IMG_7578 (resized).JPG
IMG_7577 (resized).JPG
IMG_7576 (resized).JPG
IMG_7575 (resized).JPG
IMG_7574 (resized).JPG
IMG_7573 (resized).JPG
IMG_7572 (resized).JPG
IMG_7569 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider manic.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1775 8 years ago

Yeah MM never made closeout status. I got one of the last one's at Betson's in Baltimore and it's sat in my living room ever since. Word was WMS severely underestimated the popularity of the title but was already making CV. CV and NGG did become closeouts and I got lucky with those. Lucky as I had only been into pins for a couple years before all this happened.

It's not rocket science as somebody said... if there were enough really nice MM's that people were willing to sell there would have been no demand for MMr and no business opportunity for PPS.

I'm delighted they remade these and I hope everybody that eventually gets their pins enjoys them. So they might play a little different... look a little different... who cares? It's a genuinely FUN game that people should be able to buy if they like. Now they
actually have the opportunity without sharks trying to take advantage of them. 8k is no bargain but it beats what people were asking for so-so examples a year or two ago.

Arguing over the differences is a waste of time at this point and I had been coming by to see some unboxing pics that have sadly slowed down. I've never paid in full for something and then had to wait so I can imagine it must be frustrating. To put it mildly...

3 months later
#2720 8 years ago

I think the only real solution for affected owners IS a populated PF swap but they'll never do that. Besides the costs of initially producing the units they would have to pay shipping both ways to be fair to the customer. They are already asking the customer to do the grunt work in any case.

Sending out a bare PF is what Stern often does and this doesn't really fix anything. People rarely go to the trouble of installing them in a brand new game so it's more of a sop to the buyer...you keep it around, you sell it, you maybe throw it in when you sell the machine, etc.

I suppose this can make the buyer feel better about the perceived/real drop in value to their machine but they still don't end up with what they paid for. Same deal with some kind of cash rebate.

It's a shame as I was happy to see these remade for everybody and except for this issue (and the early PF's chipped up by the slingshots) the quality seems great. Hopefully it's a small enough amount of customers affected that they step up to the plate and deliver.

#2790 8 years ago

They came up with a "cost effective" solution: an update that will let you turn your LEDs way down.

It's effective because it costs them nothing

#2792 8 years ago
Quoted from pintechev:

Since when is software development and QA free?

Since they have a relationship with the programmer and since an overall dimming level of the LEDs isn't rocket science

And since he'll want employment on the next title he'll probably offer to do it gratis... not sure where QA applies with the inserts as
there seems to have been a period when they were *not* paid.

Regardless you now have an 8k machine with faded inserts and no solution. I just feel bad for the group that ended up with these.

#2794 8 years ago
Quoted from Nilroc:

What group are you referring to.
The group that has been shipped already?

Yeah... the hopefully small group that ended up with the faded inserts. It's discussed in the "early MMR buyers" thread.

#2908 8 years ago

I think the question of the faded inserts is somewhat related to unboxings as right at that point the owner needs to check and potentially warn or reassure others on the issue.

I don't think it matters if the the rather thin skinned salesman of this project checks in anymore as lately all he has done is point his finger at Churchill whenever a problem arises. In other words the owners are on their own in figuring out who to contact, etc if there is an issue.

Except for this insert problem and the way they have reacted to it... I think it's been a heck of a success. MM's gameplay is head and shoulders above most other titles so people that missed out on the first time got lucky. Unless you are part of a hopefully small group that may or may not ever feel great about the purchase. Time will tell I suppose.

1 week later
#2923 8 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

That one was made in September...the faded ink batch is around January I believe.
PS That gold is awful...look at those pics!!

Watch it bud! Some people over here are very partial towards that buttery baby poop

To be fair his camera managed to make it look worse than reality... by a little bit.

#2929 8 years ago

That's a GOOD thing. Maybe they are doing something about the recent insert issue? One can hope...

1 month later
#3162 8 years ago
Quoted from Drewblood419:

It's doesn't make it solid jet black but it is legible and and looks way better than having a hot spot in the center of the insert

"legible"... hardly a ringing endorsement lol.

I just feel sorry for you guys not getting the jet black text everybody else got before you in line. And what we all got on the original.
But if you guys are satisfied I'll keep my mouth shut. Hopefully these new ones are back to spec.

The hotspot issue is unrelated. They should have known about this before shipping since on THIS setup... you can't swap out the LED's or adjust the distance under the PF like the original. Plus you can't dim them in the menu... or has this been added?

Other than this I think they did a pretty nice job on one of the best titles ever.

1 week later
#3235 7 years ago

You're wrong about the inserts...I've tried every kind of super bright LED's in all my machines (MM included) and never did they turn an insert grey. In fact the more blinding the insert...the darker the text would look because of the contrast. So that's a crock unfortunately...
you'll see when you get your plastic sheet. It's also not a "minor teething issue" as the inserts will always be a misprint and if you ever go to sell the machine you'll take a hit.

However it sounds like you're already pleased with your 8k purchase...which is a good thing for your peace of mind (and I'm not being sarcastic). I would be livid and would demand the same quality the first few hundred buyers got. Real simple.

It also shows why they probably didn't bother running some more PF's with the proper screening... like the earlier MMR's had (or ANY machine ever really) - they figured it was "good enough" for an 8k machine and the new owners would live with it.

So far they've been right on the money.

Despite my rant here I hope you enjoy it...MM's a great game.

#3239 7 years ago

We've seen pics of the diffuser with the machine on and it doesn't compare to the jet black ink of the originals. Or even of the earlier MMR's where the PF screening seemed fine.

But it seems to be "good enough" for most of the buyers and that may be ok... who'd want to be permanently irritated with the machine after a long wait and a lot of money.?

I'm just irritated at Rick and co FOR you guys... you paid the same amount and waited even longer than the earlier customers and then they ship you...this? Even after they KNOW the ink is sub-par. Who does this? They couldn't bother to run some more PF's once they knew there was a problem for their valuable customers? Do they have no pride in the product they sell?

OK they didn't want to spend the $$ to send out populated PF's to the first batch of people affected by the issue.. But to then insist on using the old stock that they now KNOW is bad?

I was stoked when this project happened as I would never sell mine and wanted to see more people be able to own this machine. WMS themselves said they didn't anticipate the demand and had wished they had done 3x as many at the time.

And after the slingshot issue it seemed like people were getting what they paid for (whew)... and then now THIS is happening.

I'll shut up about this and I am not trying to annoy new owners. I am happy for you guys but what PPS is doing about this (or not doing) just sticks in my craw. And demanding pics from their customers so they can say "falls within tolerances" is just awful. Especially since they acknowledged there was (and apparently STILL IS) an issue.

#3257 7 years ago
Quoted from viper001:

I like that this notion is still alive and well. The upside for you guys is your new diffuser kits, like a fine wine, will only improve over time. As the UV light and heat slowly turns them more yellow and brittle, and they collect more and more pinball dust where it's hard to clean out their light blocking abilities will only improve. This should make them even more sought-after over time. Maybe we will see original owners installing diffusers just to try to prop up the fading value of their machines?

Once again... as dry as a good martini

#3281 7 years ago
Quoted from Topdog:

Yes I'm glad to have a new and improved MM also I will try to take some pics of the inserts with the glass off and lights on and off tomorrow but I know that my playfield was not one of the ones with the lighter ink

So you got one of the earlier "good" ones. Great. Seriously...

What's that got to do with them still selling the defective stock to people that have waited longer and paid eight thousand dollars?

Selling off the "inferior" PF's with faded inserts after they now KNOW about the problem...? As Judge Judy would say...

