Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 10,636 posts
  • 267 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by BeachPickle
  • Topic is favorited by 72 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Trailer Trash-the Pin. The GWJ Chronicles”

• John finds the big whale and makes 1 "super LE CE Bling" Trailer Park Boys pin 17 votes
      11%
    • John finds 10 small whales and makes 10 "pro style homebrew type" Trailer Park Boys pins 11 votes
      7%
    • John buys an aquarium to pass the time until his dreams are realized 128 votes
      82%

(156 votes)

This poll has been closed.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

closed.gif
    EBC73878-BC53-4200-A2B6-C2F2E0527AAC (resized).jpeg
    F982508F-9554-4C5F-B499-531394F6F6C6 (resized).jpeg
    4E248FC9-0974-462E-9242-503735D9F3F4 (resized).jpeg
    2D3AED4E-728C-423B-AA1A-BC65047C5B9A.gif
    OTR.gif
    IMG_0355 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0363 (resized).JPG
    popcorns.gif
    IMG_0360 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0362 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0359 (resized).JPG
    worlds_worst_coach_trucker_hat-rcabf536f37e04dbc8095021b9983cf42_eahwj_8byvr_630 (resized).jpg
    7B29A5B0-680F-4306-A606-5CB78CED39B3_4_5005_c (resized).jpeg
    34C7A3AA-F74D-481F-8084-39C43A1199C7 (resized).jpeg
    93BD3918-24E8-44BF-A93F-1AB39CB7D00D (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

9 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

This topic is closed.

There are 10,636 posts in this topic. You are on page 153 of 213.
    #7601 1 year ago
    Quoted from greatwichjohn:

Yes everything is going as planned. Only start to get concerned if things look bad by the end of the year (2 months left before Texas deadline). I try to avoid buying discount sausage product since it was likely frozen & thawed. Taste like shit if you repeat the cycle. Had cheap $1 mac & cheese for breakfast, with a Tims coffee (McD was closed for some reason).

frozen and thawed sausage must be really bad if thats where you draw the line in the sand flavorwise!

#7602 1 year ago

Glad the trough finally ended up the right direction though.

My son and daughter had their 14th birthday yesterday and we went to a place where my daughter got a grilled cheese with mac & cheese on it, and a side of mac & cheese. I immediately chuckled out loud thinking of you GWJ and had to explain the whole thing to my family.

#7603 1 year ago

Yes everything is going as planned.

#7604 1 year ago

Not sure it's part of the plan, but do you not think it will be easier to test your whitewood if it is actually playfield-sized? So you can put it in a cabinet.

#7605 1 year ago
    Quoted from dr_nybble:

Not sure it's part of the plan, but do you not think it will be easier to test your whitewood if it is actually playfield-sized? So you can put it in a cabinet.

No it does not need to be in a cabinet. Set it up on saw horses or other stuff, you can change the slope easily. Had the rest of salad, pack of dressing, & croutons + plus a good piece of mild pepperoni for lunch. Pop machine is chilled with beer bottles.

#7606 1 year ago

No it does not need to be in a cabinet. Set it up on saw horses or other stuff, you can change the slope easily. Had the rest of salad, pack of dressing, & croutons + plus a good piece of mild pepperoni for lunch. Pop machine is chilled with beer bottles.

That is going to be so awesome! Please take plenty of pictures…

#7607 1 year ago
    Quoted from LORDDREK:

That is going to be so awesome! Please take plenty of pictures…

Video also please!!!

#7608 1 year ago

Already have it on saw horses, now it is stored upright at the back of the shop. Cleaning up the shop & on my first Olands beer.

#7609 1 year ago

I love this thread. Hope, despair, beer, pepperoni...

#7610 1 year ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

I immediately chuckled out loud thinking of you GWJ and had to explain the whole thing to my family.

I assume you are on hour 2 of the 4 hour explanation...

#7611 1 year ago
    Quoted from Beechwood:

I assume you are on hour 2 of the 4 hour explanation...

They weren't nearly as interested as I am though they do understand the concept of homebrew. Spaceballs is one of the games I always have set up in the house and the second game is underway as a collab project with another homebrew friend.

#7613 1 year ago

I always thought that the breakfast of champions was cold pizza and warm beer.

#7614 1 year ago
    Quoted from zombywoof:

I always thought that the breakfast of champions was cold pizza and warm beer.

Its my go to after a hard night...

