Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 10,636 posts
  • 267 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by BeachPickle
  • Topic is favorited by 72 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Trailer Trash-the Pin. The GWJ Chronicles”

• John finds the big whale and makes 1 "super LE CE Bling" Trailer Park Boys pin 17 votes
      11%
    • John finds 10 small whales and makes 10 "pro style homebrew type" Trailer Park Boys pins 11 votes
      7%
    • John buys an aquarium to pass the time until his dreams are realized 128 votes
      82%

(156 votes)

This poll has been closed.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

closed.gif
    EBC73878-BC53-4200-A2B6-C2F2E0527AAC (resized).jpeg
    F982508F-9554-4C5F-B499-531394F6F6C6 (resized).jpeg
    4E248FC9-0974-462E-9242-503735D9F3F4 (resized).jpeg
    2D3AED4E-728C-423B-AA1A-BC65047C5B9A.gif
    OTR.gif
    IMG_0355 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0363 (resized).JPG
    popcorns.gif
    IMG_0360 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0362 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0359 (resized).JPG
    worlds_worst_coach_trucker_hat-rcabf536f37e04dbc8095021b9983cf42_eahwj_8byvr_630 (resized).jpg
    7B29A5B0-680F-4306-A606-5CB78CED39B3_4_5005_c (resized).jpeg
    34C7A3AA-F74D-481F-8084-39C43A1199C7 (resized).jpeg
    93BD3918-24E8-44BF-A93F-1AB39CB7D00D (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

9 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

This topic is closed.

There are 10,636 posts in this topic. You are on page 104 of 213.
    #5151 1 year ago
    Quoted from greatwichjohn:

Enjoy drinking beer until my doctor has serious concerns.

by the time he has serious concerns .... it's usually too late to do anything

#5152 1 year ago
    Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

by the time he has serious concerns .... it's usually too late to do anything

Or like how my wife, who is a doctor, describes some patients...you just do what you can because they're set in their ways

She was telling me about an old timer who came in the other day. He'd been sitting around depressed for several months. He didn't take his boots off a single time in that period. His flesh had begun to rot and fuse to the boot. They took the boot off, did what they could, and sent him along his way.

Can't tell you how many old alcoholics she's seen at the VA hospital. Best you can do is try to get them to be honest about how much they consume to write in their notes so the next doctor has an idea of what to expect.

People don't change unless they want to. A doctor's time is too valuable to preach to an unreceptive patient or devise an action plan that they know won't be followed.

#5153 1 year ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

Can't tell you how many old alcoholics she's seen at the VA hospital. Best you can do is try to get them to be honest about how much they consume to write in their notes so the next doctor has an idea of what to expect.
    People don't change unless they want to. A doctor's time is too valuable to preach to an unreceptive patient or devise an action plan that they know won't be followed.

I believe it.

A family member was recently diagnosed with hepatitis of the liver, which is a death sentence. Young too. But the sympathy level at first from the Physicians were non existence. They basically said go home and die.

He's fought back and finally got on the list for donated organs - but his team told us that he is in the minority. Now they want him be a speaker to other patients because he quit and is trying to change his life. Most of them - even those that don't need a transplant and could reverse the damage, just kept on drinking and killed themselves. The way I look at is there are too many people on earth anyway, so if some choose to end it early by their behavior, so be it.

#5154 1 year ago
    Quoted from Methos:

I believe it.
    A family member was recently diagnosed with hepatitis of the liver, which is a death sentence. Young too. But the sympathy level at first from the Physicians were non existence. They basically said go home and die.
    He's fought back and finally got on the list for donated organs - but his team told us that he is in the minority. Now they want him be a speaker to other patients because he quit and is trying to change his life. Most of them - even those that don't need a transplant and could reverse the damage, just kept on drinking and killed themselves. The way I look at is there are too many people on earth anyway, so if some choose to end it early by their behavior, so be it.

My wife's mentor told her this parable when she was feeling a bit down early on:

Once upon a time, there was an old man who used to go to the ocean to do his writing. He had a habit of walking on the beach every morning before he began his work. Early one morning, he was walking along the shore after a big storm had passed and found the vast beach littered with starfish as far as the eye could see, stretching in both directions.

Off in the distance, the old man noticed a small boy approaching. As the boy walked, he paused every so often and as he grew closer, the man could see that he was occasionally bending down to pick up an object and throw it into the sea. The boy came closer still and the man called out, “Good morning! May I ask what it is that you are doing?”

The young boy paused, looked up, and replied “Throwing starfish into the ocean. The tide has washed them up onto the beach and they can’t return to the sea by themselves,” the youth replied. “When the sun gets high, they will die, unless I throw them back into the water.”

