(Topic ID: 67443)

MMR PPS and Overall Update - Official PPS (Oct 21, 2013)

By PPS

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 5,463 posts
  • 470 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by pmWolf
  • Topic is favorited by 98 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-77.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
pps.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Screenshot_2013-11-01-14-19-50.png
Screenshot_2013-09-14-17-45-13.png
yawn.jpg
Rick.jpg
42-3079-100.JPG
issue tissue.jpg
facepalmgroup.gif
elephant-in-the-room.jpg
math.gif
untitled.png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider the_dude_abides.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

#123 10 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Rick, thanks for taking the time to answer some questions and address people's concerns! It is much appreciated. I don't know what stage you are at in the build process, but I think you should strongly consider color matching at least some of the inserts. I mentioned this in another thread, but I will repeat it here, since I know you are reading this one. At the very least, all red and green inserts should be color matched. It boosts the color saturation and makes them look so much better. Conversely, yellow inserts should NOT be color matched. A yellow LED beneath a yellow inserts ends up looking kind of drab. I happen to think yellow inserts look best with cool white LEDs, but some people prefer warm white. When it comes to white/clear inserts, cool white is definitely the way to go. It gives them a nice crisp, modern look.
Just my two cents.

+4 on that..

Quoted from jackal2001:

How about metal leg protectors so the decals don't wrinkle.

These are a must have IMO. If they don't have them I will install them right away but would be much better if they cut decals and installed them straight from the factory.

#238 10 years ago
Quoted from lapean111:

Yeah, but it's not that fun taking appart a brand new game when you could be playing it!

white and how bouncy it is sucks IMO. To each their own.

#324 10 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Those decal protectors are the best innovation that Stern ever came up with. You guys should definitely look into them.

Yes, I agree 100%! If PPS doesn't have those or something similar factory installed your likely going to see plenty of unhappy customers posting pictures of messed up decals complaining about quality of the pin. Simple item like those cabinet protectors that prevent the legs from ever touching the cabinet would put that worry to rest.

#410 10 years ago
Quoted from TronGuy:

Again, I may not even be a buyer, but if guys are paying 8 grand for an LE, and guys who didn't get in early are paying 8grand for a std. What the hell is the difference if 1000 people send hate mail? I'd think the guys paying the same price for a seemingly lesser product and having to wait longer have the true gripe?

Well as a company that is new to the manufacturing game it is probably important that customers trust what you say. Those that got in on the LE had to go off of very little information and put down 1K to secure it. Standard owners have the luxury of being able to wait to see how the LE run goes before putting money down. That is unless they want the game sooner rather than later and are willing to put down a deposit. So there was an incentive for people to make the jump and be in on the project early not the first time we have seen that happen.

Post edited by The_Dude_Abides : I edited the post before you got your response posted. Point is LE buyers had to act quick not knowing all the details. I know I didn't

#580 10 years ago

Thanks for the kind words!

Quoted from scasey:

Good stuff, thanks.

No problem hope it makes it a little easier for some to keep up on the latest. I'll do my best to keep it as up to date as possible.

Quoted from gweempose:

I don't understand why everyone is all up in arms over the logo. Why would one care if the game looks exactly the same, when it clearly isn't? It's not like it will add value or increase its collectibility. It's a remake, and even if it had the Williams logo, it would still not be an original.

Yeah I could care less as well. But to each their own.

#652 10 years ago
Quoted from snikrap:

Thanks for the link Dude
Keith

No problem Keith glad to try and help fellow pinheads out when I can.

#778 10 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

I'm sure up until the time of wms approval as well as afterward.

Any idea on when the decision will be made by WMS to approve or not?

#875 10 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

MM - the only skill shot is the top lanes - so there's no reason for a light plunge.

I believe you can also hold left flipper down while plunging to send it around the loop for a super skill shot as well.

#1140 10 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

I'm hoping the quality of the wood used is equal to the original. When you play a Stern you can tell and I think their cabs are a pretty big part of that.

I think this is more user bias. I've had plenty side by side and there was no glaring deficiency in regards to cabinet construction in either direction IMO. Sorry don't want to derail the thread just couldn't keep my trap shut.

