Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 10,636 posts
  • 267 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by BeachPickle
  • Topic is favorited by 72 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Trailer Trash-the Pin. The GWJ Chronicles”

• John finds the big whale and makes 1 "super LE CE Bling" Trailer Park Boys pin 17 votes
      11%
    • John finds 10 small whales and makes 10 "pro style homebrew type" Trailer Park Boys pins 11 votes
      7%
    • John buys an aquarium to pass the time until his dreams are realized 128 votes
      82%

(156 votes)

This poll has been closed.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

closed.gif
    EBC73878-BC53-4200-A2B6-C2F2E0527AAC (resized).jpeg
    F982508F-9554-4C5F-B499-531394F6F6C6 (resized).jpeg
    4E248FC9-0974-462E-9242-503735D9F3F4 (resized).jpeg
    2D3AED4E-728C-423B-AA1A-BC65047C5B9A.gif
    OTR.gif
    IMG_0355 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0363 (resized).JPG
    popcorns.gif
    IMG_0360 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0362 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0359 (resized).JPG
    worlds_worst_coach_trucker_hat-rcabf536f37e04dbc8095021b9983cf42_eahwj_8byvr_630 (resized).jpg
    7B29A5B0-680F-4306-A606-5CB78CED39B3_4_5005_c (resized).jpeg
    34C7A3AA-F74D-481F-8084-39C43A1199C7 (resized).jpeg
    93BD3918-24E8-44BF-A93F-1AB39CB7D00D (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

9 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

This topic is closed.

There are 10,636 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 213.
    #551 1 year ago
    Quoted from greatwichjohn:

You have a very selective memory

Oh please.

#552 1 year ago
    Quoted from Beechwood:

I'm in, you son of a bitch!!

Im in on the shirt deal.

#553 1 year ago

Probably right for those that think nothing will ever happen. I do have a firm timeline or the project could DIE!

Notice the FOMO tactic at the end. Could DIE!

Oh no whales, get on it!

#554 1 year ago

Yes the phone number works,& someone sent me a call from some comic club (recording). The count was 4, & I was at a local collectors house. Played Fish Tales, The Getaway, & RollerCoaster Tycoon last night.

#555 1 year ago

7AE74073-306D-4232-9EF3-59CE72393E53 (resized).jpeg7AE74073-306D-4232-9EF3-59CE72393E53 (resized).jpeg

#556 1 year ago

Great idea we can use the Gilded Lady to find whales!

#557 1 year ago

But what if it DIES?

#558 1 year ago
    Quoted from Gornkleschnitzer:

But what if it DIES?

It wont, if you FOMO and put the money down! You can create life!

#559 1 year ago
    Quoted from pinlink:

How will this "Whale Investor" get a return on their "investment", John?

Dude, that question is so page three of this thread. Try and keep up.

#560 1 year ago

There's no "if it dies" because this investment is SOLID AS A ROCK.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #561 1 year ago

I'm an impulsive clown to explain my earlier posts in this thread. I like to make jokes in general and I try not to take life too seriously. (yes, I sometimes fail)

In my opinion, John Greatwich would make a great employee if someone would give him a chance. He has knowledge, skill and best of all, he has passion. I'm not stupid enough to start a pinball company but I would definitely give him an opportunity if I did. And I mean that.

His quest for the great whale is ill conceived and destined for failure. But that sort of thing is beyond his skill level and I think if properly used he could be a great company asset.
    I hope someone will give him a chance and that's what I think this is really all about. A creative but odd employment campaign.

Note to Mr. Whale: I would advise you muzzle John from Pinside as he can be his own worst enemy.

