New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 85567)

MMR - Spotted in person! TPF! Pics!!

By Jared

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 596 posts
  • 183 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by WIKED
  • Topic is favorited by 14 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 59 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

What Trim.png
hoct.jpg
image-281.jpg
image.jpg
image-98.jpg
image-338.jpg
MMR flyer with gold option.jpg
y u no-696.jpg
IMG_3433.JPG
42.jpg
mmr.jpg
20140329_114730.jpg
20140329_114830.jpg
20140329_114838.jpg
20140329_114842.jpg
20140329_114851.jpg

There are 596 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 12.
#551 6 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

What problems has Stern had with the colored powdercoat over the last few years? This is definitely news to me.
I'm not aware of issues with the powder coating on X-Men LE, Avengers LE, Metallica LE or Star Trek LE.
So what problem have "modern collectors" created exactly?

Yeah as far as I'm concerned powder coating adds a great durable look to LE and Premium machines. I was off put by the gold powder but think powder coat (if done right) is probably the best way to go for a durable nice looking finish. That is why I was so thankful Rick quickly decided to offer a shiny black option to us LE buyers. If others want to go further with it they can but it says a lot that after receiving feedback PPS decided to offer another option.

#552 6 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

What problems has Stern had with the colored powdercoat over the last few years?

Color mismatches, chipping. Things that no one called 1-800-KICKERS to gripe about when everything was black. Granted, nothing remotely as bad as the terrible Tron LE chrome.

Quoted from RobT:

So what problem have "modern collectors" created exactly?

My point is that once collectors started chroming and candy coating their own games, manufacturers (correctly) assumed that's what we want, started doing it, then realized what a hassle it is to get it right on a large scale. Look no further than Rick's posts in this thread.

It seems like gold is more is difficult to pull off than typical colored powdercoat. I don't envy anyone trying to please 1,000 persnickety collectors.

#553 6 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

Color mismatches, chipping. Things that no one called 1-800-KICKERS to gripe about when everything was black. Granted, nothing remotely as bad as the terrible TRON LE chrome.

My point is that once collectors started chroming and candy coating their own games, manufacturers (correctly) assumed that's what we want, started doing it, then realized what a hassle it is to get it right on a large scale. Look no further than Rick's posts in this thread.
It seems like gold is more is difficult to pull off than typical colored powdercoat. I don't envy anyone trying to please 1,000 persnickety collectors.

Well the 1,000 persnickety collectors are dropping a ton of coin on it man. Most people that drop 8K plus shipping want to be wowed not sure why you let that get under your skin or think it is unwarranted. Pinball is slowly becoming modernized some may not like it but others seem to which is why many pinball manufacterors are offering (gasp) colored powdercoat trim, LCD screens and LED lighting.

#554 6 years ago

when we tried to get more exotic with metal flakes, etc, the inconsistency was a problem, and again would have resulted in accolades for the one 'good one' that we posted, but then I can see it now when the inconsistencies show up at someones door ... again, it's not as easy as it looks ...

#555 6 years ago
Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

Most people that drop 8K plus shipping want to be wowed not sure why you let that get under your skin or think it is unwarranted.

Everyone dropping $8k on an MMR or MMRLE wants to play MM. I'm going to be one of them, and I'll be wowed when I open that box. If special hardware was never mentioned, do you think people would have said, "$8k Medieval Madness? Pshh, get back to me when it's gold."

Bling certainly is shiny and pretty. But it's not why people are lining up to spend $8k for MMR, and it appears to be a hassle for the manufacturer. An unnecessary hassle, in my opinion.

#556 6 years ago

I think anyone who buys this game is going to do one thing: enjoy it. Clearly anyone who thinks otherwise doesn't have one on order. It's a classic game...last time I checked it was #1 on Pinside.

