Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 10,636 posts
  • 267 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by BeachPickle
  • Topic is favorited by 72 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Trailer Trash-the Pin. The GWJ Chronicles”

• John finds the big whale and makes 1 "super LE CE Bling" Trailer Park Boys pin 17 votes
      11%
    • John finds 10 small whales and makes 10 "pro style homebrew type" Trailer Park Boys pins 11 votes
      7%
    • John buys an aquarium to pass the time until his dreams are realized 128 votes
      82%

(156 votes)

This poll has been closed.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

closed.gif
    EBC73878-BC53-4200-A2B6-C2F2E0527AAC (resized).jpeg
    F982508F-9554-4C5F-B499-531394F6F6C6 (resized).jpeg
    4E248FC9-0974-462E-9242-503735D9F3F4 (resized).jpeg
    2D3AED4E-728C-423B-AA1A-BC65047C5B9A.gif
    OTR.gif
    IMG_0355 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0363 (resized).JPG
    popcorns.gif
    IMG_0360 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0362 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0359 (resized).JPG
    worlds_worst_coach_trucker_hat-rcabf536f37e04dbc8095021b9983cf42_eahwj_8byvr_630 (resized).jpg
    7B29A5B0-680F-4306-A606-5CB78CED39B3_4_5005_c (resized).jpeg
    34C7A3AA-F74D-481F-8084-39C43A1199C7 (resized).jpeg
    93BD3918-24E8-44BF-A93F-1AB39CB7D00D (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

9 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

This topic is closed.

There are 10,636 posts in this topic. You are on page 27 of 213.
    #1301 1 year ago
    Quoted from LORDDREK:

So I posted an interesting and relevant tidbit regarding this for anyone who is willing to follow the path I gave a map for but who wants to search or even read anymore. Allow me to summarize:
    Foreign guy builds a homebrew of Dragons Lair. Friggen epic build with features you would expect to be found on the most limited of releases.
    Uses artwork and other IP features unique to the video game incorporates it to great effect.
    As the game reaches completion something bizarre happens. Some postings are made by the maker seeking support for the solicitation of machines being made in the likeness of this fantastic creation.
    Now here’s where things go off the rails and I’m working from memory however recent so the order or details might be off. Machine maker gets a cease & desist from the IP holder. Maker claims he never solicited the game and his account was hijacked by some known third party. Regardless IP holders say in no uncertain terms that even showing the machine in public will be met with lawsuits of the most unrelenting manner. A crushed creator crawls back into his den overcome with grief that his life’s work will never see the light of day…
    Now I took two things away from the above experience. The first is anyone can sue for anything regardless of laws in place. And a big enough opponent will win thru attrition. You see that everyday. The second is it is far better to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission. The above tale is a perfect example of this.
    So I am very curious to see how this works for John as I believe he is quite familiar with both the law and gag orders. I do hope this journey continues to be well documented but will not be surprised if this suddenly “Dies on the vine.”

I don’t know what Canadian copyright law says, but in the U.S. there is a defense to infringement called Fair Use. It is a multi-factor defense for the courts to analyze whether the use is a “fair use” of the copyrighted work. Commercial use is one factor that tends to weigh against a fair use. Not every time, but most of the time. And many courts consider commercial use to be the most important factor. Other facts include: nature of the work; amount and “substantiality” taken; and effect on the potential market.

One-off homebuilds don’t impact the market and are not sold = better chance of a finding of fair use.
    Selling the homebuild or one-off: doesn’t really impact the market much, but courts not very happy about you making a buck off someone else’s IP.
    Building a whole production line of pins for sale = fair use will likely be rejected.

Taxi is one example. The game initially had Marilyn Monroe as one of the five passengers. After 200 pins shipped, the Estate of Marilyn Monroe said no, and was not interested in a license. (I’m note sure how they settled the 200 shipped and still out in the world.)

And apparently the Dragon’s Lair folks said hell no to a license. That’s the copyright holder’s prerogative. Don’t know if they would win an infringement lawsuit against a home brew Dragon’s Lair pin, but the home brewer did not want to spend $$$$ in legal fees and take a huge legal risk in order to find out the answer.

#1302 1 year ago
    Quoted from greatwichjohn:

6 months is the timeline. I had my comment removed very early on the Deeproot - Chris Turner breakout today. It was not by me, & gone it seemed in seconds of posting. Guess I will focus my attention here.
    My understanding from Dave Fix talk was 2 new pinball companies the next 2 years in Illinois, not another one like Chris Turner. From my dealings like I have said there maybe more players coming in southern USA! Pretty sure the companies are not already known, but who knows. The Gottlieb mention I had no idea, but thought that would be logical since Haggis got into remakes with PPS. Interesting times are a coming to the industry.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #1303 1 year ago

Only 6 days to go.

