(Topic ID: 67443)

MMR PPS and Overall Update - Official PPS (Oct 21, 2013)

By PPS

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 5,463 posts
  • 470 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by pmWolf
  • Topic is favorited by 101 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 213 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image-77.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
pps.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Screenshot_2013-11-01-14-19-50.png
Screenshot_2013-09-14-17-45-13.png
yawn.jpg
Rick.jpg
42-3079-100.JPG
issue tissue.jpg
facepalmgroup.gif
elephant-in-the-room.jpg
math.gif
untitled.png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rarehero.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

#125 6 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

DMD Animations will be original currently are monochrome - although with a simple setting you can change the 'color' of the monochrome on the LCD to a bunch of colors (8 I think?). Next up would be the colorization, which will be done and just working on the approach for the art and the timing, etc ...

!!! Thank you! I love Color DMD and it looks excellent on this game. Hopefully you can figure something out with Color DMD to use what they've done already.

Since the game will have an LCD in it already - if the game launches monochrome, will full color be released as a software update?

#226 6 years ago
Quoted from turbo20lbs:

I tried this on Xmen LE, it looks like shit don't bother.

I did it on Metallica, it looks awesome. I had a sample pack of Lee film gels - tried a bunch of different ones till I got the color I liked. Used it on the Fuel (Empty to Full) inserts to match the artwork color...also put some under the FUEL targets (the color was called FIRE! )

#294 6 years ago

Rick - will flashers be LED? If so, will they be 906/89 sockets or boards?

Will the playfield "slide-out" hardware be the same as original or something new?

Thanks!

#356 6 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

as for translites - they will be translites - will not be printed using our process. Next Gen are 'one at a time', which is great for our market which is low volume. In this market, it's 1000 at a time, which allows there to be a large run which is more suited to a high res process, etc. They will of course be high quality, etc. I also would guess that we some people will in addition purchase a Next Gen one to get the 'original' williams logo, etc on them if they want to 'clone' them closer to a fully original MM.

Rick - will your translite (and speaker panel) have a Planetary logo on it? Not sure how others feel about that, but I think that would be cool.

#415 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I think it would look pretty cool.

DSCF5702.jpg 0

Well, I wouldn't want to see that giant white box...just the logo, naturally fitting on the background like the Williams one would be fine.

Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

No, please don't put that logo on. I would have to buy a new speaker panel and translite.

I have a feeling "purists" are gonna buy a new Williams logo speaker panel and Williams logo translite anyway lol...something about it not having any logo seems "bootleggy" to me, I dunno...anyway - I'm not gonna lobby hard for it - just throwing it out there. Rick will do what he wants to do!

#470 6 years ago
Quoted from Kcpinballfan:

I'm really not sure why I'm so hesitant on this pin. I guess cause 8k is an outrageous amount of money and I was scratching my head over the LE-Std thing.

Why scratch your head? You either want a MM for $15k or $8k. It's kind of a simple decision, that's why 1000 LE's sold out.

Quoted from Kcpinballfan:

As crazy as it sounds if they had made the Std price a hundred dollars cheaper I would have ordered it.

$7995 is MSRP. Standard means unlimited, which means distributors will compete for sales. You'll probably be able to get it cheaper if you shop around.

#564 6 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I don't see why everyone is so worried about the LEDs on a board thing.
You don't throw out your AFM saucer board when one of the LEDs breaks from a direct ball hit.

I'm not worried at all. I have 4 Sterns with LED boards and there hasn't been a single problem with them.

#570 6 years ago
Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

Wouldn't you need to remove all the electronics that used to be in the backbox but are now under the playfield out to get to those sockets anyway?? Seems like it would be a pain in the ass. Plus Rarehero owns a few LE's that have boards and he is a player so I'm sure they get used and he's never had a problem, although they aren't that old either.

