• Latest reply 10 years ago by coasterguy
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pipe.gif
bears-still-suck-npl.gif

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider banker.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from houseofpin:

As many of you know I have long been in the camp that a pinball machine is like MOST CARS and should be a "depreciating asset". Therefore, for me everyone is focusing on the immediate impact on MM but I am focusing on the "collateral damage" to the other titles that are high priced. Personally, I would be surprised if that is not as bad but time will tell.
I truly doubt many are going to step up to the plate for a nice shape MB for over $12K with the strong possibility it can be remade as well. Same goes true for a CC in my opinion.
I have ALWAYS felt that the value in a pin is its FUN FACTOR coupled with its AVAILABILITY. A fun pin with limited availability is PRICED HIGH. I have NEVER nor will I ever believe that a pinball machine is fine art (i.e. a Picasso painting as they can't be recreated). If I am right then the price of a mint MM will be priced less then a re-make. For me, the newer one should be worth more not less since you have no maintainance issues and a warranty so I am going to follow this closely.
My feeling is the prices of the older MM's will be priced closer to TZ's now which is supposedly the #2 machine. That would make sense to me.....so my feeling is ones in good shape will be had in the $5K range and the really nice ones closer to $7K.....
Again, my opinion but more importantly it will set the bar on the other high priced pins. Main reason the most expensive older pin I have purchased (and I am very new to the hobby) was a TZ about 6 months ago fully modded out for $4,850.....that was my "high water mark" and a SS for around $4K. I never bought into this "appreciation forever" and assumed both my SS and TZ (which for me will always be worth the money I paid) were priced fairly and even if they re-make those titles I would keep mine as I feel new titles will depreciate as well so why pay almost double just to have a new pin of the same title....not worth it to me.
So my bet the more I have thought about it......and I just found out about it a couple of days ago so my "knee jerk reaction" was a 10-15 percent hair-cut on high priced pins is that they will sell for LESS then the re-makes in short order unless I am wrong and the older machines are like "fine art" or "classic cars" and I have never bought into that argument so we ALL FINALLY GET TO FIND OUT WHICH CAMP WAS RIGHT. I always bet that I was right and why I always stayed away from these older high priced titles when I built my collection 6 months ago.

I think you are 100% correct. Thanks for your thoughts.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.95
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 12.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 130.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinwize.com

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 64.99
Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 16.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 129.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 35.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 24.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Decals
Creative Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider banker.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mmr-remake-and-collateral-damage?tu=banker and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.