Quoted from jalpert:

I appreciate your opinion, I still disagree

Yeah we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one.

#1143 10 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

I disagree with your disagreeing to disagree.

DAMN YOU Ted!! Why won't you just let us disagree on our disagreement to not agree...

#1148 10 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

What he stated is plain fact,

No it's not sorry man. Are you the type that just can't stand that others see things differently than you?? Sorry you if had difficulty with yours I've never had a problem with one of my newer Stern cabs so far thankfully. I don't care about measuring in my time owning them never have they had issue nor did I think they felt inferior in any way.

Quoted from metallik:

"Disagree" all you want

Thanks for your permission chief!

Quoted from metallik:

We're seeing things differently? So you're seeing a 3/4" bottom panel where I'm seeing a 3/8" panel? Might need to get your eyes examined...
Or are you just a Stern fanboy who refuses to admit he's wrong? There is no "opinion" or debate about whether something measures 3/4" or 3/8". I also have to laugh at your 'feeling' comment, as we have ACDC, StarTrek and WOZ all next to each other, and the WOZ "feels" MUCH more solid than the other two. All are fun but the Sterns are rattletraps...
Also, you're not exactly the only one who has owned pins for many years...

Okay then your right no one but you has the right to an opinion on the matter since you think your opinion on how they feel when you play them is 'fact'. Back on subject there is no reason to even discuss this any further.

#1156 10 years ago

Their trying to make this thing happen its going to take some time/work. I'm sure when there is a worthwhile update Rick will let us know.

3 weeks later
#1309 10 years ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

@ PPS
I know you're looking into your gold trim options. For what it's worth, please don't use powder coat. Dull, gold tone powder coat is hideous and this game deserves to shine. A quality gold or brass plated finish would look 100x better. However, if you can't manage that without sacrificing durability, chrome would look great too.

Yeah the black chrome looks pretty slick to I probably prefer that over standard chrome on this title myself.

#1379 10 years ago
Quoted from Toasterdog:

This is blck chrome powdercoting. By the wy my letter "" does not work on this lptop. hh

Not the best exmple, but looks good to me.

Blckchromepowder.jpg 51 KB

I agree looks good to me as well plus you get the durability of powder coat. If you can get a nice black chrome look from a powder coat that would be the best way to go IMO.

#1441 10 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

I don't think the game is original, but it should look original. A few people are vocal on the whole black nickel thing, it's one thing to make it an option but another to force everyone to go that way.

You have the option to go stainless steel for the original look. So what is the problem with providing a durable option for the armor that many people think looks great? They would not be forcing anyone to do anything since the original steel look for the armor has always been and still is an option. I think the black chrome powder coat option looks better than the gold personally so I am glad Rick is looking into some different potential options.

#1452 10 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Isn't this an update thread? Take the trim talk to the trim thread.
Rick - your next update, please.....and include new pics, thanks

It's an open forum and in this thread I've seen suggestions/observations/concerns being voiced by customers and responded to by Rick. Which is a good thing in my view. If you want just updates go here.

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/medieval-madness-remake-updates

#1464 10 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

That's what I have been thinking ever since I have been seeing the wave of drop outs over the past month.

I love how a few online members is considered a wave. This is one of the most loved pins of all time and with all the other LE stuff selling for near $8K I highly doubt they will have trouble selling at the very least 1,000 units.

Quoted from 2RustyBalls:

MMR will always been know as the Knock Off MM, it's not a Williams game. Think about it, that's why Williams doesn't want their name on the game. Makes sense to me.

Okay dude glad it makes sense to you. Still makes no sense to me but to each their own. I personally am not paying 15-20K for an 20 year old pin simply because it has a Williams logo on it when I can get a NIB Remake that uses newer technology for $8K.

#1485 10 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

Well in one of the other threads here, that was the strong argument many guys where making, that they had all these buddies that where dropping out. I recall some guys saying something along the lines of out of 5 guys they know that made deposits, 4 of them dropped out. I'm just basing it off the flap that I was reading here. It sure sounded like a wave anyway. Maybe I wrong, I still think there is going to be a boat load dropping out before cutoff.