I don't know my exact audits due to updates erasing them, but it's prob safe to assume my AC/DC & Tron have 2000-3000 plays on them...Avengers & Metallica prob ~1000. I've had some of the top-side socketed ones go bad on me....I dunno what the difference in the manufacturing process is that would result in boards being more reliable than bulbs - but that seems to be the case in my experience.

#702 6 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

In the spirit of trying to turn this thread back into a question and answer thread:
Are the boards going to be software/OS update-able? I can see the game being release and the 1,000 people finding something that wasn't caught in testing. I would be surprised if it wasn't, but timing tweaks, emulation tweaks etc I'm sure will be needed after release.

Rick said it would be updateable at Expo via USB.

#814 6 years ago
Quoted from lapean111:

Is it wrong that I am getting overly excited for the pictures?

Depends. Are your pants on or off?

#873 6 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

I agree. I don't like the buttons for plunging. Maybe they make the BOM cheaper...or Williams was trying to seem more modern.

It seems like all games with a launch button do so for skill shot reasons. MM - the only skill shot is the top lanes - so there's no reason for a light plunge. However on CV (similar era), the skill shot is a target that can only be hit with a skillful plunge.

#932 6 years ago

It looks like the single light boards have disconnects....is that right? If so, that's excellent. Not that anything's gone wrong with my Stern light boards, but I think being able to disconnect them is better than desoldering if you need to replace one.

#937 6 years ago

Rick - quick question...why did you have to scan an old MM cabinet for the art? Did Williams not keep the original art archived at all?

That would be ...amazing...but Rick might get ~200 death threats.

#953 6 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

we do have a bunch of the wms Big Bang Bar stuff as wms had done some arrangement with capcom for bbb ...

Oh...you tease!!!! One can dream....

...can dreams come true?

#1002 6 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

The rarity of BBB drives its price. I don't think it would sell anything like MMR if it came up as a remake.

The fact that it's selling for close to $20k now shows there's demand. I've got a rare Caribbean Cruise but I'd be lucky to get $400 for it lol. New BBB @$8k would sell tons. It's a really cool game, and honestly I think those that talk it down are just pissed that it's so expensive. Hell, I'M pissed that it's so expensive....but I'll still say that it's an awesome game. It's got everything- great art, cool layout, great toys, cool light up arrows on the ramps, blacklight, great music and DMD animation. It would have fit right in as a Williams game if their conversion project was ever finished.

#1063 6 years ago

Yeah and they sold like 10 of them.

#1066 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

One thing I have noticed reading this forum. Some people don't care for or respect the history of pinball or the great machines of the past, especially if it was before their time. I believe you can have as much fun playing an old woodrail as a modern DMD game. I have a machine that is brand new, and one that is older than me, and all points in between. If you only dwell on one era, then you are missing out on the rest of this great hobby. IMO.

One thing I've noticed about EM fans is they just can't accept the fact that many of us just find those games uninteresting and boring. I get that you like them, and would never want to take away your enjoyment...and I respect the design and artistry behind them and realize we wouldn't have "modern" games without them - but I can only play them as a curiosity - I've never really had a feeling of fun from them. I'm not alone in this opinion, and that's why MMr sold 1000 in 2 seconds and KoDr sold 10.

#1071 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Then you probably would have not liked growing up when pinball was king. It was a simpler time without computers, cell phones, and all the other distractions of modern life. I respect your opinion, but I'm happy that I get to enjoy the entirety of this hobby, and I pity those that can't.

See that's what I mean...that attitude of pitying me?! Cuz I like a certain era of pinball machines? I don't pity you for liking EMs....I don't need your pity for liking what I like. Look man, it is what it is - I grew up in the 80's - I grew up as video games grew up...I like the bleeps and bloops and music and lights and sounds. My earliest pinball memories are probably F-14 Tomcat, High Speed & Elvira. I remember my dad playing pinball while I was playing Pac-Man & Donkey Kong. Had I grown up when video games didn't exist I'm sure EM pinballs would have been the coolest thing of all time to me....but I didn't and they aren't.

