Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0198 (resized).JPG
IMG_0197 (resized).JPG
IMG_0196 (resized).JPG
IMG_0195 (resized).JPG
#1 6 years ago

Hi,

It looks more like a carpenter problem, but who knows ...

I received a new speaker kit from pinball pro in order to replace the standard one.

The standard bass speaker in the cabinet is supported by a spacing wood block, that needs to be removed before you can put the new one. They state in their video it is pretty easy to remove this block

Yes, but first they have not considered that there is a built-in shaker in the LE, which prevents from removing the block like a MM Williams. Do I remove it or do I try another way ? Anyway, the block is firmly glued over the whole width, and stapled.

I obtain no result with a flat screw driver and I have no pry bar. Carefully with a wood chisel, I try to remove the block from the center hole. And this is the result. Cannot lift anything of the block, it is widely and strongly glued. I manage only to destroy it as this wood is a poor quality layered item.

Can anyone give some tip to remove this support block without damaging the box it self ? Got no answer yet from Pinball pro, hopefully they will react also.

Thanks in advance

IMG_0195 (resized).JPGIMG_0195 (resized).JPG

#2 6 years ago

The night has been really bad, it is a devastating feeling in front of this mess. But today, I have to go on ...

I tried with a hair dryer then heat gun, no success. Finally I went on with the wood chisel.

I take advantage of this "minor" installation problem to show the progress. It might be interesting to share some key moments of the restoration of a 2 months old LE machine.

IMG_0196 (resized).JPGIMG_0196 (resized).JPG
IMG_0197 (resized).JPGIMG_0197 (resized).JPG
IMG_0198 (resized).JPGIMG_0198 (resized).JPG

#3 6 years ago

Sorry to hear this has become such a mess, but thanks for sharing this. It sounds like buyers should avoid the big woofer upgrade.

#4 6 years ago

This ISSUE is a plate removal issue, which is required to fit any large speaker upgrade. There is certianly some skills required for install. This is not related to Pinball Pro speakers. ALL UPGRADES REQUIRE PLATE REMOVAL.

Just got up this am and saw your post, I did email you back Friday morning asking a few questions and to resend the photos that did not come through. Also receive your email very early this morning 3am that said you are very happy with the product and got it all installed, so I want to make sure you are doing okay!

It's too bad you didn't have a pry bar or large flat blade screw drive, I would not recommend a chisel, a chisel is a cutter. In this case the chisel cut into the cabinet.

Here Was the email I sent you upon waking this am prior to seeing this post "Thank you for the email letting me know you got it taken care of and are happy. The key is to work a flat bar or large flat blade screw driver under the plate and it typically pops right off. Do not dig into the cabinet itself. The plate is replaceable so if you damage the plate it's no problem.

Sounds like this one is good and stuck, in the case of using a chisel just keep it above the actual cabinet and chisel into the plate, not into the cabinet. Then you can just sand off the excess plate/glue and have a flat cabinet. I am sorry you are having trouble, let me know what more I can do to help. Happy to do so!"

Greg

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from nosro:

Sorry to hear this has become such a mess, but thanks for sharing this. It sounds like buyers should avoid the big woofer upgrade.

I have to disagree, due to the significant amount of very happy customers that have done this upgrade with no issue, the plate is sometimes difficult to remove, but it always comes off, the damage here was caused by the chisel, not the plate removal. It is important to keep the tool from gouging into the cabinet which is why I recommend a nice wide pry bar. Which will certainly pop off the plate without chiseling out the base cabinet. As the op stated, it may be more of a carpenter, problem

#6 6 years ago

Greg,

The only mail of yesterday was "Can't the bag just be moved? I can't figure out the picture at all, sorry". Yes indeed you sent another email to me today, as the work was done. But fine. I will not cry.

My point is that I had to do it with a crap solution. The instruction manual - video which let the reader think that he can succeed easily with a flat screwdriver or a pry bar. With none of these, I could have removed the block in a clean way. You can see on the pics that the block was solidly glued. The below block layer did not come at all. That is why there is so much damage at the end.

CGC confirmed to me that this block is glued and stapled. Maybe the glue was not fresh enough for this job.

I contacted a member who had the same machine as mine, he finally succeeded, by the coin door, to lift the block from the corner. It is a long time ago, maybe not long after the cabinet was assembled. I really encourage you to update your old WMS youtube video with a MMR LE and standard presentation.

That is alright now, even though it does not make me happy I will sand this and paint it black. At least the bass speaker works fine.

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from jimy_speedt:

Greg,
The only mail of yesterday was "Can't the bag just be moved? I can't figure out the picture at all, sorry". Yes indeed you sent the above email to me today, as the work was done. But fine. I will not cry.
My point is that I had to do it with a crap solution. The instruction manual - video which let the reader think that he can succeed easily with a flat screwdriver or a pry bar. With none of these, I could have removed the block in a clean way. You can see on the pics that the block was solidly glued. The below block layer did not come at all. That is why there is so much damage at the end.
CGC confirmed to me that this block is glued and stapled. Maybe the glue was not fresh enough for this job.
I contacted a member who had the same machine as mine, he finally succeeded, by the coin door, to lift the block from the corner. It is a long time ago, maybe the glue was not yet dry I really encourage you to update your old WMS youtube video with a MMR LE and standard presentation.
That is alright now, even though it does not make me happy. I will sand this and paint it black. At least the bass speaker works fine.

I will certainly do that, thanks for the advice. I have done several of the MMR personally with no issue, and some are more difficult that others no doubt. The damage caused to the game with the chisel should never have happened. I would not suggest using a chisel unless you are skilled enough with Your ability to safely do it.

