Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 10,636 posts
  • 267 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by BeachPickle
  • Topic is favorited by 72 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Trailer Trash-the Pin. The GWJ Chronicles”

• John finds the big whale and makes 1 "super LE CE Bling" Trailer Park Boys pin 17 votes
      11%
    • John finds 10 small whales and makes 10 "pro style homebrew type" Trailer Park Boys pins 11 votes
      7%
    • John buys an aquarium to pass the time until his dreams are realized 128 votes
      82%

(156 votes)

This poll has been closed.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

closed.gif
    EBC73878-BC53-4200-A2B6-C2F2E0527AAC (resized).jpeg
    F982508F-9554-4C5F-B499-531394F6F6C6 (resized).jpeg
    4E248FC9-0974-462E-9242-503735D9F3F4 (resized).jpeg
    2D3AED4E-728C-423B-AA1A-BC65047C5B9A.gif
    OTR.gif
    IMG_0355 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0363 (resized).JPG
    popcorns.gif
    IMG_0360 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0362 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0359 (resized).JPG
    worlds_worst_coach_trucker_hat-rcabf536f37e04dbc8095021b9983cf42_eahwj_8byvr_630 (resized).jpg
    7B29A5B0-680F-4306-A606-5CB78CED39B3_4_5005_c (resized).jpeg
    34C7A3AA-F74D-481F-8084-39C43A1199C7 (resized).jpeg
    93BD3918-24E8-44BF-A93F-1AB39CB7D00D (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

9 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

This topic is closed.

There are 10,636 posts in this topic. You are on page 44 of 213.
    #2151 1 year ago

Some bad blood was traded in this thread and here we are now with one of the perceived bad guys stepping up to help. How about that?

My compliments to Vdojaq for conceiving the GoFund and stepping up to run it. Talk and insults are cheap on Pinside but he's the man getting it done.

The ball is in your court GWJ and it looks like some of your critics are now supporting you along with a plan that makes some sense.
    Get your shit together my friend. I anticipate bumps and bruises for you along the way and likely a blown deadline or two.

Just the same, my donation will be coming and I'll be keeping a good thought.

#2152 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mr68:Some bad blood was traded in this thread and here we are now with one of the perceived bad guys stepping up to help. How about that?

I am glad they didn't lock this thread. As with any topic, it goes off the rails now and again. But I have found it entertaining and I've laughed more at some of the content in here than any other thread in a long time.

I HOPE people remember we are all here for one reason, and I wish I signed every post like I did 10 thousand times on RGP,. "HEY, IT'S ONLY PINBALL!!"

#2153 1 year ago

The theme should stick with trailer park boys aiming for eventual presentation to TPB?

#2154 1 year ago
    Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

The theme should stick with trailer park boys aiming for eventual presentation to TPB?

No, just another 5 days of no interest from the boys to go before it is officially dead. Trailer Trash will be a different thought process.

#2155 1 year ago
    Quoted from greatwichjohn:

No, just another 5 days of no interest from the boys to go before it is officially dead. Trailer Trash will be a different thought process.

Doesn't matter what the license gate keeper says...if you have a great prototype...keep the theme I.m.o
    You can deal with that later once you have a prototype and $ projections. Next time you reach out to the license company it should be by phone and a meeting scheduled.

#2156 1 year ago

You're wasting 5 days. Get to work.

#2157 1 year ago

After months of bashing and trashing, libelous shit thrown your way, not “traded”, all ONE WAY, these guys are happy to throw $$$ at this, partly in shame over their conduct, but mostly because they crave the DRAMA and will actually now PAY for it now that phase one looks to be over.

It’s all about them wanting to be able to tell you what to do, how to do it, control it on their terms and then criticize it DURING afterwards.

Take a page from the Kaneda driven drama entertainment show and charge these guys via Patreon to watch the updates.

Gofundme? What could go wrong here?

#2158 1 year ago

John --call, not email, not first am, closer to the end of day preferably on a Thursday or Friday, and speak to the gate keeper in person to confirm no interest
    We can provide the script for you.