Also - just because I don't want to OWN EMs doesn't mean I don't appreciate them and respect them. I just don't think they're FUN. I'm entitled to that opinion. I'll play them if there's one in front of me at someone's house or at a show....but that's it. I don't want to buy them....and clearly the masses now spending tons of dough on pinball these days don't want to either....and they don't need your pity.

#1074 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Dude, don't get so excited! I never asked for your opinion, but you threw me into a group of EM fans that can't accept your opinion. I never said that. It was only an observation that I have seen a lot of negative words towards EMs in general. You don't see me saying how crappy the stuff you like is. I don't care what you like, but I'm not going to say it sucks! Now excuse me while I go play Metallica.

You started with this:

"One thing I have noticed reading this forum. Some people don't care for or respect the history of pinball or the great machines of the past, especially if it was before their time. I believe you can have as much fun playing an old woodrail as a modern DMD game"

I never insulted your tastes or said anything sucked...I was responding to this...that is all.

#1076 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Then shall we play some Metallica?

Let's FRY THAT MATHAFACKAAAAAH!!!

#1083 6 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Really, every pinhead should have an EM in their collection.

If they don't enjoy the gameplay and sounds, then no - no they shouldn't.

#1089 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

How many EMs have you played? Or should I ask which EMs have you played?

A ton! I played as many as I could at PPE. I've played them at friend's houses. Played some at PHOF. Like I said - I appreciate them, but 1 or 2 games is enough for me

#1097 6 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

You should play more competitive pinball.

No.

Quoted from metallik:

At that point you don't need music, deep modes or flashy DMD animations...

Sooo...you want me to take out all the things I enjoy? No.

Quoted from metallik:

you just need to be better than your opponents at putting the ball where it needs to go for the most points.

You can do that on modern-style games, too....but I have nothing to prove to anyone when playing pinball. I don't care to include sports-type rivalries in my geeky hobbies.

Quoted from metallik:

THAT is what pinball is truly about.

To you. To me, pinball is about enjoying the design/gameplay/theme/personality/music/lights/goals. Me vs. Machine. I don't play online video games either...I'm not interested in competing, I'm interested in the game experience.

Quoted from metallik:

Competitive pinball is so much better on EMs and older SS games because people don't have to wait 20 minutes for their turn.

Honestly, I don't really like waiting my turn even if it's a short balltime game like Tron. Throws off my momentum...I'd rather play my full 3 ball game in one go - then you can play.

Quoted from metallik:

This is the main reason I recently grabbed a Mystic and BMX when they popped up locally.

Congrats! Enjoy!

#1107 6 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

I'm not a big mod guy, but do like the troll eyes, be nice if that was on the LEs, but I know that would piss off the purists.

Purists can go get the oldie version

1 week later
#1216 6 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

Law schmaw. Who declares use tax on their tax returns? If/when I order a MMr I will not be paying taxes to an in state distributor if I still have to pay for shipping. as well.

I just got a letter from the "use tax" collectors...somehow they got shipping records for my Metallica. What do you do when they come at you like this? Just not pay it?

#1224 6 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Unless you can prove you didn't buy it, you'll have to either pay up or deal with whatever audit/lawsuit/garnished wages California generally hits people with when they don't pay their taxes.
Any idea how the State got your shipping records?

I can only assume from the shipper. I talked to them on the phone and she said "you had 2 Stern pinball machines delivered to you?" ...one was a friend's - shipped them both to my house to save on shipping. She wants me to pay taxes on both machines lol...F that shit. I'll figure it out... grumble grumble.

#1237 6 years ago
Quoted from Skins:

Leave my bags alone. I'm happy (happy as one can be with taxation ) with my state/tax situation. I was merely suggesting a route if he was unhappy with his state.

Wow, talk about extreme. I'm not gonna pick up, sell my house & move away from my career cuz I have to pay tax on a pinball purchase. LOL

It sucks, but whatever.

2 weeks later
#1258 6 years ago

How about some more pics and/or video?

