Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 10,636 posts
  • 267 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by BeachPickle
  • Topic is favorited by 72 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Trailer Trash-the Pin. The GWJ Chronicles”

• John finds the big whale and makes 1 "super LE CE Bling" Trailer Park Boys pin 17 votes
      11%
    • John finds 10 small whales and makes 10 "pro style homebrew type" Trailer Park Boys pins 11 votes
      7%
    • John buys an aquarium to pass the time until his dreams are realized 128 votes
      82%

(156 votes)

This poll has been closed.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

closed.gif
    EBC73878-BC53-4200-A2B6-C2F2E0527AAC (resized).jpeg
    F982508F-9554-4C5F-B499-531394F6F6C6 (resized).jpeg
    4E248FC9-0974-462E-9242-503735D9F3F4 (resized).jpeg
    2D3AED4E-728C-423B-AA1A-BC65047C5B9A.gif
    OTR.gif
    IMG_0355 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0363 (resized).JPG
    popcorns.gif
    IMG_0360 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0362 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0359 (resized).JPG
    worlds_worst_coach_trucker_hat-rcabf536f37e04dbc8095021b9983cf42_eahwj_8byvr_630 (resized).jpg
    7B29A5B0-680F-4306-A606-5CB78CED39B3_4_5005_c (resized).jpeg
    34C7A3AA-F74D-481F-8084-39C43A1199C7 (resized).jpeg
    93BD3918-24E8-44BF-A93F-1AB39CB7D00D (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

9 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

This topic is closed.

There are 10,636 posts in this topic. You are on page 183 of 213.
    #9101 1 year ago

This is how I tackled wiring up a game

Populated mechs
    17368F7B-5E8B-4BE7-9D2D-80229CAE53BD (resized).jpeg17368F7B-5E8B-4BE7-9D2D-80229CAE53BD (resized).jpeg

Switch wiring along the sides
    AB9360F8-F833-4842-86D7-A47433C9CE97 (resized).jpegAB9360F8-F833-4842-86D7-A47433C9CE97 (resized).jpeg

Central high voltage trunk that coils tie into
    199BA9EF-8A16-491B-882F-1B588E06E0F4 (resized).jpeg199BA9EF-8A16-491B-882F-1B588E06E0F4 (resized).jpeg

#9102 1 year ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

Populated mechs
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]

Looks like 2 months of work there in this dimension

#9103 1 year ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

Populated mechs
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]

I've never done one from scratch, only pf swaps. However, I'm guessing inventing a new one is a major pain in the ass and takes time.

#9104 1 year ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

Looks like 2 months of work there in this dimension

I stripped the guts of the game (severe fire damage), made a new wire harness, and put on connectors, all in a 3 day weekend. It's really not that bad if you just sit down and get to work.

It's really easy to make a harness if you're not dealing with a matrix.

#9105 1 year ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

I stripped the guts of the game (severe fire damage), made a new wire harness, and put on connectors, all in a 3 day weekend. It's really not that bad if you just sit down and get to work.
    It's really easy to make a harness if you're not dealing with a matrix.

Are you tempted to make the original 3 pop- jon norris design into a working whitewood yet?
    Or is anyone else considering it?! This pin needs to be built and flipped. (Motorhead themed preferred!)

#9106 1 year ago

We are all somewhat addicted to the daily beer count. Is it possible that for this phase of the build we could also get a daily wire count? It was a herculean effort I'm sure to get those critical first 4 done... will be interesting to see if the pace picks up now.

#9107 1 year ago
    Quoted from Dee-Bow:

Are you tempted to make the original 3 pop- jon norris design into a working whitewood yet?

People ask me this a lot in private.

The more John deviates from the original, the more I want to. But I'd want to talk to Jon Norris about it since it's his design. I don't want to make a lot of drama for him (or GWJ). But also, I wouldn't do the original design verbatim. I have some of my own tweaks based off what parts I happen to have and original ideas I want to utilize in a homebrew game. I've written a lot of chicken scratch on the print out...

