Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 10,636 posts
  • 267 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by BeachPickle
  • Topic is favorited by 72 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Trailer Trash-the Pin. The GWJ Chronicles”

• John finds the big whale and makes 1 "super LE CE Bling" Trailer Park Boys pin 17 votes
      11%
    • John finds 10 small whales and makes 10 "pro style homebrew type" Trailer Park Boys pins 11 votes
      7%
    • John buys an aquarium to pass the time until his dreams are realized 128 votes
      82%

(156 votes)

This poll has been closed.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

closed.gif
    EBC73878-BC53-4200-A2B6-C2F2E0527AAC (resized).jpeg
    F982508F-9554-4C5F-B499-531394F6F6C6 (resized).jpeg
    4E248FC9-0974-462E-9242-503735D9F3F4 (resized).jpeg
    2D3AED4E-728C-423B-AA1A-BC65047C5B9A.gif
    OTR.gif
    IMG_0355 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0363 (resized).JPG
    popcorns.gif
    IMG_0360 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0362 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0359 (resized).JPG
    worlds_worst_coach_trucker_hat-rcabf536f37e04dbc8095021b9983cf42_eahwj_8byvr_630 (resized).jpg
    7B29A5B0-680F-4306-A606-5CB78CED39B3_4_5005_c (resized).jpeg
    34C7A3AA-F74D-481F-8084-39C43A1199C7 (resized).jpeg
    93BD3918-24E8-44BF-A93F-1AB39CB7D00D (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

9 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

This topic is closed.

There are 10,636 posts in this topic. You are on page 172 of 213.
    #8551 1 year ago
    Quoted from Roostking:

Nor does he seem depressed.
    I agree on the life coaching as well. If Avi feels he wants some guidance, he can read the 1st 140 pages of this thread.

I’ll sum it up for him: eat and drink shit, and you’ll feel like shit

Garbage in, garbage out

#8552 1 year ago

The drops are right there. They’re just in the down position…

Also how will this affect the CASH/MONEY feature? We need a bigger word than CASH due to the late addition of more standups

Wealthy?

Or let’s get back to trailer trash, Welfare

#8553 1 year ago
    Quoted from greatwichjohn:

You missed out on the notorious seminar at Pintastic this year. I seem to know my wood products & what to do with them. Repairs to pinball cabinets, & vids, along with hundreds of new wood playfields. Been painting all my life since I was a kid, & my grandmother showed me. I also did painting at work for 25 years for the pools & steel railings. But go with the John does not know anything about anything, as you wish.
    Guided Avi on sanding, painting, & clear coats. All he needs is some more experience, & maybe cranky older guys can come off as dicks giving advice. But we are just trying to guide him from our many years of experience.

GWJ, I wanted to think about this one for a while. I can tell you this. There are guys who have been painters for 30 years that, quite frankly, I wouldn't let paint my garage, let alone a dog house. There are guys that paint on the side that do a spectacular job, but don't want to do it full time and are hard as hell to hire. It's like body work on a car. You can take the same car with the same damages to 3 different body shops and I guarantee you will get three different degrees of finishes all due to processes, materials and craftsmanship.

I never said you didn't know what you were doing, but processes and craftsmanship are all subjective and judged by the eye of the beholder. What passes as good enough for you just might not be the same for everyone else.

If it were my cabinet? I would fix the damages, sand it up, primer it, sand it again and then hit it with Rustoleum Turbo Spray in Satin Black. I think they come out beautiful this way without a need for clearcoats.

My Grandmother taught me how to cook, not how to paint.

You know what you are doing, it's the GWJ way.

#8554 1 year ago

Yes just like I did not know how to do hundreds of playfields. Guess around 5% Anal bastards that you would be lucky to get a passing grade with. Either not happy with the shades of a color or other shit that happens to manufacturing playfields. Clear coats & ink are other ones people love to complain about.
    As for the whitewood, I ordered the wrong facing Jersey Jack top mounting fixed targets. I drilled one apart, if anyone knows the correct size rivet replacement please let me know. Likely going home after only 1 beer today. Maybe Avi will come in & work on his vid. Even the carpenter came in & said the bad side is not that bad! Have to be another anal guy nit picking a old trashed cabinet that got some fixing done. Much better than missing chunks of wood that a wife would question about.

#8555 1 year ago

When it comes to the sides of arcade games, just put another game next to it. Big picture, it really doesn’t matter to most once it’s placed in the home.

