Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 10,636 posts
  • 267 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by BeachPickle
  • Topic is favorited by 72 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Trailer Trash-the Pin. The GWJ Chronicles”

• John finds the big whale and makes 1 "super LE CE Bling" Trailer Park Boys pin 17 votes
      11%
    • John finds 10 small whales and makes 10 "pro style homebrew type" Trailer Park Boys pins 11 votes
      7%
    • John buys an aquarium to pass the time until his dreams are realized 128 votes
      82%

(156 votes)

This poll has been closed.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

closed.gif
    EBC73878-BC53-4200-A2B6-C2F2E0527AAC (resized).jpeg
    F982508F-9554-4C5F-B499-531394F6F6C6 (resized).jpeg
    4E248FC9-0974-462E-9242-503735D9F3F4 (resized).jpeg
    2D3AED4E-728C-423B-AA1A-BC65047C5B9A.gif
    OTR.gif
    IMG_0355 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0363 (resized).JPG
    popcorns.gif
    IMG_0360 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0362 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0359 (resized).JPG
    worlds_worst_coach_trucker_hat-rcabf536f37e04dbc8095021b9983cf42_eahwj_8byvr_630 (resized).jpg
    7B29A5B0-680F-4306-A606-5CB78CED39B3_4_5005_c (resized).jpeg
    34C7A3AA-F74D-481F-8084-39C43A1199C7 (resized).jpeg
    93BD3918-24E8-44BF-A93F-1AB39CB7D00D (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

9 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

This topic is closed.

There are 10,636 posts in this topic. You are on page 123 of 213.
    #6101 1 year ago

Seems like a great time to make metal ball guides while you wait for the electronic parts. They don't care about how thick your wood panel scraps are

#6102 1 year ago

Even your flag is warning you about your timeline... tick tock!

rum (resized).pngrum (resized).png

#6103 1 year ago

Also while you're doing this, check how the ball trough and dual manual/auto ball launch assymbly sit next to each other. It's a very tight tolerance to get them to sit next to each other the right way.

F3843FEE-F7A7-4ACE-B51D-BF367BAA70DF (resized).jpegF3843FEE-F7A7-4ACE-B51D-BF367BAA70DF (resized).jpeg
    #6104 1 year ago

Also while I'm killing time before my 3oclock, a moment to think about skill shots

Skill shots are one of the most important parts of the game. It's how you start every ball after all. Also it needs to take advantage of the layout which would allow the player to get a ball back into the shooter for a chance at another skill shot (boo games that autolaunch instead of letting you take another skillshot)

With a manual plunger I see a few interesting things that a coder could try to do...

Strobing lit drop target - A Steve Ritchie hallmark. Hit the moving lit drop target from the plunge. Example Elvis

Plunge to the left outlane. Classic example Congo

Plunge to the left inlane rollovers. I can't think of an example where you get a skillshot for plunging into an inlane. Probably on some Elwin skillshots (or you can soft plunge and then shatz the star, I know Iron Maiden has a secret shatz skillshot)

Plunge to left slingshot and then into the right outlane - the you fucked up super secret skill shot

Soft plunge to a flipper. Shoot any major shot. Maybe you can start comboing the right spinner that feeds the left flipper?

#6105 1 year ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

It's called sarcasm.

It WAS pretty damn funny!

Quoted from vdojaq:

Not really. Older , heavy males are using these things everywhere. As I raise my hand.

Jesus christ man! Why so mad?! Have you ever physically lifted the man?

#6106 1 year ago

Got the target bank & sling areas mostly done. That is about it for the day. Already scraped my arm on the ball trough metal.

IMG_0048 (resized).JPGIMG_0048 (resized).JPGIMG_0049 (resized).JPGIMG_0049 (resized).JPG
    #6107 1 year ago
    Quoted from greatwichjohn:

Got the target bank & sling areas mostly done. That is about it for the day. Already scraped my arm on the ball trough metal.
    [quoted image][quoted image]

Any quotes from Bryan Kelly are good. Never had a beer with him. Maybe a future show.

#6108 1 year ago

I can't wait to see the wood panel white-wood ball roll straight down the joints (or the airballs from hitting the lip) At least you didn't put a joint SDTM, or maybe it would have been "better" that way. Old school designers would applaud your novel way to get ball times down to a minimum lol

#6109 1 year ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

I can't wait to see the wood panel white-wood ball roll straight down the joints (or the airballs from hitting the lip) At least you didn't put a joint SDTM, or maybe it would have been "better" that way. Old school designers would applaud your novel way to get ball times down to a minimum lol

It is not a joint in the panel, just illusion.