When is the exact deadline?
    Noon on August 1, midnight when July 31 ends, midnight when August 1 ends?
    What time zone?

#1304 1 year ago

GWJ is hopeful a whale will be secured within a week. Why would someone pay you $100k to design and build a pinball machine from scratch? You have no experience designing a top 25 game. Why would a mini-whale pay you $10k?

They could buy a proven homerun machine designed by Keith Elwin, Brian Eddy, Eric Menieur, Joe Balcer, Dennis Nordman, George Gomez, Steve Ritchie, Scott Danesi or Dave Sanders. Where it would be built by Stern, American Pinball, CGC, JJP, Spooky or Pinball Bros. Or they could pay you to design a game without a chance of seeing it or maybe even receive a flaming bag of sh*t. Budget $20k for legal services as I can foresee many entanglements.

Realistic plan D -
    Buy a Hot Wheels. Retheme it and change artwork and toys and modify the code. Basically what Mrs Hardy does in creating custom games. I think one of those may cost $30k to do it right, but she has a rep for creating high caliper designs. I’d pay her to make a game for me and so would your whale. I don’t see your background creating art or having a strong aesthetic for art direction. Pick her to redo a HW into something a whale would be proud to own, keep $10k for your fees and refund $60k of unused money. Everybody wins, when no one loses.

#1306 1 year ago
    Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

GWJ is hopeful a whale will be secured within a week. Why would someone pay you $100k to design and build a pinball machine from scratch?

GWJ has repeatedly answered this. Because Whales are gamblers. They want something different and custom and one of a kind. They want a Trailer Park Boys pin. And they don't care about money, so it is worth the gamble.

Most of us don't get it, but he is on a mission and won't be deterred.

#1307 1 year ago

Yes there is the clock looking for the Big Whale. That one that would get a retired designer & artist involved from pinball past. Almost all my team is still working, except for myself & a past expert in the communication field. Nothing more really to say until August 1, when I see who is still in with the pod. Then see if ok is given for a prototype build of the game.

#1308 1 year ago

Yes there is the clock looking for the Big Whale. That one that would get a retired designer & artist involved from pinball past. Almost all my team is still working, except for myself & a past expert in the communication field. Nothing more really to say until August 1, when I see who is still in with the pod. Then see if ok is given for a prototype build of the game.

Yes you told us the same story a billion times and we all know it's never gonna happen, a billion times.

#1309 1 year ago
    Quoted from Roostking:

Yes you told us the same story a billion times and we all know it's never gonna happen, a billion times.

And yet..here you are. GjW living rent free

(I've told you a trillion times to stop exaggerating)

#1310 1 year ago
    pod-person.gifpod-person.gif
    #1311 1 year ago

Just need my Big Whale. The hunt continues on, & the water is getting warmer.

#1312 1 year ago

Lots of big mouths..still no whale tho! Good luck

#1313 1 year ago

Whales are jumping all over the place! Have you checked Massachusetts?

#1314 1 year ago

This is an interesting distinction. So the whale gets a retired designer and artist. Who does the mini pod get for design and art?

#1315 1 year ago

Wait, your team of hobbyists will only work part time on this for 6 months? Do they also get vacation?

#1316 1 year ago
    Quoted from DBLM:

This is an interesting distinction. So the whale gets a retired designer and artist. Who does the mini pod get for design and art?

Design for the pod is likely myself, & likely what those in want that are buying in. The art would be from the show for the pinball machine.
    Contrary to all the naysayers here the build will take place in 6 months. September to March 1, 2023 or it still could DIE. The project status will be known early in August, to give a little extra time. The plan is working for me, & I do have my pod with money to invest in this dream pinball theme. David Fix was almost speechless after the reveal title to him at Pintastic Show. More people have seen it in the USA, then what people are getting here.

#1317 1 year ago
    Quoted from clempo:

Wait, your team of hobbyists will only work part time on this for 6 months? Do they also get vacation?

That is all that is needed for hopefully a build of 1 or a few. Not running a pinball factory.

#1318 1 year ago

[...] David Fix was almost speechless after the reveal title to him at Pintastic Show. More people have seen it in the USA, then what people are getting here.

I wonder if David's recollection of this event is the same as you report...