Cheers.

#8556 1 year ago

Maybe Avi will come in & work on his vid. Even the carpenter came in & said the bad side is not that bad!.

I'm sorry for the rather mild amount of distaste you're getting on on my behalf. It's raining tomorrow but i'll try to swing by the workshop.

Quoted from vdojaq:

What passes as good enough for you just might not be the same for everyone else.
    If it were my cabinet? I would fix the damages.

This is what i was trying to portray in one of my post. But i don't blame anyone and i certainly don't get the attitude towards GWJ. Personally i feel like your suggestion of Rustoleum was probably the right way to go from the beginning..

Quoted from Roostking:

Nor does he seem depressed.

I'm not going to get into a post about 'the top 10 reasons why I'm depressed and you're wrong' only for it to turn into a back and forth about a discussion if someone in my position can or cannot be depressed. but i will say aside from the fact that i admitted myself personally that i was a little depressed with way somethings turned out. it's very foolish to assume based on one's perception of a person if they're depressed or not. again i'm not trying to pick a fight or claim victim. it was more of just a 'in general' type post.

#8557 1 year ago
    Quoted from cliff_clavin:

When it comes to the sides of arcade games, just put another game next to it. Big picture, it really doesn’t matter to most once it’s placed in the home.
    Cheers.

Side art is overrated. Is the picture good, do the controls work well ? All that matters to most customers.

#8558 1 year ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

That is being generous as most Canadian beer is 6 to 8% alcohol by volume.
    [quoted image]

Lol, no they arent, almost all the common/popular beers here are 5% give or take a half a percentage or so.

#8559 1 year ago
    Quoted from AviRoo:

I'm sorry for the rather mild amount of distaste you're getting on on my behalf. It's raining tomorrow but i'll try to swing by the workshop.

This is what i was trying to portray in one of my post. But i don't blame anyone and i certainly don't get the attitude towards GWJ. Personally i feel like your suggestion of Rustoleum was probably the right way to go from the beginning..

I'm not going to get into a post about 'the top 10 reasons why I'm depressed and you're wrong' only for it to turn into a back and forth about a discussion if someone in my position can or cannot be depressed. but i will say aside from the fact that i admitted myself personally that i was a little depressed with way somethings turned out. it's very foolish to assume based on one's perception of a person if they're depressed or not. again i'm not trying to pick a fight or claim victim. it was more of just a 'in general' type post.

I'm sorry, maybe my post didn't come across correctly, but you're right no one should be judging someone's "depression" over a post on a pinball forum that's for d*** sure. Keep up the good work!

GWJ is making some pretty good progress too!!! Coming together...

#8561 1 year ago

Ended up going to the local bar & having 6 beers. Only a few of us there & the owner & bartender. Wasted $15 over the time nickel betting on all the vlt games. Met another guy that lost interest in college with electrical engineering, but interested in electronics. My door is always open. My brother called from Texas, cold there, & just above freezing here now. Beer count today was 7.

#8562 1 year ago
    Quoted from AviRoo:I'm not going to get into a post about 'the top 10 reasons why I'm depressed and you're wrong' only for it to turn into a back and forth about a discussion if someone in my position can or cannot be depressed. but i will say aside from the fact that i admitted myself personally that i was a little depressed with way somethings turned out. it's very foolish to assume based on one's perception of a person if they're depressed or not. again i'm not trying to pick a fight or claim victim. it was more of just a 'in general' type post.

I am sorry you are suffering this, I know a lot of people that battle with depression and it is a real struggle.

I will leave you with one basic point of advice.
    Happiness is a choice and not a right or a default state of being.
    You have to constantly make the choice to be happy and seek out happiness - it's a decision you need to wake up every day and make

#8563 1 year ago

Avi is here to work on his vid. Bus ride #2 for him. I have to bus it to Home Depot. See what they got for the individual targets, to get the mounting plate backside. My drill bit of choice for most drilling. Back this afternoon.

IMG_0196 (resized).JPGIMG_0196 (resized).JPGIMG_0197 (resized).JPGIMG_0197 (resized).JPG
    #8564 1 year ago
    Quoted from AviRoo:

Personally i feel like your suggestion of Rustoleum was probably the right way to go from the beginning..

The Rustoleum TURBO spray cans are fantastic.

#8565 1 year ago
    Quoted from RJW:

Lol, no they arent, almost all the common/popular beers here are 5% give or take a half a percentage or so.

