Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 10,636 posts
  • 267 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by BeachPickle
  • Topic is favorited by 72 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Trailer Trash-the Pin. The GWJ Chronicles”

• John finds the big whale and makes 1 "super LE CE Bling" Trailer Park Boys pin 17 votes
      11%
    • John finds 10 small whales and makes 10 "pro style homebrew type" Trailer Park Boys pins 11 votes
      7%
    • John buys an aquarium to pass the time until his dreams are realized 128 votes
      82%

(156 votes)

This poll has been closed.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

closed.gif
    EBC73878-BC53-4200-A2B6-C2F2E0527AAC (resized).jpeg
    F982508F-9554-4C5F-B499-531394F6F6C6 (resized).jpeg
    4E248FC9-0974-462E-9242-503735D9F3F4 (resized).jpeg
    2D3AED4E-728C-423B-AA1A-BC65047C5B9A.gif
    OTR.gif
    IMG_0355 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0363 (resized).JPG
    popcorns.gif
    IMG_0360 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0362 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0359 (resized).JPG
    worlds_worst_coach_trucker_hat-rcabf536f37e04dbc8095021b9983cf42_eahwj_8byvr_630 (resized).jpg
    7B29A5B0-680F-4306-A606-5CB78CED39B3_4_5005_c (resized).jpeg
    34C7A3AA-F74D-481F-8084-39C43A1199C7 (resized).jpeg
    93BD3918-24E8-44BF-A93F-1AB39CB7D00D (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

9 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

This topic is closed.

There are 10,636 posts in this topic. You are on page 152 of 213.
    #7551 1 year ago
    Quoted from greatwichjohn:

This bar has railroad tracks near the back patio, watch the smokers, or look for deer in the city. Also has a dog grooming service next door, watch the dogs & usually the female owners. Some dogs like to be groomed, & others put up a fight.

#greatwichquote

#7552 1 year ago

John, you mention Sobeys a good amount. Would you provide your rankings of and thoughts regarding Canada's major homegrown retailers? Loblaws, Sobeys, Metro, Save-On, and Longos come to mind.

#7553 1 year ago

I would think GWJ would frequent Walmart for saving. That crap he buys at Sobeys on clearance is more expensive than fresh stuff at Wally world.

But I guess creatures of habit will do what they will do.

#7554 1 year ago
    Quoted from Beechwood:

I would think GWJ would frequent Walmart for saving. That crap he buys at Sobeys on clearance is more expensive than fresh stuff at Wally world.
    But I guess creatures of habit will do what they will do.

Did you apply the exchange rate before comparing? The stuff he buys is so cheap, you would have to apply for food assistance or go dumpster diving to beat it.

#7555 1 year ago
    Quoted from cliff_clavin:

Do you ever eat with your missus? I guess whatever works works.

Shes not much for workshop floor seasoned pepperoni, 5 second rule be damned OrNot.

Im generally good with 3 seconds, but truth be told, Ive probably hit that 5 sec. mark.

#7556 1 year ago

I never understood the 5-sec rule. I think it has more to do with not giving time for mom to see it than anything related to germs.

#7557 1 year ago
    Quoted from clempo:

I never understood the 5-sec rule. I think it has more to do with not giving time for mom to see it than anything related to germs.

Technically, until tonight, I've only heard and lived by the 3 sec rule. If it were anyone else I would have corrected them and said it's the 3 second rule, not the 5 second rule, but given this thread I knew that GWJ lives life 5 seconds at a time.

#7558 1 year ago
    Quoted from Roostking:

Technically, until tonight, I've only heard and lived by the 3 sec rule. If it were anyone else I would have corrected them and said it's the 3 second rule, not the 5 second rule, but given this thread I knew that GWJ lives life 5 seconds at a time.

5 seconds was the standard back in the day. Before the interwebs germs moved slower.

#7559 1 year ago
    Quoted from clempo:

You never understood it because it is a myth. The concept was that longer than 5 seconds on the ground had a much higher chance of contamination by bacteria. Multiple studies have tried to replicate this rule and for the most part failed. Bacteria can contaminate a food substance (John’s favorite food) instantaneously, but for the most part food moisture and substrate (carpet, wood, tile) was a bigger determinant of dose of innoculant than time on that surface.

