• Latest reply 7 years ago by labnip
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20150422_071306.jpg
batman_is_riding_an_elephant_by_crazybeanie-d56le1b.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rarehero.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#27 8 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

They could fix this with an update to the hypervisor software. IIRC, DCS tends to reserve one of the four channels for voices, another for music, and the other two for SFX. They could lower the output of the music channel slightly. Or, simply provide a mechanism to allow the end-user to adjust the volumes of the four channels independently (in the same menu system they currently use to select display color and flipper power).

Sounds like this is what's going to happen. On the PPS forum, Rick said he's recommended that CGC either tweak the levels or add an option for the user to adjust the levels separately. I feel like the full color software update will also include the audio tweaks & DMD tearing fix.

#28 8 years ago
Quoted from viper001:

For over a year (before the games started being produced) we heard endless assurances and reviews of this new platform that the sound was going to be "better" than the original, primitive DCS compressed games. Most of these reviews came from folks that had never seen/heard/played one in person as they were just parroting what the salesmen was telling them.
My advice, if the sound is not "better" as was advertised you should not be spending money fixing it, you should be putting in tickets to see what the MFG will do to fix it. For one thing such changes could be voiding your warranty if you do. Your baseline is the original game, for the most part that platform did not crackle, and the voice call outs could be heard just fine even on the stock speakers. IMHO.

Now having my MMr for about a month, I can weigh in on this with a more detailed review of the sound.

-Voices are crystal clear - better than WPC'95.

-Music is accurate but lacks "oomph" - however, the original might have been like this - I'm just used to games with upgrades speakers and external subs. Once I hooked up my MMr to an external sub, it had "oomph" like my other games.

-Game power up "bong" sound sounds like shit compared to a real B/W. Dunno why...but when I first heard this distorted sound, I thought maybe the speakers were busted and that's why my sound lacked "oomph". I think they've just got the volume for that sound set wrong or it's an emulated sound effect or something. Oh well...doesn't affect the in-game sound.

-The voice levels of the castle bosses are a bit low. They're there and clear, but often get drowned out by music and sound FX. Princesses & trolls are loud and at a good level. My guess is that this has something to do with using the uncompressed original sound files - maybe the compressed ones had their levels adjusted in software or something.

Sounds like PPS/CGC are on the case, and some (if not all) of these issues should be addressed in a software update.

#30 8 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

WMS 6.5" cab speaker vs Stern/JJP/everyone else 8" cab speaker.

May be overdriven in software, or could be the speakers they used are just crap. If I turn on a DCS game I've added amps to but left stock speakers in, the bong sounds pretty badly distorted, but the music and sounds are fine. Take a look at the MMr backbox speakers, and if they look cheap, switch them for some good ones. The MMrs at Expo 2014 sounded like they used $4 speakers...

They're definitely cheap. Gonna upgrade at some point. As a test I ran the game through some old bookshelf speakers and it was much more robust - but that "bong" sound was still weird.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 129.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 130.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinwize.com

$ 35.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 12.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Decals
Creative Mods

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 16.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

$ 24.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 225.00
Cabinet - Other
FlyLand Designs

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rarehero.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mmr-sound-issue?tu=rarehero and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.