Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 10,636 posts
  • 267 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by BeachPickle
  • Topic is favorited by 72 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Trailer Trash-the Pin. The GWJ Chronicles”

• John finds the big whale and makes 1 "super LE CE Bling" Trailer Park Boys pin 17 votes
      11%
    • John finds 10 small whales and makes 10 "pro style homebrew type" Trailer Park Boys pins 11 votes
      7%
    • John buys an aquarium to pass the time until his dreams are realized 128 votes
      82%

(156 votes)

This poll has been closed.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

closed.gif
    EBC73878-BC53-4200-A2B6-C2F2E0527AAC (resized).jpeg
    F982508F-9554-4C5F-B499-531394F6F6C6 (resized).jpeg
    4E248FC9-0974-462E-9242-503735D9F3F4 (resized).jpeg
    2D3AED4E-728C-423B-AA1A-BC65047C5B9A.gif
    OTR.gif
    IMG_0355 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0363 (resized).JPG
    popcorns.gif
    IMG_0360 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0362 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0359 (resized).JPG
    worlds_worst_coach_trucker_hat-rcabf536f37e04dbc8095021b9983cf42_eahwj_8byvr_630 (resized).jpg
    7B29A5B0-680F-4306-A606-5CB78CED39B3_4_5005_c (resized).jpeg
    34C7A3AA-F74D-481F-8084-39C43A1199C7 (resized).jpeg
    93BD3918-24E8-44BF-A93F-1AB39CB7D00D (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

9 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

This topic is closed.

There are 10,636 posts in this topic. You are on page 211 of 213.
    #10501 1 year ago

In case anyone is interested. Here is a link to the Visual Pinball table I made: see edit...

It still needs a lot of work, but I expect that fits everyone's expectations on this thread. It's my first upload so if it doesn't work for some reason let me know.

#10502 1 year ago
    Quoted from Tranquilize:

Not to discourage, but Avi, ask yourself if you want to dedicate more than a year of your life to building a machine. Experienced pinball guys take that long or longer. It's a Herculean task, especially if you're new to wiring and pinball architecture. You might want to just help Captain Car Crash try to finish his to get your feet wet.

You know something. As i was spending time with my family tonight and having a good time when i got something of a unsavoury message from an undisclosed person in regards to building it. So you know what i'm going to do? I'm definitely going to build it now. Do i want to dedicate a year to it? no. But i also don't think it's going to take a year with the kindness everyone has shown me here. Especially because i'd at least like to think i'm friends with alot of people here who are professionals in that regard.

#10503 1 year ago
    Quoted from AviRoo:

You know something. As i was spending time with my family tonight and having a good time when i got something of a unsavoury message from an undisclosed person in regards to building it. So you know what i'm going to do? I'm definitely going to build it now. Do i want to dedicate half a year to it? no. But i also don't think it's going to take half a year with the kindness everyone has shown me here. Especially because i'd at least like to think i'm friends with alot of people here who are professionals in that regard.

Spite is always one of the best reasons to do something

#10504 1 year ago
    Quoted from slag:

In case anyone is interested. Here is a link to the Visual Pinball table I made: https://www.vpforums.org/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=16999
    It still needs a lot of work, but I expect that fits everyone's expectations on this thread. It's my first upload so if it doesn't work for some reason let me know.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #10505 1 year ago
    Quoted from AviRoo:

[quoted image]

Are you signed in?

#10506 1 year ago
    Quoted from slag:

Are you signed in?

Yup

#10507 1 year ago
    Quoted from AviRoo:

[quoted image]

Same thing with me.

#10508 1 year ago
    Quoted from mbwalker:

Same thing with me.

I PM'd Avi. Maybe there is a moderation time? I don't know. I'm gonna leave it until tomorrow.

#10509 1 year ago
    Quoted from slag:

I PM'd Avi. Maybe there is a moderation time? I don't know. I'm gonna leave it until tomorrow.

No biggie, might be something I'm doing. I did have a login tho (i.e. just didn't sign up).

#10510 1 year ago

Merry Christmas everyone! I took down the video due to the unpopular latter half part. Sorry folks! I stepped a bit out of line

#10511 1 year ago
    Quoted from AviRoo:

HD processing is still uploading but for those who are interested i found 100% real footage of John's daily life activities. i redid the master of puppets cover. And something a little extra for something for people who find themselves at the end of the 'cover'
    (If you can't view it. hover over it with your mouse and click on the 'Youtube' icon at the bottom of the videoplayer.)