#7560 1 year ago
    Quoted from pookycade:

You never understood it because it is a myth. The concept was that longer than 5 seconds on the ground had a much higher chance of contamination by bacteria. Multiple studies have tried to replicate this rule and for the most part failed. Bacteria can contaminate a food substance (John’s favorite food) instantaneously, but for the most part food moisture and substrate (carpet, wood, tile) was a bigger determinant of dose of innoculant than time on that surface.

Technically, the myth is real, the facts behind the myth may not be real. Or not.

#7561 1 year ago

Does anyone really think that a chubb of pepperoni off the floor is going to add any more than the nitrates that are already in that thing? Besides a few squirts of windex and it's as good as fresh from the deli counter.....or not

#7562 1 year ago

In the words of a famous Canadian power trio, “All the world’s indeed a stage, and we are merely players.” (I think Shakespeare ripped Rush off here). But John doesn’t wear a mask, he’s unfiltered and upfront about everything — especially his foibles. I don’t think many of us would be comfortable doing that, so cheers for being you John.

#7563 1 year ago
    Quoted from Beechwood:

I would think GWJ would frequent Walmart for saving.

Doubtful. Proud Canadian. Walmart isn't homegrown.

#7564 1 year ago
    Quoted from blueberryjohnson:

Doubtful. Proud Canadian. Walmart isn't homegrown.

Also keep in mind the guy takes the bus everywhere - the Walmart is probably not that close to where he lives. They aren’t on every corner up here like in the states.

#7565 1 year ago
    Quoted from Pinbub:

5 seconds was the standard back in the day. Before the interwebs germs moved slower.

Haven't you heard, GWJ smashes viruses with a hammer.

#7566 1 year ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

Also keep in mind the guy takes the bus everywhere - the Walmart is probably not that close to where he lives. They aren’t on every corner up here like in the states.

15 minutes, 7.3 kilometers. Much closer than the slow bus to home Depot

#7567 1 year ago

This bar has railroad tracks near the back patio, watch the smokers, or look for deer in the city. Also has a dog grooming service next door, watch the dogs & usually the female owners. Some dogs like to be groomed, & others put up a fight.

someone needs to post some google map locations
    I need some visual settings to go with this .......

#7568 1 year ago

These 2 sentences are my favorite ones in this gem of an update. Are you looking for the deer on foot, or from the friendly confines of the bus? The female dog owners reference is also an all-time classic!

#7569 1 year ago

I might have the home computer on line tonight. Walmart here is at my big transit terminal. In my area it does not have great deals for one person. Geared towards families. Add into the long rat maze to check out a few items, or in the few lines open for big orders. Also I do not like being asked at times to look at my receipt & open my bag(s). Not the friendliest store to walk the isles. We only have a few big grocery stores main stream, & a number of smaller stores or drug stores for shopping. I prefer to go to Sobeys, way less customers, has discounts on stuff usually every day, & mostly friendly. Security does not greet me or interact with me, since I am just a poor pensioner not there to steal stuff. I also like to go to my local butcher wholesaler, for my discount meat products. There is a old guy must be 80 working his ass off daily, & looks like he still has all his fingers. Old school location that actually saws & cuts meats in plain sight of the customers. Another friendly place to go, & not get treated like a dog. Walmart is a place I avoid unless I have to buy another cheap inkjet printer (do not buy HP). Printers get hand hammer time when I can no longer get them to print or except my ink refills for black. My wife usually eats, drinks, shops, & entertains on her own. I say nothing about her bags of hard boiled eggs, & in Canada there are lots of spoof commercials towards males questioning women about eating eggs. Today I will have my salad, might last 2 days. But all the good stuff will be gone. Free salad dressing in pouches, & nice free croutons. Might have some cheese today, save the mild pepperoni, & hot dogs for another day. Get some hot dog buns. Got my wife a suitcase of Bud to hopefully get her through to my pension check on the 1st. Some what happy wife, is as good as it gets from me. Maybe take her out to the Irish bar for drinks & a meal in November.

IMG_0097 (resized).JPGIMG_0097 (resized).JPGIMG_0098 (resized).JPGIMG_0098 (resized).JPG
    #7570 1 year ago

Making a lot of progress there. Looks like you still need the auto launcher and the slingshot mech bash toy. But other than that, that's most of the major mechs populated on the bottom side.