Also, when you told me "there was a bag in the way". I did ask "can't you just move the bag?" I was confused a how a plastic bag interfered, just seeking clarification

#8 6 years ago

This experience is a big shit, but I have to admit, it is worth the effort. Especially for the bass ! Great

#9 6 years ago

I replaced my subwoofer and my block was not glued in nearly as well as yours, mine popped of with minimal effort and no damage. Sorry yours was not as easy :-/

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

I replaced my subwoofer and my block was not glued in nearly as well as yours, mine popped of with minimal effort and no damage. Sorry yours was not as easy :-/

yes it seems my pin was damned since I decided to purchase it Can write a book about it, that's life. At least I am the proud owner of nb 19

2 weeks later
#11 6 years ago

Glad you are happy with the sound or your Pinball Pro speakers, sorry to hear you had troubles with the carpenter work!

#12 6 years ago

No problem ovf,

I am so fed up with this machine, not because it is bad, but because all I get with this alleged super star is shit !!!!

All solved. I love Doug for its support, also MoP who made all things possible, also pinball pro for answering my questions, and the others ... but I will get rid of this machine. It makes me have bad dreams now.

Going back to my crappy roadshow renovation. And I am so glad !!!!

Hope the next one will not be aware of the pin history, only for mental purposes.

I thank you all for the support and hope to read everyone soon

1 month later
#13 6 years ago

Please post a video of sub removal from MMRLE or MMR with shaker. I have a pristine MMRLE and would like to ensure it remains that way after this mod. Thx.

#14 6 years ago

Hi,

Hope you are not asking me, cause the machine left one week after I solved all the issues. If you have specific questions I can answer, but for the vid, you d better open a new thread just remove the shaker cover, then unscrew the shaker. Now you can work as another MM without shaker.

#15 6 years ago

Thanks for the reply and advice. Was hoping that Greg from Pinball Pro would chime in... Cheers.

#16 6 years ago
Quoted from ViperNation:

Thanks for the reply and advice. Was hoping that Greg from Pinball Pro would chime in... Cheers.

Didn't see it until now,

uninstalling a shaker motor is 4 screws, you should be able to plainly see it.
As far as a video goes, my game already has my sub installed. So I don't have the means at this time. The plate is glued and stapled, It simply pays off with a pry bar, then clean up the wood or glue left behind with sand paper if needed.

Though plate removal is part of the install, it is not specific to Pinball Pro, Our kits are all plug and play, this kits is a bit more work requiring plate removal. We have had many customers buy this kit with no issues, but if you have doubts, do not attempt it.

Due to this post we are now offering a stock size subwoofer as an option, this will eliminate the need for removing the plate. Most choose the 8" upgrade but for those with concerns it is now available. It would also maintain stock set up.

#17 6 years ago

I think it's time to be clear! This issue is not Pinball Pro specific.

MMR is stock with a 6.5" woofer, purchasing this size is a direct replacement, 8" would require some custom work on your part. We are talking ANY BRAND of speaker. At least Pinball Pro explains what is necessary and provides information

There are many people doing speaker upgrades to MMR on Pinside, and many selecting speakers from a car audio store. These folks are also removing the plate when upgrading to a larger speaker. Alot of people have removed their plates problem free. While some may have found it more difficult.

If you buy Pinball Pro, Kicker, Alpine, I don't care, plate comes out. This plate removal is NOT BRAND SPECIFIC!

My online instructions and product description clearly states plate must be removed. If you have concerns, you might be better suited purchasing a smaller woofer as a direct replacement versus attempting custom work. One of the perk of Pinball Pro is that we help you and prepare you for what it needed to do the install. Support you would not receive when buying other speaker brands.

installing home surround speakers, do you blame Bose if you mess up drywall?
Installing car speakers, do you blame Alpine if you damage your door panel installing them?
Installing in a boat, do you blame kicker if you strip out your fiberglass?
Installing a spoiler on your car, and you drill the trunk wrong?

When in doubt of your own skills, hire a professional.

#18 6 years ago
Quoted from ovfdfireman:

Due to this post we are now offering a stock size subwoofer as an option, this will eliminate the need for removing the plate. Most choose the 8" upgrade but for those with concerns it is now available. It would also maintain stock set up.

Interesting... Please provide specs for the 6.5" sub as there is currently no reference to it on your website. Does it provide any different base response than the original? My primary reason for upgrading is to achieve enhanced clarity of speech, particularly that of the King of Payne...

#19 6 years ago

We don't have stand alone speakers listed, but the 6.5 is certainly on our website. We do many different custom things, too many to put on our website. Please contact us directly if you would like to substitute the 6.5, At this time we have not received a single phone call wanting an alternative subwoofer, so it is custom and not yet site worthy.

To answer your question, a 6.5" most certainly does not offer the same level of performance or bass response than an 8" does. Which is why virtually everyone to date has removed the block. Even the op has stated in the end it was worth it

Quoted from jimy_speedt:

I have to admit, it is worth the effort. Especially for the bass ! Great

This is directly related to Pinball Pro speakers and their performance
if you want the best performance it's no doubt the 8", if you don't want to tackle plate removal we offer a 6.5" as an alternative

As far as "enhanced clarity of speech" this is backbox speakers. These remain unchanged. The subwoofer is only for lows and pointed to the floor. Smaller sub, less rumble. If you want to try a kit, let me know, if you don't like the sound you can return it. The only way to know is to try it.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-pro-mmr-awesome#post-2965758

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 0.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

11,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Idaho Falls, ID
Machine - For Sale
Calgary, AB
$ 45.00
$ 44.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Hardware
Pinball Haven

$ 12.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 130.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinwize.com

$ 16.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 24.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.95
$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 24.75
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

14,550 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Grand Forks, ND
$ 210.00
$ 26.50
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

10,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bettendorf, IA
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mmrle-problem-with-the-pinball-pro-speaker-kit and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.