Buy 'em by the case at Costco for $18

#7615 1 year ago

Already have it on saw horses, now it is stored upright at the back of the shop. Cleaning up the shop & on my first Olands beer.

Just try not to knock it over, or drop it!

The whitewood or the beer!!

#7616 1 year ago

Good call, on Olands #2. Got both in play now. Cut out the pop bumpers on blue print, skill level still grade 2. Working out cutting plywood for auto plunger.

IMG_0101 (resized).JPGIMG_0101 (resized).JPGIMG_0102 (resized).JPGIMG_0102 (resized).JPG
    #7617 1 year ago

Good call, on Olands #2

Olands, Keiths, Labatt's all now owned by Labatt's? I think I read that somewhere...
    Anyway, always like Blue but never saw Oland's or Keith's here in the states.
    May have to see if I can find some!

#7618 1 year ago

Olands #3 got the bottom cut.

IMG_0103 (resized).JPGIMG_0103 (resized).JPGIMG_0104 (resized).JPGIMG_0104 (resized).JPG
    #7619 1 year ago

I feel like this picture could have been taken in the workshop/kitchen area.

__1d9b8b4e743657784b3b9b996e94cdbe_width-300 (resized).jpeg__1d9b8b4e743657784b3b9b996e94cdbe_width-300 (resized).jpeg

#7620 1 year ago

Olands beer #4. Going to try out pop bumper below right upper flipper, & going to try a scoop placement in the top back left of playfield. Make the game play harder with multi balls in play.

IMG_0105 (resized).JPGIMG_0105 (resized).JPGIMG_0106 (resized).JPGIMG_0106 (resized).JPG
    #7621 1 year ago

Love seeing the flurry of activity

I'm sorta whatever about the scoop in the top left corner idea.

The only way you get to it would be a strong shot up the right orbit spinner, which also takes you to a ball return lane with an up/down post for stopping the ball. So it seems a bit redundant to have two ways to stop the ball for the same shot.

#7622 1 year ago

Hopefully it works as a blocker during multiball. So balls going into up post lock lane are harder to load. Ball goes to scoop is fired back chocking out incoming balls.

#7623 1 year ago

Isn't the point of building the whitewood to test it before you start modifying Jon Norris's design?

#7624 1 year ago

I love my Jon Norris Stargate, its really well done.

One of my favorite games.

#7625 1 year ago
    Quoted from dr_nybble:

Isn't the point of building the whitewood to test it before you start modifying Jon Norris's design?

It remains a Jon Norris design with more shit added on.

#7626 1 year ago

Hopefully it works as a blocker during multiball. So balls going into up post lock lane are harder to load. Ball goes to scoop is fired back chocking out incoming balls.

Oh ok, now I understand the intention. Might be easier to add another up/down post to the ball return lane, and some more switches (the programmer will be thrilled with those extra switches later if you intend to lock balls in that lane)

If the top scoop in the left is kept, a fun challenge for the programmer would be to have the scoop stage a ball and kick it out when a ball is coming around the orbit, then they collide somewhere near the top of the arc, and then one goes down the left and the other down the right. It could be a neat visual after some software magic

#7627 1 year ago

It remains a Jon Norris design with more shit added on.

#7628 1 year ago

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#7629 1 year ago
    writethatdown.gifwritethatdown.gif
    #7630 1 year ago

Got a deal on a picnic pack, no tax, & $3 off. Meals for the day, already had the mac salad, roll, & some coleslaw. Pop machine is turned on. Had my piece with breadcrumbs or not, on the Deeproot thread.
    In the past I have stated that American Pinball should buy out Dutch Pinball, & get all those owed games (EA's) finished quickly. Would expand American Pinball, to be a even bigger player. As for Deeproot Pinball IP, another good source or base for games if they get it or work with who ever gets it. If Chris Turner gets it, do a deal with him & he can avoid all the pitfalls with manufacturing pinball machines.

IMG_0108 (resized).JPGIMG_0108 (resized).JPG
    #7631 1 year ago

Got a deal on a picnic pack, no tax, & $3 off. Meals for the day, already had the mac salad, roll, & some coleslaw. Pop machine is turned on. Had my piece with breadcrumbs or not, on the Deeproot thread.
    In the past I have stated that American Pinball should buy out Dutch Pinball, & get all those owed games (EA's) finished quickly. Would expand American Pinball, to be a even bigger player. As for Deeproot Pinball IP, another good source or base for games if they get it or work with who ever gets it. If Chris Turner gets it, do a deal with him & he can avoid all the pitfalls with manufacturing pinball machines.
    [quoted image]

Unfortunately this thread pretty much undermines any argument that you might have once had some level of expertise to advise on major moves to be made in the pinball world by outside manufacturers. Stick to your whitewood, you’ve already got enough on your plate - literally serving double duty for now as both a whitewood and a food plate apparently.

