IMG_7578 (resized).JPG
IMG_7577 (resized).JPG
IMG_7576 (resized).JPG
IMG_7575 (resized).JPG
IMG_7574 (resized).JPG
IMG_7573 (resized).JPG
IMG_7572 (resized).JPG
IMG_7569 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider crash.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#98 9 years ago
j6g05.jpgj6g05.jpg
#103 9 years ago

Finally an actual review! Thanks for taking the time and effort to withdraw yourself long enough to make it back to the pack.

#108 9 years ago
Quoted from Gritty:

Just received MMR on Friday. I have had people over all weekend to play it. The game plays great and just like the original from my recollection. I went with the gold and was a little weary from some of the reviews. I have to say that after seeing the game in person I love the gold trim. It really fits the art work and theme. The pictures don’t do it justice. It has a sparkle to it that makes it pop. The build quality is exceptional from the cabinet to the playfield. I only had a few minor issues that I ran into out of the box.
1. The shooter lane switch was getting caught on the wiring below the playfield causing misfires. I corrected this by bending the switch away from the wiring.
2. The balls were not consistently exiting the ball trough. I needed to slightly bend the ball through flap out.
3. The leds used on the Duke of Bourbon insert appear to be a different hue (warmer color) than the other castle inserts. Not sure if there is an adjustment for this or it’s a design issue. This insert is lit by its own dedicated board. I plan to open a ticket with PPS to troubleshoot.
Thank you to PPS, CGC and Stern for making an awesome state of the art reproduction of the greatest pinball ever made.
I am located in South Jersey and would be happy to let other Pinsiders come preview the game. Just shoot me a PM. If you would like to see any specific photos let me know and I can post them.

1) I would think you shouldn't have to bend the switch. Is the harness able to be moved out of the way of the switch armature?

2) So I'm guessing the ball trough flap wasn't high enough and the balls were bouncing off and going back into the trough?

3) Can you get a picture of this insert?

#119 9 years ago

Correct, it is a sticker. You can clearly see the powdercoat texture showing through it.

#122 9 years ago

Hey whaddya know! Thanks for clearing that up.

#136 9 years ago

Does the GI fade on and off like the inserts?

#176 9 years ago

Freaking awesome. At this point nobody should pay more than $7500 for a stock HUO MM.

#189 9 years ago

Awesome, the GI does indeed fade along with the inserts lamps. No fade on the start button though?

#205 9 years ago

WOZ? Yech, clearcoat is terrible on that game actually.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/woz-after-4000-plays

#224 9 years ago

Do you know how to change it in the software settings?

#238 9 years ago
Quoted from Nepi23:

Really like the uncompressed audio! They should make it available via PinSound for the original MM owners as well!

The game data is most likely stored on the micro SD card, which the Beaglebone Black CPU board is capable of using. Barring any encryption I don't see why the data can't be used in other applications (full game OST CD anyone?)

Has anyone actually tried reading the micro SD card on a PC to see if Windows at least recognizes the filesystem?

image.jpgimage.jpg

#260 9 years ago

This just in! Planetary Pinball engages in negations with WMS and received details on the location of the legendary Medieval Madness new in box hoarding warehouse! They responded with the comment, "We have top men working on it right now." When asked for further information on the identities of these individuals, PPS refused to disclose.

image.jpgimage.jpg
#274 9 years ago

Then care to explain the defective clearcoat? Clearly it doesn't concern you given your attitude.

#277 9 years ago

So basically he paced back and forth glaring out his gameroom window for 4 days?

#303 9 years ago
Quoted from pudluther:

on the flipper misalignment thing...what exactly do you mean? left/right? or angled incorrectly? or what?
and...how difficult/involved is it to fix? i'm not the best pin repairman in the world....

It would be a good idea to go through this thread to get an idea of flipper operation theory and how to adjust the bats.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-upgradingrebuilding-flippers

#307 9 years ago

Yes basically.

#353 9 years ago

That's the original MMR speaker panel. He just custom made a Williams logo decal. I'm not sure that would be doable due to the extra height of the LCD display.

#391 9 years ago

With CGC, we have product.

#398 9 years ago

"I am the Duke of Bourbun! *hyup* My game is here? Door's open, come on in! Huhuuhouuuhoohoo!"

#414 8 years ago
Quoted from tdunbar:

The unboxing crew last Saturday in Albuquerque at the Lizard Lounge!

unboxing crew.JPG (Click image to enlarge)

"Now it's a party! *hyup*"

#416 8 years ago

The F bomb can't really be aftermarket though in the sense that the voice actor had to say it at the Williams recording studio.