The old man replied, “But there must be tens of thousands of starfish on this beach. I’m afraid you won’t really be able to make much of a difference.”

The boy bent down, picked up yet another starfish and threw it as far as he could into the ocean. Then he turned, smiled and said, “It made a difference to that one!”

#5155 1 year ago

I remember the days people were only concerned with people holding a forty of hard liquor passed out in their hand. Or passed out on the ground, hopefully did not piss their pants. Remember a lot of poor drunkards could not make it to or into the paddy wagon with out assistance. My friend like I said previously when visiting Emergency the doctor would say you need to ease up on your drinking.
    Always made it home safely, never passed out in my life, & not dependent on drinking beer or any other alcoholic beverage. So continue on with the concerns about my health. Drinking beer is not a concern for me, my doctor, or the numerous bars or barcades I frequent. Let the crusade continue, might have to visit my local bar to relax with a few before going out for the Friday night social. Play pinball & drink some Bud cans! Watch people smoke their legal weed, or puff away on e cigs, or the dedicated smokers of cigars or real smokes. I might see some people with worse weight problems or health issues then what I suffer from.

#5156 1 year ago

Yeah all the long diatribes about the perils of drinking are getting depressing. I drink and sometimes a lot. Take a few days a week off from it. Work full time and am 60. Been drinking beer since I was 15. Liver is still fine... Go play pinball and drink some beer it's fun!

#5157 1 year ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

My wife's mentor told her this parable when she was feeling a bit down early on:
    Once upon a time, there was an old man who used to go to the ocean to do his writing. He had a habit of walking on the beach every morning before he began his work. Early one morning, he was walking along the shore after a big storm had passed and found the vast beach littered with starfish as far as the eye could see, stretching in both directions.
    Off in the distance, the old man noticed a small boy approaching. As the boy walked, he paused every so often and as he grew closer, the man could see that he was occasionally bending down to pick up an object and throw it into the sea. The boy came closer still and the man called out, “Good morning! May I ask what it is that you are doing?”
    The young boy paused, looked up, and replied “Throwing starfish into the ocean. The tide has washed them up onto the beach and they can’t return to the sea by themselves,” the youth replied. “When the sun gets high, they will die, unless I throw them back into the water.”
    The old man replied, “But there must be tens of thousands of starfish on this beach. I’m afraid you won’t really be able to make much of a difference.”
    The boy bent down, picked up yet another starfish and threw it as far as he could into the ocean. Then he turned, smiled and said, “It made a difference to that one!”

This story would be more feasible if the old man and young boy roles were reversed. The old man should be more wise than the kid.

#5158 1 year ago
    Quoted from Beechwood:

This story would be more feasible if the old man and young boy roles were reversed. The old man should be more wise than the kid.

Well you could also say it's the wisdom and innocence of children who haven't been beaten down by the world yet vs a practical adult who thinks it's all futile.

#5159 1 year ago

When you get older, less likely you are bending over a lot. If you got any health issues you are lucky to walk without a cane or walker. People are getting lazy, lots of people using electric assisted everything. The young kids need to get more physical work outs.
    Even when I was younger & playing pinball for hours you got a work out. Standing up, shaking the game, & all the other good stuff. Like actually walking miles to the bowling alleys or arcades.

#5160 1 year ago

Let the crusade continue, might have to visit my local bar to relax with a few before going out for the Friday night social. Play pinball & drink some Bud cans! Watch people smoke their legal weed, or puff away on e cigs, or the dedicated smokers of cigars or real smokes.

*checks day 9 of production calendar* *confirms task list is correct*

#5161 1 year ago

When you get older, less likely you are bending over a lot. If you got any health issues you are lucky to walk without a cane or walker. People are getting lazy, lots of people using electric assisted everything. The young kids need to get more physical work outs.
    Even when I was younger & playing pinball for hours you got a work out. Standing up, shaking the game, & all the other good stuff. Like actually walking miles to the bowling alleys or arcades.

Pounding on playfield glass is a hell of a workout for those forearms!

#5162 1 year ago

this thread is as much about building pinball as it is about building better pinsiders

#5163 1 year ago
    Quoted from blueberryjohnson:

*checks day 9 of production calendar* *confirms task list is correct*

Was another task attempted today? Or are we holding until the next attempt to print the file next week, or not?

#5164 1 year ago

I feel like a starfish in this thread, washed up on a beach.

#5165 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

I feel like a starfish in this thread, washed up on a beach.

Better hope a kid comes along because the old fart gonna let you die in the sun!