#557 6 years ago

I think Rick should play paper fortune teller a 1000 times then trim issue will be sorted........pretty sure he had one of these in his pocket at TPF

What Trim.png

#558 6 years ago

Actually Yancy I jumped in only when I saw the LEDs and they added black powder coat. Hate the metal look and the bother of replacing it. So standard version works for you and this got my check mailed in.

#559 6 years ago
Quoted from Hwawonyu:

Actually Yancy I jumped in only when I saw the LEDs and they added black powder coat.

Don't they all have LEDs?

Quoted from Hwawonyu:

Hate the metal look and the bother of replacing it. So standard version works for you and this got my check mailed in.

My question remains: if MMR (or MMRLE) was only available in stainless, would that prevent you from ordering one?

#560 6 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

I wish PPS would say, "we've wasted too much time on trim already. We changed our mind: everything stainless. If you want another color, go nuts. If you want to cancel your order over trim color, feel free." How many people would cancel? And how many would be in line to fill those spots?
If I was a manufacturer, after seeing Stern's quality issues with chrome and colored powdercoat over the last few years, I wouldn't want to deal with customer complaints and replacing cosmetic hardware under warranty. Pinball trim quality wasn't an issue for the better part of a century. Modern collectors created a problem where one didn't exist by convincing manufacturers that commercial hardware needs to look like Skittles.
I'm part of the problem here, and I do own a game with custom aftermarket trim. I just wish everything would ship basic black or stainless, and let us nutjobs take over from there.

mmmm skittles

#561 6 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

My question remains: if MMR (or MMRLE) was only available in stainless, would that prevent you from ordering one?

Evidently it did for him, but I agree with you that it wouldn't for many of us. I think Rick sets a bad precedence conceding to the black trim....give us an inch and we'll ask for a mile.

By the way Rick, can I get Midnight Blue trim instead? Pretty please...

#562 6 years ago

^^^ You know the price for a standard and LE are the same. So why not just buy the LE?^^^^

#563 6 years ago

Yeah as far as I'm concerned powder coating adds a great durable look to LE and Premium machines.

all flash and no substance. PC looks durable, it is more so than paint or plating, but stainless never gets chipped off or worn through. if it does get nicked there's just more stainless under it.

#564 6 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

Color mismatches, chipping.

Must have missed the numerous threads on those alleged issues.

Never had either issue myself, neither have my friends with those pins.

I'm sure it happens once in awhile, but I am pretty sure it isn't a widespread issue. If it was, Stern wouldn't keep doing it.

#565 6 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

Everyone dropping $8k on an MMR or MMRLE wants to play MM. I'm going to be one of them, and I'll be wowed when I open that box. If special hardware was never mentioned, do you think people would have said, "$8k Medieval Madness? Pshh, get back to me when it's gold."
Bling certainly is shiny and pretty. But it's not why people are lining up to spend $8k for MMR, and it appears to be a hassle for the manufacturer. An unnecessary hassle, in my opinion.

You don't want options then get the standard simple as that. 8K is a lot and I want options sorry you don't like that for whatever reason. I'm not sure why we'd be concerned that there is hassle with options on such an expensive purchase. It's like begging manufactures to give us less while prices sky rocket. Makes little sense to me but as always to each their own. And to answer your question yes having options and upgrades that the LE will offer is important to me and has made me keep my order.

Quoted from calvin12:

all flash and no substance. PC looks durable, it is more so than paint or plating, but stainless never gets chipped off or worn through. if it does get nicked there's just more stainless under it.

Couldn't disagree with you more. Your approach/preference may be a little too old school for me to understand perhaps mine to new for you. I've never had any issues with the powder coat on my pins. To each their own...

#566 6 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Must have missed the numerous threads on those alleged issues.

Never had either issue myself, neither have my friends with those pins.

Lucky you! I'm talking about from the manufacturer's perspective, though.

Quoted from RobT:

I'm sure it happens once in awhile, but I am pretty sure it isn't a widespread issue. If it was, Stern wouldn't keep doing it.

