MM , TAF , Lost N Space , etc ,,, 166.jpg
MM , TAF , Lost N Space , etc ,,, 163.jpg
All Picts- 101.jpg
waldo-finds-himself.jpg
finishing my coffee.jpg
troll-chart-1.png
anger-1.gif
650L.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tigerlaw.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#10 9 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

one sold yesterday in under 3 hours, granted it was for $7200 IIRC.

Yep, $800 savings. That one was a good deal. I am not sure many new people are going to come in at 8k at this stage. Perhaps once the game is shipping, which will be soon apparently.

#18 9 years ago
Quoted from edwinpblue:

I Asked Jack G about a refund and he said maybe if my spot sells (I'm paraphrasing).

Question: is he the one who is selling your spot or are you the one who needs to find the buyer? I guess what I am asking is if someone new called him does he sell them an entirely new spot or is there a list that Jack is running where he is actively transferring people's spot?

Or, do you not know?

#20 9 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

They are in breach of contract and there are consumer protection laws that are in place just for this very example (i.e. missed promises of deadlines, changed product, lack of clearly and publicly posted pre-order policy > not the policy does not mean jackshit once they have breached for changing the expected product and missed delivery).

You are not able to say this with full certainty.

Do you have the contract they allegedly breached? One benefit of selling through distributors (for a manufacturer) is the distributor has to deal with angry customers. The distributor (usually) has a level of insulation as well because most distributor purchase agreements with a customer contain clauses saying they are not responsible for delays from the manufacturer (and different jurisdictions look to enforce those clauses in different ways and it is certainly not uniform from state to state).

I don't know the answer to these questions, as I have not seen what anyone signed when they paid their deposit. But getting a deposit back is always messy when paid to third parties who are able to point the finger at someone else.

#30 9 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

but I question how you can be so sure that all MMr buyers have an open-and-shut case for a full refund at this point.

To piggy back on this good point, the problem is not limited to whether someone has a valid cause of action, but what sort of practical recourse is there to that cause of action?

I can say with a reasonable measure of confidence that no attorney (unless it is a close family member doing you a favor) is going to take a case on a contingent basis with $1,000 in damages regardless of the underlying merit.

Some people will respond to that by saying "I'd just take them to small claims court myself" . . . the answer to that is, what if there is a forum selection clause in the contract that says any dispute is heard (through by arbitration or the courts) in Texas or Delaware or California (or Mexico...).

When you talk about legal recourse, nothing is ever easy, nothing is ever simple, and rarely is $1,000 enough to really fight over (there are always exceptions).

#45 9 years ago
Quoted from Skins:

JJP as far as I know didn't have a written refund policy or a formal contract.

This surprises me. Jack is not new to the world or retail and he does have attorneys he works with regularly. One would think he would not take money in without a formal contract of some kind; I guess the matter was rushed together so perhaps some mistakes were made . . .

#50 9 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

I hear you there. Preorders exist to capitalize on excitement. But, you had better be prepared to deliver on that excitement in short order, or people are going to get restless and move on to other things.

Best post of the day in any thread.

#64 9 years ago
Quoted from Skins:

Nope. The only "contract" I had was a cashed check with "MMRLE deposit" on the memo line.

That certainly would free up a lot of options for someone looking to get a recovery. While it doesn't entirely end forum/venue issue I identified (for discussion purposes only) as venue is always an issue it would address the concern of stipulating to some unknown or unreasonable venue at the time the contract was signed.

#65 9 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

After quarter two came and went so did quarter three. But the machine wouldn't take any quarters even when complete.

You needed a Jay Leno drum roll on that joke . . .

#131 9 years ago
Quoted from edwinpblue:

His exacts words were "if I can sell your game I can give you a refund." I don't know if he is actively trying to sell my spot.

Just my personal suggestion: you should ask them the question as I posed it. If the burden is on you to find a buyer you need to know. If it is on him then you should ask what number you are in his list and how long does he project this to take based on the number of games he has sold the last three months.

#179 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

At Expo 2013, MMr was ALL the talk. All the excitement surrounded MMr. People were preordering it left and right. "Holy crap, a new MM for only $8k, that kicks ass"!
Question: if MMr was announced for the first time at Expo 2014, how would it have been received? Given all the other options that were there, including TBL, Heighway, WOOLY, Hobbit etc?

So, this is a great question. I think had MM been delayed a year we would have continued to see it inflate in value so the 8k number would have still been perceived as a bargain causing wild pre-orders.

There were over a dozen Pinsiders destroying Congos and NBAs for nothing more than boards and the cabinet. The MM craze was insane as it was viewed as the ultimate gotta have collector piece. Another year might have seen rout beaters over 15k and HEPs at 25...heck, we were almost there anyway. I'm not sure TBL or anything else would have stopped the buzz of MMr.

Just think if the announcement for MMr had the full prototypes ready...it would have been an insane craze of orders.

#186 9 years ago
Quoted from kidchrisso:

I keep waiting for Teekee's "I told you so"...

You missed it. He is attempting to victory lap on page one of this very thread.

#198 9 years ago
Quoted from 2RustyBalls:

Ask the guys at Stern what they think of PPS! You'd be very surprised what they say.

This thread really isn't a PPS issue frankly. More of an issue with a distributor. I'm not sure if Stern, a competitor of both JJP and PPS (granted, one in business with PPS) has an opinion that would be relevant to the subject matter.

#199 9 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

Not really. Nobody is making a fortune flipping MM's anymore.

Which is part of the reason the buzz on MMr is now down. Just think if 13 months ago someone told you in a year you could get a NIB MM shipped to your door for under 8k and you won't want it anymore. You'd laugh at that person...I know I would have.

Anyway, I'm pumped still for MMr to be released. I'm not in on one at this time (I suffer to badly from preorder anxiety) but I'm sure I will have one eventually.

#247 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

No it wasn't.
Not even close. I don't buy for a second that he was acting out in some kind of role from the movie. Didn't even come close to appearing that way. What it came across as was unprofessional, and someone that was trying too hard to be cool.
Great product. Terrible presentation.

This could not be more spot on. Unless you are a stand up comedian there really is no reason ever to curse when presenting to a large group of people, it just doesn't come off professionally. Act like you have been there before . . .

#265 9 years ago
Quoted from PinballHog:

Guys you can't sell ANY pin for what you paid for it when the pin has not even come out or is still being produced. If someone can buy one direct from a distributor they are not going to buy one from an individual unless they can get it cheaper from them. After the games have stopped being made is when you would want to sell your game if you don't want it anymore. Even then you will probably lose money because you bought a NIB game. If you are in the hobby to make a little money or brake even buy old beat up games fix them up, play them for a while then sell them. That's the only way you are going to get your money back. Bring on some more remakes!!!

This part of your post was awesome. I don't see how this point could be challenged reasonably.

Quoted from PinballHog:

Most of the new games in my opinion stink. Most are doing a poor job in trying to copy what has already been done years ago, and they keep doing it over and over again.

This part of your post was not awesome. There has been innovation (granted, I think RFM was more advanced than any game produced by Stern) over the past fifteen years. Color changing LED's is big, deeper code and rule sets is big (compare the rules on BSD or DW to LOTRs or WOZ...), there are other improvements we have all seen especially the last couple of years.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 24.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 109.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 9.95
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 35.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
PFX Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 44.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 130.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinwize.com

$ 99.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tigerlaw.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mmr-refund-1?tu=tigerlaw and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.