#6110 1 year ago

It is not a joint in the panel, just illusion.

Lol, even better that the groove is just printed instead of cut

#6111 1 year ago

I giggled when I saw the stand-up targets poking out of the paneling... not sure why. Maybe the irony?

saved (resized).pngsaved (resized).png
    #6112 1 year ago

Still thinking what to put in next to upper right flipper. Might be another pop bumper as suggested or scoop:
    https://www.pinballlife.com/scoop-weldment-assembly-with-open-back.html

IMG_0050 (resized).JPGIMG_0050 (resized).JPG
    #6113 1 year ago

Still thinking what to put in next to upper right flipper. Might be another pop bumper as suggested or scoop:
    [quoted image]

A saucer behind the upper flipper would be cool. Only accessable when the flippers up and ejects into right inlane. Not sure the geometry is there without some tweaks.

Could be used as a skill shot with a weak plunge from the back. Always exciting to enter through the back!

#6114 1 year ago
    Quoted from Dee-Bow:

It WAS pretty damn funny!

Jesus christ man! Why so mad?! Have you ever physically lifted the man?

Once again, way off base there clown nuts! I was saying I use one myself.

Oh, have you personally met John? Let me answer it for you.....No.....you have not.

Wow, what a sad and mentally challenged person you continually demonstrate yourself to be.

Ignorance is bliss?

#6115 1 year ago

For those who need a visual when providing unsolicited feedback

56F5D835-2124-40EC-B3BF-E7E81358D388 (resized).jpeg56F5D835-2124-40EC-B3BF-E7E81358D388 (resized).jpeg

Pop is different

BDF8D4A5-2173-4052-8D24-6CB3A433FFDD (resized).jpegBDF8D4A5-2173-4052-8D24-6CB3A433FFDD (resized).jpeg

Not a very easy angle to shoot, but shatz?

8B052924-6C12-4CF5-B1CE-0F80404B0B00 (resized).jpeg8B052924-6C12-4CF5-B1CE-0F80404B0B00 (resized).jpeg

Can short plunge for a skillshot (and maybe shatz?)

I vote pop…

#6116 1 year ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

For those who need a visual when providing unsolicited feedback
    [quoted image]
    Pop is different
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]
    Can short plunge for a skillshot (and maybe shatz?)
    I vote pop…

Not a scoop, a saucer.

#6117 1 year ago
    Quoted from Beechwood:

Not a scoop, a saucer.

I don't think you'd get a ball to stick in a saucer there? At least not easily. Also I don't feel like digging out an extra saucer mech from my parts bin...

#6118 1 year ago

[quoted image]

Forgive my ignorance as I have not done this before but wouldn’t it be easier just to glue and screw thru those plans rather than cut them all up?

#6119 1 year ago
    Quoted from LORDDREK:

Forgive my ignorance as I have not done this before but wouldn’t it be easier just to glue and screw thru those plans rather than cut them all up?

Brings back memories of grade primary. Getting old & need some comedy using tiny knife scissors, & big scissors. Both types I seem to suck at. Plus a good laugh using drill bits & saber saw on mdf. You get the general feel of the layout. Not up to Dennis Nordman foam board layouts.

I will get the real whitewood cut by cnc & let the sign shop do the inputs for layout.

#6120 1 year ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

It's an "Alley Pass", not a "Shatz". Calling the move implies that Neil Shatz invented the move and he didn't!

I invented the skill in the 1970s and taught Rick Stetta the move in the 1980s. Rick taught Neil the move. Some podcaster saw Neil make the move many years later and without researching its origin, called it a "Shatz".

#6121 1 year ago
    Quoted from pinballguru:

It's an "Alley Pass", not a "Shatz". Calling the move implies that Neil Shatz invented the move and he didn't!
    I invented the skill in the 1970s and taught Rick Stetta the move in the 1980s. Rick taught Neil the move. Some podcaster saw Neil make the move many years later and without researching its origin, called it a "Shatz".

Yes I think I am leaning towards the hard shot & metal. Maybe get the ball trapped behind the flipper & steel. I will see when I get ordered along with extra pop bumper. I like Jon use of lots of metal rails in the game.

#6122 1 year ago

Yes I think I am leaning towards the hard shot & metal. Maybe get the ball trapped behind the flipper & steel. I will see when I get ordered along with extra pop bumper. I like Jon use of lots of metal rails in the game.