#1319 1 year ago

#1320 1 year ago

Design for the pod is likely myself, & likely what those in want that are buying in. The art would be from the show for the pinball machine.
    Contrary to all the naysayers here the build will take place in 6 months. September to March 1, 2023 or it still could DIE. The project status will be known early in August, to give a little extra time. The plan is working for me, & I do have my pod with money to invest in this dream pinball theme. David Fix was almost speechless after the reveal title to him at Pintastic Show. More people have seen it in the USA, then what people are getting here.

Thank you for answering my question. This begs an obvious 2 questions: Do you have whitewood that you have developed or would the design start in August? Also, do you have experience with designing a layout?

#1321 1 year ago
    Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Buy a Hot Wheels. Retheme it and change artwork and toys and modify the code. Basically what Mrs Hardy does in creating custom games. I think one of those may cost $30k to do it right, but she has a rep for creating high caliper designs. I’d pay her to make a game for me and so would your whale. I don’t see your background creating art or having a strong aesthetic for art direction. Pick her to redo a HW into something a whale would be proud to own, keep $10k for your fees and refund $60k of unused money. Everybody wins, when no one loses.

Yes, a retheme is the way to go. Unfortunately, hiring them is not an option. I thought previous Hardy rethemes cost over $100K each to make. Also it takes them 2 years to complete the project.

#1322 1 year ago

That is all that is needed for hopefully a build of 1 or a few. Not running a pinball factory.

Of course, it does not take that long to build a single machine AFTER the design is done. We are trying to understand how you will design the machine.

#1323 1 year ago

It will not be a retheme. But pinball the last 70 years, different eras are a like in ways. Fast Pinball is likely the route I plan to use. Do not have a box of parts to show until this project is 100% moving forward in August.

#1324 1 year ago
    Quoted from clempo:

Of course, it does not take that long to build a single machine AFTER the design is done. We are trying to understand how you will design the machine.

#1325 1 year ago

It will be more than seen above. Testing will be on plywood, make sure shots are ok, just like anyone else would likely do. Already stated many times not a artist with crayons or sharpies.

#1326 1 year ago

until August 1, when I see who is still in with the pod..

Let me know if your need help managing your Pod, I manage half the state of Michigan.

IMG_20220726_104022586_HDR (resized).jpgIMG_20220726_104022586_HDR (resized).jpg
    #1327 1 year ago

You are a very smart guy. Storage is the best investment going, people buying too much crap!

#1328 1 year ago

I do not think David’d reaction means what you think it means.

#1329 1 year ago

You might want to take notes from this guy that does a lot of 3D printing and physical prototyping https://www.youtube.com/c/thepinballroom

#1330 1 year ago
    Quoted from DBLM:

It’s highly unlikely the “retired designer and artist” have been agreed to this. As it’s been made clear, Sandwich Clown thinks that people who listen to him drunkenly blab at shows are his friends & colleagues. If these people have agreed to be part of this project, he would clearly state names & verify that they’ve committed to working on this if the $100k is there.

The art would be from the show for the pinball machine.

The show doesn’t have “art.” It’s a live action show. Even if you’re going to just photoshop live elements into an art package, you need a competent artist to do it, or else it’ll look horrible.

#1331 1 year ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

It’s highly unlikely the “retired designer and artist” have been agreed to this. As it’s been made clear, Sandwich Clown thinks that people who listen to him drunkenly blab at shows are his friends & colleagues. If these people have agreed to be part of this project, he would clearly state names & verify that they’ve committed to working on this if the $100k is there.

The show doesn’t have “art.” It’s a live action show. Even if you’re going to just photoshop live elements into an art package, you need a competent artist to do it, or else it’ll look horrible.

Got to have a big whale first & ok. Already said I am no artist, someone skilled would do it (but not known in the pinball world).

#1332 1 year ago
    #1333 1 year ago

Just guesses:

Retired designer- Jon Norris
    Artist: Constantino Mitchell if the art is going to be bad. Alternate guess: Markus Rothkranz

#1334 1 year ago

"I'm going to get knocked up and delivery a fully working baby in 5 months"

"That isn't possible"

"No, it's possible"

#1335 1 year ago

So now the deadline has been moved out from Aug 1rst, to Early August to give a little extra time!
    Once you hook the whale you need a little more time to lane em' !

#1336 1 year ago

The deadline is still August 1. Then onto getting the ok when the number of buyers for prototype are known. 1 or more. It is a firm build timeline.
    There are lots of retired pinball designers & artists around the world. I would not start trashing their reputation here just because you did not like a game they did.