You are up late. Are you waiting for Santa??

#10512 1 year ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

You are up late. Are you waiting for Santa??

Waiting to hear a pinball machine smash down through the chimney!..... or not

#10513 1 year ago
    Quoted from greatwichjohn:

Beer count today was 3.5 beers this afternoon, & a can of Guinness tonight.

Who did you share your half beer with? Hopefully a good friend on Christmas eve

#10514 1 year ago
    Quoted from AviRoo:

Waiting to hear a pinball machine smash down through the chimney!..... or not

I buy my own presents...that way I get what I want!
    I gifted myself a Bally paragon, but I need to go through a couple things on it.

#10515 1 year ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

I buy my own presents...that way I get what I want!
    I gifted myself a Bally paragon, but I need to go through a couple things on it.

Well. now that we're acquainted you'll be able to purchase me a pinball as a present next year LOL.
    In seriousness. I've never played Bally Paragon but i've seen it before. It's another one of those gorgeous pinballs from the late 70s that i'd love to own. That and Centuar. i don't particularly like playing centaur only because of the floatiness of it. but it's a beautiful game.

#10516 1 year ago
    Quoted from AviRoo:

Well. now that we're acquainted you'll be able to purchase me a pinball as a present next year LOL.
    In seriousness. I've never played Bally Paragon but i've seen it before. It's another one of those gorgeous pinballs from the late 70s that i'd love to own. That and Centuar. i don't particularly like playing centaur only because of the floatiness of it. but it's a beautiful game.

Floatiness is going to be more of an individual game and setup thing, you can definitely tune up and setup a Centaur so that it doesn't play floaty.

#10517 1 year ago
    Quoted from AviRoo:

i got something of a unsavoury message from an undisclosed person in regards to building it.

Pinside = 90% really good people
    5% questionable characters
    5% certified douche bags

Don't ever give the minority any validation and you will be golden.

Merry Christmas!

#10518 1 year ago

At the apartment this xmas morning doing the laundry. Then I will head to the workshop for food & drink. Got a call from the game store owner wondering if I was still at the shop after 8 pm. Seems like the idiots at Amazon left a box by their door, kiss that one goodbye! Yes there seemed to be some unsavory pm 's between the coach & Avi xmas eve. I tried to calm the coach down, get with the xmas spirit of good things to all men. But who knows, Grinch, or the giving spirit. Stay tuned for maybe more shocking news over the holidays, or not, or it DIES!

#10519 1 year ago

Yes there seemed to be some unsavory pm 's between the coach & Avi xmas eve. I tried to calm the coach down, get with the xmas spirit of good things to all men. But who knows, Grinch, or the giving spirit.

Welcome to the club, Avi. It's not an exclusive club but I'm pretty sure we can fit you in.

#10520 1 year ago

Yes there seemed to be some unsavory pm 's between the coach & Avi xmas eve. I tried to calm the coach down, get with the xmas spirit of good things to all men. But who knows, Grinch, or the giving spirit. Stay tuned for maybe more shocking news over the holidays, or not, or it DIES!

grinchHeart2.gifgrinchHeart2.gif
    #10521 1 year ago
    Quoted from AviRoo:

HD processing is still uploading but for those who are interested i found 100% real footage of John's daily life activities. i redid the master of puppets cover. And something a little extra for something for people who find themselves at the end of the 'cover'
    (If you can't view it. hover over it with your mouse and click on the 'Youtube' icon at the bottom of the videoplayer.)

Uff… harsh ending. I’m not sure this fits the spirit of playful banter. A little dark.

#10522 1 year ago
    Quoted from fastpinball:

I need to stay away from this thread. It still just makes me feel sad.
    I hope nobody interested in building a homebrew pinball machine comes across this thread and thinks this is what the journey is really like.
    Maybe I'll check back in another 3,000ish posts.
    Aaron
    FAST Pinball

I hope nobody looking for any life advice or the definition of an alcoholic comes across this thread

#10523 1 year ago

Yes there seemed to be some unsavory pm 's between the coach & Avi xmas eve.

John, wait a minute, coach is the one who sent the "unsavory" message to Avi??