I have another design I've been mocking up in virtual software. It features the figure 8 shot on the right, but the left is totally different (and is a four flipper game). I'm also still curious about the Elwin Bond that is MIA and what sort of ideas he has for a single level, and if there is anything worth stealing iterating on.

tl;dr maybe

#9108 1 year ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

The more John deviates from the original, the more I want to. But I'd want to talk to Jon Norris about it since it's his design. I don't want to make a lot of drama for him (or GWJ). But also, I wouldn't do the original design verbatim. I have some of my own tweaks based off what parts I happen to have and original ideas I want to utilize in a homebrew game. I've written a lot of chicken scratch on the print out...
    I have another design I've been mocking up in virtual software. It features the figure 8 shot on the right, but the left is totally different (and is a four flipper game). I'm also still curious about the Elwin Bond that is MIA and what sort of ideas he has for a single level, and if there is anything worth stealing iterating on.
    tl;dr maybe

I need to re listen to last weeks super awesome pinball show. Franchi had Gomez back on to talk about Bond and I swear he mentioned Elwin’s game had some sort of figure eight shot.

#9109 1 year ago

Just finished packing a backglass & had my lunch. See what the wire count is today.

IMG_0259 (resized).JPGIMG_0259 (resized).JPG
    #9110 1 year ago
    Quoted from greatwichjohn:

Most beers consumed likely 18 - 20 in a day.

#9111 1 year ago

Can't wait to see today's progress on the wiring!

img_567bbad308207 (resized).pngimg_567bbad308207 (resized).png
    #9112 1 year ago
    Quoted from roffels:

I'd actually be interested in a vegan thread if you wanted to start one. I don't think this thread is the best avenue.

A vegan thread has already been done but that was 5 years ago. Bump it or begin anew? I'll participate either way.
    I'm a part time vegetarian and yes, I know that's confusing.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/a-vegan-thread-for-bobukcat

OK, back on topic.

Most beers consumed likely 18 - 20 in a day.

John, do you ever sleep with one foot on the floor?

#9113 1 year ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

tl;dr maybe

or not?

#9114 1 year ago

Thanks Kim I responded with my address about the coats.

#9115 1 year ago

I will give John credit for a nicely packed backglass! I like the solid metal corner protectors.

Regarding the harness - looks like there's just random wire lengths getting attached (i hope not all the same color!) to mechs, nothing on the other end setup. So no real planning here.. rat's nest for this whitewood.. which is fine to test geometry and make all the tweaks (that may or may not happen). But a "final" version is going to require a lot more planning and time to properly manage all the wires. It gets real messy once you add in the LED's everywhere as well..

I spent many hours this weekend killing a few bugs in my homebrew code, and adding in a few video clips and animations with text for ball saves.. and it reminded me how much time you can kill in coding (where I am lumping sound, lights, points, controlled coils, machine behavior etc.) something to get it right. I'll have a beer or whiskey sometimes while I work.. but it's easy to see things get sloppy if you keep drinking. Wiring takes a long time.. all the pinning of connectors, tracing things out, making sure it's correct. Ideally you are writing down somewhere (not a napkin!) which switch and coil..etc is pinned in to which place on a housing. Once you pin a few and insert into a housing.. wires get crossed up really quick and the rat's nest is real.

#9116 1 year ago

How much programming is required to actually do something with this wiring? Is the programmer ready to roll?

#9117 1 year ago

Yes I am still reading up on the wiring. For my glass shipments those are cardboard strap protectors I use to buy in a big box. Never had any problems with UPS dropping the glass on a corner, & glass had honeycomb cardboard spacers. You can not protect from heavy objects going through the sides. Do not waste your money on insurance that they will refuse to pay. About 3% loss over the years that I took care myself.

#9118 1 year ago
    Quoted from dr_nybble:

How much programming is required to actually do something with this wiring? Is the programmer ready to roll?

Very minimal with MPF and a P3-ROC. Most of the configuration file could be written in a few hours, assuming John gives them decent notes on how everything connects to the boards.

Because of the type of flipper coil he is using, he has to hook it up to a controller. If it was a dual wound, then he could have hard wired it to the power supply directly and used an EOS switch to make the power to hold transition. But with single wound, you have to have a capable transistor changing the pulse width timing, otherwise it'll burn up within seconds of continuous activation.

#9119 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mbecker:

I like the solid metal corner protectors.

I think those are just pieces of the hard fiberboard corner protectors.
    Could be metal but looks to me like the fiberboard ones.
    Those are thick and sturdy as well though...

Edit: Ok, never mind John already confirmed this

#9120 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mbecker:

I spent many hours this weekend killing a few bugs in my homebrew code, and adding in a few video clips and animations with text for ball saves.. and it reminded me how much time you can kill in coding (where I am lumping sound, lights, points, controlled coils, machine behavior etc.) something to get it right. I'll have a beer or whiskey sometimes while I work.. but it's easy to see things get sloppy if you keep drinking.

