in 6 months. Some people will look bad. People here think I am the track long shot that likely will never win a race. Time will tell.
    My final thought on TPB. The partner responded quickly & was likely open to the idea. The woman looking after TPB got spooked by someone, not me. So think want you want, I am not some crazy idiot trying to bother the boys. Looked for interest in doing a TPB build, & looking for proper ok & licensing. No big deal on my part, I got my answer quicker than the deadline. TPB pin is dead.

Earlier in the discussion you mentioned reusing ramps from another pinball machine, is that still the plan or are you going custom?

Good luck!

#2424 1 year ago

Presumably the Trailer Trash playfield will be have to be something totally different as a street level style game designed for minimal BOM != Stern Pro machine.

Quoted from Roostking:

Wrong. Remember, GWJ said he was going to reuse ramps, so he didnt" Have to reinvent the wheel".
    Yea, reinvent everything else though!

Meaning not be the existing Norris design.

#2425 1 year ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

I have to believe that some asshole copied some of John's posts and his intentions and sent them off to the license holders for review.

I asked a friend to talk with the director, & my personal friends came up empty.

Maybe this ^^^ explains it.

#2426 1 year ago

Got back from my 3 beers of Guiness & fine music. Got my C & D from the license provider of TPB. Maybe some one else was getting close to the boys, since it was not me!
    At this time we will not proceed with your offer to build. If we could please ask you to cease reaching out directly to the Boys or additional team members at this time, they are aware I am communicating with you conveying this message to not proceed at this time.
    Thank you,
    Alison
    So like I guessed the TPB pinball machine died with me. Maybe someone else is going after it.

Lol, no one is going after it. Everything transpired exactly the way a bunch of us told you it would.

-You tried to sell a licensed pin before you had the license. Instant rejection for doing that.
    -You’re trying to badger the talent when they have people to handle their licensing. Instant rejection.
    -You don’t have a pinball factory nor have you shown you’re capable of making this product.
    -You’re you.

#2427 1 year ago

Deadline is now 1 week. If not I move on to another title. I continue to reach out to the boys also. But your response sounds negative. On a strict build program for SXSW & TPF show in Texas March 2023.

OMG, you threatened them?! They’re the ones that would be doing YOU a favor. Jesus Christ…there are a lot of egotistical maniacs in this hobby, but then add an astronomical lack of self-awareness - and we’re in another territory. You are a horrible business person, you have no ability to lead a pinball machine project, and I have no idea why Jon Norris is wasting his time with you. After Derp Poop, you’d think he’d be able to see another horror show failure. He must be desperate, I dunno.

I am sure Fomo will kick in soon.

For what?!?! You’re not a brand! You’re offering something that you aren’t capable of making. No one rational fears missing out on your trash. Literal trash.

#2428 1 year ago

John, for the love of all pinball, put all of this shit behind you and just get rolling on your plans for Trailer Trash.

That is the simplest of plans there is.

#2429 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

I was excited about the GoFundMe as I saw it as the best way forward for John. I was ready to donate $1000 right from the jump and I would of rounded off any financial gap at the end had it been needed. (It wouldn't have I'm certain)

I now revise my estimate....we would have been fully funded in 5 days

Quoted from Mr68:

Go back and read this thread after John posted he had accepted the GoFundMe concept. Most everybody immediately turned in Johns favor and supported him.

Yes, agreed. The money was there. Even Ben was going to throw in money for this.

#2430 1 year ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

I am no conspiracy theorist.....but to have received a C&D letter, I have to believe that some asshole copied some of John's posts and his intentions and sent them off to the license holders for review. If John is claiming that he never got in touch with any of the boys, then how in the hell would they have known that was what he wanted to do and ultimately fire off a C&D? No one fires off a C&D for an interest or inquiry.

My read is they're responding ONLY to John. He even told them he was trying to reach "the Boys". Quote below is what he posted about what he sent the person:

We know from what's been stated by others in this thread about how licenses normally go, and their time frames, that John was saying nothing like that to them, and talking about 1 week deadlines, and ready to start a build, and shows he was going to bring it to.

I don't see how they could respond in any other way than "shut it down".

#2431 1 year ago

Whatever becomes of this trainwreck of debacle, at least John is getting a hell of a lesson in Internet etiquette.

1. Dont post pm's
    2. Dont post correspondence w/ license holder
    3. He knows what a Gofundme is.
    4. Learning FOMO. <-- This one got Ice as usual!

#2432 1 year ago
    Quoted from frolic:

My read is they're responding ONLY to John. He even told them he was trying to reach "the Boys". Quote below is what he posted about what he sent the person:

We know from what's been stated by others in this thread about how licenses normally go, and their time frames, that John was saying nothing like that to them, and talking about 1 week deadlines, and ready to start a build, and shows he was going to bring it to.
    I don't see how they could respond in any other way than "shut it down".

I really can't make heads or tale of what John said or didn't say to them. Either way, it completely blew up on him.

#2433 1 year ago

People here think I am the track long shot that likely will never win a race. Time will tell.

Who won the Kentucky Derby this year?

#2434 1 year ago

Maybe you got to ask yourself if I build 1-10 pinball machines in 6 months. Some people will look bad. People here think I am the track long shot that likely will never win a race. Time will tell.

John, here is the harsh reality. You will never build 10 pinball machines in 6 months. Your continue to mock yourself by saying you will build up to 10, but you really only want to build one or two. No one is going to invest in anyone who makes statements like that.