#1335 6 years ago

Yeah yeah yeah powdercoat yeah yeah trim whatever...

Hi Rick! When might you be able to show us some more pics and/or video?

Thank you.

#1371 6 years ago

Rick! Pics! Rick! Pics! Ricks! Pic!

...and/or video.

#1384 6 years ago

Heeeeeeey so lets see some high def pics or video of this thing!!!! Yeah? Anyone else into that besides me? LOL

#1422 6 years ago

Enough with the trim! Rick show some good pics, please!!!!

#1437 6 years ago
Quoted from rai:

People *are* on the fence and people have dropped out for one reason or another, the trick is to keep people from dropping out.

Then how about some pics and video instead of all this superfluous trim talk!?!?!?

#1446 6 years ago

Isn't this an update thread? Take the trim talk to the trim thread.

Rick - your next update, please.....and include new pics, thanks

#1496 6 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

"refake"
"one and done"
"IF they get made"
"just wait till the money is due"
man you will say literally anything you can think of to sow worry and negativity about this project, huh? just throwing stuff at the wall to see what sticks.

Curmudgeonly
Useless
Negative
Tony

#1560 6 years ago

Let us

Celebrate the
Unique &
Nimble
Teekee

#1568 6 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

it's a well documented set of issues: a) some people are afraid of change, b) some people want other people to fail, and c) some people get joy out of other people failing - seems like forums draw that out in some people ... lol ... anyways, those that know me know we have the credentials and the relationships to do the best we can and we will always be open to talk to anyone that may even have another opinion ... but whenever I offer to talk to them by phone (which is WAY better than keyboard commando'ing), they rarely if ever do ...

I know what will shut them up....sweet new pics & video of the game in action!

#1578 6 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

I see one potential "bad thing" that is not your fault and shouldn't cause you to stop, but it still exists.
Older games can be great, but I like new games better than old ones. Star Trek LE and WOZECLE are amazing, and are just the beginning of new and exciting technology in pinball. I would not want the presence of 1000 "new" old games on the market to cause either Stern or JJP to fail, because then we would get fewer or no new games. $8M spent on MMRLEs is $8M not spent on new technology and innovation. A step backwards, so to speak. Obviously there is a demand for a few older titles, but I wouldn't want to see new machine sales suffer as a result. I feel the price of MM would have come down anyway as people (possibly me) sell theirs to buy new games.
Anyway, just a perspective.

It's a BS argument. Plenty of old games exist. People can buy those NOW instead of JJP and/or Stern if they want. Buying MMr doesn't preclude people from buying other games. I'm buying MMr and I just bought STLE.

People were spending $15-20K on MM!!!! Stern grew and JJP came into existence! This game has ZERO effect on the other guys. If someone wants a Stern game or a JJP game - they'll buy those games!

MMr is for people who wanted MM but didn't want to pay the flippers $15k for one. MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!

#1592 6 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

This is so dumb. If Stern and JJP fail, it's won't be because of MMR. It's telling of Stern's lack of innovation that a design from 1997 can still compete with their latest offerings. What makes those companies so entitled to our patronage? Why shouldn't pinball enthusiasts buy the machine they most desire? Your argument makes no sense.

Exaaactly - and, if MMr IS indeed a massive threat for Stern/JJP - that will only benefit us in the end. Maybe they'll lower prices? Maybe they'll finish/polish all the code that needs finishing/polishing? Competition keeps everyone alert.

#1617 6 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

I'm glad you're a cartoonist because you don't quite get economics.

Thanks for the insult. *coughdouchebagcough* OK, now that that's over....

Quoted from metallik:

We are still a very niche market. There is a limited amout of dollars chasing pinball machines right now. If Jack and/or Stern do not get enough of those dollars per month, they go tits-up.