#5166 1 year ago
    Quoted from parsonsaj:

Was another task attempted today? Or are we holding until the next attempt to print the file next week, or not?

Might as well be next week. Nothing happens on a Friday…

#5167 1 year ago
    Quoted from LORDDREK:

Might as well be next week. Nothing happens on a Friday…

Everything is going as planned, though... being off every Friday was doubtless already factored in.

#5168 1 year ago

We were all waiting with fierce anticipation on the quote from the printer. Then beer talk happened and everything went awry... again.

#5169 1 year ago

On the positive side I found a powder coater locally that will sandblast and powder coat pinball legs for $120. It’s a little on the high side but since there aren’t any other local powdercoaters I’m gonna give this a shot and see how it does. About $25 per leg is the going rate isn’t it?

These are for my Xenon restoration, going to do some more cabinet stenciling this weekend.

Beer count TBD.

#5170 1 year ago
    Quoted from parsonsaj:

I'm not sure which of the following have already been completed, are in progress, or are scheduled for later:

1. Visit local bar to relax with a few (beers)
    2. Go out for Friday night social
    3. Play pinball
    4. Drink some Bud cans
    5. Watch people smoke:
    5a. Marijuana
    5b. E-cigarettes
    5c. Cigars
    5d. Cigarettes

Does anyone have recommendations for project management software that could be used for this project, even if only by pinside for tracking and visualization?

#5171 1 year ago

Microsoft Project is a bit bare bones, but solid for making a Gantt chart

#5172 1 year ago
    Quoted from Beechwood:

We were all waiting with fierce anticipation on the quote from the printer. Then beer talk happened and everything went awry... again.

I paid 11 bucks for mine. No quote needed. Just showed up, opened wallet, and walked out with a roll under my arm. Crazy and impulsive I know…

#5173 1 year ago
    Quoted from LORDDREK:

I paid 11 bucks for mine. No quote needed. Just showed up, opened wallet, and walked out with a roll under my arm. Crazy and impulsive I know…

Yeah, buying beer isn't that complicated.
    Ooohhhhh......... You mean getting a print run.

#5174 1 year ago

I'm not sure which of the following have already been completed, are in progress, or are scheduled for later:
    3. Play pinball
    4. Drink some Bud cans
    5. Watch people smoke:
    5a. Marijuana
    5b. E-cigarettes
    5c. Cigars
    5d. Cigarettes
    Does anyone have recommendations for project management software that could be used for this project, even if only by pinside for tracking and visualization?

I really liked the weekly synopsis format. Really sums up the efficiency of this project quite well.

#5175 1 year ago
    Quoted from LORDDREK:

I really liked the weekly synopsis format. Really sums up the efficiency of this project quite well.

Agree. Hopefully that becomes a recurring feature. Though my sympathies to the poster having to consolidate for that summary when all of the above is but for a single day.

#5176 1 year ago

Agree. Hopefully that becomes a recurring feature. Though my sympathies to the poster having to consolidate for that summary when all of the above is but for a single day.

It was a lot of work to look back on a weeks worth of posts. But I learned and am jotting notes for next weeks recap.

To be honest, things seem to have slowed since Coach disappeared.

#5177 1 year ago

I've heard good things about a 12 Step Program.

#5178 1 year ago

You guys are over thinking this first test board. Wait until next week when I show you the magic of my thought process. I save the good plywood for later.

GWJ you got us all full of anticipation last week with this statement. Are we gonna see something this week? Did we get the quote from the printer today? Is coach still alive? SO many unanswered questions!

That's it, time to start drinkin' for this boy.

#5179 1 year ago

Jon Norris came through with the new printer, that has a sister company that does large format printing for blue prints. Costing will be done on Friday for approval. Then I should have a print in hand next week if they are not too busy. On my first Guinness from the coach out of the pop machine. Just got back from moving a large vid to the mall location.

I had to export the DWG file to SVG format to be opened by Adobe Illustrator.

#5180 1 year ago

I got my pork chops on the electric grill starting to cook, great deal about $1.50. Finished my Hot Genoa salami & rolls for lunch, & had a treat of a sandwich for $3 this morning. Just got back from 3 beers at my local with tip $4 each. Got to see the iron workers put the finishing touches on the crane boom.
    I will see the quote tonight & it will likely be way more than some cheap print job. thanks Jon I think we are good to go with a print next week, & get the build under way. Like I have said the coach is enjoying his Vegas vacation & will talk with him next week. I will enjoy my supper & bus it to my Friday night pinball social & drinker.