You had real opportunity that was easier for you to shit all over because you had no clue and didn't want to make any effort to figure out how a gofundme works. That is just pure ignorance or laziness. In your case, probably both. Jeez, for a gift of $10 grand, to chase a dream, I would be able to recite the gofundme rules in 24 hours.

Now what do you have? Zilch. No Whale(s), no TPB license , and not a single guaranteed dime. But hey, you can hang the C&D letter on the wall like an award! No joke, I would!

You have a real designer in Jon Norris. How long do you think he will hang around and put up with crap like this or deal with your constant kicking of the can?

Stop the nonsense, get your ducks in a row for 1 or 2 machines and get to work.

#2435 1 year ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

Yes, agreed. The money was there. Even Ben was going to throw in money for this.

Just for clarity. My GoFund donation was coming based on you controlling the purse strings and advising John.
    It was a generous offer from you.

#2436 1 year ago

GWJ, do you not see the issues with your response? This is a business you were talking to, not a bunch of nerds on a forum.

1. Threatening them with a deadline is unprofessional and ineffective.

2. You said you "continue" to reach out to the boys. That is a present tense of what you are doing. What is she supposed to think? That you aren't? That is basically telling this woman that you are going behind her back, her job, to secure the license.

3. Telling her she sounds negative... that is like telling a woman she is being grumpy. Bad decision.

4. Do you think she cares what your timeline is? Do you think she wants to be rushed into a decision? Do you think she knows what a bunch of pinball/amusement acronyms are?

This is why people hire lawyers to negotiate such things. Tens of thousands of dollars (US) and that is if it is a simple process, just for lawyers.

I hope as you move forward you realize there are certain things that you simply can't do on your own if you want professional results.

And for gods sake, start the build now!

#2437 1 year ago

Sometimes I think I'm missing out on an epic thread, then I see it has 50 pages to catch up on and I'm like...nah I'm good

#2438 1 year ago
    Quoted from Beechwood:

GWJ, do you not see the issues with your response? This is a business you were talking to, not a bunch of nerds on a forum.

2. You said you "continue" to reach out to the boys. That is a present tense of what you are doing. What is she supposed to think? That you aren't? That is basically telling this woman that you are going behind her back, her job, to secure the license.

3. Telling her she sounds negative... that is like telling a woman she is being grumpy. Bad decision.

4. Do you think she cares what your timeline is? Do you think she wants to be rushed into a decision? Do you think she knows what a bunch of pinball/amusement acronyms are?

This is why people hire lawyers to negotiate such things. Tens of thousands of dollars (US) and that is if it is a simple process, just for lawyers.

I'd be curious to compare GWJ's licensing inquiry with how a proven professional like Roger Sharpe does it.

#2439 1 year ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

Sometimes I think I'm missing out on an epic thread, then I see it has 50 pages to catch up on and I'm like...nah I'm good

This will get you caught up.
    pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#2440 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

This will get you caught up.
    [quoted image]

So things are going better than I thought they would

#2441 1 year ago
    Quoted from Beechwood:

I hope as you move forward you realize there are certain things that you simply can't do on your own if you want professional results.
    And for gods sake, start the build now!

Holy hell! That was a reply he sent to the agent? With all the tripe posted I thought that was just an update for the masses…

Oh man John. I said in the beginning when I was the only one sticking up for you a manager and secretary is what you need. Stay in the shop and do what you do best because this ain’t it.

#2442 1 year ago

Is this a mini-whale???

mwd (resized).pngmwd (resized).png
    #2443 1 year ago

Yup. John you're not cut out for this. By my account you lack every skills required to manage a project of any type, let alone something as complex and awful as pinball.

Need money? Use your resume (a pulse) and go get hired by someone who actually knows how to run a business. You're not leadership material whatsoever. Again, not trying to be mean (even though it's mean) Just trying to save yourself from disappointment, like telling a kid standing on a roof he can't fly like Superman.

#2444 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

Just for clarity. My GoFund donation was coming based on you controlling the purse strings and advising John.
    It was a generous offer from you.

Yes, I would have control the distributing of funds based on progress, just like the SBA does. It would have been goal oriented.

#2445 1 year ago

How do I donate a Michaels Gift Card to John so he can foam core up a design? Follow up question: how safe are the foam cutting tools for people who are six beers deep?

I just gotta know what the grand blurred vision is

#2446 1 year ago
    Quoted from frolic:

I'd be curious to compare GWJ's licensing inquiry with how a proven professional like Roger Sharpe does it.

Based on my experience, when he contacts them either he already knows them or they likely know of him. And he certainly does not give them a deadline nor would he go around those who manage the license.

#2447 1 year ago
    Quoted from Roostking:

at least John is getting a hell of a lesson in Internet etiquette.

But has he learned anything?

#2448 1 year ago

Yes Ben I am just a idiot that has zero pinball building skills. Said & proved I am no Roger Sharpe. But when you got nothing, you got to go it alone. Good thing I have a team to help out, you guys can give them all the credit.

#2449 1 year ago

At this point I don't know who's more crazy John for believing in this craziness or for us hoping when we can educate John on his craziness.

Lose lose.

#2450 1 year ago
    8FDF4273-58B8-4C0A-BFE3-C1CEB418147D.gif8FDF4273-58B8-4C0A-BFE3-C1CEB418147D.gif
    There are 10,636 posts in this topic. You are on page 49 of 213.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/moby-dick-let-s-talk-whales-and-whale-watching/page/49 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.