Your Canadian beers still taste better! A Labatt's brewed here in America sucks compared to the real deal.

#8566 1 year ago

With all the subtle changes on the playfield with posts and lanes, making plastics is going to be fun because you can throw the original drawing dimensions out the window at this point.

#8567 1 year ago
    Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

I am sorry you are suffering this, I know a lot of people that battle with depression and it is a real struggle.
    You have to constantly make the choice to be happy and seek out happiness - it's a decision you need to wake up every day and make

I don't want to keep beating a dead horse but I just want to say that these couple of sentences are so powerful and true. I was depressed for a long time, at one point I made the decision to change a lot of my outlooks on life and rather than focus on the negative, try and build on the good. My life has improved drastically ever since then and my mental health is at an all time high. At first it seems harder than it really is, but it truly is a godsend once you can refocus yourself! Best of luck to you, Avi, I think you're doing great so far.

#8568 1 year ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

With all the subtle changes on the playfield with posts and lanes, making plastics is going to be fun because you can throw the original drawing dimensions out the window at this point.

I've been wondering how these changes are going to make it back into the digital design, so it could be cut on a CNC machine.

#8569 1 year ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

I've been wondering how these changes are going to make it back into the digital design, so it could be cut on a CNC machine.

they're not lol

we've all wondered this stuff the whole time. I think at some point John will just throw in the towel reveal the plan where this is the final version

#8570 1 year ago

Not having that full scale plan laminated or tacked in place is one of the more baffling choices to date. Having a literal paint by numbers starting point to fine tune is huge.

I would think that a professional designer would know EXACTLY what geometry is best for a given situation and the final tweaks would be minor.But as I pointed out earlier star posts being up to a half inch off in one of the most crucial areas of a pinball playfield has to be huge.

Obviously once it gets to a flipping whitewood things might come to light but again maybe not. How on earth can you accurately play test on a pair of sawhorses and no cabinet? Maybe a couple video game joysticks like Demo Man sticking out of the plywood would be a good start.

That would be the ultimate trailer trash pinball sawhorse legs and no box…

#8571 1 year ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Nothing is going to match up

#8572 1 year ago

I know you mean well. Trust me, I did not choose my 5 years of severe depression and suicidal thoughts. I'm on the other side of it thankfully, but advice like yours may be among the worst I could have heard during that time. There's a gulf between "I'm unhappy with my life choices" depression and "every waking moment is torture" depression. Brains are complicated. Awesome if your outlook has helped you, but we're not all built the same. I survived that bout of depression, I certainly didn't conquer it.

#8573 1 year ago
    Quoted from roffels:

I know you mean well. Trust me, I did not choose my 5 years of severe depression and suicidal thoughts. I'm on the other side of it thankfully, but advice like yours may be among the worst I could have heard during that time. There's a gulf between "I'm unhappy with my life choices" depression and "every waking moment is torture" depression. Brains are complicated. Awesome if your outlook has helped you, but we're not all built the same. I survived that bout of depression, I certainly didn't conquer it.

understood .... was not implying that anyone depressed was at fault, my apologies if it came off that way
    was trying to say it takes will, determination and a lot of active hard work to pull yourself out - it's usually just not something that heals on it's own

#8574 1 year ago

understood .... was not implying that anyone depressed was at fault, my apologies if it came off that way
    was trying to say it takes will, determination and a lot of active hard work to pull yourself out - it's usually just not something that heals on it's own

I don't think that was what he was implying. I think the truth of what he is saying is yes, it is a choice to be happy and find things that make you happy. The real issue is when your own mind blocks you from making such choices. That is the reality of depression.

#8575 1 year ago

I’m depressed every time I see 20 new posts just to find out only one of them is actually about pinball…

#8576 1 year ago
    Quoted from LORDDREK:

I’m depressed every time I see 20 new posts just to find out only one of them is actually about pinball…

then you are in the wrong thread

#8577 1 year ago
    Quoted from LORDDREK:

To be fair - questionable food choices, beer, updates on the contentness of John's wife, and the occasional pinball update are the bread and butter of this thread. We get pretty regular updates for one or more of these. Avi is a welcome new addition as well.

#8578 1 year ago

Home Depot stuff did not work out. Lucky for me I think I have enough old single target brackets to use. The angle of those Jersey Jack ones are funky. Some of Jon Norris base will be ok for cnc, with all the other changes I am up to.

