image-605.jpg
image-606.jpg
lord%20of%20the%20rings%20powder%20coat%20gold%201-657.jpg
medieval_madness_pinball_388_general-212.jpg
lord%20of%20the%20rings%20powder%20coat%20gold%201-68.jpg
146274.jpg
1_G.jpg
#1 10 years ago

I'm having doubts that there is going to be a good option for gold (at least one that would be used). Someone brought up black nickel in another one of the threads here and I do recall seeing MM with black nickel that looked pretty bad ass (picture included, HEP build). Let’s see if we can get some sort of majority here on what would be preferred. I say black nickel is the way to go on this.

Here are a few pics of what I found online for the options mentioned. If the gold looked like the shiney gold plating, it would look damn good but, its most likely going to be closer to a powder coating seen on this LOTR image..no thanks. Standard is OK but, lacks a good pop.
I say black nickel. It gives the game a very sleek look. The question would be does it have the durability concerns the mentioned for the gold?

Oh ah yes, Mccune, another thread on this turd again. Beat yah to it!
1_G.jpg1_G.jpg146274.jpg146274.jpg

#2 10 years ago

lord%20of%20the%20rings%20powder%20coat%20gold%201-68.jpglord%20of%20the%20rings%20powder%20coat%20gold%201-68.jpgmedieval_madness_pinball_388_general-212.jpgmedieval_madness_pinball_388_general-212.jpg

#3 10 years ago

Black Nickel if available

#4 10 years ago

Has anyone seen one of these chromed out before? That could be an option too. Kind of like an Excalibur version.

Whatever is done, the backbox hinge plates should be done the same way.

But of the pix you sent, I like the shiny gold the best.

#5 10 years ago

Yeah, powder coat gold won't look good on this thing...

Of course you can always change it. Never fear! a few thousand bucks in changes and upgrades and this thing will be... almost like the original?

Chrome or Black Nickel...

If its going to be a powder coat your best bet is glossy black...

#6 10 years ago

Until rick says he can't make a gold that will hold up either by plating or powder coat with a clear coat I am sticking with gold. Black nickel would be a cool option but I don't think it looks better on this game. I may be in the minority on this but gold looks nice on MM.

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from teekee:

Yeah, powder coat gold won't look good on this thing...
Chrome or Black Nickel...

^This^

#8 10 years ago

Black is better

#9 10 years ago

looks good, but too dark for my taste. i would prefer something in between, like antique nickel.

#10 10 years ago

I requested gold trim, but if it winds up being gold powdercoat I'll change to standard trim. That is, if I don't cancel my MMRLE order so I can get Stern's Mustang 50th Anniversary pin (as I can't afford both).

#11 10 years ago

Black would be nice! I have a TOM with the gold powder coat and don't really care for it. If it's not nickle plated then I don't like the gold at all. I would prefer the black plated on MMr as it's something different and looks great (IMO).

#12 10 years ago

Yea the gold tone just doesn't compare to the polished brass. Here's my old LOTR w/ polished brass and one w/ gold tone

image-606.jpgimage-606.jpg image-605.jpgimage-605.jpg
#13 10 years ago

I like polished Brass.

#14 10 years ago

I like the black chrome on the MM if you do all of the wire form in black chrome too. If you leave the wire form polished brass then i like the hardware brass. I don't however like polished brass wire form. And a gold tone hardware. But I'm particular when spending money.....

#15 10 years ago

Black nickel looks real good!

#16 10 years ago

I think you guys are going to be really disappointed if you're actually hoping for Black Nickel...

#17 10 years ago
Quoted from teekee:

I think you guys are going to be really disappointed if you're actually hoping for Black Nickel...

Ha-ha I agree with you there. Its a modification that can be done aftermarket though. Just gotta keep in mind if your gonna do black chrome, chrome or powder its probablly best to order w/ SS instead of gold tone because of removal cost & prep.

#18 10 years ago

The poll seems a bit skewed mentioning the gold powder coat, there's absolutely no talk about doing that by PPS. It's good to keep in mind all the brass wire-forms on the playfield itself, the pics in this thread should include top-down views with each armor option.

I'm not sure which is the best option. The default chrome (steel) armor clashes a bit with the brass wireforms, but probably not a big deal. I've seen LOTR LE brass wear, but in the end is that even a concern in an HUO environment? It might be. Finally Black Nickel strikes me as Stern Pro armor. It looks fine as well.

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from ChadNC:

Ha-ha I agree with you there. Its a modification that can be done aftermarket though.

It is??? Where can you even get Black Nickel legs, side rails etc… last I heard Mike Chestnut no longer does Black Nickel (at least the bigger parts) and I don't know anyone else doing it.

#20 10 years ago

Black nickel looks great on AFM, not so much on MM. Chrome is the way to go in this game.

#21 10 years ago

Not a fan of the blak on this title.

#22 10 years ago

I'm going with gold. I like the contrast. If it doesn't hold up I'll change it suited to my taste.

#23 10 years ago

gold is the only way to go on this game.

#24 10 years ago

I would be up for brass plated or black chrome (or nickel) but, not powder coat. I agree that if it doesn't hold in might light HUO playing environment, then I can get it re-plated as desired.

#25 10 years ago
Quoted from teekee:

It is??? Where can you even get Black Nickel legs, side rails etc… last I heard Mike Chestnut no longer does Black Nickel (at least the bigger parts) and I don't know anyone else doing it.

Maybe its just a North Carolina thing. There's places that will do it. You could always email Chris Hutchins in Charlotte and ask who he uses?

#26 10 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

The poll seems a bit skewed mentioning the gold powder coat, there's absolutely no talk about doing that by PPS. It's good to keep in mind all the brass wire-forms on the playfield itself, the pics in this thread should include top-down views with each armor option.
I'm not sure which is the best option. The default chrome (steel) armor clashes a bit with the brass wireforms, but probably not a big deal. I've seen LOTR LE brass wear, but in the end is that even a concern in an HUO environment? It might be. Finally Black Nickel strikes me as Stern Pro armor. It looks fine as well.

Top down view you requested....

image-519.jpgimage-519.jpg
#27 10 years ago

Chrome top down

image-167.jpgimage-167.jpg
#28 10 years ago

SS straight down

image-48.jpgimage-48.jpg
#29 10 years ago

Black Nickel is so much better...Love it!

#30 10 years ago

The pictures don't do black nickel any justice. It looks really nice.

#31 10 years ago

Thanks for the top down pics. I can't believe how hard it is to find something on the 'net that shows the complete wireforms. IMO, matching the wireforms and armor helps make any of the three color options better... the black nickel plated wireforms are fairly impressive too.

I have games with wireforms in all 3 of these color options (though the black is not shiny nickel), and brass is the most impressive to look at. In the end the only real issue with brass armor is eventual tarnishing so I'm glad the time is being spent to investigate the best option. If I'm not mistaken, PPS/CG is the only manufacturer as of yet to even offer an armor choice to customers... it is something long overdue in the pinball industry.

#32 10 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

If I'm not mistaken, PPS/CG is the only manufacturer as of yet to even offer an armor choice to customers... it is something long overdue in the pinball industry.

#33 10 years ago
Quoted from ChadNC:

You could always email Chris Hutchins in Charlotte and ask who he uses?

I don't even think Chris is offering it anymore...

#34 10 years ago

Black Nickel for sure!

#35 10 years ago
Quoted from teekee:

I don't even think Chris is offering it anymore...

PM sent

#36 10 years ago

I personally think the game looks best in chrome. My next choice would be standard stainless steel, followed by black nickel. I'm not really a fan of the gold look at all on this game.

Here are a few photos of the game in chrome I grabbed off HEP's site ...

Chrome MM-844.jpgChrome MM-844.jpg
Chrome MM #2-98.jpgChrome MM #2-98.jpg

Chrome MM #3.jpgChrome MM #3.jpg
#37 10 years ago

Black Nickel looks pretty slick! Definitely gets my vote for my MMRLE. Whether or not it can be done, we will have to wait and see. Second I like the stainless steel. In my eyes, brass and gold look terrible on this game - unless you were to trim out the back box the same way….a la Stern.

#38 10 years ago

Chrome looks good as well. I'd be more than happy with chrome or black nickel. Chrome may be cheaper easier, so that's fine.

#39 10 years ago

I like the black nickel as a whole package. Rails, lockdown bar, legs, habitrails, etc.

LTG : )

#40 10 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

I like the black nickel as a whole package. Rails, lockdown bar, legs, habitrails, etc.
LTG : )

And from what I hear…This guy knows what he's talking about!

#41 10 years ago

Shoot with these prices might as well make it real gold lol.

#42 10 years ago

I want the Gold as advertised! If Rick find's a way to bring Black Nickel into the mix for those wanting a third option than I think he would do it. This may increase sales for him down the road because people now a days want options.

#43 10 years ago

Anything but gold. Ghrome is a crime against humanity. Personally my favorite of all time is the textured black powder coat on regular old Sterns. It has a great feel that is not slippery and it looks great too.

#44 10 years ago
Quoted from iamabearsfan:

Has anyone seen one of these chromed out before? That could be an option too. Kind of like an Excalibur version.
Whatever is done, the backbox hinge plates should be done the same way.
But of the pix you sent, I like the shiny gold the best.

I had a chrome and really think it looked the best. It just did not hold up though at the ends of the lockdown bar, and started clouding and wearing in less than a year.
My Tron LE held up a bit better but it started showing wear too. And even worse they had polished the siderails to a very sharp edge near the glass. I had to put pieces of mylar where your thumbs hit it to keep from getting cuts.

#45 10 years ago

I also like the gold version ( as LOTR LE)

#46 10 years ago

I like the Black Nickel too.

#47 10 years ago
Quoted from playernumber4:

I had a chrome and really think it looked the best. It just did not hold up though at the ends of the lockdown bar, and started clouding and wearing in less than a year.
My Tron LE held up a bit better but it started showing wear too. And even worse they had polished the siderails to a very sharp edge near the glass. I had to put pieces of mylar where your thumbs hit it to keep from getting cuts.

That's crazy! (the part about the cuts).

Tron LE... pay extra for to have the game assualt you both visually and physically over the regular game!

#48 10 years ago

My restored MM was done in Chrome and looks beautiful.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Decals
Creative Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

$ 225.00
Cabinet - Other
FlyLand Designs

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 44.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 64.99
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 24.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 9.95
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 16.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 130.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinwize.com

$ 12.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mmr-trim-options and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.