Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20200206_143132 (resized).jpg
received_585387715369103 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinballaddicted.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

Hey Guys,

I am interested to know if anyone has successfully repaired a playfield PCB on a MMR?

Specifically we need to replace Q47B Solenoid 28 left gate driver FET.

Many Thanks

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from arolden:

Hey Con,
Is Ken able to do this? If not, I should be able to do it if you need a hand. Let me know!

Hey Alex,

Appreciate the help very much. I thought of you and Ken straight away. The board looks like a sandwich and I want to make sure the part can be successfully replaced before I ask you guys. Remember the wire I got you to re seat in the connector? Same issue, I think PCB had a faulty FET all along from new. I have not had a good look but I think the FET is surface mount. (looks like a chip)

Take care and keep smiling!

#4 4 years ago

Here is a photo of the little sucker that has had a meltdown. I was hoping CGC would replace the board under warranty as the game is approx 18 months old and the original request was made while the game was still under warranty.

We have ordered the replacement FET and thanks to arolden found a person to replace the chip. I will update once we have the game working again.

received_585387715369103 (resized).jpegreceived_585387715369103 (resized).jpeg
3 weeks later
#5 4 years ago

For anyone interested we purchased 10 x MOSFET from China. They took approx. 3 weeks to arrive to Aistralia. We took the board out of the machine and down to our local electronics repair guy. I showed him what needed replacing. He replaced the MOSFET in about 30 minutes.

Put the board back in the machine and the game works perfect. Big solenoid and light board is serviceable. Repair guy said he could successfully replace any item on the board.

#7 4 years ago

FDS6912A.

That is the part number from the top of the MOSFET.

Good luck!

20200206_143132 (resized).jpg20200206_143132 (resized).jpg
#10 4 years ago
Quoted from Ronkz650:

Anyone that wants to attempt to replace these surface mount chips, it's not all that hard to do without anything special. Add solder to the legs of the old chip to make them easier to get melted for removal, then use a pick or similar to bend back each lead off the board as you unsolder them one at a time until all are folded back against the chip. The chip is glued to the board, so pull up off the board with pliers. Clean off all solder with wick, add some flux to the connections and to the chip legs, line up the legs and carefully solder. I've done hundreds of them. These type are easy. A little tougher on 100 pin ic's.
The hard part is getting these Chinese chips. They are pretty much made special for the manufacturers and getting info and parts in your hands near impossible many times. Good job in getting the board fixed.

I have since shown the repairer Stern CPU and node boards and CGC CPU and Solenoid boards. If I can provide the parts, he can replace any component on the boards. Low temp solder (you cannot even see the repairs and this does no damage to the board itself), microscope, robot if required for the really small stuff. The kid is a genius and has never seen a pinball machine, let alone played one. The part number for the FET came directly off the FET itself and a friend of ours sourced the part from ebay for us.

The main playfield PCB in the game has never been right and I could see where the board was in and out at the factory. Plenty of the screws were stripped and there were screws missing with the screw holes in the playfield. We had issues with the left and right control gate for the last 7 or eight months, sometimes it would work and sometimes it would not. Turns out to be the same FET that controls both 12V gates.

Game plays beautifully now, loops work as they should.

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

Thanks for posting this and the parts info, I just picked some up.

For me, that is what Pinside is all about, helping each other. I am sure there will be plenty others that have the same issue, I hope this thread helps them out.

#13 4 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Nice work and thanks for sharing. Kid is used to working on iphones. These boards probably seem like land of the giants to him.

Thanks. Yes, you are right. Most of his business is retrieving data and repairing iphones.

Nice to know we have someone in Australia that can repair all the new boards with surface mount technology. A definite win for us as he is local.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC
Various novelties

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinballaddicted.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mmr-replace-fet-playfield-pcb-q47b?tu=pinballaddicted and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.