#2159 1 year ago

Biggest Unknown. What does the known game designer get out of this? Is it a passion project for them or maybe they want “exposure”? Possibly helping out a friend? But what is their motivation?

#2160 1 year ago
    Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Biggest Unknown. What does the known game designer get out of this? Is it a passion project for them or maybe they want “exposure”? Possibly helping out a friend? But what is their motivation?

I pray it is not Jon Norris. I would hope that his time and talents would not be wasted on this silliness.

#2161 1 year ago
    Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

It sure isn't the money!

But if he got someone, good for him. Just stop wasting time on a license you won't get.

#2162 1 year ago
    Quoted from benheck:It sure isn't the money!
    But if he got someone, good for him. Just stop wasting time on a license you won't get.

0233C6C7-2B4C-4A02-B733-DD939630FD46 (resized).jpeg0233C6C7-2B4C-4A02-B733-DD939630FD46 (resized).jpeg
    #2163 1 year ago
    Quoted from benheck:

It sure isn't the money!

You've wasted over a month in here. You're slowly losing minions who realize calling people thieves, idiots, morons, alcoholics, delusional is completely fukkin lame. They all feel the shame and you're still throwing the slander. You're considered an industry professional.. think about that! You don't see any other industry peeps singing your song and dance. This guy isn't harming anyone and you just can't stop shitting on every post he makes. Let the man be, go do something productive. You've exhausted your opinion..we get it.

#2164 1 year ago

Dee-Bow I think you have me confused with your boy Iceman. The only word I've ever used is "delusional" and it 100% fits.

I don't want to see a broke pensioner be in debt to an Iceman or a Hilton with an impossible schedule.

#2165 1 year ago
    Quoted from benheck:

Dee-Bow I think you have me confused with your boy Iceman. The only word I've ever used is "delusional" and it 100% fits.
    I don't want to see a broke pensioner be in debt to an Iceman or a Hilton with an impossible schedule.

That was 3 separate digs there! Haha..well played. It almost seems personal you're so adamant with your agenda. Clearly a nearly impossible goal he has set out for himself.. but the abuse he's taking for sharing it is astounding to me! I keep trying to shut up and i swear i will stop telling you to do the same! Enjoy the show!

#2166 1 year ago
    Quoted from Dee-Bow:

That was 3 separate digs there! Haha..well played. It almost seems personal you're so adamant with your agenda. Clearly a nearly impossible goal he has set out for himself.. but the abuse he's taking for sharing it is astounding to me! I keep trying to shut up and i swear i will stop telling you to do the same! Enjoy the show!

Dude, relax. We're on an internet forum. Ben is allowed to have his opinion. It's pretty much unanimous that gwj's plan was/is ridiculous. If I come up with something similar, I deserve some critical feedback.

No beers for me today. It's hot, but none today.

#2167 1 year ago

The build is 6 months, the same old story I keep having to explain. This Saturday the Go Fund Me can start. The known industry designer will likely get started as soon as they are announced. September 1 is the start for me, & I have enough stuff going on for the month.
    The designer is getting paid, along with the rest of the team, & contractors. The build time is 6 months, start to finish.

Happy hour all day at the local bar close to the workshop. Think I will throw some back, relax, & enjoy the air conditioning!

#2168 1 year ago
    Quoted from Dee-Bow:

He just can’t help himself. Nothing else to do? Jealous of the attention? Who knows

Broken record opinion. Over and over

I like to see any pinball game get made. Maybe he’s pissed his game keeps getting pushed back?

#2169 1 year ago

The build is 6 months, the same old story I keep having to explain. This Saturday the Go Fund Me can start. The known industry designer will likely get started as soon as they are announced. September 1 is the start for me, & I have enough stuff going on for the month.
    The designer is getting paid, along with the rest of the team, & contractors. The build time is 6 months, start to finish.

How is this go fund me going to work? Are you setting it up? I'd recommend that you do it yourself.