Yeah, the benefits of selling $7k games to bling-hungry collectors definitely outweigh the negatives.

Powdercoat isn't too bad, but Stern's chrome was bad enough that they stopped it cold turkey after Tron LE. Couldn't have been cheap to send me (and who knows how many other people) replacement rails.

#567 6 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

Powdercoat isn't too bad, but Stern's chrome was bad enough that they stopped it cold turkey after TRON LE. Couldn't have been cheap to send me (and who knows how many other people) replacement rails.

Exactly correct. I was one of the people who got the chrome replacement rails for my Tron LE.

And it goes to what I said in my prior post: if the issues of chipping and color mismatch on powder coating was in any way a serious issue for Stern, they would also stop it cold turkey like they did the chrome (after the problems with Tron LE).

#568 6 years ago

You don't want options then get the standard simple as that. 8K is a lot and I want options sorry you don't like that for whatever reason.

I like options! I'm glad stainless is an option. What I'm saying is, the vast majority of potential MMR buyers would still want the game even if there weren't hardware options. They could sell a thousand MMRLEs in pink powdercoat if that was the only option.

It's like begging manufactures to give us less while prices sky rocket.

Skyrocket? A year ago I'd have to pay five figures for a decent MM. Now I can get one NIB for $8k!

And to answer your question yes having options and upgrades that the LE will offer is important to me and has made me keep my order.

That doesn't answer my question, but thanks for playing.

#569 6 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

if the issues of chipping and color mismatch on powder coating was in any way a serious issue for Stern, they would also stop it cold turkey

Indeed. But if you were PPS and could sell 1,000 MMRLEs in an hour, either dealing with powdercoat issues or not, which would you choose?

#570 6 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

Indeed. But if you were PPS and could sell 1,000 MMRLEs in an hour, either dealing with powdercoat issues or not, which would you choose?

It's about making customers happy, and building a reputation for the sales of FUTURE pins.

#571 6 years ago

So, then why is he dealing with all this and now offering a black option? Doesn't trying to make customers happy count for something? Maybe, if he treats customers right this time around they will want to buy from him again on the next go around.

Quoted from yancy:

#572 6 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

So, then why is he dealing with all this and now offering a black option?

Because gold is a pain in the ass if you want it to be durable and look anything like gold.

Quoted from jalpert:Doesn't trying to make customers happy count for something?

Yes! I'm happy he's offering black. I'm happy he's offering stainless on standards. The only thing that could make me unhappy with regard to MMR at this point is if it somehow doesn't pan out, or if I can't afford one.

#573 6 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

Yes! I'm happy he's offering black. I'm happy he's offering stainless on standards. The only thing that could make me unhappy with regard to MMR at this point is if it somehow doesn't pan out, or if I can't afford one.

Envious?

#574 6 years ago

Yah, he found that out.

Quoted from yancy:

Because gold is a pain in the ass if you want it to be durable and look anything like gold.

I would be VERY surprised if it didn't happen. Honestly, I can see where you're coming from, and I can see where others are coming from. I like my games stock, I personally don't care about what color the rails are. On one hand, I can understand people who do. On the other hand, I can't fathom someone canceling this game over it. But, it doesn't matter if you get it, or I do, nor not, those people exist.

Quoted from yancy:

#575 6 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

Hwawonyu said:
Actually Yancy I jumped in only when I saw the LEDs and they added black powder coat.

Hwawonyu said:
Hate the metal look and the bother of replacing it. So standard version works for you and this got my check mailed in.

After they said the LEDs would be soft I was worried they were trying to soften it to look like bulbs. I had an LE on order but realized the trim is big deal to me. So I cancelled. Figured easier to buy one after the rush and someone did it. The second black trim was on the table I mailed my check. I have no idea if the rails would be like Stern or like Williams which can muck up the side art when being replaced.

Not all but yes the new wave of pin owners at todays price like our games a certain way. I am one of them. Put the right bells and whistles in and you win my dollars.