Good luck, John

#562 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

I'm an impulsive clown to explain my earlier posts in this thread. I like to make jokes in general and I try not to take life too seriously.
    (yes, I sometimes fail)
    In my opinion, John Greatwich would make a great employee if someone would give him a chance. He has knowledge, skill and best of all, he has passion. I'm not stupid enough to start a pinball company but I would definitely give him an opportunity if I did. And I mean that.
    His quest for the great whale is ill conceived and destined for failure. But that sort of thing is beyond his skill level and I think if properly used he could be a great company asset.
    I hope someone will give him a chance and that's what I think this is really all about. A creative but odd employment campaign.
    Note to Mr. Whale: I would advise you muzzle John from Pinside as he can be his own worst enemy.
    Good luck, John

Thanks Kim: Still looking for the one Big Whale investor. I would guess there are 10 or more (Big Whales) that know me from the old days of RGP & Pinside. The search continues for another 2 weeks.

#563 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

I think if properly used he could be a great company asset.

What’s his skill set? He is not a designer or coder or engineer or artist or an IP license expert…he doesn’t have high end money management talent or have deep pocket financial contacts of his own. In all candor, what does he possibly bring to the table for a pinball company?

I guess he’s saying he can be a project manager of some sort or another, but that requires a significant amount of self-awareness and attention to detail…not to mention the ability to meet deadlines and manage people what not. He’s done a lot of name dropping and tried to affiliate himself in some way with Fix…that won’t endear him or give potential employers any sense that he can keep cool.

#564 1 year ago
    Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Hold the presses. I found a whale with $100k who wants to invest in this worthwhile venture. Recognizing shear genius when I hear it. Willing to pay too dollar for what the game is worth. Let’s switch theme to sharks and go!

I was saving this for a rainy day. But what the heck. I'm in.

LTG : )

DSC00655 (resized).JPGDSC00655 (resized).JPG
    #565 1 year ago

Yes the phone number works,& someone sent me a call from some comic club (recording). The count was 4, & I was at a local collectors house. Played Fish Tales, The Getaway, & RollerCoaster Tycoon last night.

I saw a mode high score that said Greatwich on Walking Dead when I was there losing my ass today. Was that you?

#566 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

I'm an impulsive clown to explain my earlier posts in this thread. I like to make jokes in general and I try not to take life too seriously.
    (yes, I sometimes fail)
    Good luck, John

My sentiments exactly. Agreed…

#567 1 year ago
    Quoted from LORDDREK:

I saw a mode high score that said Greatwich on Walking Dead when I was at Arcadia losing my ass today. Was that you?

#568 1 year ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

What’s his skill set?

Persistence more than anything. I like that. Also his playfield and backglass knowledge.
    I'm not saying he would be in charge of anything, that's up to others to decide. Despite any of his faults, its my guess he'd make a hell of a team player.

#569 1 year ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

What’s his skill set? He is not a designer or coder or engineer or artist or an IP license expert…he doesn’t have high end money management or have deep pocket financial contacts of his own. In all candor, what does he possibly bring to the table for a pinball company?
    I guess he’s saying he can be a project manager of some sort or another, but that requires a significant amount of self-awareness and attention to detail…not to mention the ability to meet deadlines and manage people what not. He’s done a lot of name dropping and tried to affiliate himself in some way with Fix…that won’t endear him or give potential employers any sense that he can keep cool.

He has done some great work in the past. I've purchased backglasses and pfs from him. No complaints and some in here are being a bit harsh.

However, his ability to meet deadlines is as poor as I've ever seen in production and his health (or addictions) stand in his way unfortunately. In addition, he has not shown the ability to keep records as evidenced in the Seawitch pf fiasco.

I wish him the best of luck and he always has seemed like a nice guy.

#570 1 year ago

I have gone to school for many different trades in the past (Plumbing, HVAC, Oil Burner, & Gas Fitting). Spent 25 years looking after Public Swimming Pools, & Building Operations (spent more time at night school for Building Technician). Also did 3 years university, & was one of the very few instructors in Canada teaching pool operators. For pinball self learned on hundreds of electronic pinball machines, em, jukebox, & arcade games over the last 27 years. Still do electronic repairs for early electronic pins, up to everything made today. My retirement is doing service work for most of the operators in my region, & people with games.