Why is it that no one has complained about what one pin-thing does to another pin-thing until now? When Gene made BBB, did anyone cry that this would affect Stern? When Wayne was attempting MMr, were people worried how this would affect Stern? When games get restored and sold at retail, is that taking money away from Stern? When JJP came on the scene, were there cries about JJP taking money from Stern? Is Jpop taking money from JJP & Stern!?!? When Heighway goes into production, is that taking money away from Stern, JJP, Jpop, and PPS!?!?!?!? If P3 goes into production, will that kill EVERYONE!?!?!?

It's just silly...no one EVER complained about one pin-thing THREATENING TO DESTROY another until now....the only thing it's destroyed is the price of MM originals.

Yes, this is a niche market...and this is just one game that's had lots of demand within the niche. It's not going to destroy Stern or JJP. Many in the NIB game can likely afford both....and there are plenty of Stern-haters who will buy a MMr and never would have bought a Stern anyway.

Quoted from metallik:

1000 ruby WOZs, and now 1000 MMrs. For comparison, that's more than the entire Family Guy run.

Wrong. There were ~2500 FGY's made.

#1630 6 years ago
Quoted from extraballingtmc:

He's just a spokesman

His day job is fighting scientologists and making horrible movies!

#1633 6 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I think we are trying to get an official answer to this question.

Already been answered. Game is coming with an LCD that can change to any monochrome color you want - but since it's already a color LCD, when they figure out how they're going to do the colorization - it can be applied with a software update.

#1656 6 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

To the rest: as I said (do you guys read beyond the first sentence?) .. I do hope Rick is right, I am wrong, and that the market has expanded enough to accommodate everyone. We won't know for a while if it has. You can't say with a straight face, however, that his announcement hasn't had any effect on Stern or JJP's sales. You simply don't suck $8M+ out of a niche market and not have any impact on the current manufacturers, even if it's only one or two people. Hopefully it really is only a few.

Here's the thing though....this is a niche market that clearly can support 8k games, even though we cry and bitch about it and hate it lol....saying MMr is bad for Stern is like saying AC/DC is sucking sales away from Metallica. 1 title doesn't destroy the NIB market. If we go back in time a few years, we could have said "Oh no, this is a niche market! JJP making WOZ will KILL Stern!!!" Fast forward to today...Stern has 3 full time designers (Ritchie, Borg, Trudeau), Greg Freres in house for art, Gomez as VP, 6 programmers plus the rest of the factory staff. The market has allowed for more players. If/when it all falls apart, we can cry about it then....for now - this is a MMr update thread lol....back to updates, Rick!

#1695 6 years ago
Quoted from ChrisS:

I wish all new machines had the flashers and GI based backbox lighting. Half of the fun with the machines is changing them over to LED in the backbox to add some color to the translites.
chris

Why, were old translites black and white!?

Say no to colorbombing!!!

#1754 6 years ago
Quoted from gprotein:

Hurry, paging member Rarehero!! Rick got what you asked for!!

Yay! Thanks Santa Rick!

2 weeks later
#1959 6 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

Also ... a quick update (i'm putting together a longer update around a bunch of topics for the weekend) ... we have the original uncompressed audio files for MM that we will be using on the MMR! We had to check out and verify what we had, but resulting audio quality will be much higher as the compression reduced the sampling rate and so this will be one of the benefits of using the new platform ... stay tuned for more.
rick

THAT is awesome!

#1962 6 years ago
Quoted from starbase:

Damn Rick you make this compelling to ride this out till the end. Thanks for the update and especially the news on improved audio sounds great.
"Goes and knocks down a wall to fit more pins"!!!

I will gladly trade the WMS logo for uncompressed sound!

1 week later
#2110 6 years ago
Quoted from mario_1_up:

i think it can be changed. but it wont be easy.

If I had to speculate - it will always have a brighter LED type of look no matter what - but it IS possible to get LEDs looking great where they aren't too sharp to your eye & fade properly. Hopefully they'll be able to do this with the hardware/software. If you look at STLE & WOZ - the insert LEDs have excellent fading FX which previously were incandescent territory.