#576 6 years ago

I see really zero incentive to purchase a standard at this point. You pay the exact same as for the LE but, get less options and quality (referring to the cab upgrade). The only incentive I can possibly see it waiting for the consensus of the first wave of buyers, in case there are some unexpected problems. I really don't see this being an issue at this point as PPS appears to have a solid support system in place. At least with Stern and JJP the standards were cheaper so the incentive for getting less features\options was saving money, in this case there just is very little logic in going standard.

#577 6 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

I see really zero incentive to purchase a standard at this point. You pay the exact same as for the LE but, get less options and quality (referring to the cab upgrade). The only incentive I can possibly see it waiting for the consensus of the first wave of buyers, in case there are some unexpected problems. I really don't this being an issue at this point as PPS appears to have a solid support system in place. At least with Stern and JJP the standards were cheaper so the incentive for getting less features\options was saving money, in this case there just is very little logic in going standard.

well, i think it's fine that people willing to plunk down $1000 sight-unseen and take that chance get a little extra for the risk. why shouldn't they?

#578 6 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

well, i think it's fine that people willing to plunk down $1000 sight-unseen and take that chance get a little extra for the risk. why shouldn't they?

You sir are a big ... haha just kidding pez, its always temping to go Pinside on someone for no reason. Anyway, I agree with you on the perks for early adopters but, at the same time if PPS is really serious about selling standards, they are going to need to drop the price a bit for it to make sense for the potential buyers. It's just hard to imagine people willfully paying the same price for less, if nothing else then just out of the pure principle of doing so. At least that's how I feel about it.

#579 6 years ago

Exactly. A shaker motor isn't a $160 Stern shaker. The Williams shaker kits are usually $250. Trim, plaque, number, shaker, beefier cab... But Rick also talked about making the color DMD free for LE owners and a charge for standard. For me, I don't want to wait 6 extra months for the game, but there is plenty incentive to buy the LE IMO.

Quoted from bigdaddy07:

I see really zero incentive to purchase a standard at this point. You pay the exact same as for the LE but, get less options and quality (referring to the cab upgrade).

#580 6 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

It's just hard to imagine people willfully paying the same price for less, if nothing else then just out of the pure principle of doing so. At least that's how I feel about it.

I feel the same way. But then again, do you want to stand on principles or do you want a brand spankin' new MM in the box!

#581 6 years ago
Quoted from Hwawonyu:

The second black trim was on the table I mailed my check. I have no idea if the rails would be like Stern or like Williams which can muck up the side art when being replaced.

What happened to PLAY BEFORE YOU BUY! Oh wait, forgot you could play this one before its even made

Wish I could have been there to see this one in person, from all accounts the colors and Led's are amazing. The one I played at Pinballz does not excel in those areas!

#582 6 years ago

Lol I still feel I stayed the course. As you said we have played MM. Also I waited until the reveal at TPF and getting the exact trim I wanted. And if course I still wS able to snag the LE ; )
Had I not I would have been ok buying a resale too.

#583 6 years ago

You don't want options then get the standard simple as that. 8K is a lot and I want options sorry you don't like that for whatever reason. I'm not sure why we'd be concerned that there is hassle with options on such an expensive purchase. It's like begging manufactures to give us less while prices sky rocket. Makes little sense to me but as always to each their own. And to answer your question yes having options and upgrades that the LE will offer is important to me and has made me keep my order.

Couldn't disagree with you more. Your approach/preference may be a little too old school for me to understand perhaps mine to new for you. I've never had any issues with the powder coat on my pins. To each their own...

You actually believe p/c is more durable than stainless steel??

#584 6 years ago

Well when you scratch or chip your PCoating you have some choices to try to repair it... none particularly good.

With stainless you can simply sand away marks and scratches. In fact you polish to an almost chrome-like shine.