"outrageous"

I just want the guys to stick up for themselves and get one of the "good" ones like the first few hundred people.
Like yourself apparently. I didn't think it would be a controversial stance.

I didn't think wanting the same level of quality for current buyers would get get people yelling at EACH OTHER... yell at PPS and demand the same quality as the next guy. Tell them sending you a PF that they have acknowledged has problems is unacceptable for eight grand and a long wait. It also strikes me as cheap and underhanded (but don't say that right off the bat)

Good luck everybody - you deserve one with a properly printed playfield. Just like the earlier buyers got.

#3304 7 years ago
Quoted from sparechange1974:

For those waiting on black trim machines:
Recently I've been seeing some black trim machines on the forums(in transit and pics), and I was wondering if it was just a handful of black trim games being completed or if the black trim has arrived and they are back into full production. Spoke to CGC today, trim arrived and yes black is back on the line and in production!! I didn't ask for specific time frames or run numbers, but they did say are trying to ramp up production and you will be seeing more games very soon. I'm not an insider, just a regular guy waiting on his game(like all of you)that wanted to share part of my conversation as it's good news! Btw, the two times I've called them(CGC), they been polite honest and fairly transparent about where things sit for what ever its worth.
Finally, Black is Back!!

Did ya ask him about another current issue that is "fairly transparent"?? Sorry... couldn't resist

Regardless of how the company is handling (or not handling) problems... you guys have a right to be excited as MM is a great game and should be in any collection. I said my piece and indeed it's up to each individual to decide how they feel and what (if anything) to do about it.

Enjoy it! That part sure isn't hard...

#3359 7 years ago

Smooth is good. Otherwise you'd have Stern MM.

I'm so old fashioned I'd have to have the stainless. You get the iconic classic look and the ease of care and durability.

Damn how did I get so old anyways?

#3382 7 years ago
Quoted from sparechange1974:

What are the wingnut/bolts and black plate used for? I'm trying to keep the manual stapled to the side.

The plate looks like the top that slides on to your plastic coin box in the bottom of the cab. The wingnuts are used to fasten down the head to the cab in the upright position for added safety. You can get by at home maybe with just the clip but if you are planning on smacking it around with death saves, etc... better use those wingnuts. Having the head fall forward full force isn't pretty

If the plate you're referring to is the black one... that screws on after you push the power cord into the back of the cab to prevent it from falling out.

#3399 7 years ago
Quoted from NicToria:

Black seems to be rolling out . NICE>

Congrats fellow pin owner!

#3420 7 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

So there IS a problem with your inserts.

Well to be fair he was the first guy to get rightfully indignant when he received his new MMr and saw the issue. Everybody appreciated him raising the flag over this... his later gushing over the "amazing" fix promised to him (if he swore himself to secrecy) - not so much.

#3427 7 years ago
Quoted from Rat:

Also the fact that he went back and deleted ALL his posts in that thread thus not giving any support to those who were not as amazed by the fix offered to them and wiping the history of how he would ONLY accept a new playfield and nothing less.

I remember him saying he would ONLY accept a new PF but I had no idea he deleted all his posts. Hmmm wonder if money talks? That's a sad commentary on this entire situation.

#3428 7 years ago
Quoted from srmonte:

MMR # 812 in the house.
I have been snapping a ton of insert photos. Funny thing is they all look washed out and make the ink look thin, but in person they are not.
I'm not going to bother posting the insert photos, they look just like the recent photos, but like I said in person it looks amazing and is very easy to read
PS The game came without a diffuser

Glad you're happy - that's really all that counts. I wouldn't discount other new owners comments, concerns and pictures though.

I'm still waiting for a new owner to say "Jet black! Black is back baby!" and then post a pic because a typical insert with black text shouldn't be impossible to photograph.

But if it's "good enough" for you... then it's good enough. And I don't mean that in a snarky way. You SHOULD be allowed to feel good about it. Enjoy.