#1337 1 year ago

Got to have a big whale first & ok. Already said I am no artist, someone skilled would do it (but not known in the pinball world).

We know you’re not an artist. Or a designer. Or rational. You’re “selling” your product on a retired designer you don’t have. An artist you don’t have. A license you don’t have.

This is called False advertising & IP Fraud.

The correct way to do this was to get the license FIRST. Get a designer & artist to agree FIRST. Then pitch your product.

Assuming you get the license (you won’t), you’re going to be behind schedule immediately because you don’t have a designer or artist attached.

There are lots of retired pinball designers & artists around the world. I would not start trashing their reputation here just because you did not like a game they did.

No one is trashing their reputation. I’m trashing your inability to understand that their EXISTENCE is not a guarantee they are capable or willing to work with you. You literally have NO ONE contracted & locked in to work on this. Likely you haven’t even started a conversation with anyone. Don’t you understand how this immediately puts you behind schedule?

#1338 1 year ago
    Quoted from Haymaker:

Retired designer- Jon Norris

Norris got fucked by Derp, but at least got paid for a few years. Why would he be willing to work for a dumber boss & paid less (if at all).

#1339 1 year ago

I think it just has to be said:

David Fix.

#1340 1 year ago
    Quoted from benheck:

"I'm going to get knocked up and delivery a fully working baby in 5 months"
    "That isn't possible"
    "No, it's possible"

It’s actually quite possible. Premature delivery and/or C-section come to mind. Now the final product ends up needing a huge level of support. So much so that it is generally avoided unless completely necessary so why someone would willing choose this as the preferred route is beyond logical explanation.

Just trying to keep these metaphors as accurate as possible…

#1341 1 year ago

It's very obvious there is no plan on paper at this point. It feels like we are at the stage of why should I put any effort unless I have money secured. I still say 6 months with no drawings, renderings, storyline, AINT GONNA HAPPEN.

#1342 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

David Fix.

I would like to 2nd that David Fix.

#1343 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

David Fix.

Being a new kid on the block can you direct me to any relevant threads that would enlighten me as to the above statement? You have mentioned this a couple of times now and pinball industry history is intriguing to me…

#1344 1 year ago

I'll see your David Fix and raise you a Jersey Jack.

#1345 1 year ago
    Quoted from EternitytoM83:

I'll see your David Fix and raise you a Jersey Jack.

I will call with the "Intelligent Guy in The Industry." You know, the Whale guy?

#1346 1 year ago
    Quoted from LORDDREK:

Being a new kid on the block can you direct me to any relevant threads that would enlighten me as to the above statement? You have mentioned this a couple of times now and pinball industry history is intriguing to me…

It’s just poking fun at Sandwich Clown - he mentioned 100 times that he lumbered up to David Fix to tell him about his amazing Trailer Park Boys idea & that was somehow relevant to it actually getting made.

The truth is, David Fix sees this guy coming and is immediately looking for an exit.

#1347 1 year ago
    Quoted from PantherCityPins:

Here’s a question, can you imagine a pinball machine that you WOULD pay $100k for??
    I personally can’t imagine a machine I would be willing to spend $100k on, no matter who made it or what the theme was.

Easy answer. NO!

#1348 1 year ago

David Fix was almost speechless after the reveal title to him at Pintastic Show

He may have been speechless, but I am sure it wasn't for the reasons you seem to believe here in your little fantasy world.

#1349 1 year ago
    Quoted from LORDDREK:

It’s actually quite possible. Premature delivery and/or C-section come to mind. Now the final product ends up needing a huge level of support. So much so that it is generally avoided unless completely necessary so why someone would willing choose this as the preferred route is beyond logical explanation.
    Just trying to keep these metaphors as accurate as possible…

The answer is twice the workforce in half the time. Ginger AND Mary Ann.

#1350 1 year ago

Great points from people that are never going to be involved with my project. I have a plan, & you guys want it repeated every day. I know people, maybe you know people, who cares except you guys. 6 month build window or bust, or it could die before it even starts.

Nothing has changed except I have a pod of 3 mini whales, even if it drops to one it moves ahead. Better for me & my team for the build time. Also I have stated it will be a fully working pinball machine similar to a pro. Not a deep rule set, & not just a few light bulbs flashing.

Where is Jpop, that should be your focus when he resurfaces. But it will not be with me.

There are 10,636 posts in this topic. You are on page 27 of 213.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/moby-dick-let-s-talk-whales-and-whale-watching/page/27?hl=greenhornet and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.