Stick to the plan

#7571 1 year ago

I might have the home computer on line tonight. Walmart here is at my big transit terminal. In my area it does not have great deals for one person. Geared towards families. Add into the long rat maze to check out a few items, or in the few lines open for big orders. Also I do not like being asked at times to look at my receipt & open my bag(s). Not the friendliest store to walk the isles. We only have a few big grocery stores main stream, & a number of smaller stores or drug stores for shopping. I prefer to go to Sobeys, way less customers, has discounts on stuff usually every day, & mostly friendly. Security does not greet me or interact with me, since I am just a poor pensioner not there to steal stuff. I also like to go to my local butcher wholesaler, for my discount meat products. There is a old guy must be 80 working his ass off daily, & looks like he still has all his fingers. Old school location that actually saws & cuts meats in plain sight of the customers. Another friendly place to go, & not get treated like a dog. Walmart is a place I avoid unless I have to buy another cheap inkjet printer (do not buy HP). Printers get hand hammer time when I can no longer get them to print or except my ink refills for black. My wife usually eats, drinks, shops, & entertains on her own. I say nothing about her bags of hard boiled eggs, & in Canada there are lots of spoof commercials towards males questioning women about eating eggs. Today I will have my salad, might last 2 days. But all the good stuff will be gone. Free salad dressing in pouches, & nice free croutons. Might have some cheese today, save the mild pepperoni, & hot dogs for another day. Get some hot dog buns. Got my wife a suitcase of Bud to hopefully get her through to my pension check on the 1st. Some what happy wife, is as good as it gets from me. Maybe take her out to the Irish bar for drinks & a meal in November.
    [quoted image][quoted image]

Honey Dijon is a solid dressing choice. One of my favorites.

#7572 1 year ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

Making a lot of progress there. Looks like you still need the auto launcher and the slingshot mech bash toy. But other than that, that's most of the major mechs populated on the bottom side.
    Stick to the plan

The auto launcher & coil are here. But the plywood is over sized at this time. Breadcrumbs in the pictures the last few days for my mistakes. No one said anything so far. Flipper mechs will likely be Stern ones from next Pinball Life order. Deer are huge numbers in my province, & make their way into the city. The Sobeys does not have much calorie reduced free dressings.

#7573 1 year ago

Well I also noticed you didn't cut out the overall outline of the playfield and stuff like a shooter lane, but that didn't feel worth pointing out because it's so obvious

#7574 1 year ago

Or is the breadcrumb about how you used Williams style dual wound coils and want to use single wound Stern flipper coils?

#7575 1 year ago

No I screwed up the up post mech (wrong side in flipper hole) & ball trough direction wrong. Flipper mechs just there to see the foot print at this time.

#7576 1 year ago

Wow. I remember when Pinball Life use to only include jelly beans with an order.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#7577 1 year ago

Honey Dijon? Not what I would have guessed, but you do you! 340 cal, 12 g of sugar, 600 mg sodium in 2 packets. Not exactly super healthy but you could easily do much worse.

#7578 1 year ago

No I screwed up the up post mech (wrong side in flipper hole) & ball trough direction wrong. Flipper mechs just there to see the foot print at this time.

Oh yeah, I didn't notice that about the ball trough in the one photo

I screw up the whole Left and Right side of the playfield a lot when working on the bottom, sometimes turned around... I had to put stickers that say L and R on a few spots to keep me straight and not overthink it.

#7579 1 year ago

[quoted image][quoted image]

Where's the Mayo?

#7580 1 year ago

in Canada there are lots of spoof commercials towards males questioning women about eating eggs.

I have no idea what this means.

#7581 1 year ago
    Quoted from Methos:

I have no idea what this means.

craiyon_101702__span_style__color__rgb_68__68__68___font_family__Verdana___quot_DejaVu_Sans_quot___s (resized).pngcraiyon_101702__span_style__color__rgb_68__68__68___font_family__Verdana___quot_DejaVu_Sans_quot___s (resized).png
    #7582 1 year ago
    Quoted from Haymaker:

Honey Dijon? Not what I would have guessed, but you do you! 340 cal, 12 g of sugar, 600 mg sodium in 2 packets. Not exactly super healthy but you could easily do much worse.

have you seen the grey ham .... the dressing is the least of his risks

#7583 1 year ago

https://www.facebook.com/eggs/videos/643690749490920/

Other egg commercials out there that insult males even better than these. Maybe they got pulled off the air.

#7584 1 year ago
    Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

have you seen the grey ham .... the dressing is the least of his risks

I'm talking strictly from a nutritional standpoint give me the salad any day over the gray ham

https://www.facebook.com/eggs/videos/643690749490920/
    Other egg commercials out there that insult males even better than these. Maybe they got pulled off the air.

Do people actually think eggs for dinner is weird? At least this is way better than the cereal for dinner ads I've been seeing here in the US lately

#7585 1 year ago

I prefer to go to Sobeys, way less customers, has discounts on stuff usually every day, & mostly friendly. Security does not greet me or interact with me, since I am just a poor pensioner not there to steal stuff. I also like to go to my local butcher wholesaler, for my discount meat products. There is a old guy must be 80 working his ass off daily, & looks like he still has all his fingers. Old school location that actually saws & cuts meats in plain sight of the customers. Another friendly place to go, & not get treated like a dog. Walmart is a place I avoid unless I have to buy another cheap inkjet printer (do not buy HP)

John, all the pinball build aside. I want to commend you. It's obvious your lifestyle isn't what you may have wanted, but you have learned how to deal with what you have been dealt and live within your means. As off the wall you are in some ways, I think there are many other things that people could learn quite a bit from you. It should all just be nicknamed the GWJ way.

I am somewhat humbled by you because I fully realize that the times I get mad or disagree with you are because they are not the way I would do it, it's the GWJ way. You are completely trial & error and no one else is going to tell you otherwise.

#7586 1 year ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

John, all the pinball build aside. I want to commend you. It's obvious your lifestyle isn't what you may have wanted, but you have learned how to deal with what you have been dealt and live within your means. As off the wall you are in some ways, I think there are many other things that people could learn quite a bit from you. It should all just be nicknamed the GWJ way.
    I am somewhat humbled by you because I fully realize that the times I get mad or disagree with you are because they are not the way I would do it, it's the GWJ way. You are completely trial & error and no one else is going to tell you otherwise.

In the confrontation between the stream and the rock, the stream always wins; not through strength, but through persistence - Laozi

#7587 1 year ago

Thanks got a pocket full of dimes & nickels from the operator (quarter vend). Have some cold beer from the pop machine (Olands). They are doing sewer & storm water works in the area near the workshop. Get more walking in for 2 bus routes, since the road is closed near my local Sobeys. 2 beer on Monday. Just over 5 dozen bottles of beer in the pop machine.

#7588 1 year ago

Thanks got a pocket full of dimes & nickels from the operator (quarter vend). Have some cold beer from the pop machine (Olands). They are doing sewer & storm water works in the area near the workshop. Get more walking in for 2 bus routes, since the road is closed.

Most people would complain, John sees it as an opportunity to get an extra walk in

When he isn't smashing things with a hammer, John seems pretty zen

#7589 1 year ago
    Quoted from blueberryjohnson:

John, you mention Sobeys a good amount. Would you provide your rankings of and thoughts regarding Canada's major homegrown retailers? Loblaws, Sobeys, Metro, Save-On, and Longos come to mind.

Longos is upper crust with an excellent hot table.

#7590 1 year ago

Sobeys is generic but does sell alcohol. The hot table is basic at best however the honey garlic ribs are my go to along with the most basic vegetable fried rice of all time. John is on to something at Sobeys.

#7591 1 year ago

Finished Olands #2. Had a Wendy single for lunch with pumpkin pie. Supper had 2 plain cake donuts, & cheese, crackers, green olives for supper. Did some minor sling shot rubber change to Dead Pool & TMNT, fixed a crane game again. Upright vid finally went out after a year in the slow build of a new cabinet. Was a 19 in 1 board, original new board was a dud from China. Dud might be able to use for 1 Player only game (1 joystick). The picture was from a few months ago before I finished up the build.

IMG_0328 (resized).JPGIMG_0328 (resized).JPG
    #7592 1 year ago

It has been three weeks, but here is your nearly 2 month build update:

-He left eye doctor disappointed, opting for the "cattle mill clinic and hopefully not piss me off with poor service."