IMG_0198 (resized).JPGIMG_0198 (resized).JPGIMG_0199 (resized).JPGIMG_0199 (resized).JPG
    #8579 1 year ago

Instead of CASH/MONEY targets just leave those drop decals on. It will save you precious time, and you can also teach good financial habits to players (CASH/SAVED)

#8580 1 year ago

See how long the targets survive during testing.

#8581 1 year ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

I don't think that was what he was implying. I think the truth of what he is saying is yes, it is a choice to be happy and find things that make you happy. The real issue is when your own mind blocks you from making such choices. That is the reality of depression.

Agreed. I have known two colleagues that have lost their battle with depression. The interesting thing is that there were only a few people that even knew that they suffered from depression. I wasn't one of them so it was a shock when they ended up taking their own life. However, after the fact, it came out that there were a select few that knew about their long time battles. Moral to the story, some times the worst depressions sufferers don't seem depressed to the majority.

#8582 1 year ago

Aside from the fact i feel a little under the weather (probably from starving myself) Today went pretty well. Got the lighting done for the marquee. Cut out a template for a metal control panel.. cleaned up a little and helped john with his pinball playfield very briefly. it's turning into a hodgepodge. was tempted to suggest putting upside-down flippers somewhere and wire them to the regular ones. but that'd be too crowded and probably a mindfuck for people.

#8583 1 year ago
    Quoted from AviRoo:

Aside from the fact i feel a little under the weather (probably from starving myself) Today went pretty well. Got the lighting done for the marquee. Cut out a template for a metal control panel.. cleaned up a little and helped john with his pinball playfield very briefly. it's turning into a hodgepodge. was tempted to suggest putting upside-down flippers somewhere and wire them to the regular ones. but that'd be too crowded and probably a mindfuck for people.

i have rolled out a few cabinets myself. i use a foam roller and mix 30-40% floetrol in the paint. that helps it lay out really flat. in a pinch i have used 20% windshield washer fluid also. when i do a recap i completely strip the chassis, soak every thing, tube, chassis,board in simple green and put the hose to it. while it is still wet i then spray everything down with 99% iso alcohol ( stinks like hell , do that outside) the iso displaces the water and dries with no residue. i will let the yoke sit in room temp for minimum one week prior to juicing the monitor for the first time.

#8584 1 year ago
    Quoted from AviRoo:

cleaned up a little and helped john with his pinball playfield very briefly. it's turning into a hodgepodge.

LMFAO, this is coming from the apprentice!

Avi, I like you better and better everyday!

#8585 1 year ago
    Quoted from AviRoo:

Aside from the fact i feel a little under the weather (probably from starving myself)

Listen, if you have an iron stomach, John can show you the ropes on eating cheap! By the way, do you like gray ham and funeral sandwiches?

#8586 1 year ago
    Quoted from ls1chris:

when i do a recap i completely strip the chassis, soak every thing, tube, chassis,board in simple green and put the hose to it. while it is still wet i then spray everything down with 99% iso alcohol

You know something the monitor actually wasn't that dirty.... Could it be cleaner? 100%. but i'll probably just hit it with the air compressor and maybe windex on the glass and call it a day. It turned on fine and stuff when it was put together. Just waiting for the cap-kit in hopes to fix that vertical sync issue...

Quoted from vdojaq:

Listen, if you have an iron stomach, John can show you the ropes on eating cheap! By the way, do you like gray ham and funeral sandwiches?

You know something i can't eat most food without gagging like hell and throwing up. Couldn't tell you why it's not as though i do so on purpose but i've been like that since i was a child. that's probably why I'm fat come to think of it. No clue what 'gray ham' and 'funeral sandwich' is. i'm basic. i just eat cereal or peanutbutter/nutella. and that's if i even eat breakfast. most the time i only eat dinner each day.

#8587 1 year ago
    Quoted from AviRoo:

You know something the monitor actually wasn't that dirty.... Could it be cleaner? 100%. but i'll probably just hit it with the air compressor and maybe windex on the glass and call it a day. It turned on fine and stuff when it was put together. Just waiting for the cap-kit in hopes to fix that vertical sync issue...

if caps dont fix it look to the pots ( potentiometers ) i have swapped out as many of those as i have caps. wg6100 & amplifones are notorious for frying pots. i spent weeks going through a sanyo chassis once, ( was in a DK i think it was a sanyo) and after weeks of dicking around and swappping many parts it ended up being the pot for the B+ adjustment.