#488 8 years ago

I LOVE the way you timed the Tron speech to tell the story of your "coming of age" with Medieval Madness. Really fitting, especially when you "revealed" the box. Sort of like a movie trailer.

#490 8 years ago

Now got any video for us?

#501 8 years ago

Working on a better version of your trailer...

#504 8 years ago

And here it is!

http://

#510 8 years ago

Copyright claim prevents the video from being played from Pinside. Copy and paste the link above to a new tab and it will play.

#525 8 years ago
Quoted from BigDan:

Thanks for all the pics and vid's but just so everyone knows...

a94.jpg
» YouTube video

Hey I least I did something cool with the pillars!

#531 8 years ago

For those inflicted with the waiting bug...

image.jpgimage.jpg
#535 8 years ago
Quoted from steve-o:

...not many unboxings viewed here in quite a while...

MMR owners:image.jpgimage.jpg

Us:

image-180.jpgimage-180.jpg

#559 8 years ago

So if I understand correctly, there are two adjustments for color: one on the LCD remote board and the main adjustments in the advanced system menu?

#561 8 years ago

Yeah the CGC menu was the "main" one I was referring to, since it's easier to access.

#585 8 years ago

White clip on the camera.

#591 8 years ago

Lol, for how much these games cost... coin mechs and a goodie bag (you know, like the original games had) should be a given from the very start.

#592 8 years ago

Did CGC also pull a Stern and only decide to include the manual with the LE version?

#594 8 years ago

I sure hope it does!

#634 8 years ago

Wow lots going out at this point. Seems like their ship rate totally obliterates JJP's rate on WOZ. At least 5 arrived within the last 24 hours.

#642 8 years ago

Here's a summary of the rules I typed up for anyone who is somewhat unfamiliar with Medieval Madness (which I am guessing is most of you).

The game focuses primarily on Madness features. Every time you complete a task (such as shooting the castle to destroy it or shooting the left ramp to stir up angry peasants), it lights a Madness feature at Merlin's kickout for Multiball Madness. The more modes you have lit at the kickout, the more balls you get during Multiball Madness and the more jackpots are worth. This makes it fun to stack features for a really awesome multiball.

Another multiball mode, Castle multiball, has traditional lock rules. Light 3 locks at the castle wall to the left of the drawbridge, and shoot the ball through the hidden gate to launch cannonballs at the castle on the display. So the game has both a traditional multiball and a deeper multiball. This is one reason why the game is so accessible.

Like advancing your raft down river in White Water, the obvious major objective is to destroy the castles of King Payne's men. Each time you do this, that castle is lit at the emblem above the flippers and each castle after it becomes progressively more difficult to shoot. If you get all the way to King Payne, there is a special mode just for that. It's quite fun.

Now, beyond the obvious stuff there is still more to do. Every time you complete the catapult shot for a Catapult Slam, you get to choose on the display what you want to launch at the castle, and your choice effects how many points you get. Timing is key here, and it's a fun little addition.

You can also light video mode at the inlanes. These of course can be moved around using the flipper buttons like any generic lane change feature.

The game also has a hurry-up mode called Castle Hurry-Up. If you hit the castle drawbridge before time runs out, you get a hurry-up score. Also, the skill shot is to immediately hit the drawbridge after the plunge while the red arrow insert is flashing. If you do this, you are immediately awarded a hurry-up score.

And while I'm talking about plunges, if you hold the left flipper up when you plunge the ball will come around the left orbit instead of being diverted into the swordfight bumpers in the upper right. This makes it easier to get back into play quickly.

Another side mode this game features is Trolls. Each time you hit the troll targets on either side of the drawbridge, it advances towards Trolls. Once the trolls are disturbed enough they will pop out of the ground on both the display AND the playfield as bash toys. Hit each troll enough times to complete the mode. They will alternate positions much like Buzz and Bud do in No Good Gofers.

Merlin's kickout is the main award shot in the game. Complete the Merlin standups on the right to light the shot, and he chooses a random award from his scroll in the display. It can range from points, to advancing a certain shot for Multiball Madness, to starting a mode. This feature often gives you what you want; say you have Trolls almost lit, he will start that mode for you so you can get that out of the way and open up shots for Multiball Madness. There is quite a lot of strategy here at this shot that involves Multiball Madness that really keeps the game from getting repetitive.

#646 8 years ago

I thought Stern was also handling the packaging. Weren't they the ones to identify issues with the cardboard in early runs?

#666 8 years ago

Post 666.

#691 8 years ago
Quoted from mcc:

The code that displays the boot screen, as well as the CGC Menu, was written by Chicago Gaming designed for their new platform. The code that displays scores, graphics, and animation during the game was written by Williams back in the mid 1990s for their old platform.
It's much easier to write new code to show color images than it is to modify the existing code to do the same, without screwing up the precise timing and layout of the old code or otherwise causing problems.
ColorDMD isn't compatible with MMR because it plugs in to the signal between the CPU and the display. That signal used to be a low resolution that ColorDMD could decode. It's now a high resolution and different format that is more difficult to decode.
There are a couple ways Chicago Gaming could attempt to tackle colorization. They could either modify the original code to support high resolution / color, or they could write code that looked at the monochrome output from the game and colorize it similar to how ColorDMD works. While something is reportedly in the works, it hasn't been released yet.

Interestingly enough there is a 14 pin header in the upper right corner of the CPU board labeled "DMD." Nobody seems to be looking into why this is here and if it can be used to drive an original 128x32 display.

image.jpgimage.jpg

#694 8 years ago

I just pulled it off of Google. I won't be able to report on anything first hand until I get to see and toy around with Pintucky's game. So that picture shows an early prototype board. I was thinking maybe PPS had originally planned on using a standard DMD before they decided to use an LCD panel, but the fact that it's still there is promising. Perhaps they were planning on supporting an original display/ColorDMD/SmartDMD/DMD Extender for a wide variety of color customization options.

#701 8 years ago
Quoted from stangbat:

Unfortunately I don't have an LED DMD handy to use for testing. And I don't feel like hooking up a HV PS to try and run a plasma DMD. I'll have to leave this one up to someone else, hopefully someone will check it out.

Has anyone tried hooking up a DMD from a game sitting next to MMR? I'm not sure if there would be enough cable length to run the power cable from the other game and the ribbon cable from MMR. You would probably have to sit the DMD on a stool or something between the two if you can get it hooked up.

1 week later
#771 8 years ago
Quoted from Craig:

Kind of depressing to hear of people buying them NIB at Allentown with no wait when some of us paid in full ten months ago and still have no idea when ours will arrive.

What else did you expect with a preorder? I like to call them "postorders" considering the fact that people who put down their money early to fund the project often get theirs behind regular buyers.

#802 8 years ago

I can understand the frustration with QC... I also expected better supervision of the assembly process.

#818 8 years ago

And no coin mechs, don't forget that.

#828 8 years ago
Quoted from CraZyMuffin:

Dug up my pictures from delivery. Sorry for the lack of setup pictures, was too excited to stop and take more at that point!

How are you going to address the minor damage? The coin door you may be able to touch up yourself and get a small credit for.

#830 8 years ago

Loving that classic warm white look!

#844 8 years ago

He probably just drew it.

#854 8 years ago

Why did the fuses blow?

#856 8 years ago

I was wondering if the wire was pinched enough to short against something. You're lucky you didn't take out a driver board. Speaking of which do these new boards have short circuit protection on the coil drive lines? Usually if something like this happens it means instant death for a transistor.

#873 8 years ago

Yep nothing like taking the lockdown bar off, putting it aside, and hearing this big crash in the background.

3 weeks later
#981 8 years ago

MMR I feel is superior. New machine, modern electronics, full warranty coverage and tech support available. Looks and plays 100% like an original and costs half the price (well, before deflation). What's not to love?

#986 8 years ago

o-din I miss your cigar dog already!

image.jpgimage.jpg
4 weeks later
#1043 8 years ago
Quoted from SuperPinball:

Don't forget to join the MMR Owners club.

He already did.

#1053 8 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

Check the slingshot kicker clearance? Was it fixed.

This. I had completely forgotten about that. Check to see if the metal kicker arms contact the playfield when actuated. If they do, I will be seriously disappointed...

#1069 8 years ago

jsandjs do you have slingshot damage?

2 weeks later
#1142 8 years ago

DUDE! What kind of gameroom is that? If those are new anti-gravity feet cushions I gotta get me some of those.

2 weeks later
#1221 8 years ago

Was Monster Bash or attack from Mars unofficially announced?

6 months later
#2968 8 years ago

Glad they are taking their time. If you move at Stern speeds you get Stern quality control.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs
(Alt) Translites
Machine - For Sale
Calgary, AB
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC
Decorations
$ 79.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts
Boards
Hardware
Pinball Haven
Hardware
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods
Decals
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 130.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinwize.com
Toys/Add-ons
Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs
Armor and blades
$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 24.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods
Decals
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods
Led
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
Machine - For Sale
Grand Forks, ND
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Wolcott, CT
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Decals
Creative Mods
Decals
$ 85.00
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 37.50
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
$ 45.00
Lighting - Led
Lermods
Led
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Armor and blades
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC
Various novelties
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound
Other
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider crash.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mmr-unboxings?tu=crash and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.