Previously Deeproot Pinball was looking for me to join fulltime & move to Texas to work in the early days. I did not want to move because of my wifes parents are still alive here, & I wanted to get a private pension which I did get Nov. 2020 Heighway Pinball got tech advice from me, which he used in a way that was not smart for production. People in the business of pinball manufacturing know my reputation over the years either good or bad.

Did many pinball restorations & new ones for 15 years, & new backglass using UV inkjet production which was not very popular many years ago (took a real beating from a bunch of people who believed only in screen printing everything). All the years I produced & restored many playfields never had delamination or pooling of the clear coat & uv ink. That using water based interior varethane & mostly OMNI auto clear from many different contractors.

I do have many contractors & skilled people here in my area to get 1 or a few new pinball games built in a 6 month window. My ultimate dream is the 1 Big Whale to get a pimped out single game going this month. If not like I keep saying August is onto Plan B.

Yes one of my faults over the years was loss of records towards the list of playfield prepaid guys. Learned that stuff can be locked out like my Hotmail account, & loss of paper back up. My various printers & myself had hard drive loss over the years which I have learned never to rely on. Same with personal computers going bad.

#571 1 year ago

And finally, everyone "reasonable" is posting now on this thread topic.
    When "earlier in this thread" I was "down-voted" for trying to be realistic.

I have never been "down-voted" ever. Please re-read this thread and "up-post". Please and Thanks.
    I tried to stop this insanity very early on; and although I have been here for a decade or more.. Jeebuz...

#572 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

(yes, I sometimes fail)
    Good luck, John

Ditto that for Big John. Like the passion, handles the incoming and I think is a good guy regardless of this particular idea.

And i don’t fault him or criticize a guy for trying. Go get em if you can.

Now the setup with no IP rights? That’s gonna be a non-starter for anybody so you might as well go on to plan B.

The other thing you know is that after blowing $57 million and only producing 3 prototypes of Raza it ain’t easy. Not to say all the parts weren’t there ready to go before the SEC stepped in. They were, it was truly astounding what was in that place that never got utilized

And that “1 of 1” somewhat working RAZA that I got to see finally up close and personal at the liquidation sale, it didn’t leave me thinking man I missed out on something great. Just another pin. Could have had that one for $25-30k at auction.

Even though you are still looking for the “big whale” John, start warming up Plan B in the bullpen now brother.

#573 1 year ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Ditto that for Big John. Like the passion, handles the incoming and I think is a good guy regardless of this particular idea.
    And i don’t fault him or criticize a guy for trying. Go get em if you can.
    Now the setup with no IP rights? That’s gonna be a non-starter for anybody so you might as well go on to plan B.
    The other thing you know is that after blowing $57 million and only producing 3 prototypes of Raza it ain’t easy. Not to say all the parts weren’t there ready to go before the SEC stepped in. They were, it was truly astounding what was in that place that never got utilized
    And that “1 of 1” somewhat working RAZA that I got to see finally up close and personal at the liquidation sale, it didn’t leave me thinking man I missed out on something great. Just another pin. Could have had that one for $25-30k at auction.
    Even though you are still looking for the “big whale” John, start warming up Plan B in the bullpen now brother.

If he hangs around the NSLC on Tacoma Drive in Dartmouth he may run into Ricky and be able to persuade him into the IP rights.

Buy him a 40oz of Captain Morgan and a stick of pepperoni to get things started.

#574 1 year ago
    Quoted from WARLOCK:

I have never been "down-voted" ever. Please re-read this thread and "up-post". Please and Thanks.
    I tried to stop this insanity very early on; and although I have been here for a decade or more.. Jeebuz...

Your first downvote in 7 years? You're doing Pinside wrong...

Congrats on the milestone. Talk to me when you get at least a handful of moderations.