#8588 1 year ago
    Quoted from ls1chris:

if caps dont fix it look to the pots ( potentiometers ) i have swapped out as many of those as i have caps. wg6100 & amplifones are notorious for frying pots. i spent weeks going through a sanyo chassis once, ( was in a DK i think it was a sanyo) and after weeks of dicking around and swappping many parts it ended up being the pot for the B+ adjustment.

Will do- Thank you very much! It's a Wells Gardner 19k7901... If the CRT doesn't end up getting fixed much to my disappointment i'll probaly end up just putting in a flatscreen into the cabinet. or maybe i'll figure out a way to get horizontal.

#8589 1 year ago

Funeral sandwich tray hardly is discounted or I have other discount meals available. Only 1 beer today, & I went home after Avi. Using a mix of used target brackets.

#8590 1 year ago
    Quoted from AviRoo:

No clue what 'gray ham' and 'funeral sandwich' is.

(The royal) we have been neglecting our duties to the community and greater world. Whoever has the proper permissions needs to get work asap key posting this thread.

#8591 1 year ago
    Quoted from roffels:

Yea I really wish we could be done with diagnosing each other.

There is a previous 150+ pages of it, we dont need more.

#8592 1 year ago
    Quoted from AviRoo:

You know something i can't eat most food without gagging like hell and throwing up. Couldn't tell you why it's not as though i do so on purpose but i've been like that since i was a child. that's probably why I'm fat come to think of it. No clue what 'gray ham' and 'funeral sandwich' is. i'm basic. i just eat cereal or peanutbutter/nutella. and that's if i even eat breakfast. most the time i only eat dinner each day.

Have you thought about a crock pot?

#8593 1 year ago

Funeral sandwich tray hardly is discounted or I have other discount meals available. Only 1 beer today, & I went home after Avi. Using a mix of used target brackets.

You have to crash a funeral reception to get the free lunch.

#8594 1 year ago
    Quoted from AviRoo:

Will do- Thank you very much! It's a Wells Gardner 19k7901... If the CRT doesn't end up getting fixed much to my disappointment i'll probaly end up just putting in a flatscreen into the cabinet. or maybe i'll figure out a way to get horizontal.

Do you have some hints to get started on my monitor? I have a Ivan Stewart Off Road and the monitor works, but its "off". Would you be able to describe where i cam find even the top.

#8595 1 year ago
    Quoted from Roostking:

Do you have some hints to get started on my monitor? I have a Ivan Stewart Off Road and the monitor works, but its "off". Would you be able to describe where i cam find even the top.

Can you stay on topic here. The last thing we want is.... Oh yeah... Nevermind.

#8596 1 year ago
    Quoted from Roostking:

Have you thought about a crock pot?

I've thought about Crack/pot. there's a guy that walks around by the workshop that looks like he's on it all the time so i'm sure he'd know where to get it lol.
    Can't say i've ever used or thought about crock-pots before. Pressure cookers though are wicked.

Quoted from Roostking:

I'm unsure if this is meant in a jesting manor but if it isn't you're free to send me a PM. but i'm in no way a monitor repairsmen.

#8597 1 year ago
    Quoted from pinballinreno:

You have to crash a funeral reception to get the free lunch.

I hear its great food. People are dying for it.

*groan laugh*

#8598 1 year ago

Does anyone want to make any bets on whether we have a working white wood in 13 days?

#8599 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

I hear its great food. People are dying for it.
    *groan laugh*

But is it good enough to WAKE the dead?

#8600 1 year ago

Had a serious crack head older guy on the bus on Tuesday. Going on about crack & coughing bad. So I moved a few seats away. Have not seen the hookers on the street, but it is getting colder here. No deals on the plate of funeral sandwiches. Stocked up on Bob's Bacon down to just over $2 a pack (4), yogurt, old cheddar cheese, & mini tubs of dip for my cheap monster bag of potato chip crumbs. Shop is quiet, Avi is home until his parts arrive. Get some more stuff on to the playfield. Had 1/2 a pack of bacon, & used my wooden sticks from cotton swabs. The packs are on sale again, but we got lots at the shop.

IMG_0202 (resized).JPGIMG_0202 (resized).JPGIMG_0203 (resized).JPGIMG_0203 (resized).JPG
    There are 10,636 posts in this topic. You are on page 172 of 213.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/moby-dick-let-s-talk-whales-and-whale-watching/page/172?hl=rezdog and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.