When I first got into the homebrew rabbit hole, I devoured every work log I could find to learn as much as I could.

The number one conclusion I drew from that: the vast majority of people quit once they have to program more than the most basic of gameplay elements

It's part of why I dove into a retheme first. I didn't know how much of the coding I would like/want to do, so I was iffy about spending a lot of time on a total custom build (also a retheme gives you less to bite off at once, while still being...a lot). And now having done it, I know I can do an early classic solid state or early alphanumeric...and that's about where my capabilities/willingness-to-learn hit the wall.

My perspective of pinball software is night and day difference after getting into homebrew. The software >> physical layout and it's not close IMO. You can make a bad layout fun with software. Bad software on a fun layout is a dull game no matter how well it shoots.

Hell, I'm sometimes more interested in how a company like Stern uses the LCD screen than the layout itself.

#9121 1 year ago

I'm beginning to think the only chance for John's Stern pro style game debuting at TPF involves going into business with Rumpelstiltskin.

#9122 1 year ago
    Quoted from blueberryjohnson:

I'm beginning to think the only chance for John's Stern pro style game debuting at TPF involves going into business with Rumpelstiltskin.

I still think there's a second pin being built behind the scenes and maybe not by John.

#9123 1 year ago
    Quoted from Roostking:

I still think there's a second pin being built behind the scenes and maybe not by John.

Interesting conspiracy theory. Did you pick that up from the breadcrumbs?

#9124 1 year ago
    Quoted from Roostking:

Are we reading the same thread?

#9125 1 year ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

There "IS" a separate pin being built.

Along the lines of the Dominos pin, but for Sobey's.

GWJ is their corporate spokesperson, pinball designer and builder.

All the rest is a smokescreen.....

#9126 1 year ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

I've mentioned it before I cannot believe Ice is gonna go down like this lol. If hes got 10 grand to fund this, then he definitely got 10 grand to make it happen somewhere else.

#9127 1 year ago
    Quoted from blueberryjohnson:

Interesting conspiracy theory. Did you pick that up from the breadcrumbs?

Yes, OrNot.

#9128 1 year ago
    Quoted from dr_nybble:

yeah, as TreyBo69 mentioned -- With MPF anyone can follow the well-written tutorial and if you wired everything correctly, get the game flipping within hours, with a basic score showing and even running start to end thru a 3 ball game with trough management. After that.. it becomes a lot more reading and work to put all the coding together.

#9129 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mbecker:

yeah, as TreyBo69 mentioned -- With MPF anyone can follow the well-written tutorial and if you wired everything correctly, get the game flipping within hours, with a basic score showing and even running start to end thru a 3 ball game with trough management. After that.. it becomes a lot more reading and work to put all the coding together.

You forgot who is building this, & it will be lucky to be flipping in days if not weeks. Lots to learn on how to get it done, & again there is no second pin hiding out some where to be revealed. Might get off the beer wagon, or not! Stuff has to get out of here.

#9130 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mbecker:

I think this is the bare minimum to get it to work

config_version=5

hardware:
    platform: p3_roc
    driverboards: pdb

switches:
    s_left_flipper:
    number: [tbd by GWJ]
    s_right_flipper:

coils:
    c_flipper_left:
    allow_enable: true
    default_hold_power: 0.125
    default_pulse_ms: 20
    c_flipper_right:
    allow_enable: true
    default_hold_power: 0.125
    default_pulse_ms: 20

flippers:
    left_flipper:
    main_coil: c_flipper_left
    activation_switch: s_left_flipper
    enable_events: machine_reset_phase_3
    right_flipper:
    main_coil: c_flipper_right
    activation_switch: s_right_flipper
    enable_events: machine_reset_phase_3

playfields:
    playfield:
    tags: default
    default_source_device: None

I think that's the absolute bare minimum to get a game flipping in MPF.

#9131 1 year ago

TreyBo69 your posts today have been inspiring. Between your playfield wiring post and steps on jumping into P-Roc I have the confidence to continue to the flip phase. Thank you for that!

#9132 1 year ago
    Quoted from Roostking:

You've caught me. I'm actually building a true-to-detailed version of the Jon Norris Pinball to unveil at the Texas Pinball Event. I wanted to keep it a secret and all but now that you've cleverly seen it.

