Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 10,636 posts
  • 267 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by BeachPickle
  • Topic is favorited by 72 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Trailer Trash-the Pin. The GWJ Chronicles”

• John finds the big whale and makes 1 "super LE CE Bling" Trailer Park Boys pin 17 votes
      11%
    • John finds 10 small whales and makes 10 "pro style homebrew type" Trailer Park Boys pins 11 votes
      7%
    • John buys an aquarium to pass the time until his dreams are realized 128 votes
      82%

(156 votes)

This poll has been closed.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

closed.gif
    EBC73878-BC53-4200-A2B6-C2F2E0527AAC (resized).jpeg
    F982508F-9554-4C5F-B499-531394F6F6C6 (resized).jpeg
    4E248FC9-0974-462E-9242-503735D9F3F4 (resized).jpeg
    2D3AED4E-728C-423B-AA1A-BC65047C5B9A.gif
    OTR.gif
    IMG_0355 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0363 (resized).JPG
    popcorns.gif
    IMG_0360 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0362 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0359 (resized).JPG
    worlds_worst_coach_trucker_hat-rcabf536f37e04dbc8095021b9983cf42_eahwj_8byvr_630 (resized).jpg
    7B29A5B0-680F-4306-A606-5CB78CED39B3_4_5005_c (resized).jpeg
    34C7A3AA-F74D-481F-8084-39C43A1199C7 (resized).jpeg
    93BD3918-24E8-44BF-A93F-1AB39CB7D00D (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

9 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

This topic is closed.

There are 10,636 posts in this topic. You are on page 17 of 213.
    #801 1 year ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Shouldn’t worry about how other people spend their cheese right?
    It’s all relative.
    Bitcoin, TS4 or anything else. When you live a perfect Pillar of virtue life I guess it’s easy to criticize others?

Rich criticism coming from the Iceman, but nothing like some irony in the morning. If people make reckless decisions they should expect the possibility of painful outcomes. People literally gave up their coins to Celsius and now they’re F’ed. Similar to ppl who gave Deeproot money, play stupid games win stupid prizes. The silver lining is hopefully communities become smarter in the future. But perhaps you’d like to cheerlead this preorder as well? Keep that track record going.

#802 1 year ago
    Quoted from greatwichjohn:

Back at the workshop, & likely I have 5 people in the mini whale group. The maximum is 10, & I would prefer only 3. 11 days left to join the pod, or maybe the Big Whale comes through before August 1 deadline. David Fix knows what the title is & what I am working on. It is not some Top Secret item, & he was told first at Pintastic Show on Sunday morning before he left. He has more on his mind then thinking about my build by March 2023 for Texas.

John would prefer 3 vs 10? Wouldn't that only generate $30,000 in revenue rather than the "necessary" $100,000? Even if the mini's have less bling, development, art and programming costs are still fixed.

#803 1 year ago
    Quoted from Beechwood:

The three top cast members of TPB net worth are $2 million, $2.5 million, and $3 Million. They aren't even whales themselves. Hell, I bet over half of Pinside is worth more than that.

Those amounts sound somewhat low given all they have accomplished. I suspect they are worth considerably more.

#804 1 year ago
    Quoted from cliff_clavin:

John would prefer 3 vs 10? Wouldn't that only generate $30,000 in revenue rather than the "necessary" $100,000? Even if the mini's have less bling, development and programming costs are still fixed.

The less I have to build the better, but the limit is a fixed maximum of 10 prototype pinball machines for Texas 2023 in March. Or 1 rich whale could surface & bite in at the last minute. Need the countdown clock posted up.

#806 1 year ago

Busy day crank call #2 from Los Angeles Metropolitan. If that is my favorite fan here, try to act more convincing. You guys trying to disguise your voice is stupid. I do not remember a bunch of guys voices from past shows. PS: the 2 so far have their number visible!

Also here is a video of a few of the many playfields that I had cnc cut for Seawitch & Star Gazer in 2020. Inserts installed before I sold my business to Fantastic Pinball (Greg Walker). The agreement was the final prepaid guys remaining on the Seawitch list would get their playfields. So even when I hit very rough times I made sure there was a exit plan in place. Greg is a true friend & you can probably guess who I would use for playfields in the future.

#807 1 year ago

So a big whale gets a proto for 100k but 10 mini whales get a proto for just 10k each?
    If I was the big whale to dive in I would expect 10 protos and no less!