#10524 1 year ago

... Yes there seemed to be some unsavory pm 's between the coach & Avi xmas eve. I tried to calm the coach down, get with the xmas spirit of good things to all men. But who knows, Grinch, or the giving spirit. ...

ummmmmm-excuse-me.gifummmmmm-excuse-me.gif
    #10525 1 year ago

Lol! An interesting twist to the Tale of Two Whitewoods. I can’t say I don’t blame Iceman for feeling negative about this. After all it is his several thousand dollars that got everything this far. I need to say this again. SEVERAL THOUSAND DOLLARS. American cash money. For a charcuterie board from Pinball Life. Merry friggen Christmas…

Now all that said Ice you really should have reigned the mighty Greatwich in. Not by stifling his internet presence but by actually coaching this build and not just stroking his ego like an All-Star because he ain’t…

#10526 1 year ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

John, wait a minute, coach is the one who sent the "unsavory" message to Avi??

93BD3918-24E8-44BF-A93F-1AB39CB7D00D (resized).jpeg93BD3918-24E8-44BF-A93F-1AB39CB7D00D (resized).jpeg
    #10527 1 year ago
    Quoted from LORDDREK:

I need to say this again. SEVERAL THOUSAND DOLLARS. American cash money.

He made it quite clear that the money was no big deal at all, like change he found in his couch.

Who knows what his issue is, besides his longhorn heart being 2 sizes too small.(that was awesome btw)

#10528 1 year ago
    Quoted from LORDDREK:

Lol! An interesting twist to the Tale of Two Whitewoods. I can’t say I don’t blame Iceman for feeling negative about this. After all it is his several thousand dollars that got everything this far. I need to say this again. SEVERAL THOUSAND DOLLARS. American cash money. For a charcuterie board from Pinball Life. Merry friggen Christmas…
    Now all that said Ice you really should have reigned the mighty Greatwich in. Not by stifling his internet presence but by actually coaching this build and not just stroking his ego like an All-Star because he ain’t…

Maybe I misinterpreted Avi talking shit about GWJ as I was catching up on the thread? Then again, this whole thing has become something out of the Twilight Zone!

John was the one who encouraged Avi to do the original Norris design to drum up some more interest. Not what I envisioned

Go for it guys. I’m getting out of the middle of all this.

GWJ and Avi can do it together. Somebody can come up with the $$$ for the parts and I’ll donate the funds to charity

Merry Xmas!

#10529 1 year ago

This was the part I never understood. There was a finished CAD ready to go. Instead, it was printed out on paper and mounted to a board and modifications were made. No thought to how one gets those mods back into CAD to cut a real CNC playfield.

I’ll liken this to what I do in electronics. Long ago I breadboarded everything, with a rats nest of wires. These days I come up with the design, put it into EasyEDA, send it off to JLCPCB, even having them build most of it, and I have a testable board in a week.

The CAD should have been modified to John’s initial liking and then made via CNC. Way faster than whatever he is doing. Even if he had a flipping whitewood of sorts it would still have to get back into CAD and tested via CNC.

I know I know, I am asking for logic after 12 beers. But the thought process is so foreign to me it’s just baffling.

#10530 1 year ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

I’m getting out of the middle of all this.
    GWJ and Avi can do it together.

I'm confused. Whatever Avi builds has no bearing on what GWJ is doing (or not doing). We thought you were good with the bastardized layout. How does this change the original project and it's trajectory?

#10531 1 year ago
    Quoted from dscapo:

Uff… harsh ending. I’m not sure this fits the spirit of playful banter. A little dark.

Is it too much? i'll take it down. I was kind of in a dark humour mood last night with all that nonsense going on in the DM's

#10532 1 year ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Maybe I misinterpreted Avi talking shit about GWJ as I was catching up on the thread? Then again, this whole thing has become something out of the Twilight Zone!
    John was the one who encouraged Avi to do the original Norris design to drum up some more interest. Not what I envisioned
    Go for it guys. I’m getting out of the middle of all this.
    GWJ and Avi can do it together. Somebody can come up with the $$$ for the parts and I’ll donate the funds to charity
    Merry Xmas!

You JUST NOW realized this thread is out of the twilight zone? Very astute!

Lame you are pulling out of this with your couch money, but your choice

Merry Christmas!

#10533 1 year ago
    Quoted from AviRoo:

Is it too much? i'll take it down.