So who cares if 5 guys dropped out or that someone knew 5 that dropped out? These 'strong arguments' tend to be made by people that don't really want the project to have success whom have little access to actual information. Those that tend to make these type of claims are primarily by current owners or restorers. It's doubtful there is any wave of drop outs and am pretty darn sure they will sell all 1,000 LE models easily next year.

#1537 10 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

there may be other finishes in black which might be possible, I'll check in more ... but again, it's not a simple as it looks.

Yeah it seems black nickle would be too expensive and does have it's problems. Have you considered trying to get a metallic black powder coat? I think that would address the looks and durability concerns.

#1637 10 years ago
Quoted from teekee:

Exactly... why tie your money up for a long period of time just to instantly lose a grand? Once you pop the top and put your first plays on it you just burned a grand. Plus they aren't rare in the least so you'll see plenty changing hands once released. And unlike the originals there is little hope of getting your money back with these. That's just the hard facts.

Okay already we get it you don't like that they are remaking one of the best pins ever and that people are actually buying it. Not to mention you won't be able to flip it. Why do you insist on continually raining on the parade of those that want the pin? Your concerns sarcastic remarks and dislike are well documented. Just let it go man.

I'd rather have a NIB Remake than pay more for a 20 year old pin that is a cold hard fact.

Quoted from PPS:

Yes, we will be at TPF with some proto's at least, and then at PAGG for sure. The theme of TPF is Medieval Madness (done before anyone knew about the mmr), so we will have a presence there.

Awesome Ill be at PAGG can't wait!!!

#1715 10 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

We have unsold WOZ games in distributor inventory, we have unsold STLE games in inventory, we have new ST Premium games hitting inventory, we have unsold Metallica pro and even LE games in inventory. Who will buy all these, plus 1000 MMr, plus 1000+ Mustangs, plus 1000 WOZ 75ths, plus the botique games, all in the next 6 months?

Don't buy so many of the high priced pins and price will go down to point more people will buy what you have in stock. I think it is more reaching a price brink with how high Stern LE and regular models of JJP are wanting to sell their pins for. If customers don't buy then distributors eventually wont buy and manufacturers then know they can't go past that point. IMO pricing has gotten out of hand and that is the probable reason for your not selling what you have in stock as quickly.

You can not prevent new companies from entering the pinball manufacturing arena nor can you prevent pinheads from buying from them regardless of the argument. Prices on NIB pins should come down IMO if new competition helps facilitate that then I am all for it.

2 weeks later
#1996 10 years ago
Quoted from teekee:

Exactly! so sick of that "flipper" / "hater" crap. There are many reasons why some are not on the band wagon and it doesn't have to be so damn personal... can't believe the uproar from a made up word like "refake".

You've said your piece repeatedly now. Please don't continue to troll an update thread.

1 week later
#2118 10 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

One question I still have: Is the pf lighting an accurate 'emulation' of the original incandescent lamps? This is an important factor for me in deciding the fate of my pre-order. The lighting is not something that can be changed at home for this game, evidently.

I can answer that one with a simple no. LEDs just don't look like incandescent bulbs no matter what you do to them. LED light is brighter and their colors are much more vibrant than incandescent bulbs. I know not all will like that but I for one am very thankful that they are using LEDs as they are much less stressful on a pins hardware (less heat) and are brighter.

1 week later
#2255 10 years ago

News flash guys just about every new pin from here on out remake or not will have LEDs in them. Why? Because they put way less strain/heat on the hardware and provide more light with much richer color. For the most part color matching inserts except for orange and yellow is the best way to go when LEDs are used. Using white many times make the inserts look washed out.

LEDs will not look like incandescent bulbs guys just not gonna happen. I for one am glad they are doing what just about every maker of new pins is doing which is using LEDs for all lighting needs. I do agree that it needs to be right with no flicker or strobing. I haven't noticed any of that on new sterns or WOZ and have faith that PPS will get it right.

#2306 10 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

I'm sure we will have a early game in san jose ...

Well please let me know when it's done I'd love to come down and give it some play! Congrats on getting WMS approval that was a huge step in the right direction. Best of luck to you and the team going forward many of us pinball addicts are hoping you knock it out of the ball park.