#2170 1 year ago
    Quoted from Dee-Bow:

You've wasted over a month in here. You're slowly losing minions who realize calling people thieves, idiots, morons, alcoholics, delusional is completely fukkin lame. They all feel the shame and you're still throwing the slander. You're considered an industry professional.. think about that! You don't see any other industry peeps singing your song and dance. This guy isn't harming anyone and you just can't stop shitting on every post he makes. Let the man be, go do something productive. You've exhausted your opinion..we get it.

Well one minion who he didn't lose was me. Again who is your minion ? Anyone ? I thought so.

And as to what has been contributed to this thread you've done what exactly ?

And as to the people calling him delusional (which he has been) but willing to open our donation wallet to a sensible plan, which god willing will come, again you've contributed what ?

If the word troll fits, go ahead and wear it.

#2171 1 year ago

TPB has *fantastic* writing and comprehensive character development for about a dozen characters. It's called "art" -- the theme on its own isn't what makes it great. The team of people that wrote, acted in, and supported the series made it great. They turned people who are struggling, into characters you really care about -- nearly all of them -- except for maybe... Cyrus -- he was a dick!

"trash" is the last thing on my mind when watching TPB. To me, it's like a modern-day Leave it to Beaver -- it's a warm family show with lots of feel-good moments.

I would have no interest in watching a reality TV show about real people struggling in a trailer park. I also have no interest in making a determined habit of categorizing any group of people as "trash" -- even in good fun.

I'm looking forward to seeing what market research has been completed to learn that an unlicensed theme of "Trailer trash" would be a winner in the pinball world. I'm happy to be wrong on my hunch that's not going to be a top-10 unlicensed theme idea, based on data.

-mof

#2172 1 year ago
    Quoted from mof:

TPB has *fantastic* writing and comprehensive character development for about a dozen characters. It's called "art" -- the theme on its own isn't what makes it great. The team of people that wrote, acted in, and supported the series made it great. They turned people who are struggling, into characters you really care about -- nearly all of them -- except for maybe... Cyrus -- he was a dick!
    "trash" is the last thing on my mind when watching TPB. To me, it's like a modern-day Leave it to Beaver -- it's a warm family show with lots of feel-good moments.
    I would have no interest in watching a reality TV show about real people struggling in a trailer park. I also have no interest in making a determined habit of categorizing any group of people as "trash" -- even in good fun.
    I'm looking forward to seeing what market research has been completed to learn that an unlicensed theme of "Trailer trash" would be a winner in the pinball world. I'm happy to be wrong on my hunch that's not going to be a top-10 unlicensed theme idea, based on data.
    -mof

I for one would still support John doing a TPB pin. Its a homebrew, we are giving him the money if its thru Go Fund Me. He is not selling it to anyone. He can do whatever he wants. It can go to TPF and be played. As long as its not a commercial endeavor then I don't think its infringing on anything. I don't think that he has to limit himself to Trailer Park Trash. And yeah, I actually think alot of what you are saying here is spot on. There really is zero need to demean someone who lives in a trailer park and its going to be a tricky navigation if thats where this goes to do it with some sensitivity. Thats why I would have him go TPB since then to the degree there are any caricatures here they are already part of the show.

This is the beauty here. As long as he isn't selling it, and as long as we are just donating money for him to fulfill his dreams, there is no license infringement here. And if he does a good job then he can present for licensing to TPB with some of us helping him out on presentation points. And if he does a crap job, nobody is going to sue him for failure to deliver a Stern Pro level pin in 6 months.

#2173 1 year ago
    Quoted from pookycade:

I for one would still support John doing a TPB pin.

Me too. A homebrew one-off. And if the thing takes TPF by storm he can have his conversation with the person who's name rhymes with Smavid Shmix about what next steps are.

#2174 1 year ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

After months of bashing and trashing, libelous shit thrown your way, not “traded”, all ONE WAY, these guys are happy to throw $$$ at this, partly in shame over their conduct, but mostly because they crave the DRAMA and will actually now PAY for it now that phase one looks to be over.

It’s all about them wanting to be able to tell you what to do, how to do it, control it on their terms and then criticize it DURING afterwards.

Only one seeking and creating drama is you shit stirring the pot. STFU and throw some funds at the go fund me when it goes live Saturday.