IMG_0021 (resized).JPGIMG_0021 (resized).JPG
    #5181 1 year ago

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

Screen Shot 2022-09-09 at 11.29.28 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2022-09-09 at 11.29.28 AM (resized).png

#5182 1 year ago
    Quoted from Beechwood:

To be honest, things seem to have slowed since Coach disappeared.

As a fan of the team since its founding, I have to admit it's discouraging that Coach went awol just before week one of the season.

#5183 1 year ago

Very tasty pork chops with my best before 2017 BBQ sauce. I use to BBQ with lighter fluid & charcoal that is probably more cancer risk. Growing up we use to cook hot dogs on a open fire at the cottage, the good old times. Now you are scared that you might catch the trees on fire.
    Got my diet Dr Pepper & had some potato chips from the monster $4 bag to finish off my supper. The Buds are standing by to finish the night.

The coach is pacing himself, plan is still ok for the build, until we hit a iceberg.

#5184 1 year ago

I came here for the pinball build drama..........but these supper updates are the real gem here.

Frequent grocery store hunts for bargain discounted meats, then bragging about consuming long expired products. Repulsive electric grill aluminum foil cooking methods that could result in a catastrophic explosive fireball. The pondering of what causes more cancer......carcinogens produced from open-flame grilling, or a lifetime of excessive cured meat nitrate consumption. It's just fascinating.

The unrelated side topics are just the icing on the cake. What a thread.

#5185 1 year ago

When does the coach return from LAS.. Harry Reid airport I believe? Eta ?

#5186 1 year ago

3. Play pinball
    4. Drink some Bud cans
    5. Watch people smoke:
    5a. Marijuana
    5b. E-cigarettes
    5c. Cigars
    5d. Cigarettes

Wecuse Backlog from nulab. Maybe we can create tasks for John, help him out a little. On the web and has an app too. We use it to track all our broken game issues.

https://nulab.com/products/backlog/

#5187 1 year ago
    Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

When does the coach return from LAS.. Harry Reid airport I believe? Eta ?

This fanbase needs one of those folks that track flights to try to figure such things out.

#5188 1 year ago

John can you advise the coaches return eta?, likely his head will still be feverish with football drafts picks and wine swinging ladies

#5189 1 year ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

I came here for the pinball build drama..........but these supper updates are the real gem here.
    Frequent grocery store hunts for bargain discounted meats, then bragging about consuming long expired products. Repulsive electric grill aluminum foil cooking methods that could result in a catastrophic explosive fireball. The pondering of what causes more cancer......carcinogens produced from open-flame grilling, or a lifetime of excessive cured meat nitrate consumption. It's just fascinating.

Like I've said, John is a Canadian treasure. Everything is going to plan!

#5190 1 year ago
    Quoted from Tranquilize:

Like I've said, John is a Canadian treasure. Everything is going to plan!

Quite possibly my current favorite Pinside topic.
    This is all such a charming tale and the kimono is not only see-through… it’s wide open…..

#5191 1 year ago

Why would someone cook beside a placardable hazard??

#5192 1 year ago
    20220909_193729 (resized).jpg20220909_193729 (resized).jpg
    #5193 1 year ago
    Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

These are the mysteries of life…

#5194 1 year ago
    Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

Folks need to learn not to ask "Why?" in this thread and just enjoy the trip.

#5195 1 year ago
    Quoted from greatwichjohn:The Buds are standing by to finish the night.

I'm ready for the weekend

images (resized).jpgimages (resized).jpg
    #5196 1 year ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Almost like he's playing you and everyone that upvoted your post like a fiddle. He keeps dropping bread crumbs and you keep following him along and eating them up like a pigeon. It's almost embarrassing how easy it is for him to troll you guys! well played John, have fun at the pinball social tonight and hope you & the wife have a great weekend!

#5197 1 year ago

I’m getting Ken M vibes.

#5198 1 year ago

Just got back from my social. Beer count today was 8. People have to work Saturdays so a early night. The coach will be back from Vegas next week. The print is only about $20. Here is Jon Norris file that works on my computer & the printer. The new target bank & fixed targets I will see how they fit when I get the print.

TT_Version_1F_PLAYFIELD_R14.pdfTT_Version_1F_PLAYFIELD_R14.pdf

#5199 1 year ago
    images.jpeg (resized).jpgimages.jpeg (resized).jpg
    #5200 1 year ago

I got my pork chops on the electric grill starting to cook

How long does it take to cook those chops on that electric grill?

There are 10,636 posts in this topic. You are on page 104 of 213.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/moby-dick-let-s-talk-whales-and-whale-watching/page/104 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.