#2377 10 years ago
Quoted from viper001:

I'm only going back to page 40, that's all you get!

Please lets not make this thread all about you. You've said your piece we get your stance.

#2382 10 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

People asked for examples to support his point and he provided them. That's how a discussion works.

I'm very aware how discussions on forums work. I'm here to make sure members don't make threads all about themselves. So I allowed him to respond to some inquiries and then asked him to stop for a while and allow others to discuss.

#2437 10 years ago

I am a little confused why some on here talk as if they know more about Rick's/PPS business then they themselves do. It is pretty evident that this project was started at least a year before the announcement was made. This project has likely been planned and in development for longer then many would think. How does an outsider have a better understanding than PPS on how much progress has been made towards final production at this point? They already have a test machine that got a thumbs up from Sharpe and was performing well enough to gain WMS approval. They seem to be moving full steam ahead with 4-5 months to dial things in.

Quoted from viper001:

This is a pinball discussion forum, is it not? I continue to notice that the least-civil people in these threads tend to be the fans/buyers who seem to think such discussion or suggestions are selfish people trying to delay or take away their new toy. I can't speak for everyone but that isn't my intention.

Yes this is a pinball discussion forum, however, it is not solely 'your' pinball discussion forum. There are other things/topics people want to discuss here other then this over and over again. I see no reason for you to criticize how buyers here act as it is their money and if they are happy with the progress and plan then so be it. You have no solid evidence to demonstrate why the project needs more time other than this is a new platform. We get your point. However, some of us think that due to you have no real clue as to how far along this project really is that you are basing most of your comments on pure speculation. You have explained your position on the subject over and over now I am asking you for a second time to let it go an allow the thread to move in a different direction.

Quoted from metallik:

This comment is unprofessional and disappointing - nothing Kyle has written deserves a response like this.

Well we will have to agree to disagree on this one he's taken up about a page of this thread making wild speculation regarding this project and how much time will be needed to complete it. Not based on any knowledge/facts of how long the project has been worked on or even how much headway they have made but upon pure speculation. When that happens a maker has every right to call them out IMO.

#2492 10 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Somehow people questioning design choices or future scheduling is being equated to personally attacking Rick/PPS/etc.

It's more so some claiming to know where the project is at and how much time would be needed to ship out a quality working machine. Questioning is fine but indicating that PPS is somehow skipping steps or insisting that their timeline is way off without any information to back it up what so ever is another thing.

Quoted from metallik:

If this thread isn't for discussing the project, what is it for? Isn't there an official, locked thread for PPS updates?

Discussing does not mean you or any other party taking over the thread. You can say your piece without trying to take over the direction of the entire thread man. Stating a stance over and over does not really add to the discussion it just adds to the number of times others need to read it over and over again. Your welcome to disagree but that is not going to change my stance on preventing members from trying to take over or troll threads on Pinside.

#2578 10 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

Just because you disagree with what I say does not give you the right to tell me to stop participating here.

I did not indicate it was you but moreso the one you kept trying to defend. I did not tell you to stop at this point but if I did then you would be expected to stop that's how it works. IMO you are getting very close to the point where I ask you to give it a bit of a rest here. This thread is not about you or me it's about a remake and a new company trying to put out their first pin. Lets drop this topic from here on out and move on please.

Quoted from flynnibus:

Well.. when entire segments of the normal process aren't present in the discussion.. that is somehow taboo to mention? Simple point.. field testing. Even manufacturers who were building on all proven platform tech used it - yet there was no mention of it from PPS. There was talk of 'approval ->

Testing has not begun so discussing what they 'missed' in testing is pretty premature. Of course we can sit here and speculate all day but until testing of prototypes begins that's just what it is. I get your points but as I said above please leave it alone and move on.

Quoted from Aurich:

IMHO this is how you do an LE. Same game, same play, but nice upgrades purely aimed at real collectors. Nicer wood bottom, nicer detailed interior, things some people care about and will pay extra for, but that don't bifurcate the gameplay and coding.

I agree 100% that is one reason I liked how Stern went about making ST pretty much the same gameplay/layout minus some nice bling of course.

