Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_7592 (resized).JPG
IMG_7591 (resized).JPG
#1 8 years ago

Since I might actually get an MMR one of these days, I was wondering what the general feeling is in which protectors to install?

#2 8 years ago

I'm interested as well.

I bought both sets of protectors.

#3 8 years ago

My understanding is that with new playfields, Mantis is adequate. Cliffy's are generally to cover existing damage although they are commonly installed to prevent damage as well.

Mantis are unobtrusive.
Cliffy's change the look of the game but many like the look as Cliffy has done a great job in designing them.

Having said all of that, some people install both (just in case?).

#4 8 years ago
Quoted from lukex:

My understanding is that with new playfields, Mantis is adequate. Cliffy's are generally to cover existing damage although they are commonly installed to prevent damage as well.
Mantis are unobtrusive.
Cliffy's change the look of the game but many like the look as Cliffy has done a great job in designing them.
Having said all of that, some people install both (just in case?).

I have Cliffy protectors installed in some of my games and Mantis protectors installed in some of my games. For games with new/restored/undamaged playfields I prefer to install the Mantis protectors if they are available.

For games with existing VUK hole damage the Cliffy protectors are my preference and there are also some games for which there are Cliffy protectors available, but not Mantis protectors (TZ, Congo and TFTC come to mind and there are also others) available. The Cliffy protectors are a little more noticeable when installed, however they look very nice installed as do the Mantis protectors.

Both products are very good at protecting your playfield and both products look very nice installed. You really cannot go wrong with either protector.

Gord

#5 8 years ago

Mantis all the way on new openings. I'm not sure on the mmr playfields (Churchill made playfield) but the mirco playfield took some finesse to get the mantis protector in the Merlin hole. I highly recommend the mantis drawbridge protector. It's perfect and comes with a cobble stone pattern laser etched into it. Mantis doesn't make a catapult protector but cliffy does.

4 months later
#6 8 years ago

I just fitted the Mantis full kit to my MMR all good except for the Merlin hole, I bent it as suggested to get it in and then bent it back once installed to get a flush fit. But I found that my ball eject solenoid runs so close to the edge of the hole that it hits on the protector, there was no way to adjust this, no movement on the solenoid mounting to give it more clearance and the protector was sitting as snug as it could go.

So I have removed it and after multiple bends to get it in and out and even trying to manipulate the protector where the solenoid travels the protector is looking a bit shabby now so I think it will just go in the bin.

IMO this was not an install error on my part as there is just not enough clearance to allow the protector thickness.

I'm going to order a Pinbits Merlin Hole protector instead, I know that doesn't quite do the same job but it's best I can do.

I'm happy with all the other Mantis protectors

#7 8 years ago

Mantis for MMR here on two machines so far and I highly recommend them for new playfields. The Merlin protector was a nice effort but went in the trash after testing on both.

#8 8 years ago

I had trouble with the merlin protector. Ditched it.

#9 8 years ago

I have the merlin mantis protector and the cliffy as well ,overkill maybe ,but no problems

#10 8 years ago

Do you have to drill a hole to install the mantis castle protector??

#11 8 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Do you have to drill a hole to install the mantis castle protector??

yes

#12 8 years ago

I didn't drill a hole for my castle protector I put double sided tape under the part that covers the castle secret entry and left the screw hole unused. The tape and the other screw in the centre that is an existing screw are enough to secure it as per the installation instructions.

#13 8 years ago

+1 I didn't drill a hole either. Works perfectly.

1 year later
#14 6 years ago

Decided to resurrect an old thread.

I tried to install the Mantis protector for the merlin hole, but as it hides the slot where the eject vuk is supposed to go, it seems impossible. It would be nice to see pics from underside on the merlin hole of mantis protector - how in earth have people managed to install it!

EDIT: I guess one way to try it, is to leave the mantis protector without screws, install the eject vuk and after that install the mantis screws. That way the mantis protector can move away from the eject vuk atleast a bit. Will have to try it.

#15 6 years ago
Quoted from Nepi23:

I tried to install the Mantis protector for the merlin hole, but as it hides the slot where the eject vuk is supposed to go, it seems impossible. It would be nice to see pics from underside on the merlin hole of mantis protector - how in earth have people managed to install it!
EDIT: I guess one way to try it, is to leave the mantis protector without screws, install the eject vuk and after that install the mantis screws. That way the mantis protector can move away from the eject vuk atleast a bit. Will have to try it.

Mantis has a pdf showing pics of their protector kit installation, which includes the mantis hole protector from underneath the playfield. Worked well enough here.

#16 6 years ago
Quoted from Nepi23:

You should be able to rotate the Mantis protector so the tab on the left is lower and opens up the slot where the top solenoid curved bracket can recess in it. Yes do not drill until you mark the slot holes when this is accomplished. Drill the holes slightly smaller and as deep as the install screws for the protector. Otherwise the playfield wood will crack around the installed screw. The trick with this Mantis Merlin hole protector is do not bend it to fit it, maybe just a slight bend only because once bent the aluminum will not bend back if you make a mistake.

#17 6 years ago

I managed to get the solenoid's curved bracket in by not attaching the screws for the Mantis protector first. I put the curved bracket in its place and it fit under the Mantis protector. After that I attached the Mantis protector left screw. The right screw is under the solenoid bracket, it was not possible to attach it, but the Mantis protector seems to be sitting firmly in its place, so I am ok with that. Thanks for any tips!

#18 6 years ago

this are the 2 new Cliffy for MMR

IMG_7591 (resized).JPGIMG_7591 (resized).JPG

IMG_7592 (resized).JPGIMG_7592 (resized).JPG

#19 6 years ago
Quoted from kapsreiter:

this are the 2 new Cliffy for MMR

Where did you get these? Interested...

#20 6 years ago
Quoted from Nepi23:

I managed to get the solenoid's curved bracket in by not attaching the screws for the Mantis protector first. I put the curved bracket in its place and it fit under the Mantis protector. After that I attached the Mantis protector left screw. The right screw is under the solenoid bracket, it was not possible to attach it, but the Mantis protector seems to be sitting firmly in its place, so I am ok with that. Thanks for any tips!

I think my friend who did the install said that he put mantis bracket in and test fitted it, then installed the vuk while minding the mantis bracket position. From there he screwed the mantis protector down with no interference issues.

#21 6 years ago
Quoted from KozMckPinball:

Where did you get these? Interested...

direct from Cliff

5 months later
#22 6 years ago

What kind of double sided tape did you guys put under the mantis castle entry protector? I am concerned about putting something too strong that would peel off clear if I someday want to remove the protector.

#23 6 years ago
Quoted from bobmorlock:

What kind of double sided tape did you guys put under the mantis castle entry protector? I am concerned about putting something too strong that would peel off clear if I someday want to remove the protector.

I am more concerned that that protector is not long enough to protect the hole edge on the other side of the lock door. I do not have the protector taped and seems fine, no screw either.

1 week later
#24 6 years ago

So is the consensus here Cliffy for everything except the castle entry? Looking to make a purchase here soon so appreciate the feedback!

#27 6 years ago

Try the cliffy moat jump instead of the mantis drain hole mentioned at that link. However, I put both in. The cliffy does a better job protecting the moat plastic in addition to the playfield wood. Although if you buy the mantis 4 piece set the drain hole is one of the 4.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 16.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 44.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 129.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 225.00
Cabinet - Other
FlyLand Designs

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Decals
Creative Mods

$ 64.99
$ 130.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinwize.com

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 24.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mmr-protectors-mantis-or-cliffy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.