#808 1 year ago

Busy day crank call #2 from Los Angeles Metropolitan. If that is my favorite fan here, try to act more convincing. You guys trying to disguise your voice is stupid. I do not remember a bunch of guys voices from past shows. PS: the 2 so far have their number visible!

How hilarious would it be if one of them was David Fix.

#809 1 year ago
    Quoted from cliff_clavin:

John would prefer 3 vs 10? Wouldn't that only generate $30,000 in revenue rather than the "necessary" $100,000? Even if the mini's have less bling, development, art and programming costs are still fixed.

Trifling details. Why bother with those ? Don't you see the grand vision of John here ? Don't you know its all figured out in his head ? And don't ya know whatever he produces with this $30K or $100K or whatever will be solid gold, gold I tell ya ? And his customers (the aforementioned fools) will upon receipt sing his praises for such a wonderful game. Contracts, specifications, deliverables, those are such antiquated terms. Project management and budgeting is so passe. Who needs those when you have dreams waiting to be fulfilled for those who will believe on a handshake and a cleared check alone.

#810 1 year ago

You guys trying to disguise your voice is stupid.

Would you prefer, perhaps, whale song?

#811 1 year ago

Friendly reminder to all readers that while many of us are expressing doubts about this project's feasibility, messing with people with crank phone calls crosses the line into harassment. If it's anyone from here, I would advise ceasing that.

(That said, as a fan of Kitboga and Jim Browning, crank phone calls to actual scammers who knowingly cause harm is 100% A-okay.)

#812 1 year ago
    Quoted from pookycade:

Trifling details. Why bother with those ? Don't you see the grand vision of John here ? Don't you know its all figured out in his head ? And don't ya know whatever he produces with this $30K or $100K or whatever will be solid gold, gold I tell ya ? And his customers (the aforementioned fools) will upon receipt sing his praises for such a wonderful game. Contracts, specifications, deliverables, those are such antiquated terms. Project management and budgeting is so passe. Who needs those when you have dreams waiting to be fulfilled for those who will believe on a handshake and a cleared check alone.

You forgot the plan is to have the big reveal for SXSW & TPF. The guys with low expectations here will see the result in March 2023 in Texas.

Also want to mention that it was me who ordered special yellow Stern classic arrows for Seawitch, & CPR got 700 of the 1000 for their production. The 3/4" & 1" trans blue were not available from any vendor. Thanks to Northern Precision Plastics in the past for being a contract manufacturer in the past for pinball production. https://www.northernprecisionplastics.com/

#813 1 year ago

There are a lot of pessimistic people here. Let's get this done.

#814 1 year ago

Back at the workshop, & likely I have 5 people in the mini whale group. The maximum is 10, & I would prefer only 3. 11 days left to join the pod

I was about to give you guff for "group" until seeing you later then use the proper "pod" ("gam" and "school" are also acceptable).

#815 1 year ago

Busy day crank call #2 from Los Angeles Metropolitan. If that is my favorite fan here, try to act more convincing. You guys trying to disguise your voice is stupid. .

Seriously, are there 12 year old kids in this thread?
    Regardless of John's delusional aspirations, behavior like this is just as absurd and childish.

#816 1 year ago

The less I have to build the better, but the limit is a fixed maximum of 10 prototype pinball machines for Texas 2023 in March. Or 1 rich whale could surface & bite in at the last minute. Need the countdown clock posted up.

So now you've gone from 1 "whale machine" for 100k to 10 "mini whale machines" for 10k each? Oh and all still by TPF 2023 because that's totally feasible.

Jesus titty fucking christ your business plan gets dumber by the day. Is this some sort of Andy Kaufman-esque prank?

#817 1 year ago

Can the big whale decide to split his order into 10 mini whales and get 10 machines instead of 1? No bling but much more hardware for the same price.

#818 1 year ago

As the thread turns. Sorry John but this is a train wreck in every way!

Please end this madness and go play some fun pinball

#819 1 year ago
    Quoted from homebrood:

They said Galileo was crazy, and well...

Galileo only needed an apple. Not $100K or a whale to get it.

LTG : )

#820 1 year ago
    Quoted from clempo:

Can the big whale decide to split his order into 10 mini whales and get 10 machines instead of 1? No bling but much more hardware for the same price.