#2589 10 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

I'd say the addition of a kickback is a pretty significant gameplay difference. It does add strategy, since keeping it lit becomes a priority (like so many other SRP games!) The LE is also easier in that all feeds from the mode-start saucer are fed to the inlane and not kicked out to the flipper.

Thanks for understanding. I agree it is a difference but not a big one IMO. That said, I'm not a huge fan of kickbacks so that could be the reason behind my indifference. The LE VUK does slow the game down a bit and returns to the flipper but even that IMO is a somewhat small difference. LE is definitely easier but to some that is not always preferable by all. Sometimes I like a little extra challenge like on the ST Pro. As always to each their own were not all gonna like the same stuff. The layout is exactly the same was my main point gameplay is slightly different IMO. Sorry to go off topic guys. I guess what I was trying to say is I would prefer all LE models have very small or even non existing gameplay/layout differences from the standard models as like with MMR.

Quoted from PPS:

I expect to have an Anti-Reflective glass (similar to Invisiglass TM) at least as a purchase option - the reason it makes sense to install it at the factory is that it's a pain and expensive to ship separately, so I want to get this put in as at least a discounted purchase option for the game. Stay tuned.
rick

Would price be pretty consistent with what is out there or would it be more affordable to add? If you don't know at this point I understand just figured I'd ask.

3 weeks later
#2811 10 years ago

Double ditto.

Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

"ish" is a tongue in cheek joke about another pinball maker. It's just for fun, don't read too much into it.

Careful now lets not go making too much sense.

1 week later
#2894 10 years ago
Quoted from turbo20lbs:

I'm just tired of working on my NIB pins as soon as I open them. I can't help it I always have to put on white rubber with Cliffy colored sleeves, Cliffy protectors and pinbits plastic protectors. This shit takes a lot of time once the game is in my hands and wouldn't take a lot of factory assembly time AS they are assembling the game anyway.

I HATE white rubbers and would never put them on any of my pins. I know they have become the 'in' thing but IMO they are way too bouncy. There is a reason almost no manufacturers put white rubbers in their pins.

#2895 10 years ago
Quoted from gprotein:

6 months ago, people were dreaming to have a nice MM for $8k, nevermind a NIB. A miracle happened, and it is happening. Now, people want white rubbers, plastic protectors, Cliffy protectors, different trim colors...etc included before delivery. Things sure changed.

I know it's crazy that people that are willing to drop $8K on a pin want options right. Just joking around man but IMO buyers have every right to ask for certain options and sometimes they even get them. So where is the harm in asking?

#2901 10 years ago
Quoted from miggitymac:

But what if they really tie the room together?

Well played sir, well played.

#2903 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I think people who put cliffys all over brand new games are nuts, mantis is different. cliffys are for saving games that are already wearing and you don't have much choice IMHO.

Not according to Cliffy. You don't want to put them on beat up spots they won't work as intended. I've always put Cliffys in shooter lane area it causes no damage and totally prevents wear in that area. IMO it's a no brainer to protect high wear areas before damage is done. Especially on high prices pins.

#2905 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

To each their own. I'm not paranoid about scuffs on my game, would rather see them then big hunks of metal.

Yup agree to disagree I can always do that. When people buy my pins they know they will be protected with little to no wear in typical wear areas. I think that could be why I usually have no problem selling when I need to.

#2918 10 years ago

Well if that's the case MMR will likely be the first and last remake I purchase. I just don't think many pins have the appeal to sell for $8K plus shipping (in large numbers). I could definitely be wrong about that I know.

#2938 10 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

Yes there is, and the reason is that black rubbers never look dirty. Truth.

No I don't think that would be the reason.. Go back through RGP and see why SR says he puts black rubbers in his pins. Plus black rubbers actually make the playfield look much dirtier from the debris. That said, I'd rather have to clean more often then to play with bouncy whites on.

#2942 10 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Have you tried the transparent rubbers? I think they have black-esque bounce but don't fray or leave any dirty debris! I'm not sure they'd look right on every game - but so far I put them on Avengers LE, STLE, and TRON LE and they look pretty awesome. I just picked up a POTC...gonna put them on that one too...I figure clear=water.

No but it sounds like it may be time for me to give 'em a shot though.

Quoted from retired_user_101:

black rubber on huo tron

Yup been there many times before myself. Another reason to look into the rubbers mentioned above.

#2976 10 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Yeah, that's not a spot you are supposed to be aiming for anyway.

It is if your trying to bounce pass.

1 week later
#3135 10 years ago

Good luck waiting for a 5K MMR. You may be waiting a very long time. Most getting MMR have played it a ton and know they love it. For that reason I think many buyers will be holding onto it for a long while.

#3249 10 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

fyi ... a few people have asked about mods and whether there will be mods and whether the existing mods will work. Yes, there will be mods (we don't make them others do), so I expect this to continue and maybe have more of. As to whether existing mods will work - I don't see why not, probably the only things that might need to be adjusted is where to take power from in certain circumstances, and as more is completed, that will become obvious to those making the mods and the mod makers can make any adjustments. As virtually all of the upper playfield parts are 'same' then I expect nothing in terms of fit/finish required.
rick

Will there be an easy way to access 12 V power to hook splitters up to? I know that is probably a silly question but I am a silly man.

4 weeks later
#3405 9 years ago

Please guys knock off all the political talk and lets try to keep this thread on topic. All other random topics can be discussed in new/different threads.

#3470 9 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

My goal if there are any future games is to have zero options

I understand having options has to provide frustrations for you all at PPS. I don't understand how it is a big ask to provide customers paying $8K+ for a remake with some options like type of glass (standard or something like invisiglass) and trim color. What you see as mistake may be for the best even if it causes some headache(s). With all the new pin buying options this type of dedication to customers could very well distinguish you from others manufacturers and generate more buyers in the end.

Of course there are way more important details then the trim color I think most understand that. So far you guys have done a great job in developing the remake and handling dialogue with the community. Many of these machines are going into collectors homes offering a few options on such a high priced remake shows you care about us picky pinball addicts. I can assure you it definitely doesn't/wont hurt your chances of getting more of my money in the future if you do end up remaking more.

1 week later
#3785 9 years ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

Well, shucks. I too have one of these on pre-order and was really looking forward to seeing & playing it this weekend. Seeing & playing it is a must for me before ponying up the rest of the cashola. How soon will a prototype be available to play at your San Jose location? Will MMR be at CAX?

I know bit of a bummer for all of us Nor Cal buyers I guess it's just how it goes sometimes. The Bay Area has a good amount of NIB pin buyers sure would be nice to be able to see and play it in person. With PPS located locally I thought it was a lock to be at both of our shows this year. I'd also be interested in knowing if we can play it at the San Jose location and/or at CAX.

3 weeks later
#3964 9 years ago

Wow so awesome to have 3 options for the LEs. Thanks PPS you all rock! Us pinball addicts salute you

Post edited by The_Dude_Abides: I was incorrect we have 3 options

#3976 9 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

- that leaves the shiny black - which will show all imperfections in the metal and the stampings as well as fingerprints, but the masses have spoken and that will be the black that we use.
[email protected]

Shiny black looks great thanks for the options! I edited my post to avoid any confussion.

#4004 9 years ago
Quoted from TaTa:

^^^ Considering they've given multiple options here (color trim & invis. glass), I would have thought that we would have all received e-mails from our distributers by now to make this deadline.

How much is it to add the invis glass option? I remember reading it would be an option and less than it is usually but haven't seen anything more about it? When a friend contacted a distributor the were basically charging how much it is usually. Just wondering if there is a bit a discount on adding it to LE.

#4009 9 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

There will not be anti-reflective glass as an option, but we (PPS) will offer some discount to MMR customers who want A/R glass and I suspect another large reseller will as well. Options (and even worse multiple options) create a huge issue with manufacturing and logistics, so the glass option will go that way instead ... sorry about this, but the pace that games will be made will make it difficult enough to sort out with the trim option.
rick

Thanks for clarifying Rick that is totally understandable I'd hate for production to get held up by this sort of thing. So far I haven't tried anything like this due to the high cost. Is this something you prefer MMR buyers to contact you after receiving their pin or should we try and get in touch with you before? I did not order my MMR LE from PPS as you were sold out would the discount apply to me as well?

I realize that this is not high priority for you as you begin with producing a run of your first pin. I've just been tempted to get some anti-reflective glass and figured a MMR LE would be a good way to try it out. If you don't want to deal with this right now I totally understand and will bring it up after production is up and running.

#4048 9 years ago

Ship has sailed with color choices guys. I think PPS has already gone well beyond others by listening to their buyers and offering up a variety of options. No other pin maker has done this. It is not all that simple and adds some more steps in production process but they still decided to offer a variety pretty damn cool of em IMO.

2 weeks later
#4146 9 years ago
Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

They will probably make standards but also probably less then 1000 which means the standard version will be more rare and possibly more valuable, not that it matters to me at all but some people buy pins as investments or to flip.

Well to my knowledge standards never have been and likely never will be more valuable then LEs. Name one standard edition of any pin that sells for more then the LE. I personally don't like having different models but it's how things are now days.

#4252 9 years ago
Quoted from herg:

If a second game is remade and there is still an option to select your own trim color, I will be shocked. The amount of drama this has caused is ridiculous. If I were Rick, you'd all be getting stainless, and you could deal with your own powdercoating.

On a toy this expensive options should be offered. Weird to me how so many pinheads ask makers to do less to keep the drama/hardship down. Really on a pin that is a remake that cost $8K plus shipping?? Well I for one want more options at that price tag not less.

#4294 9 years ago
Quoted from herg:

That's not the point I was trying to make. I'm glad there are options. My point is that with the amount of bitching Rick's seeing now plus the amount of bitching he'll inevitably see once these actually ship, I'd be surprised if he will be willing to run that gauntlet again.

I see your point but disagree of the end result. So Rick has had to deal with some online bickering. So what this is an $8K plus shipping product. Makers seem to always want things their way like pay 3 years in advance, put down $1K well before we ship, buy our product sight unseen because it is an "LE" and it will sell out, wait 1-2 years for complete code and so on.

Now we the people who buy these expensive toys that allow makers to well make money finally get some options and I should feel bad the maker has some extra hardship? I'm sorry but for too long makers have been taking advantage of us pinball addicts. IMO to compete going forward with so many new manufacturers they are going to have to cater a little more to their customers. I in no way feel bad about that.

1 week later
#4796 9 years ago

We sure are a whiny group.

On a somewhat non-whiny subject I picked up some of the glare resistant glass Rick made available for a discounted price at BAA open house and have to say I am impressed. Did have a different coating then the other glass out there but was very happy with how it looks while up and playing. I'm glad I picked it up.

#4801 9 years ago
Quoted from hollywood:

I read on pinside that if your games are played in a generically dark room, the glass doesn't really have any benefits. Is that true?

No IMO that is not true. I have them in a dimly lit room and I did notice the difference and thought it was a worthy upgrade. The discount price was around $165. It's not about reducing the glare to zero at all it is more about the experience when your standing right up to the machine you can't really see any glass between you and the playfield. I'm definitely happy with the purchase and if I get a chance to snag a few at a discounted price in the future I will.

1 week later
#4913 9 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

The hinges are black, as are alot of other components on the game, hinges have never been considered 'trim' and it has never been mentioned that they would be colored to match, which they will not.
Maybe a market for gold aftermarket hinge kits ...
rick

Another reason I'm glad you offered a glossy black trim option. Matches art best and does not clash with hinges.

PS you can never gauge flipper strength accurately at expos as the electricity is always overloaded. As noticed with WOZ at shows was weak but just fine in non overloaded environment.

1 week later
#5002 9 years ago

Okay give the useless posts a rest please and keep it on topic.

#5005 9 years ago

I'm not to concerned about being in front of the line at all with the rate at which Stern builds pins. We will all have them in short order once production begins. Sorry not trying to sidetrack but rather add a bit of perspective.

#5069 9 years ago

Okay guys look the pin is not shipping with the mechs. That's life no matter what you think about it thats the way it is. If it's really that big of a deal to you then don't buy it. If your not buying it then there is really no need to complain non stop about it IMO.

I think they should be included but it is a small cheap thing I can do on my own if I want so I'm not concerned. I just want to be playing my MMR ASAP.

#5108 9 years ago

I'd rather have a shaker, choice of color for trim, LED lighting, new hardware then I would a coin mech. Do Sterns ship with coin mechs? yes. However, do current Stern LE or other models ship with shakers? No. Do you get to choose from a variety of trim options even for LE models? No. Which would you rather have a $200 item or a few dollar coin mech? I'll happily take the shaker and other options over a coin mech even if I have to order/install one in the future.

#5121 9 years ago
Quoted from TVP:

There isn't one person in this whole thread that is saying that they would rather have coin mechs than a shaker or trim or leds. Where do you come up with this stuff? People are simply saying that this is a $8000 coin-op machine that cannot accept coins and the reasoning behind it is absurd. That's all.

Haha.. You and others are harping on a few dollar item. I'm pointing out I think it's silly to harp on such a small thing when PPS has offered a lot of cool things/choices that are much more expensive. If that's not a valid or obvious point to you then I'm happy to agree to disagree.

You and others have made your point your upset it doesn't come with mechs. Some of us don't really care which is fine to see it different. However, when it gets to page after page of hearing the same complaint over and over it seems to be taken too far by some.

Quoted from bigdaddy07:

I've never purchased a Stern LE model before so I could be wrong here, but I thought that most of the Stern (LE models) do come with shakers these days.

No the recent releases did not to the best of my knowledge.

#5123 9 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

One few dollar item indicates to me that expense might have been spared elsewhere when building this machine. It was a bad choice not to spend a few dollars more and put the coin mechs in there from a PR standpoint IMO.

Perhaps but it becomes pretty clear we are a whinny bunch when we harp much more on a mech then we do to the other more expensive items being included. I get stating a disappointment regarding the mechs not coming with it. However, do we really need pages of complaining? You can make a point on a forum without trying to take over a thread. Some have a tough time realizing that.

#5147 9 years ago

I as a paying customer don't care about the mechs Rick. Thanks for producing MMR and giving us LE buyers so many cool options/features! Can't please everyone but overall your doing a hell of a job.

#5162 9 years ago
Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

Coin mechs aside how we looking on building the games?

Now that's something most of us actually care about!

#5172 9 years ago

Why don't you guys create a separate "were enraged over the no coin mechs" so the discussion here can remain about updates and other things regarding MMR. You've all stated your frustration here over and over and over we get it. I think it's time to give it a rest in this thread from this point forward and if you want a different topic to discuss this already tired subject you all are welcome to do that.

#5178 9 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

I think Dude, that Rick has left the building on MMR here.
He's going the way of another Pinside ex-poster who makes pins.

No he said he's done with that topic not all Pinside in general.

#5205 9 years ago

Because IMO the subject and those that won't let it go are getting close to trolling at this point. You guys have made your point here it's time to move on or start another thread. Rick has addressed how PPS will handle the issue and welcomed direct contact if further clarification is needed.

I've asked for it to stop (in this thread) and you don't have to like it but if it continues past this point there will be thread bans handed out.

#5316 9 years ago
Quoted from tdunbar:

I wonder if this week is the start of production week for MMR LE at Stern and strange that we never seem to know when? All we seem to here is the trifle on coin mechs and not much else on production dates or status of when thesae might start rolling of the line!

Right there with you man. I just can't wait to get the first announcement and or pics of MMR LE's rolling down that line. Once that happens I know it won't be long.

#5371 9 years ago

Darn I sure hope MMR LE will be ready to rip through the line as soon as AC/DC production ends! Hopefully things are ready to roll at that time. Would be a little frustrating watching Stern run something other then MMR LE after AC/DC.

#5375 9 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

How long are they supposed to be making the new AC/DC?

I'm not sure but don't think it would take Stern longer then 2 weeks to get out as many of them as they wanted to get out. I could be wrong on that of course.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 130.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinwize.com

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 129.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 35.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 64.99
$ 16.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Decals
Creative Mods

$ 225.00
Cabinet - Other
FlyLand Designs

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 12.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider the_dude_abides.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mmr-pps-and-overall-update-official-pps-oct-21-2013?tu=the_dude_abides and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.