#2115 6 years ago
Quoted from mario_1_up:

I agree they should be able to adjust the strength of them with the new setup. But it's the difference between a white light or a yellow glow will be the deciding factor for some.

Pretty sure Rick said they're using warm white LEDs - should look good. Warm White LEDs are still a little different than incandescent, but the color temperature is nice & will fit with this game's color scheme.

#2171 6 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

It still is on RGP.
They laugh at your LEDs and aftermarket toppers.

...and by "they" you mean the 3 people who still post there.

1 week later
#2254 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

So, I have no clue what it takes to make them look like a traditional bulb.

Well, lets just look at what's out there now. Cointaker has cool and warm white LEDs. Cool actually has a really nice color temperature and isn't "blue-ish" like the old white LEDs. It's kind of a nice "pure" white. Still, if that's TOO white, they've got warm, which IMO works fine as an incandescent replacement. It's not as orangey-yellow as a incandescent...but it's nice and it works. I have them in my Family Guy pin, which is very red/orange/yellow. Looks fantastic. MM is a very red game...as long as they use warm white LEDs, which they've said they would - it should look great.

1 week later
#2388 5 years ago
Quoted from hardware:

Is this project technically further than's Wayne's ever gotten to?

Wayne got nowhere. Made a chip and some trolls.

Rick's got a working prototype that Roger Sharpe has approved of.

#2405 5 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

Yes, I know ... We do this not only to make the game 'better' than original, but it adds to this post thread count and I might get some more karma points along the way ... which is most important!

Hi Rick! Any ETA on being able to show us any kind of new/updated photos or videos of the game in action?

Thanks!

#2409 5 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

The game gets taken apart and fiddled with all the time. Parts are coming in now and will for awhile and then we put 10 or so pre-production games together. So I will check to see what pictures can be provided when. I know there is a last turn of some of the boards coming this month and so I doubt anything until they get those connected up ... I'm not sure that boxes of parts will do much for anyone (that has been done in the past ... lol).

Thanks. Just curious about seeing a video that shows that some of those things like the castle blow up/reset & flashing lights are tweaked to be more like the original and such.

1 month later
#2892 5 years ago
Quoted from gprotein:

6 months ago, people were dreaming to have a nice MM for $8k, nevermind a NIB. A miracle happened, and it is happening. Now, people want white rubbers, plastic protectors, Cliffy protectors, different trim colors...etc included before delivery. Things sure changed.

Haha...I know, we're such brats....but - you have to admit, those things would be nice...can't hurt to discuss them, especially considering Rick has added cool little bonuses that we didn't even know we were getting as the project has been developed.

#2908 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

To each their own. I'm not paranoid about scuffs on my game, would rather see them then big hunks of metal.

Some games really need it, though. Family Guy's scoop will start getting chewed up VERY fast without a Cliffy there.

#2940 5 years ago
Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

No I don't think that would be the reason.. Go back through RGP and see why SR says he puts black rubbers in his pins. Plus black rubbers actually make the playfield look much dirtier from the debris. That said, I'd rather have to clean more often then to play with bouncy whites on

Have you tried the transparent rubbers? I think they have black-esque bounce but don't fray or leave any dirty debris! I'm not sure they'd look right on every game - but so far I put them on Avengers LE, STLE, and Tron LE and they look pretty awesome. I just picked up a POTC...gonna put them on that one too...I figure clear=water.

#2952 5 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Let's see some pics...

image.jpg.

image-804.jpg
image-319.jpg
image-77.jpg
image-999.jpg

#2960 5 years ago

Yeah, it really captures the light well...STLE looks especially cool when the inserts are all changing color...it 'reflects' off the rubber. I'm not gonna go gung ho and change all my games to transparent rubber...but I'm guessing that material will soon be available in various colors. Pinball Life has Super Bands mini post rings in white, black and various colors! Will a full rubber ring selection be far behind? This way you can have the color you want but with more durability!

Superbands_postrings.jpg
#2962 5 years ago
Quoted from Asylum:

I am sure its in the thread somewhere... but can you tell me where you get these from RH?

Pinball Life!

#2970 5 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

I hope these transparent rubbers don't take off. I'm sure it affects play, the last thing I want to do is tear down a game I buy and replace the rubbers because these are on them.

They play great. Bounce and feel like regular rubbers, but they don't dry up or fray, and are easy to clean.

#2973 5 years ago
Quoted from Gov:

I have these on two of my location machines and they are not any more durable than regular rubbers. In fact, I have replaced more broken urethane rubbers than regular ones. At their price, it isn't worth it for me, at least on location. At home they may be fine. I love the look though.

The little post rings have broken on my Star Trek just like regular rubbers...but the rest of them - Slings and such...are great!

#3015 5 years ago

I know, I might have to go now...lol

#3027 5 years ago
Quoted from retired_user_101:

you both should come to TPF !
i've got cigars with your names on them.

Yeah ...two things in that offer that are doing the opposite of enticing me lol Cleland knows me too well.

#3037 5 years ago
Quoted from cleland:

Ha! That's some funny sh!t right there. For the record I don't know Rarehero that well...LOL...

Well - I don't smoke, and I have no interest in visiting Texas

#3041 5 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Why not? Cigars are vegan....nothing but a plant leaf!

That is true....still...never smoked anything, never will.

#3056 5 years ago
Quoted from retired_user_101:

8th generation texan... and can tell ya, don't believe tv.
we do ride our horses to work, but the goofballs that get all the hype are just passin` through.
now, tx pin fest is somethin` that'll make ya stand tall in yur saddle

Hehe...don't take it personally....I don't like to travel. There are very few places I wanna go.

#3065 5 years ago
Quoted from yotaxi125:

just curious, how much was the asking price on the BBB?

$4500

#3074 5 years ago
Quoted from pinstor12:

Smart money waits for HUO............When there is unlimited supply, price falls.

You can go dumpster diving for free food instead of buying groceries!

Do you ever buy anything new? Just cuz you want to?

#3086 5 years ago
Quoted from pinstor12:

Are you comparing picking up a huo mmr to dumpster diving, now?

No, I'm making the point that 'someone' must buy new products for there to be used/cheap/free products down the road. Every time someone buys a new Stern or JJP or car or TV or computer or washing machine etc. do we say "harumph well the SMART money will wait" ....as though those who buy new products are idiots.

Sometimes you just want the new thing Sometimes you can afford the new things. It's not a big deal.

Quoted from ENDOFLINE:

dead giveaway that rare doesn't get out much or travel..... PASTY WHITE SKIN

So I guess you don't travel much either? lol I'm a redhead, what's your excuse?

#3095 5 years ago
Quoted from pinstor12:

Thanks for enlightening us.

Funny how guys get sensitive, and compare different products to pinball machines.

It has nothing to do with sensitivity, it has to do with logic.

But OK, you're right. Everyone! NO ONE buy new pinball machines! Yer dum. Buy the used ones down the road. There will be a ton of them even though no one is buying them new.

#3103 5 years ago
Quoted from PinballHog:

Here is another video of the inside of the MMR. I forgot to flip my phone sideways. Sorry.
» YouTube video

Wow - that was some great info about the LEDs....each insert has 3 LEDs and if one goes out, the other two become brighter. I love that they've put that type of creativity into the redesign of the components.

#3182 5 years ago

Rick - congrats on the successful Texas showing!

Quick question and I apologize if this has been covered already - what are the audit/adjustment screens going to be like? Will it be in the typical B/W format but with some new options based on the new features....or a completely different format entirely?

Thanks!

#3234 5 years ago

(Reposting since Rick is looking lol)

Rick - congrats on the successful Texas showing!

Quick question and I apologize if this has been covered already - what are the audit/adjustment screens going to be like? Will it be in the typical B/W format but with some new options based on the new features....or a completely different format entirely?
Thanks!