#575 1 year ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Not to say all the parts weren’t there ready to go before the SEC stepped in. They were

Lol

#576 1 year ago
    Quoted from WARLOCK:

And finally, everyone "reasonable" is posting now on this thread topic.
    When "earlier in this thread" I was "down-voted" for trying to be realistic.

I had to down vote you here for over use of “quotes.” And, I have a sneaking suspicion that you’re a Leafs fan, or worse yet, a Blue Jays fan. Cito Sucks!!

#577 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

Persistence more than anything. I like that. Also his playfield and backglass knowledge.
    I'm not saying he would be in charge of anything, that's up to others to decide. Despite any of his faults, its my guess he'd make a hell of a team player.

So I actually agree with your point here. He has more persistence than Iceman pimping the soon to be next pinball fiasco. It is arguably his most admirable quality. I’d also say he is the seemingly most even keel pinsider I’ve ever encountered before. And finally belief in himself when no one else will validate, this is also potentially admirable.

The problem as it were is that you could say the same for JPOP. I mean who carries on for a good 10+ years earnestly believing he can and will get the job done despite all evidence arguing to the contrary.

Now maybe is GWJ gets enough shots on goal he could in fact get it done, after likely many trips and falls, and some luck thrown in. The problem is that he 1) underestimates the difficulty of what he is undertaking 2) overestimate his skill set to scale from playfield producer to director of full game production. 3) underestimates the cost and likely time required to get there.

Has he built a single game from scratch ever ? He has not. And frankly he cannot. I believe that’s closer to a statement of fact than opinion.

All that would be fine if he can keep reaching into the cookie jar for more money with each reset. But that is unlikely to come to pass here. And when it doesn’t come to pass bad things happen.

Persistence is key, amiable mess is super helpful, but it has to be paired with ability, and it is here where severe doubt arises despite his resume.

I mean I could say I can do a scratch game since I’m an electrical engineer, product designer, programmer, have done game full overhauls, have even designed games in vpin. But despite that knowledge I know I am not Danesi. And I also know that what I would produce if I got that far would be schlock. And finally I know my own inability to estimate time and expense required to finalize my own products (non pinball) And therefore I would never make the wild claims that John does because I know better.

GWJ doesn’t know better but he should after all this time in the industry. And that’s just sad.

#578 1 year ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

Your first downvote in 7 years? You're doing Pinside wrong...
    Congrats on the milestone. Talk to me when you get at least a handful of moderations.

Or, you could send him here.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ask-beelzeboob

beezelb (resized).pngbeezelb (resized).png
    #579 1 year ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Could have had that one for $25-30k at auction.

Is that what the working RAZA went for? Wow! I guess someone was buying the story that comes with the game.

#580 1 year ago

I heard that one had no hard drive.

#581 1 year ago

Speaking of hard drives… John do you have a person in mind who is going to do the code?

#582 1 year ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

Is that what the working RAZA went for? Wow! I guess someone was buying the story that comes with the game.

No. It went for significantly less.

#583 1 year ago
    Quoted from blueberryjohnson:

No. It went for significantly less.

Did it include software?

#584 1 year ago
    Quoted from ViperVS:

Did it include software?

I don't know. But since the guy who bought it owns the company that did the software, it very likely doesn't matter.

#585 1 year ago
    Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Speaking of hard drives… John do you have a person in mind who is going to do the code?

Yes I do along with all the needed help to get it done. The pimped out version for $100k US would get a real pinball designer & artist from the past. Lots of new stuff, & ideas for a one of a kind Trailer Park Boys pinball machine. My focus is still on finding the one Big Whale investor the next 2 weeks. If not I will lay out Plan B, & the hunt for mini whales which will be a lot easier to find.

#586 1 year ago

How much do you think a "real" and "big" pinball designer is going to charge for an all new design? Give us a ballpark number, John.

#587 1 year ago

You figure it out for yourself. What ever I say here you guys will go crazy anyways.