#3449 7 years ago
Quoted from Nilroc:

Got a surprise call from Tommy of Nitro.
Will be by tonite to Deliver and Setup my MMRLE Black.

So FINALLY the OP gets his prize! Congrats ya hoser

#3458 7 years ago

Poor guys gotta hump that machine up the stairs with you taking pics like a paparazzi... lol. They must love that.

Well the castle inserts look good with the machine turned off. Maybe they have burned through the "lightly printed" PF's by now? One can hope...

#3462 7 years ago
Quoted from Nilroc:

It was actually downstairs!
Pins are in my basement.
I'm sure Nitro doesn't mind the advertising

Ah ha - I rushed through the last few pics... just saw guys and stairs. Yeah I have the same arrangement over here. Going down sure beats going up

#3501 7 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

Must have had the empathy beaten out of him as a kid.

lol

#3520 7 years ago

Congrats

Like the classic trim btw.

#3554 7 years ago

Since you're showing off the inserts in those pics (and they seem to look ok)... can you guarantee your customers will get that quality and NOT a factory second like they have been shipping? Did PPS tell you they had finally gone through the iffy PF's?

I bring this up because if I were a customer looking at your pics and then I got yet another faded one I might be unhappy. In fact I'd be pretty upset.

I don't think you need to hype this machine to make sales. Just the confidence to tell the customer that they WILL get the same quality PF's MMr's originally shipped with.

#3556 7 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

Looks a lot nicer than the other ones. I guess they fixed the problem? But for how long?

Yeah since they knew this one would be on display maybe they found one of the earlier PF's to put in it I sure wouldn't want to take an 8k gamble knowing now there is no recourse if a faded one shows up at your door.

Kinda odd that this "display" model has decent PF like the earlier ones but that the last few owners that JUST received theirs report the "thin ink" problem is still there.

I'm impressed with these new owners being so impartial and openly pointing this out. If I had waited so long and paid 8k I'd probably be in denial. If it wasn't such a great title it wouldn't matter as much I suppose.

#3582 7 years ago
Quoted from surfajl77:

Although unlike some of you guys, I had absolutely no problems communicating with CGC. They responded to my ticket, are sending me a siderail to replace my chipped one, and were originally going to send me a diffuser until Rick finally responded to my e-mail asking for one. I've actually had a more difficult time with his responses than I have had with CGC.

How surprising

#3611 7 years ago
Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

This error I was not aware of on remade MMr PFs as I own a '97 edition, but have seen some of the early run of MMrs. As a collector versus player owner, this is substantially significant. Collectors don't tolerate this on repo playfields either. We do spot these mistakes when inspecting machines. Hopefully, not many owners have this problem, but it seems unlikely based on small production run.

Yeah even on the earlier MMr's I noticed the art was off center a bit and most obvious down by the switches in the inlanes and outlanes.
Instead of the switch being dead center in the oval art opening - it was almost on the edge. Same with the others... but I shrugged that off as the original PF's MMr came with looked great overall. But who could have seen this insert thing coming?

Apparently when CGC screws up with WMS or Stern as a client they are told to chuck 'em out. But with CGC actually running this show (or PPS) this option is obviously NOT on the table.

#3622 7 years ago
Quoted from Nilroc:

Wish there were more Unboxings. This Inkgate is getting to be a bit too much.

To be fair we've all seen the cab and the three kinds of trims. The only thing that can be different is the PF quality and if it comes with the plastic sheet. So it's only natural people would point this out.

#3626 7 years ago

So you guys would rather see the EXACT same pics over and over of the exact same three trims - and no mention of the only thing that may be different from one machine to another? I always thought the PF was part of the unboxing? Maybe we should only show cab pics from now on.

Look I get some people don't want to talk about the PF and believe or not I'm trying to cut back on mentioning it. But Blame Rick and CGC for spoiling the tranquility of this thread. They didn't have to create this issue.