#7632 1 year ago
    Quoted from pookycade:

Unfortunately this thread pretty much undermines any argument that you might have once had some level of expertise to advise on major moves to be made in the pinball world by outside manufacturers. Stick to your whitewood, you’ve already got enough on your plate - literally serving double duty for now as both a whitewood and a food plate apparently.

Always on standby for those in the business. Good advice or not, they can decide for themselves.

#7633 1 year ago
    Quoted from pookycade:

I disagree. This thread is about outrageous and differing opinions on everything from MDF to dead hookers.

Carry on!

#7634 1 year ago

Always on standby for those in the business. Good advice or not, they can decide for themselves.

John, I say this delicately but very directly: this thread is not a good advertisement for you to get a job with a pinball company.

#7635 1 year ago
    Quoted from DBLM:

John, I say this delicately but very directly: this thread is not a good advertisement for you to get a job with a pinball company.

Honestly, I don't think that is what John meant. I firmly believe he means he is on stand by for anyone in the business that wants to talk and hear advice. Just Like David Fix and Jersey Jack and........

#7636 1 year ago
    Quoted from DBLM:

Do not want a job with a company unless I can work part time remotely. Got enough on my plate here. On my way to set up 4 Stern Pins for our big local Halcon Show. https://hal-con.com/guest-list

#7637 1 year ago

This thread is about the once to be most expensive home brew game ever built then got cut to 1/10 that but certainly a home brew and I don’t recall any of the professional designers at Williams ever frying hotdogs on their Whitewood prototypes!

#7638 1 year ago

Do not want a job with a company unless I can work part time remotely

Hey, a man can dream, can't he?

#7639 1 year ago

"Got enough on my" (hot) " plate here."

Fixed

#7640 1 year ago

Work part-time, drink full-time

#7641 1 year ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

Work part-time, drink full-time

That's what retirement is all about!

#7642 1 year ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

That's what retirement is all about!

It's how my dad gained 70 pounds in two years

#7643 1 year ago
    Quoted from DBLM:

He went looking for a whale, or between 1 and 10 mini whales. He found 1 mini, so seems he knows how to drum up his own pinball business. Seems quite successful thus far!

#7644 1 year ago
    Quoted from Roostking:

He went looking for a whale, or between 1 and 10 mini whales. He found 1 mini, so seems he knows how to drum up his own pinball business. Seems quite successful thus far!

Not what I am talking about. There is a difference between GWJ doing his own thing and getting Ice to fund it vs David Fix or George Gomez or anybody else looking at this thread and saying "You know, that GWJ guy really knows his stuff and can execute with urgency. We should hire him part time or reach out to him for advice!"

#7645 1 year ago

John what is your tool of choice for cutting out the paper parts of the blueprint, like around the pop bumpers and whatnot

#7646 1 year ago

Got enough on my" (Hot Plate) " here

John does not have a hot plate, he only has the "electric grill" from his dead mother...
    Going to stick with that or not or until it dies!

#7647 1 year ago

[quoted image]

That "meal" looks horrible. I'd stick with the pepperoni sticks and hot dogs. At least they have preservatives.

#7648 1 year ago
    Quoted from homebrood:

Got enough on my" (Hot Plate) " here
    John does not have a hot plate, he only has the "electric grill" from his dead mother...
    Going to stick with that or not or until it dies!

I was thinking we should have gone with "picnic plate"

The best part is the label said chicken and then somebody crossed it out and wrote in pen "rib"

#7649 1 year ago
    Quoted from Haymaker:

I was thinking we should have gone with "picnic plate"
    The best part is the label said chicken and then somebody crossed it out and wrote in pen "rib"

Definitely a set of tasty ribs there! Not chicken. The edit was correct.

#7650 1 year ago
    Quoted from pinballinreno:

Definitely a set of tasty ribs there! Not chicken. The edit was correct.

I thought it looked more like chicken but looking closer I can't really tell if it's Chicken or Ribs or Chicken Ribs!

I think they should have labeled it 'Mystery Meat' Plate!

There are 10,636 posts in this topic. You are on page 153 of 213.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/moby-dick-let-s-talk-whales-and-whale-watching/page/153 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.