How about 100 micro whales?

#821 1 year ago
    Quoted from benheck:

So now you've gone from 1 "whale machine" for 100k to 10 "mini whale machines" for 10k each? Oh and all still by TPF 2023 because that's totally feasible.
    Jesus titty fucking christ your business plan gets dumber by the day. Is this some sort of Andy Kaufman-esque prank?

Or 3. He would prefer 3. Try to keep up, Ben.

#822 1 year ago

Or 1 Big Whale Investor for $100k US. Which would get retired professional help from pinball past for design & art. Times are tough with inflation lately.

#823 1 year ago

Keeping GWJ's reputation that he never let a customer down his whole life seems like a surefire way to go bankrupt if the money runs out on this project, oh wait...

#824 1 year ago

Is it possible, GWJ is just an AI Bot that became self-aware?

#825 1 year ago

Times are tough with inflation lately.

picard-facepalm (resized).jpgpicard-facepalm (resized).jpg
    #826 1 year ago

Is the TPF deadline because GWJ dreams he will be the winner of the American Pinball contest that promises to build a homebrew of their choice? For that, the machine would have to be present at the show, not at GWJ's brother's place.

#827 1 year ago
    Quoted from clempo:

Is the TPF deadline because GWJ dreams he will be the winner of the American Pinball contest that promises to build a homebrew of their choice? For that, the machine would have to be present at the show, not at GWJ's brother's place.

Don't forget his brothers place is a 5 minute drive to many different bars. Priorities.

#828 1 year ago
    Quoted from Beechwood:

Don't forget his brothers place is a 5 minute drive to many different bars. Priorities.

Maybe John thinks if he drinks as much as I do he will magically gain my abilities?

#829 1 year ago
    Quoted from benheck:

Maybe John thinks if he drinks as much as I do he will magically gain my abilities?

I don’t know anything about beer, but I bet I could start my own brewery before John can make a pinball machine. I’ll call it: W.H. Ale

#830 1 year ago

I am not taking any money until everything is ok with either The Trailer Boys owners or their agency that does licensing. This should be resolved very early in August when either the Big Whale is found, or Plan B with up to 10 mini whales at $10k US each. Like I said the mini whale list will likely be over flowing by the end of July!
    More details will follow in August. The crank calls are starting now, buddy I am not calling your wife in the middle of the night 774 area code which is MA.
    List: #1 USA, #2 Canada, #3 Canada

Let me get this straight? You are going to go and negotiate the rights for the TPB license with no money, only the backing of phantom investors? Then you are going to go and try an collect from each of your gift givers? Dude, you have ZERO chance. No need to keep everyone hanging until Aug. I can tell you the answer is NO right now.

#831 1 year ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

Let me get this straight? You are going to go and negotiate the rights for the TPB license with no money, only the backing of phantom investors? Then you are going to go and try an collect from each of your gift givers? Dude, you have ZERO chance. No need to keep everyone hanging until Aug. I can tell you the answer is NO right now.

I don't understand this reasoning. The IP holders can tell him the price is $XYZ then it's GWJ's problem to gather that amount of money before they change their mind. GWJ does not have to tell them he does not have the money in hand right this moment. What am I missing?

#832 1 year ago
    Quoted from Beechwood:

Is it possible, GWJ is just an AI Bot that became self-aware?

I don't know much...but I am absolutely certain there is zero self-awareness involved. AI or otherwise.

#833 1 year ago
    Quoted from clempo:

I don't understand this reasoning. The IP holders can tell him the price is $XYZ then it's GWJ's problem to gather that amount of money before they change their mind. GWJ does not have to tell them he does not have the money in hand right this moment. What am I missing?

To secure an IP you leave an immediate deposit of earnest money.

#834 1 year ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

To secure an IP you leave an immediate deposit of earnest money.

Hmmm.... Lets see... 5 cents for a beer can returnable multiply by 2,000,000 cans = $100,000
    I think that will do it.

FKKC2OOLOFAVRD7YBVKWVRCFCY (resized).jpgFKKC2OOLOFAVRD7YBVKWVRCFCY (resized).jpg
    #835 1 year ago
    Quoted from gjm:

Hmmm.... Lets see... 5 cents for a beer can returnable multiply by 2,000,000 cans = $100,000
    I think that will do it.[quoted image]

Where's the Labatt's and the Molson eh?

#836 1 year ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

Where's the Labatt's and the Molson eh?

He drank them first so they are at the bottom of the pile.

#837 1 year ago
    Quoted from gjm:

I think that will do it.[quoted image]

$0.10 in Michigan. Pull a Kramer, get 2 whales in return

#838 1 year ago

All this talk about Whales is giving Sea-Monkeys dork envy.

#839 1 year ago
    Quoted from benheck:

Ben everyone knows you are a real smart dude, & I am just your average guy who likes to have a few adult beverages. Already said it earlier, & no I do not want to wonder the streets looking for returnable deposits on cans for 5 cents.

#840 1 year ago
    8FDCCA7B-C3B8-4A02-862E-1FE7B6EA2E42 (resized).jpeg8FDCCA7B-C3B8-4A02-862E-1FE7B6EA2E42 (resized).jpeg
    #841 1 year ago
    Quoted from benheck:

You are underselling yourself Ben, its WAY more than just ability he needs:

1) You would build a prototype of said game pretty much YOURSELF from scratch on your own dime
    2) You would estimate and allocate appropriate time to do so.
    3) This prototype would actually work and be more than a box of lights with bad shots.
    4) You would have people play it and suggest further design refinements.
    5) You would conclude refinements and call up Spooky/CGC to manufacture.
    6) Spooky/CGC would finalize, spin it up and take real pre-orders.
    7) Spooky/CGC would roll the machine off the line and people would receive their machine and all would be right with the world.

And most importantly we would have some conception you would actually succeed because you've done it from A to Z multiple times.

#842 1 year ago

Pinball Manufacturing is Hard!

#843 1 year ago

Ben everyone knows you are a real smart dude, & I am just your average guy who likes to have a few adult beverages. Already said it earlier, & no I do not want to wonder the streets looking for returnable deposits on cans for 5 cents.

No one said you would have to wander the streets to find that many cans for 5 cents.

#844 1 year ago
    Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Rich criticism coming from the Iceman, but nothing like some irony in the morning. If people make reckless decisions they should expect the possibility of painful outcomes. People literally gave up their coins to Celsius and now they’re F’ed. Similar to ppl who gave Deeproot money, play stupid games win stupid prizes. The silver lining is hopefully communities become smarter in the future. But perhaps you’d like to cheerlead this preorder as well? Keep that track record going.

I am cheerleading it. Just like Deeproot.

People are free to make their own choices for whatever reasons and take responsibility for themselves.

I had written off Jpop $$ long ago. And when anyone makes a choice you have to accept the consequences. What’s the point?

Big deal, not the last mistake I’ll ever make either. And inconsequential.

I chose NOT to participate in Bitcoin except for a small Coinbase account. On and on.

I made the bigger mistake of not buying more Apple when it hit $130 and now it’s $153.

So yeah, I’m wrong a lot in hindsight

#845 1 year ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

I had written off Jpop $$ long ago. And when anyone makes a choice you have to accept the consequences. What’s the point?

Didn't you have money in a couple other pinball failures as well?

#846 1 year ago

Just like the Deeproot puzzle thread, John is putting out a puzzle to be solved.

You guys are working hard on it

#847 1 year ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

Didn't you have money in a couple other pinball failures as well?

Missed out on ShitB.

Lost $1k on Alien. But got an LE eventually.

But I’m happy with my big net gains in the value of my pins if you want to look at it that way. I don’t

I also don’t cheerlead for failure and mishaps and things that go wrong.

Shit happens. and the pinball HOBBY is fun, that’s all it is, not F ing life or death, my life success isn’t defined by it.

#848 1 year ago
    Quoted from homebrood:

John if this takes off instead of offering an LE you could make a Double Wide deluxe model!

A nice set of cinderblocks would really tie the pin together…

#849 1 year ago
    0C1BED1D-5DCF-4B06-95DF-069508B5AF03.gif0C1BED1D-5DCF-4B06-95DF-069508B5AF03.gif
    #850 1 year ago
    Quoted from pookycade:

You forgot the paper napkins, & yes I am old school of business deals. Trust goes a long way, & you soon find out who can get it done right.

There are 10,636 posts in this topic. You are on page 17 of 213.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/moby-dick-let-s-talk-whales-and-whale-watching/page/17 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.