• 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by chrisnack
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

Hi

Hows about the bass in MMR?

Is there already a big subwoofer installed or a KIT available?

thx
tom

#2 7 years ago

Bump-I am wondering the same thing. Anyone hook up a Polk?

Also I am considering a shaker motor. Is it worth it, is it well integrated?

#3 7 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

Yes. Both work great.

#4 7 years ago

is there a extra setting for the cabinet speaker volume?

or must be installed a potentiometer?

#5 7 years ago

I picked up one of the MCM external subs and I'm trying to run both MMR and GOT through it by clipping to the bottom cabinet speaker and connecting one game to the left and one game to the right high power inputs on the sub. When I run MMR by itself, it works fine. When I run GOT, it works briefly (~1 minute or so), but then the display on MMR lights up for a split second (even though it's turned off ) and then the sub sound changes to a constant clicking.

Anybody run into this before? Do I have to run one or the other of these games on a separate sub? Or is there something goofy on the MCM sub like the speaker grounds being tied together?

#6 7 years ago

It looks like the speaker grounds are tied together... if I disconnect the (+) wire from MMR (leaving only the - wire to the cabinet speaker), it still mysteriously turns the MMR display on even though the game is switched off. Guess I need to come up with an external method for combining the speaker level signals. Or run separate subs.

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from boustrophedonic:

It looks like the speaker grounds are tied together... if I disconnect the (+) wire from MMR (leaving only the - wire to the cabinet speaker), it still mysteriously turns the MMR display on even though the game is switched off. Guess I need to come up with an external method for combining the speaker level signals. Or run separate subs.

Or just get a psw10 and you can hook two games to it.

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

I've got mine on an external Polk. Very bassy. Shaker motor came with the game, it's well integrated. Shakes when the castle
Blows up, when the trolls pop up and when you hit them.

#9 7 years ago

If your sub has a three-position power switch (ON/OFF/AUTO), try setting it to ON instead of AUTO.

#10 7 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Or just get a psw10 and you can hook two games to it.

The MCM was about $95 shipped and has quite a bit better specs than the PSW10. Of course, I agree that it's unfortunate they didn't bother isolating the high level inputs, but a line level converter is only $7 so is a comparatively cheaper solution than dumping another $100+ on a PSW10.

Quoted from emkay:

If your sub has a three-position power switch (ON/OFF/AUTO), try setting it to ON instead of AUTO.

Nope, just two positions, auto and off.

#11 7 years ago

Anybody run into this before? Do I have to run one or the other of these games on a separate sub? Or is there something goofy on the MCM sub like the speaker grounds being tied together?

I've always run two pinball on one Polk, clipping to the cabinet speakers. I currently have MMr and AC DC. I've never had a problem. I wonder if there is something funky about the MCM: pro audio gear is always a bit different from home audio.

#12 7 years ago

A $95 sub is most assuredly not "pro audio".

#13 7 years ago

This thread prompted me to add a sub to my MMr. I had already installed a Pinball Pro full MMr speaker kit; I was very happy with the improvement in audio from the backbox speakers but was still looking for a little more "boom" from the cabinet speaker.

I had an old subwoofer laying around; problem was it only has line level inputs, not speaker level. I bought this $8 converter
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001EAWS3W/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

and hooked it up last night- sounds great!

#14 7 years ago

where do you connect a external subwoofer?

#15 7 years ago

Can i install a MM kit form fidelity in a MMR?

or use PPS different speakers? ohm? then the original

orig MM = 4 ohm
MMR = use 8 ohm speakers

so when i install a kit for MM in MMR its to loud and may be a problem with the board?

thx

#16 7 years ago
Quoted from Mike_M:

I bought this $8 converter
amazon.com link »

and hooked it up last night- sounds great!

I got a similar but slightly cheaper $7 one off Amazon and it seemed to work fine with both machines connected. The only downside is that it buzzes for some reason when both machines are off, so I have to manual shut the subwoofer down rather than use Auto mode. Better than nothing I guess.

#17 7 years ago
Quoted from kapsreiter:

Can i install a MM kit form fidelity in a MMR?
or use PPS different speakers? ohm? then the original
orig MM = 4 ohm
MMR = use 8 ohm speakers
so when i install a kit for MM in MMR its to loud and may be a problem with the board?
thx

MMR uses 8 ohm in Parallel for the backbox and has a 4 ohm sub. The amp is 50wx2 RMS.

I replaced the cabinet sub with a Kenwood low-profile unit. 8", MASSIVE difference, and much more integrated than a external unit.

#18 7 years ago

thank you

could you post the model number?

#19 7 years ago

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001ULS3DY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00

This is the one i got. Note, you will have to modify the cabinet and cut a larger hole otherwise you will effect the sound as the hole will be too small and the cone won't be able to move the proper amount of air.

#20 7 years ago

I picked up one of the MCM external subs and I'm trying to run both MMR and GOT

Speaking of different systems on the same sub, has anyone successfully used the PSW10 with a SAM game and Spike game at the same time? If so, did you use the standard hook up to the cabinet speaker wires?

#21 7 years ago
Quoted from chrisnack:

amazon.com link »
This is the one i got. Note, you will have to modify the cabinet and cut a larger hole otherwise you will effect the sound as the hole will be too small and the cone won't be able to move the proper amount of air.

hm don't want to modify the new cabinet

and it`s also not available in europe

#22 7 years ago
Quoted from taz:

Speaking of different systems on the same sub, has anyone successfully used the PSW10 with a SAM game and Spike game at the same time? If so, did you use the standard hook up to the cabinet speaker wires?

There's no reason why this shouldn't work. The subwoofer is designed to work with any two speaker loads and does not depend on the amplifier. I've used one PSW10 on two Sterns, two Williams, one Williams and one Stern, etc.

#23 7 years ago
Quoted from kapsreiter:

hm don't want to modify the new cabinet
and it`s also not available in europe

Not my favorite cutting a larger hole in a $8k machine... but the end result is pretty nice...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 130.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinwize.com

$ 29.95
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 16.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 150.00
Cabinet - Other
Starcade Amusement

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 64.99
11,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Idaho Falls, ID
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 210.00
$ 45.00
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 12.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

Machine - For Sale
Calgary, AB
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 44.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 24.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

Machine - For Sale
Castle Rock, CO
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

14,550 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Grand Forks, ND
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mmr-subwoofer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.