I like both looks myself but there are good reasons for either choice... stainless is not just for us "old school" relics

#585 6 years ago
Quoted from Manic:

Well when you scratch or chip your PCoating you have some choices to try to repair it... none particularly good.
With stainless you can simply sand away marks and scratches. In fact you polish to an almost chrome-like shine.
I like both looks myself but there are good reasons for either choice... stainless is not just for us "old school" relics

exactly, I've played many p/c'd game some look good, some like ass. There's nothing wring with dong what you want to your game,. but to think its a more durable option than plain stainless is just wrong.

#586 6 years ago
Quoted from calvin12:

exactly, I've played many p/c'd game some look good, some like ass. There's nothing wring with dong what you want to your game,. but to think its a more durable option than plain stainless is just wrong.

To some powdercoat just looks better man and is a durable option. Why is that so hard to understand I thought I was making my point pretty clear. For HUO environments you don't necessarily need the most durable option. Which is exactly why powdercoat has become more prevalent lately. Almost all makers are using it because many home buyers like it.

You have made your preference very well known as have I so from this point on let's let others discuss what they want to.

#587 6 years ago

I want, as my choice, one pink side rail, one teal, I want the lockdown bar painted like a 70's raping van and cheetah skin legs!

#588 6 years ago

For 8,000 plus shipping I want it to shine. How about polished stainless steel from the factory? If shinny gold is not an option.

#589 6 years ago

Polished black would work for me, but ultimately I'm just happy to see these being made in the first place. Honestly, I never thought I'd see the day.

#590 6 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

I think anyone who buys this game is going to do one thing: enjoy it. Clearly anyone who thinks otherwise doesn't have one on order. It's a classic game...last time I checked it was #1 on Pinside.

Very Well Said.

#591 6 years ago

If I could pick up an LE now I would, but it's just not in the cards for me right now. Either way sounds like Rick is doing things right, and the machine will be a hit. I'm not even in on the pre-order and was excited about seeing and hearing updates about it.

#592 6 years ago

A quick question for the folks that played MMr at the show. There seemed to be a lot of reports of weak flippers which were explained as being caused by low line voltage where they were plugged in. Rick even said there were adjustments in the game to compensate for this issue. But then nothing more was ever said about it. Did someone ever go into the menu and adjust for the lower voltage, and did this seem to improve the problem with weak flippers? Or were the games ever moved to another circuit that was not so overloaded? I think everyone just assumed this was a non-issue, it might have been nice to see this demonstrated while the games were still getting a lot of play...

#593 6 years ago

From what I heard, there is an adjustment but nobody said it was a menu adjustment. Also, the voltage wasn't low, it was fluctuating the entire time. So, at several points it was being moved up and down etc so it was probably never perfect. I think they would have greatly preferred a consistent low, then they could have compensated and been done with it.

Quoted from viper001:

A quick question for the folks that played MMr at the show. There seemed to be a lot of reports of weak flippers which were explained as being caused by low line voltage where they were plugged in. Rick even said there were adjustments in the game to compensate for this issue. But then nothing more was ever said about it. Did someone ever go into the menu and adjust for the lower voltage, and did this seem to improve the problem with weak flippers? Or were the games ever moved to another circuit that was not so overloaded? I think everyone just assumed this was a non-issue, it might have been nice to see this demonstrated while the games were still getting a lot of play...

#594 6 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

Thanks for your feedback Captain Obvious!

I just watched your hotels.com commercial and I LOL'd, nice job!

3 months later
#595 6 years ago

Just paid deposit on MMR LE - stainless option
Have had black powder in acdc le and brass in lotr le- you cant avoid the wear marks on these trims but the classic stainless looks better IMO like the original and parts can be replaced easier and cheaper!
Wow cant believe im getting back into pinball after 18month exit. Thanks to MMR im back!

#596 6 years ago

Congrats MrTilt. You must have got Wayne's last one by the sounds of it.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 259.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
There are 596 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 12.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside