Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 10,636 posts
  • 267 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by BeachPickle
  • Topic is favorited by 72 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Trailer Trash-the Pin. The GWJ Chronicles”

• John finds the big whale and makes 1 "super LE CE Bling" Trailer Park Boys pin 17 votes
      11%
    • John finds 10 small whales and makes 10 "pro style homebrew type" Trailer Park Boys pins 11 votes
      7%
    • John buys an aquarium to pass the time until his dreams are realized 128 votes
      82%

(156 votes)

This poll has been closed.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

closed.gif
    EBC73878-BC53-4200-A2B6-C2F2E0527AAC (resized).jpeg
    F982508F-9554-4C5F-B499-531394F6F6C6 (resized).jpeg
    4E248FC9-0974-462E-9242-503735D9F3F4 (resized).jpeg
    2D3AED4E-728C-423B-AA1A-BC65047C5B9A.gif
    OTR.gif
    IMG_0355 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0363 (resized).JPG
    popcorns.gif
    IMG_0360 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0362 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0359 (resized).JPG
    worlds_worst_coach_trucker_hat-rcabf536f37e04dbc8095021b9983cf42_eahwj_8byvr_630 (resized).jpg
    7B29A5B0-680F-4306-A606-5CB78CED39B3_4_5005_c (resized).jpeg
    34C7A3AA-F74D-481F-8084-39C43A1199C7 (resized).jpeg
    93BD3918-24E8-44BF-A93F-1AB39CB7D00D (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

9 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

This topic is closed.

There are 10,636 posts in this topic. You are on page 132 of 213.
    #6551 1 year ago
    Quoted from homebrood:

Yes but a huge part of this is to wire all of the lights, switches, inserts, displays, and route them to all the right connectors, and creating a wiring harness without a plan can be a big deal! It needs to go to all the right lines so someone can actuallhy program things to work. Not just some glued inserts and screws to wood... or maybe it is easy or not or maybe...

I think the wiring is tedious, but not especially difficult. The difficulty is mostly in avoiding electromagnetic interferences, which is essentially keep the high power lines away from low voltage communication lines. Beyond that, it's hours and hours of crimping wires and documenting hardware addresses and troubleshooting notes (example: this switch connects to board id 2, bank 1, pin 3 via a blue wire with a black trace)

I think it took me around twenty hours to learn P3-ROC and wire everything? 95% of my switches and lamps were correct on first boot up. Only needed to switch a few hardware addresses in the software.

If I wanted my rats nest to look better maybe another 10 hours to obsessively manage the wires with a hundred little zip ties.

Tedious work, not difficult work

#6552 1 year ago
    Quoted from LORDDREK:

I beg to differ. This is absolutely just a build. Pro plans delivered on a silver platter. The base code will probably be the same. John can handle the rest. That is why there is no pressure.
    Can’t print plans? Just wait a week and try again. Can’t get metal fabricated? Again try another and wait a week for them to say no. Rinse and repeat.
    Like John and Ice I have no doubt this will be done. After all this is just some glued inserts and screws to wood. Everything else is someone else’s responsibility.
    My concern if invested would be how refined and polished will it end up being. Frankly if someone sent me thousands to build my dream I’d never set foot in a bar but spend the savings on good food and beer, hole up in the shop and multi-task the shit out of this project.

And to think he is waiting for the metal guides just to build the paneling "pre" whitewood.

What an adventure!

#6553 1 year ago

Cabinet build is not until December. Coach is not paying my rent. Overhead is extremely low. Just called the metal shop & the guy is going on vacation to Greece for just over a week. Wiring & some programming I will do. Again never going to use a crock pot for cooking.
    Just did a quick service call with the operator to a Frat House needing their game working. Turned out to be my only Dragonfist game. Playfield fuse blown, & adjust outhole switch. Likely needs a new sound board, & a few switches not working. Hopefully they bring it in to the workshop for some service, cleaning, & new rubbers.
    For wiring I was going to get into the biz before WireBot decided he would take it on. Since stuff was getting slowed down in Texas. I had figured out what was required for wiring, but old Molex connectors are extremely hard to get. Same Nugent is being sold for $3k CDN by another operator, just under $2200 USD. Only one I have seen in my area.
    IMG_0295 (resized).JPGIMG_0295 (resized).JPG

#6554 1 year ago

Dragonfist? You have my attention. Now there's a great game! (a photo in lieu of John's random photo of unrelated stuff)

46335CC9-ACC1-4443-A423-824D68AD3E42 (resized).jpeg46335CC9-ACC1-4443-A423-824D68AD3E42 (resized).jpeg

Look at those angles and curves. They play fast and mean.

And thinking of Dragonfist, this game really needs a spinner rip high score board with all 3 spinners

Going back to your idea of making the displays say 666,666: imagine trying to get all 3 spinners to 66 spins.

#6555 1 year ago

Part of my past history is all the games I got working in the late 90's. A bunch of rare stuff went to the dump or got burned. Back at that time parts & any new electronic stuff was hard to get. Fantastic Pinball is looking at doing Dragonfist playfield if he can get a good scan.

#6556 1 year ago

I would love to build a Dragonfist from spare parts and a new playfield. Great game that not enough people ever get to try out.

#6557 1 year ago

Dragonfist is fast and mean - no 10 minute ball times on that game.

I'd make an offer to the frat house and get it out of there.

Tell them you'll bring over suitcases of Bud Light for a year.

#6558 1 year ago

I'd buy them a few kegs and be there tonight if they wanna get rid of it lol

#6559 1 year ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

I think the wiring is tedious, but not especially difficult. The difficulty is mostly in avoiding electromagnetic interferences, which is essentially keep the high power lines away from low voltage communication lines. Beyond that, it's hours and hours of crimping wires and documenting hardware addresses and troubleshooting notes (example: this switch connects to board id 2, bank 1, pin 3 via a blue wire with a black trace)
    I think it took me around twenty hours to learn P3-ROC and wire everything? 95% of my switches and lamps were correct on first boot up. Only needed to switch a few hardware addresses in the software.
    If I wanted my rats nest to look better maybe another 10 hours to obsessively manage the wires with a hundred little zip ties.
    Tedious work, not difficult work

Yes and John has shown ability to handle this. So I should add “Crimp wires” to build tasks…

#6560 1 year ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

If he challenges them to a drinking contest, last one standing gets the Dragonfist, I’m placing my bet on GWJ. He’s had many more years of practice.

#6561 1 year ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

Kegs are not public transit friendly, not to mention dragging the pin home on the bus.

#6562 1 year ago
    Quoted from Pinbub:

Kegs are not public transit friendly, not to mention dragging the pin home on the bus.

The lesson I've learned from this thread is to not worry and stick to the plan. Things will fall into place. Or it dies!

#6563 1 year ago

John — a clarification and a serious question:

so starting around late oct / early nov you’ll be working on this build 8-12hrs a day
    OR
    you’ll be in the workshop 8-12hrs a day.. working on this build, or not?

For the question— what about the programmer and whomever is doing all the audio/visual assets and light shows (and art)? Are these all people that have agreed to work on this pro bono AND have ‘unlimited’ time to go so? Or do they have time to do this on commission when their turn is up? Or will they be fitting it into their schedules here and there? How much actual labor time are they going to have available between when they are handed their portion and their schedules to work on the game?

I have zero doubt that by March you can screw all the parts on and get some guides made, even wire stuff up somewhat decently with 12hr a day on this. If all others involved don’t have that time luxury (which compresses every day that’s wasted) it’s concerning.

#6564 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mbecker:

For the question— what about the programmer and whomever is doing all the audio/visual assets and light shows (and art)? Are these all people that have agreed to work on this pro bono AND have ‘unlimited’ time to go so? Or do they have time to do this on commission when their turn is up? Or will they be fitting it into their schedules here and there? How much actual labor time are they going to have available between when they are handed their portion and their schedules to work on the game?

It's all going to plan. Don't bother asking such silly specifics.

#6565 1 year ago
    Quoted from Beechwood:

It's all going to plan. Don't bother asking such silly specifics.

Hahaha right! The PLAN. Johns good at spinning wild stories that suck us in, perhaps career in TV with his own reality show?

I’m glad that the cab build dates have finally been revealed at least - another leak into the plan black hole. No reason to start that now or last month or anything, when there’s down time.

#6566 1 year ago

New TV reality series....The Plan.... A show that follows John around and people see that there is no actual PLAN, but John insists that is all part of the plan too. We do get to see his apartment, the shop, the hotplate, his beer fridge, the bus, the bar and the grocery store hunting for gray ham and fruit pie.

#6567 1 year ago

I’m starting to realize John enjoys being enveloped by adversity because he literally manufactures it…

#6568 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mbecker:

No reason to start that now or last month or anything, when there’s down time.

Apparently you haven't read the whole thread. Many of us asked such things many weeks ago. We have all accepted the fact that while it makes sense (to us) to get a head start, it's not part his plan.

If it's not a part of his plan, in his head, on his napkin... Its not going to change. The plan is the plan is the plan.

Once you accept this fact, this thread is much more bearable and dare I say ... Entertaining?

#6569 1 year ago

Imagine what would be different in this process and final result if he landed the 100k whale.

#6570 1 year ago
    Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Imagine what would be different in this process and final result if he landed the 100k whale.

Nothing, right?

#6571 1 year ago
    Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

More beers....

#6572 1 year ago
    Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

FAST controller?

#6573 1 year ago
    Quoted from pinballkim:

FAST controller?

I will personally build and sign it! A true LE!

Aaron
    FAST Pinball

#6574 1 year ago
    Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

I could not even imagine what this would look like. The 100K was based on getting the Trailer Park Boys license that he was never going to get.

#6575 1 year ago
    Quoted from fastpinball:

I will personally build and sign it! A true LE!
    Aaron
    FAST Pinball

or Not!

#6576 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mbecker: If all others involved don’t have that time luxury (which compresses every day that’s wasted) it’s concerning.

stop making sense.gifstop making sense.gif
    #6577 1 year ago
    B12F54DA-64F8-497E-A85C-9994B4E80D10 (resized).jpegB12F54DA-64F8-497E-A85C-9994B4E80D10 (resized).jpeg
    #6578 1 year ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

New TV reality series....The Plan.... A show that follows John around and people see that there is no actual PLAN, but John insists that is all part of the plan too. We do get to see his apartment, the shop, the hotplate, his beer fridge, the bus, the bar and the grocery store hunting for gray ham and fruit pie.

Seriously, his life SHOULD be the build. $2 off the funeral sandwich platter is the super jackpot..

Hurry ups are getting the partially grey ham before it goes fill grey.

All of the manufactures who cant help him share a single large drain hole, surrounded around smaller targets that are bars to visit in between failed missions.

#6579 1 year ago
    Quoted from LORDDREK:

I’m starting to realize John enjoys being enveloped by adversity because he literally manufactures it…

Nah. He just lives his life, we make the drama, because we are basing his life on our values.

#6580 1 year ago
    trailer trash (resized).jpgtrailer trash (resized).jpg
    #6581 1 year ago

Looks like a LOT of plans! Let's not overwhelm anyone. No need for panic!

#6582 1 year ago
    Quoted from Roostking:

Nah. He just lives his life, we make the drama, because we are basing his life on our values.

Oh you mean realistic values? Got it, I'll adjust the plan accordingly.

#6583 1 year ago
    Quoted from Pinbub:

Oh you mean realistic values? Got it, I'll adjust the plan accordingly.

The more you put off until the very end, the less you stress overall, i guess?

#6584 1 year ago

I assume that book includes this one

6511406F-A1E2-41C1-8196-DE4D0C296A6C (resized).jpeg6511406F-A1E2-41C1-8196-DE4D0C296A6C (resized).jpeg
    #6585 1 year ago
    Quoted from Roostking:

I think that is a wonderful view you have adopted.

#6586 1 year ago
    Quoted from LORDDREK:

I think that is a wonderful view you have adopted.

Just this once, dont get it twisted!

#6587 1 year ago

Sorry but I just can't get passed that creepy disclosure.
    zzzzzUntitled (resized).jpgzzzzzUntitled (resized).jpg

#6588 1 year ago

Bed bugs take a very aggressive approach to getting rid of. I've had a lot of experience with employees.

Anyway- I'm waiting for last night's beer total.

#6589 1 year ago

After 2 days of no beer, had 10 Friday night. 4 The Local bar, 2 Barcade, & 4 at my Pinball social. Pop machine still full of beer at the workshop. So a slow start today, had $2 off turkey flatbread with cranberry sauce, & senior McD coffee for lunch.
    As people have seen there is no rush in the production schedule at this time. Everything is going well with the plan. The coach will likely reach out to me at his convenience. So far the coach has roughly $2.2k USD towards the build, & donated $200 USD towards stocking the pop machine with bottled beer for me & the team for September & October. The panel board is stored until the second round of Pinball Life parts come in, & my local FedEx is extremely slow with deliveries. Saw the truck briefly in the parking lot, before he drove off. Did not look like the regular guy.
    IMG_0061 (resized).JPGIMG_0061 (resized).JPG

#6590 1 year ago
    Quoted from Pinbub:

You are not allowed to transport empty beer cans on the bus. I walk for miles to return them, good exercise. Good to see Aaron from Fast Pinball still checking in while I wait on his competitors boards. Always a fun hobby.

#6591 1 year ago
    Quoted from greatwichjohn:

You are not allowed to transport empty beer cans on the bus. I walk for miles to return them, good exercise. Good to see Aaron from Fast Pinball still checking in while I wait on his competitors boards. Always a fun hobby.

But can you transport full kegs on the bus?

#6592 1 year ago

Good to see Aaron from Fast Pinball still checking in while I wait on his competitors boards. Always a fun hobby.

images.jpeg (resized).jpgimages.jpeg (resized).jpg
    #6593 1 year ago

For lunch today Chicken picnic meal. Already had the mac, & 2 rolls for breakfast. Also got a cherry pie & had a slice for desert earlier.
    My wife likes to drink alone in her bedroom listening to music or shows.

For a second there, I thought I’d logged into Facebook by mistake. Went to the store. Had some beers. Tell the world.

#6594 1 year ago
    Quoted from Roostking:

Seriously, his life SHOULD be the build. $2 off the funeral sandwich platter is the super jackpot..
    Hurry ups are getting the partially grey ham before it goes fill grey.
    All of the manufactures who cant help him share a single large drain hole, surrounded around smaller targets that are bars to visit in between failed missions.

There is a lot of material here to work with for sure.. and it just keeps coming. Anyone here want to take this on to pair up next to whatever John brings? Ya got plenty of time, you wouldn’t even need to rush. Do it on the same layout, designs already done! You’re 50% of the way there and you haven’t even had to start yet.. in fact, probably can kick your feet up till at least December!!

Maybe a small team build? I’d love to play this. Maybe John would agree to recording callouts?

#6595 1 year ago

Jon Norris keeps releasing more playfields designed by him. People should follow his Facebook account, lots of good stuff. Jon will receive $500 USD to his charity for each pin built on mostly his design layout 3 Spinners. Maybe have the coach have a cheque in Austin for some publicity towards Jon charity cat choice. My brother has rescued a bunch of stray & feral cats at his home there.
    Just got back from the local store no deals. So I hit another bar for 3 Oland Beers, some nickel bets (lost $17.50), & got some TNT pepperoni from the butcher shop for supper. Ate it walking back to the workshop, & had 6 crows follow me endlessly from the park & down the street. One was lucky enough to get a tiny end of TNT pepperoni.

#6596 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mbecker:

There is a lot of material here to work with for sure.. and it just keeps coming. Anyone here want to take this on to pair up next to whatever John brings? Ya got plenty of time, you wouldn’t even need to rush. Do it on the same layout, designs already done! You’re 50% of the way there and you haven’t even had to start yet.. in fact, probably can kick your feet up till at least December!!
    Maybe a small team build? I’d love to play this. Maybe John would agree to recording callouts?

That is just meta enough I can get behind it, even put dollars towards it. I think the game should be delivered to John at TPF or not, auction it off to charity or not. This way we can assure that there is a plan and a machine is delivered therefore ensuring John is successful no matter what happens next on his build. In fact it would just all be part of the plan. I like it ! I nominate TreyBo69 to lead the effort.

Someone needs to sketch this out on a bar napkin (preferably from Halifax) for posterity.

Anyone have a Fast Pinball board we can use for prototyping ?

#6597 1 year ago

Pass. I have an existing project I already fiddle with when I'm not shit posting online.

It does look like a fun design though. I do kinda want to put a very rough version of it together lol.

#6598 1 year ago

I’m picturing “Or Not” drops, with “It Dies” stand ups behind.

#6599 1 year ago

I will make a suggestion (because ideas are easy)
    7912012C-FDDF-4007-B096-D3437FB28006 (resized).jpeg7912012C-FDDF-4007-B096-D3437FB28006 (resized).jpeg
    Knock back beers at a beer can bash toy. Every shot to the can makes a can opening noise. Light up 6 inserts shaped like a six pack. Every 6 hits starts a multiball.

#6600 1 year ago

Will the feral cats be at the big reveal party? I'm also curious what your brother had for breakfast. We don't hear much about him except that he has a driveway,.... and now feral cats. Somehow I think the feral cats are a bread crumb.

There are 10,636 posts in this topic. You are on page 132 of 213.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/moby-dick-let-s-talk-whales-and-whale-watching/page/132 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.