Yeah, it definitely misses the mark..

#10534 1 year ago
    Quoted from Beechwood:

I'm confused. Whatever Avi builds has no bearing on what GWJ is doing (or not doing). We thought you were good with the bastardized layout. How does this change the original project and it's trajectory?

With how all this has played out it’s time to go to the all in “community build”

It was fun while it lasted.

#10535 1 year ago
    Quoted from Beechwood:

Sounds like he is using this "original layout" as an excuse to off-ramp and bail.

#10536 1 year ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

With how all this has played out it’s time to go to the all in “community build”
    It was fun while it lasted.

GWJ has taken 0 input from anyone.. and to your chagrin, apparently none from you as well.

Have you actually followed along?? None of this should be a surprise to you.

#10537 1 year ago
    Quoted from BeachPickle:

Yeah, it definitely misses the mark..

Sorry. that was wholeheartedly my fault. i'll refrain from doing that from now on. My apologies everyone that was extremely stupid to post.

#10538 1 year ago
    Quoted from Roostking:

GWJ has taken 0 input from anyone.. and to your chagrin, apparently you as well.
    Have you actually followed along?? None of this should be a surprise to you.

John likely should have had the reins held a bit tighter. On his own - he's a hot mess but it's probably too late at this point.

So where does this go from here? Hope it continues in some manner.

#10539 1 year ago
    Quoted from Roostking:

You JUST NOW realized this thread is out of the twilight zone? Very astute!
    Lame you are pulling out of this with your couch money, but your choice
    Merry Christmas!

You think I just now realized it?

I wanted to give GWJ the opportunity and this is where we are at now. It’s a fun project. I wasn’t looking for the next master pin.

Can still end up doing something charitable out of this.

#10540 1 year ago

Merry Christmas

#10541 1 year ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

Merry Christmas

Merry Christmas! And Merry Christmas everyone else!

#10542 1 year ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

I wanted to give GWJ the opportunity and this is where we are at now. It’s a fun project. I wasn’t looking for the next master pin.

Do you feel that since there's a lack of progress it will never get done and it's just a waste of time?

#10543 1 year ago

Uh oh. Looks like John's unlimited free beer card just expired.

#10544 1 year ago

That is too bad. I really was hoping to see: Crowd sourced original Norris whitewood vs Coach and GWJ's maniacally altered whitewood.

I still feel like both can exist and move forward, but of course, it isn't my money being fronted.

#10545 1 year ago
    Quoted from Beechwood:

I tend to believe this was the excuse he was looking for to GTFO.

#10546 1 year ago
    Quoted from Roostking:

Do you feel that since there's a lack of progress it will never get done and it's just a waste of time?

Wouldn’t you say that is the consensus of 99.99% of the opinion here?

If it’s at “2% complete” it’s a long ways from the goal line.

I’ve sent John $6k to this point. I like John, he is a good guy but the focus should probably go into the “community build” now.

#10547 1 year ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Its clear what your expectations were by this point. But from the outside looking in the leash could have been a whole lot shorter. John clearly does not perform well with no accountability. Hell he barely performs with it. As a coach I would put my own goalposts up.
    I hope maybe you take this route over bailing because this will literally die on the vine. Just like John predicted…

#10548 1 year ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

I tend to believe this was the excuse he was looking for to GTFO.

I don’t need any excuses Kojak. It is what it is now.

#10549 1 year ago
    Quoted from LORDDREK:

Its clear what your expectations were by this point. But from the outside looking in the leash could have been a whole lot shorter. John clearly does not perform well with no accountability. Hell he barely performs with it. As a coach I would put my own goalposts up.
    I hope maybe you take this route over bailing because this will literally die on the vine. Just like John predicted…

Yeah no doubt. That’s on me. It’s not like he wasn’t getting a constant barrage of suggestions, good ones, daily. I didn’t/don’t want to micro manage something like this. Don’t have the time or “want to”. Just meant to be a fun project.

#10550 1 year ago

Most of the attention/ enthusiasm seem to have shifted to Avi's build. I'm really interested to see how it turns out. The kid's a hard worker and managed to stay focused despite John's (lack of) efforts.

There are 10,636 posts in this topic. You are on page 211 of 213.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/moby-dick-let-s-talk-whales-and-whale-watching/page/211?hl=rezdog and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.