#2175 1 year ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

Only one seeking and creating drama is you shit stirring the pot. STFU and throw some funds at the go fund me when it goes live Saturday.

How is it going live Saturday?

#2176 1 year ago

While the gofundme is a promising development to the saga for the purposes of the saga, I wish John would instead dedicate his time to doing something to generate income. The endless self-reported accounts of personal bankruptcy, pension-based poverty-level earnings, binge drinking, and lack of familial safety net provoke in me genuine worry. And this isn't brand new. Since become acquainted with John a year or so ago via his posts, the song has remained the same.

For all his quirks, I find John endearing, earnest, and would love for him to have a big pinball passion win. But I can't help but feel a twinge of unease celebrating the launching of a gofundme to bankroll a pretty ridiculous quest that even in the most optimistic outcome nets John zero dollars of profit, probably cost him a few, and occupies the next seven months of his life. Time during which he could plausibly dedicate his energies toward efforts to financially benefit him.

That said, I'm no one to tell others how to live their lives. Nor am I some life expert. And John's priorities are compatible with those of the gofunders. Still, as I've been participating in the ballyhoo amidst some misgivings, I wanted to step out of it for a moment to communicate them.

John, I'm rooting for you. And if this is what makes you happy, then I'll root for a grand machine reveal at SXSW/TPF.

#2177 1 year ago
    Quoted from Tranquilize:

How is it going live Saturday?

Becomes active, gets started, becomes reality on Saturday.

#2178 1 year ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

Becomes active, gets started, becomes reality on Saturday.

Who is managing it? It should be John.

#2179 1 year ago
    Quoted from blueberryjohnson:

For all his quirks, I find John endearing, earnest, and would love for him to have a big pinball passion win. But I can't help but feel a twinge of unease celebrating the launching of a gofundme to bankroll a pretty ridiculous quest that even in the most optimistic outcome nets John zero dollars of profit, probably cost him a few, and occupies the next seven months of his life. Time during which he could plausibly dedicate his energies toward efforts to financially benefit him.

Not true at all. In the end, if John does come through, as the administartor of the Go Fund Me, I will see through that John is financially rewarded. We have agreed that the machine either gets picked up/rights bought by a manufacturer or the one off machine gets auctioned off for charity.

More details on Saturday

#2180 1 year ago
    Quoted from Tranquilize:

Who is managing it? It should be John.

I think it has been made VERY clear that I am doing it for John and the project. If John would like to do his own go fund me, then I would be obliged to step aside.

#2181 1 year ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

Not true at all. In the end, if John does come through, as the administartor of the Go Fund Me, I will see through that John is financially rewarded. We have agreed that the machine either gets picked up/rights bought by a manufacturer or the one off machine gets auctioned off for charity.
    More details on Saturday

Financially rewarded meaning there is profit from the enterprise. I wasn't saying the gofundme money wouldn't go to John. I was saying that the gofundme goal is set to cover the costs for the pin development. And John's plan from the start has been I need this much money to make this game to give it away. Not to do that + pocket any money for my time and effort which I can use to pay bills.

#2182 1 year ago

Financially rewarded meaning there is profit from the enterprise. I wasn't saying the gofundme money wouldn't go to John. I was saying that the gofundme goal is set to cover the costs for the pin development. And John's plan from the start has been I need this much money to make this game to give it away. Not to do that + pocket any money for my time and effort which I can use to pay bills.

We are talking at the very end. Machine is delivered to the TPF and is a fully working Pro Style machine. There is NO pocket money from the go fund me.

#2183 1 year ago

If you’re making a ONE OFF pin for TPF, there’s absolutely no reason you can’t make a Trailer Park Boys machine.

Just make one. It’s a prototype.

You can use the *already available* video and sound assets from the show - that will save you hundreds of hours of work (and $$$$$)

If the machine turns out awesome - THEN present it to the TPB guys with American (or whomever wants to produce it) and do a proper proposal to get the licence.

rd

#2184 1 year ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

We are talking at the very end. Machine is delivered to the TPF and is a fully working Pro Style machine. There is NO pocket money from the go fund me.