Watch the footprint for upper flipper unit on underside. I do think that a scoop can fit but it may require some minor layout modifications. (Same for a Pop Bumper).

#6123 1 year ago
    Quoted from pinballguru:

Watch the footprint for upper flipper unit on underside. I do think that a scoop can fit but it may require some minor layout modifications. (Same for a Pop Bumper).

Yes Jon it is interesting to see what might work. I want 95 - 98% of the layout to remain your design. Very interesting & I have some stuff to add myself hopefully in the rule set. The coach did not call today, maybe this week. Like I say things are slowly moving along & will pick up the pace October on. The plan is still for 2 or more games (different themes) for SXSW & TPF in March.

The coach is watching a game, we will talk some time this week. Beer count today 6.

#6124 1 year ago
    Quoted from pinballguru:

What was Rick Stetta like as a player? Only saw him on a few videos, but never in action. He was before my time.

#6125 1 year ago
    Quoted from Methos:

What was Rick Stetta like as a player? Only saw him on a few videos, but never in action. He was before my time.

In his prime, Stetta was the best. I was there when he won Expo 90 and 91. He was amazing in accuracy and saves. Always a big influence in my playing, not seen him in a long time now, wonder how he’s doing?

#6126 1 year ago
    Quoted from pinballguru:

I've heard players claim they first started using the shot in the 60's.

Players have been calling it shatzing the inlanes for at least 20 years, i doubt anyone is going to stop. I think the PinPin vids from Trailer Tom made in the early-mid 2000's nicknamed the shot after Neil because he was the one doing it the most/best back then.

1979 Atari Road Runner has dedicated Alley Pass/Shatz targets. I don't know of anything earlier than that, but the shot was most commonly used for collecting extra balls on lit inlanes.
    Screenshot_20220926-220824_Chrome (resized).jpgScreenshot_20220926-220824_Chrome (resized).jpg

#6127 1 year ago
    Quoted from sanctumwear:

Players have been calling it shatzing the inlanes for at least 20 years, i doubt anyone is going to stop. I think the PinPin vids from Trailer Tom made in the early-mid 2000's nicknamed the shot after Neil because he was the one doing it the most/best back then.
    1979 Atari Road Runner has dedicated Alley Pass/Shatz targets. I don't know of anything earlier than that, but the shot was most commonly used for collecting extra balls on lit inlanes.
    [quoted image]

I played Gulfstream (1972) that has Extra Ball lit in return lanes. Easy alley pass to collect it, Then a few years later, Bally Hi Deal also had extra ball in return lanes (I played a lot of Hi Deal). Obviously, these weren't designed-in like Atari Road Runner (1979). I had been making alley passes for many years when Road Runner was made. (I never remember playing Atari Road Runner)

I never saw anybody make an alley pass before me.

#6128 1 year ago
    Quoted from sanctumwear:

[quoted image]

Who are those players? I think that we should name the move after one of those players, not after someone who didn't invent it!

#6129 1 year ago
    Quoted from Methos:

Rick would show up every now and then at Bobcat Batteries in San Jose for free Thursday night pinball. This was maybe 20 years ago. I remember playing Dolly Parton with him and a couple of things that impressed me were the following:

1) His ability to nudge the game when the ball was in the upper playfield so that he never seemed to get into trouble.
    2) He let the machine do much of the work, letting the ball bounce off the flippers with some accompanying nudges before flipping.

I don't remember him doing many of the flipper tricks that are common today, like drop catches, etc..

#6130 1 year ago

I used to say alley pass but so many say shatz it has stuck in my mind. Also shatz is a fun monosyllabic sound

#6131 1 year ago

Were games like Jacks Open and Grand Prix designed with suicide alley pass lanes on purpose to stop that behavior, or was the intention to give the player a way to save outlane balls? Or both?

#6132 1 year ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

I used to say alley pass but so many say shatz it has stuck in my mind. Also shatz is a fun monosyllabic sound

Oops, I think I just Shatz myself!

#6133 1 year ago

Still no power in areas & not much stock at the stores. So I hit the bar for 4 beers & tnt pepperoni. Got a soaker walking to the workshop. You still hear home generators running everywhere. Only about 40% without power since Friday night.

#6134 1 year ago

Storms are getting more severe, next up Ian a Cat 4-5 beast set to slam Florida

#6135 1 year ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

Also while you're doing this, check how the ball trough and dual manual/auto ball launch assymbly sit next to each other. It's a very tight tolerance to get them to sit next to each other the right way.
    [quoted image]

Holy Momma, that's a scary nest of ribbon wiring! What game is that? Homebrew? Looks like it would be a challenge to work through all those wire ribbons!