-"Fastgate" came and went quickly, and he opted for P3 instead. No egos were harmed in the minor back and forth

-Pest control sprayed for bed bugs in his slum apartment. Meager pensions were mentioned.

-He said his wife likes to "drink alone in bedroom listening to music or shows." Unsure if Froot Loops are involved.

-He worked on a Xenon, Medusa, Gorgar and Motordome. He also worked on a Nugent for a fraternity. 3rd party reports hint that he showed up in a toga with his tool box in one hand and beers in the other.

-He said empty beer cans are not allowed on the bus, only full ones in a pack of 36.

-His brother saved stray and feral cats. As a result, I assume the reveal party in March should be pussy free (if anyone doubted that anyway)

-One night he couldn't find a $2 deal at the store so he went to the bar and drank 3 beers and lost $17.50 on slots, then bought pepperoni from the butcher and was tailed by 6 rabid crows while eating on the way home. One crow scored a tough pepperoni end which may have saved GWJ's life.

-He sought out 2 companies to fabricate his metal rails. Proximity to craft beer bars made this a no brainer.

-His wife said she doesn't like pinball guys... tough break GWJ

-He spent 3 hours traveling to and from the "Dirty Bird" for supper. Turns out it is just KFC. Ironically, there are 4 within 6 miles of his slum apartment.

-coach asked him to hurry up the build. So he went out and bought his wife 3 tall boys as insurance.

-He went on a hot dog binge, with unknown bullshit meat for a good price. 5 year expired mustard tied it all together.

-When his computers quit working, he enjoys smashing them with a hammer. He tells this to employees trying to sell the extended warranty. His wife and dead mother are not amused by this behavior. Not sure if this is a weekend at Bernie's type situation.

-He decided to start a whole new email instead of resetting his password on hotmail. It has gone as smoothly as one could imagine for GWJ.

-He dropped the innovative MDF whiteboard and it broke. He admitted that Ben Heck may have been right about it being a bad idea.

-He cut the new blueprint for the next whitewood with greater accuracy, admitting he was up to 2nd grade proficiency.

-He was under the weather one night, but went to the bar and had 10 beers. It fixed him right up.

-He said he is fine with his lesbian bartender, as he said "they have to do what they gotta do". But she has a dog which everyone knows is a chick magnet.

-He prefers Sobeys expired food over fresh because Walmart doesn't realize he is a poor pensioner and shakes him down at the checkout.

-His whitewood is coming along with more progress in 3 days than the prior 7 weeks.

I gave up on trying to keep a beer count. I would need the WWII wind walker code breakers to figure out the actual total. GWJ is being more cryptic than ever on the numbers.

#7593 1 year ago

Back on line thanks to Tiger Law. Got home after I had 3 Guinness.

#7594 1 year ago

Hell yea, ugh can we put LoginGate to bed now, or is more HammerTime in play, potentially?

#7595 1 year ago
    Quoted from Beechwood:

I gave up on trying to keep a beer count. I would need the WWII wind walker code breakers to figure out the actual total. GWJ is being more cryptic than ever on the numbers.

That's good.

#7596 1 year ago

Back on line thanks to Tiger Law.

Lets give it up for the mods. The unsung heroes keeping Pinside sanitary and helpful! Thanks Mods!!!

#7597 1 year ago

Just doing my part to help keep GWJ safe, avoid these if they appear on the discount rack by accident:

“The U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Food Safety and Inspection Service announced late last week that the brand's Italian Pork Sausage sausages might be contaminated with foreign materials, including blue rubber.

The affected products, 1-lb. chubs containing “Bob Evans Italian Sausage,””

#7598 1 year ago

I'll drink to that.

#7599 1 year ago

This week I will get the parts here mounted to the mdf board.

Would you say you succesfully met your self-imposed deadline?

#7600 1 year ago

Yes everything is going as planned. Only start to get concerned if things look bad by the end of the year (2 months left before Texas deadline). I try to avoid buying discount sausage product since it was likely frozen & thawed. Taste like shit if you repeat the cycle. Had cheap $1 mac & cheese for breakfast, with a Tims coffee (McD was closed for some reason).

There are 10,636 posts in this topic. You are on page 152 of 213.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/moby-dick-let-s-talk-whales-and-whale-watching/page/152 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.