Right. I think we're saying the same thing. I just don't think we're mutually understanding what is being said.

#2185 1 year ago

Guys I just got back from the bar. Had 5 beers & 2 on people I know. Had my supper, & drying out now. So there is a new mini whale in play that I talked with earlier. The big thing going now is a well known pinball designer is doing the design of the playfield. So I would think this might sell out at the max limit of 10 games for Trailer Trash pinball game. I will be holding back a Go Fund Me game if it reaches 9 people on the mini whale pod. That will give more time for a Go Fund Me, But the deadline would be the end of the year if needed. This is going to be a adult themed game, so we might have to have a restricted room at TPF. My brothers house will be ok in Austin for SXSW, private party, & we will make sure 21 or older.

#2186 1 year ago

Guys I just got back from the bar. Had 5 beers & 2 on people I know. Had my supper, & drying out now. So there is a new mini whale in play that I talked with earlier. The big thing going now is a well known pinball designer is doing the design of the playfield. So I would think this might sell out at the max limit of 10 games for Trailer Trash pinball game. I will be holding back a Go Fund Me game if it reaches 9 people on the mini whale pod. That will give more time for a Go Fund Me, But the deadline would be the end of the year if needed. This is going to be a adult themed game, so we might have to have a restricted room at TPF. My brothers house will be ok in Austin for SXSW, private party, & we will make sure 21 or older.

I'm gonna need to wait for the updated flow chart to understand the current state of things (more of a visual learner).

#2187 1 year ago

Also, has anyone been maintaining a development beer counter? Could be added to the OP and updated weekly.

#2188 1 year ago

I honestly can’t keep up with what the plan is

#2189 1 year ago
    Quoted from pinlink:

I honestly can’t keep up with what the plan is

I'm going with "Thar she blows ! "

LTG : )

#2190 1 year ago

....up

#2191 1 year ago

There will be no breathalyser gadget on this Pro style pinball game. Maybe Ben will include it on his future game. Same as no piss jugs with Trailer Trash pinball game.

#2192 1 year ago

Also, has anyone been maintaining a development beer counter? Could be added to the OP and updated weekly.

Like I always say come up for a visit to Halifax. We can pound back the beers & enjoy life or play pinball & drink. Dave Fix & his wife should come back for a visit again.

#2193 1 year ago

Like I always say come up for a visit to Halifax. We can pound back the beers & enjoy life or play pinball & drink. Dave Fix & his wife should come back for a visit again.

Sounds fun. Let me know when the Fixes will be there so I can schedule to coincide.

#2194 1 year ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

I think it has been made VERY clear that I am doing it for John and the project. If John would like to do his own go fund me, then I would be obliged to step aside.

No I want nothing to do with the Go Fund Me. The main thing people need to know is that the Trailer Trash pinball project remains private starting September 1 for the build. Only those in the pod will get weekly updates. If the Go Fund Me reaches its goal, all the stuff goes public on Pinside from the start to the end. The game is likely to be auctioned at Pinball Expo for charity for the Go Fund Me, & I am happy with nothing extra. So the ball will be with people stepping up & seeing that goal reached. The process goes public for the build or it fails. I should have 1 or more mini whales in play at $10k US to see this go ahead.

#2195 1 year ago

No I want nothing to do with the Go Fund Me. The main thing people need to know is that the Trailer Trash pinball project remains private starting September 1 for the build. Only those in the pod will get weekly updates. If the Go Fund Me reaches its goal, all the stuff goes public on Pinside from the start to the end. The game is likely to be auctioned at Pinball Expo for charity for the Go Fund Me, & I am happy with nothing extra. So the ball will be with people stepping up & seeing that goal reached. The process goes public for the build or it fails. I should have 1 or more mini whales in play at $10k US to see this go ahead.

Ugh ! Alright I’m out. I’m not paying for a public stream of this if people are handing you $10K to build them commercial units. You do you John. I’ll wait for the unveil at TPF. Good luck to you and your team. You are gonna need it. I truly hope real life lives up to your ambitions both for your sake and the people handing you not insignificant chunks of change here. We shall all find out eventually shan’t we.