#6136 1 year ago
    Quoted from homebrood:

Holy Momma, that's a scary nest of ribbon wiring! What game is that? Homebrew? Looks like it would be a challenge to work through all those wire ribbons!

They're messy but not so bad once you bundle them out of the way. I could do it a lot cleaner, but haven't really cared about making it look nicer. It's mostly a learning project game that I'll either do another iteration on (and wire it better next time) or start something else fresh.

The ribbon cables are handy though if you don't mind paying a bit more. I think there's 56 RGB LEDs on those ribbon connectors. So that saved me from doing 448 crimps? (on top of the hundreds I already did for other things)

Worth the money for my sanity...

#6137 1 year ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

They're messy but not so bad once you bundle them out of the way. I could do it a lot cleaner, but haven't really cared about making it look nicer. It's mostly a learning project game that I'll either do another iteration on (and wire it better next time) or start something else fresh.
    The ribbon cables are handy though if you don't mind paying a bit more. I think there's 56 RGB LEDs on those ribbon connectors. So that saved me from doing 448 crimps? (on top of the hundreds I already did for other things)
    Worth the money for my sanity...

Hey if it works it works, it works. I have never attempted anything close to that involved, but very cool!

#6138 1 year ago
    Quoted from homebrood:

Hey if it works it works, it works. I have never attempted anything close to that involved, but very cool!

Try it out. Homebrewing makes you appreciate what the pros pull off all the more. I have a drastically different perspective when looking at games now.

#6139 1 year ago
    Quoted from Methos:

I met Rick in the early 1980s when I lived in San Jose, Ca. Rick and I were both expert-level pinball players in an era before organized pinball tournaments. We would regularly go out and play pinball together. Our haunts were Galactic 2 arcade, Golfland Sunnyvale, and another arcade in Mountain View (Forget its name). One time, we were playing flipper-flipper on kings of Steel and I was playing the right flipper. I would alley pass the ball to Rick since the game has a gate to prevent the ball from 'Moonwalking', and Rick would nail the right progressive standup target feature.

I moved to Chicago to start my pinball career at Gottlieb and with pinball expo tournament, now there was finally an annual pinball competition. Rick would fly-in to compete. Rick was an excellent shot maker and ended up winning the tournament several times during the late 1980s. I won the tournament one time. Going into the 1990s, Rick no longer competed for reasons I don't know why. Rick was the best player from the first generation of competitive pinball play.

#6140 1 year ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

Sounds like someone maybe had an accident when I hear the term...

#6141 1 year ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

They're messy but not so bad once you bundle them out of the way.

You can't daisy chain those lights? Are they not addressable?

#6142 1 year ago

I found the trailer for the unfinished Rick Stetta documentary:

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3uip22

#6143 1 year ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

Shatz is a great descriptive word for it!!

#6144 1 year ago
    Quoted from frolic:

I found the trailer for the unfinished Rick Stetta documentary:
    https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3uip22

that was awesome ...... and are we geeks of all geeks

#6145 1 year ago
    Quoted from Palmer:

Sure, you just say "Hello Lights!"

#6146 1 year ago
    Quoted from Palmer:

I'm using parallel driven lamps under the playfield and not daisy chain. On the playing surface I have serial RGB LEDs for stadium-like lighting. It's one of the benefits to the P3-ROC. You can do parallel lamps or serial lamps with the PD-LED. (Or don't use the PD-LED and use a FadeCandy or similar)

#6147 1 year ago

daisy Chain? what is that ...i get the connection part, but why the name Daisy?

#6148 1 year ago
    Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

daisy Chain? what is that ...i get the connection part, but why the name Daisy?

because daisy flowers used to be tied together, that's just the name that stuck

#6149 1 year ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

because daisy flowers used to be tied together, that's just the name that stuck

ok cool thx Trey
    Debbie chain would be better

#6150 1 year ago
    Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

ok cool thx Trey
    Debbie chain would be better

Or this from the Urban Dictionary:

daisey chain
    A daisy chain is a line of people joined end to end (or front to back) in sexual union. The Roman Emperor Tiberius (14-37 AD) was a big fan of the practice and frequently incorporated it in his public orgies. The number of participants in these affairs is sketchy, but a reasonable estimate is about thirty or so.

Oh my....

There are 10,636 posts in this topic. You are on page 123 of 213.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/moby-dick-let-s-talk-whales-and-whale-watching/page/123 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.