#9133 1 year ago
    Quoted from Roostking:

I've mentioned it before I cannot believe Ice is gonna go down like this lol. If hes got 10 grand to fund this, then he definitely got 10 grand to make it happen somewhere else.

Then why pay GWJ at all?

#9134 1 year ago
    Quoted from roffels:

Then why pay GWJ at all?

We owe for his nirvana like characterization of Nova Scotia as xanadu and shangri-la
    pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#9135 1 year ago
    Quoted from roffels:

Then why pay GWJ at all?

Welcome, to the machine.. This is all a simulation. Answer me this, has anyone ever seen Keanu Reeves & Avi in the same room?! Didn't think so! This is some next level Johnny Mnemonic / Matrix 1, 2 & 3 shit going on. Just saying! * side note.. headed to a friend's to play pins. Yes, a jon norris designed Surf n Safari is in the line-up!

#9136 1 year ago

We should be tracking daily beer count in Excel.

Err, maybe not.

#9137 1 year ago

No beer today. Spent my day cleaning up the shop for Avi on Tuesday. I still need to work on getting games out this week.

#9138 1 year ago

What is your mailing address John?! I got a lil something to send and maybe help brighten up the long days that turn to nights at the shop! Breadcrumbs have previously been dropped as to what it is !

Pm me if you prefer

#9139 1 year ago

John, serious question, if for some reason you do not have the pin ready for TPF do you still plan to attend?

#9140 1 year ago

I will know by March 1, 2023 what the status of the project is.

#9141 1 year ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

I think this is the bare minimum to get it to work
    config_version=5
    hardware:
    platform: p3_roc
    driverboards: pdb

It’s a lot easier than that.

Get a power supply, some old early SYS11 flipper mechs and some flipper switches. Grab some old style pop bumpers.

Wire the switches straight to the power supply. Just like the old days.

Flip flip flip!

Not something you’d use permanently but perfect for testing.

What John is making now will be used as a wall hanging in time, when he makes the *actual* playfield.

Then we can go through all this all over again.

rd

#9142 1 year ago

How do you think you are trending with your plan? Are you ahead of schedule or behind? What lessons have you learned so far?

#9143 1 year ago

Pinball building is hard. Glad I do not have to do 10.

#9144 1 year ago

Pinball building is hard. Glad I do not have to do 10.

Uh huh, Im waiting for the Sobeys pinball reveal....

Street Hooker mode

Gray ham mode

Daily expired food hunt

Broken grill mode

Crazy street person mode

There are too many to list.

#9145 1 year ago

I think we all know what the status will be .........

#9146 1 year ago
    Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

I think we all know what the status will be .........

Or not, on my way to Sobeys & see Avi at the shop. They had the executive funeral sandwich tray discounted Monday, looked good but too much for one person.

#9147 1 year ago
    Quoted from Roostking:

This is the third time this idea has been floated about. See my post from months ago, post #5013:

"Imagine for a moment, if you will, that the one in control disappears from sight while pulling the strings as a muse.

Everyone doubted you, now give them reason to. All while progress is made under the cloak of the darkness which is the ruse.

La plus belle des ruses du diable est de vous persuader qu'il n'existe pas. ("The devil's finest trick is to persuade you that he does not exist.")

I could be wrong... been wrong before."

#9148 1 year ago

I've been holding this in, but Avi has begun to take over some pin tasks and the conspiracies continue to swirl. My angle is as far-fetched and improbable as the others...

Avi is a plant sent by Ice- JPOPS nephew in fact, and knows more than he is letting on. JPOP has been banging on closed doors + GWJ is building a pin + Ice has money to lose. Some photos on a bulletin board, some yarn connections, and Avi quietly takes over the build at the direction of JPOP. TPF reveals Alice in Wonderland. Ice's final trophy, last laugh, mic drop. Everyone wishes they were a whale. Roll credits.

I like Avi- I believe it is uncommon that a new member garners such goodwill so quickly. I hope this post is not somehow interpreted as a cheap shot at him, or anyone else.

#9149 1 year ago

The real conspiracy is Avi is JPop after cosmetic surgery in Tijuana

#9150 1 year ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

The real conspiracy is Avi is JPop after cosmetic surgery in Tijuana

There are 10,636 posts in this topic. You are on page 183 of 213.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/moby-dick-let-s-talk-whales-and-whale-watching/page/183 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.