#2196 1 year ago

I'm gonna need to wait for the updated flow chart to understand the current state of things (more of a visual learner).

I think between DR and whatever this becomes it could be your full time job if you wanted it to be.

#2197 1 year ago
    Quoted from pookycade:

I think between DR and whatever this becomes it could be your full time job if you wanted it to be.

Suppose I just need a stranger to start the gofundme.

#2198 1 year ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

If you’re making a ONE OFF pin for TPF, there’s absolutely no reason you can’t make a Trailer Park Boys machine.
    Just make one. It’s a prototype.
    You can use the *already available* video and sound assets from the show - that will save you hundreds of hours of work (and $$$$$)
    If the machine turns out awesome - THEN present it to the TPB guys with American (or whomever wants to produce it) and do a proper proposal to get the licence.

rd

The problem is that this represents a logical thought process. John is not in love with logical thought process.

He is clearly more enamored with the idea of being a sorta kinda pinball company than a home brew developer that might one day produce a commercial pin with some other companies help . So much so that TPB is more the hook than it is the tent pole forming the concept.

Unfortunately John believes that with a RPD TM. (Real pinball designer for those not in the know), that’s it, deal sealed. In the worn but appropriate trope: Step 1) interest RPD in project and use that to secure $10K takers. Step 2). ??? Step 3) Profit. The problem is DR had lots of those and way more money and look where that got them.

#2199 1 year ago

So I gather...if there is a mini-whale...then the gofundme won't be needed?

The point was to save the dream, even if he seemed dragged kicking and screaming
    into the funds. The guaranteed entertainment was just tasty gravy.

Dammit I had my inspirational post all written up...

"The bar was set so low it was practically a tripping hazard in hell,
    yet here you are, limbo dancing with the devil" - favorite saying
    --

Hell YES I am gong to contribute, and I think YOU should too.

It was the most ill-advised, poorly executed plan in all pinball history.

How could anyone NOT want to see it succeed?

See the force of SHEER SINCERITY triumph over common sense and logic,
    ignoring all advice, Horatio Alger and the AMERICAN DREAM (err, Canadian).
    Ernest passion inspiring all who come after to follow their dreams.

Every DAY it seems, the guy is swan-diving off an 11 story building
    into a chipper-shredder for our entertainment. When alien historians dig up this
    thread, I want them to see this back-assward plan FANTASTICALLY SUCCEED and think
    "NO WONDER they all died."

Just how dumb was it?

The Pitch:

"I want a dumb sucker with so much money that they won't even mind losing $100K
    to give me $100k. I will build a BLING pinball in 6 months. Or if it DIES, you will lose the money.
    Not gonna say what the theme is. There is no design, but I have a designer & art crew lined up.
    I drink a lot! I'm broke! If no one will do this, I will build up to 10 Pro machines in 6 months,
    for $10k a pop."

It WORKED! 3 people signed up!

The License:
    "license will be free, and granted in 2 weeks"
    Licensing company: "No."
    "they can't just DO that. They gotta let THE BOYS decide! Right?"

Theme Pivot:
    "IF the BOYS don't come up of of a license in a WEEK, the theme is Trailer Trash.
    Designer has a playfield design ready. Artwork MIGHT be huge veiny cocks, that's not up to me."

3 funding people drop out!

Funding Pivot:
    "Ok we go with gofund me OR maybe someone will also give me $10K for the new theme.
    But only if the BOYS don't come thru."

--------------------------------------------------------------
    Funding starts Saturday. John has done all he can.
    The BALL is in YOUR Court. It's YOUR MOVE. Contribute.
    --------------------------------------------------------------

#2200 1 year ago
    Quoted from pookycade:

Unfortunately John believes that with a RPD TM. (Real pinball designer for those not in the know)

You forgot "and alive"

There are 10,636 posts in this topic. You are on page 44 of 213.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/moby-dick-let-s-talk-whales-and-whale-watching/page/44?hl=greenhornet and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.