#588 1 year ago

After giving this topic lots of thought (2-3 minutes) I realized it can be boiled down to this: John, if you had the $100,000 in your piggy bank and decided to make a blinged out TPB on on your own, do YOU think it would sell for $100,000.

#589 1 year ago

Pooky hit on the points of a difficult to produce product and how personal limitations will impact this project. These sum up many large roadblocks this plan already faces. He also praises GWJ’s persistence and ablility to deliver various products. Final mention of the criticism GWJ is receivingfor his plan A - to find a whale.

I point out that GWJ is lucky to be receiving criticism of his approach and plan. If GWJ can listen to feedback and if he can adjust his strategy, he may find one that will work. Nobody thinks it is possible for GWJ to find a whale with $100k who will then pay GWJ to produce a one off game with no rights to design (period). GWJ to accept that plan’s A, B and C are fatally flawed.

GWJ should not not give up on his dream to build a game. Rather it is time to come up with a better plan. When you come up with a good plan, people will be willing to help and criticism will be less fatal. When your plan can’t be critiqued as flawed from the start then it might be possible. All you need to do is come up with a plan that makes sense and then proceed on it.

#590 1 year ago

Yes I do. But the problem is you have to find that one investor that believes & wants that title. There is still another 2 weeks to go. Still on the hunt for that one person that has no problems with $100k US purchase. The bar is set extremely high!

#591 1 year ago

You figure it out for yourself. What ever I say here you guys will go crazy anyways.

Muzzel, John, muzzel

Hannibal_Lecter_in_Silence_of_the_Lambs (resized).jpgHannibal_Lecter_in_Silence_of_the_Lambs (resized).jpg
    #592 1 year ago

Yes I do. But the problem is you have to find that one investor that believes & wants that title. There is still another 2 weeks to go. Still on the hunt for that one person that has no problems with $100k US purchase. The bar is set extremely high!

Why do you keep saying investor? An investor gets a return on their money. That is not how you have this set up. You are looking for a buyer. At 100k, you are looking for a sucker.

#593 1 year ago

Let's say that Plan A or Plan B actually happen.
    Game or games are done or nearly done.
    Disaster strikes.
    Flood, tornado, fire, hurricane, vandalism, transportation disaster, whatever.
    Not the fault or plan of GWJ, but unplanned, random disaster.
    What then?
    Whales just lose? GWJ somehow comes up with the funds to repeat the build?
    Don't say insurance, because no insuance company will cover this scheme.

#594 1 year ago

the hunt for mini whales which will be a lot easier to find.

Doubt it

#595 1 year ago

. My focus is still on finding the one Big Whale investor the next 2 weeks. If not I will lay out Plan B, & the hunt for mini whales which will be a lot easier to find.

So in other words, this doesn't end in 2 weeks, and goes on forever.

I thought there was a light at the end of the tunnel. But that would be far too easy.

Why is Big Whale capitalized but mini whale isn't?

#596 1 year ago

I’m curious if he has his talking points on macros to make it easier to post the exact same thing over and over.

I think that bothers me more than the insane plan to get someone to buy a $100K Trailer Park Boys game.

#597 1 year ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

Yeah could have been the software guy that bought the insurance policies.

And I was watching the final bid countdown. Yes it did go for that plus the buyers premium.

I picked up some great top of the line gym equipment on sale about 75% off, espresso bike, 2 elipticals (one for brother)

So while I didn’t get a pin I got healthy and saved a bunch of $$$ in the process.

And then there is the missing LE that somehow got lost

#598 1 year ago

Plan A July, Plan B August, or Die September 1 this year. Do not know how to explain the end date any easier than that.

#599 1 year ago

Plan A July, Plan B August, or Die September 1 this year. Do not know how to explain the end date any easier than that.

Could you provide a project road map?

#600 1 year ago
    Quoted from jp1985:

Could you provide a project road map?

He will, for $100K... USD

There are 10,636 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 213.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/moby-dick-let-s-talk-whales-and-whale-watching/page/12?hl=greenhornet and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.