#3629 7 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

You've mentioned it. And mentioned it. And mentioned it. If this is you cutting back, I'd hate to see you unleashed!
I also think PPS/CGC have handled this issue terribly, but I get why people are annoyed to hear a guy that doesn't even have an MMR on order popping off about the inserts over and over again.

I'm just amazed people so easily accept getting a product that is not as nice as the first 200 or so. It just bugs me. No wonder they didn't bother to re-print any PF's. They knew their customers far better than I did apparently. And it *could* have been me and I'd have been quite pissed off. So I was trying to get you guys to fight for what you deserved and paid for.

But I agree - I've posted WAY to much about it. Early on you'll see where I was excited for everybody and enjoyed seeing the pics.

And I genuinely didn't want to spoil anybody's good time - it's a great title and people should enjoy it. And it IS awkward talking about the issue when some don't want to hear about it.

So I'll try not to mention it in this thread again - see how reasonable I am? If I forget - let me know... nicely I hope.

#3636 7 years ago

20k ?? c'mon Buddy. I've yet to find someone who admits to paying 12k for one. Maybe a HEP game but those are always ridiculous.

I've heard a lot of "I knew a guy that knew a guy..." but I'd like to actually hear from a long time member here that they paid 12k for just a basic nice one.

I just don't think you need to hype 'em... the pics look good if that is what you get. It's a great game.

BTW - what's with talk of "selling out"? Is there a set number of standards they are going to make? I didn't think that was the case?

#3639 7 years ago

Thanks but I'll wait until somebody we know says they paid 20k. Faceless pics won't help so don't spend your time... thanks though.

#3646 7 years ago

People can ASK anything they like... then they end up selling for far less and of course won't disclose this. Hence the so called price inflation. "That guy was asking 15k...and it sold!" Except it was for FAR less and you won't hear about that.

That thread just seemed to be a lot of wild speculation. I'll wait until somebody we know tells us they paid 12k or more for a typical MM

#3648 7 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

Wow! $23,000 for a Keller restored MM I have a Keller restored MM that is insanely nice but even before MMr I wouldnt of thought it was a $23k pin.

Hey put up a little post-it sign with "23k or best" on it. Apparently that instantly makes it worth 23k

#3743 7 years ago
Quoted from Nilroc:

Just another debacle by PPS AND CGC.
LE owners preordered for those differences.
PPS and CGC will be facing a shitstorm over this one.

Ummm sure... because THIS issue is the one that deserves outrage

1 week later
#3821 7 years ago
Quoted from netman63129:

Is there a way to disable the knocker in MMR like in Stern games? It seems to mostly scare the crap out of my friends that play the game and aren't expecting it...lol

If there is no setting in the menu and it has an actual knocker... you can simply unplug it up in the backbox (if it's still in the original location). Another option is to use a blue rubber pad on the stop so you notice it but it's not like a gunshot.

2 months later
#4068 7 years ago
Quoted from Dirk:

I was worried as well however after unpacking the game i can only say it looks and plays fantastic. As mentioned many times before some problems are made much bigger then they are (by a loud minority on this forum) and this is sort of spoiling the experience for the normal collectors. I want my game to be perfect but i don't check every part with a microscope and wrap it in a blanket after use. I think 99% of the owners think the game looks absolutely stunning.

No the reason you are happy with your game is that they were finally shamed into NOT sending their customers faded factory second PF's!

This issue was not "made bigger"... and there are a lot of your fellow customers that are now stuck with the irregular PF's that DON'T think they are stunning and will be worth less when they sell.

So if you got a good one... great. Thank the people that complained as they sent out the bad product and enabled you to get a good one. Don't make assumptions - read the history and be thankful you got a decent PF.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 129.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 64.99
14,550 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Grand Forks, ND
Machine - For Sale
Castle Rock, CO
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 24.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 35.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 45.00
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

10,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bettendorf, IA
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider manic.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mmr-unboxings?tu=manic and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.