#3266 5 years ago
Quoted from loren3233:

If not PinButts....How about PinAss? Not sure this scent is trade marked as of yet.

Stern trademarked it. That's why NIB Sterns smell like microwave burrito farts.

#3289 5 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

Will the existing Display be able to be fully colorized or will that require a different display?

Existing. It's already a color LCD monitor.

3 weeks later
#3469 5 years ago

Did anyone like the gold trim in person? Maybe I'm crazy but from most of the pics I think it looks pretty cool. Looks like it's got some sparkle in it...like a gold version of what Stern did for Metallica LE.

Rick - why does the black variation have that pitted look to it?

#3482 5 years ago
Quoted from btw75:

I've wavered on the mustard. Part of me likes it.... No sparkle that I remember, just flat mustard gold. I think brettbutler posted some good pics of it in one the tpf threads.

It looks like it has a bit of sparkle in it in those new pics on the PPS blog. Is this different than what it was at the show? That doesn't look like mustard to me.

MMR_gold.jpg

#3520 5 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

yeah, but as I look at that picture, it looks odd as the legs are a different color than the door and looks (when you are looking for it) doesn't look right. Also Chris even advised me NOT to go with that Black Nickel finish as it's really inconsistent (piece to piece), so that will not be the option. We'll look into it, and pick what we pick at this point and people can choose ... as well as they can choose to take silver and replate their own items. The side rails can be removed without pulling the side art off so hopefully some business goes to the pinball part re-platers ...

I think generally people are OK with the door being its own thing. On all my Stern Prem/LE games, the legs/rails are colored and the coin door is stock black, and it's fine.

I feel like I'm gonna go with Gold....I think it looks pretty good.

#3637 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Well being that in six months time, the 1000 people that ordered LEs have seen the trim go from this-
To this-

I can sort of understand the frustration.

143533-i.jpg 72 KB

20140501_1415331.jpg 162 KB

Can that be chalked up to the camera? The color temperature is clearly different in each of those pics...the show pic has a bit of a greenish tint, which can be seen by looking at the flippers.

#3643 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I believe the flyer is an actual artists rendition of what the machine was going to look like, which gave me the impression that it was going to be similar to what came on Addams gold, a shiny brass. The other pic is a textured powdercoat which is not so shiny.

True - but the color temp doesn't make it look that "goldy" ....but other pictures have made it look more goldy.

#3752 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Now I feel better about missing the show this weekend, that was one thing I was bummed about not getting to see. Glad to hear the black trim is gonna be shiny though, Rick gets another gold star for listening to feedback.

Yeah only reason I was thinking about going to PAGG was to check out MMr. Phew, don't have to feel bad about chilling out this weekend!

#3756 5 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

We're going ... you should too ... last year's show turned that show from a great local show into a stellar regional show ... can't wait.
rick

Personal stuff...just really exhausted lately - don't have a roadtrip/show in me at the moment! Maybe California Extreme and/or Chicago Expo this year for me.

#3792 5 years ago
Quoted from cdnpinballer:

Hey Rick, how about selling us a build-your-own kit with all the parts for less $ instead of paying the 'labor'?
Totally new market available there.

That would never happen. He doesn't want to be responsible for someone putting something together wrong and damaging the machine or themselves. There's no way he could sell the product in pieces and offer a warranty. Not worth it for the 5 people who'd be interested.

3 weeks later
#3974 5 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

There will be the following choices:
- The gold that people like or don't like
- The shiny black
- The silver
We put out the various options of the black for feedback:
- the black nickel looks like a gunmetal grey and does not look good at all on that game (it looks good and may good for other games, but not mm)
- the rough finish black people said looked like std sterns, so resoundingly did not want that.
- that leaves the shiny black - which will show all imperfections in the metal and the stampings as well as fingerprints, but the masses have spoken and that will be the black that we use.
rick@planetarypinball.com

Thanks Rick! How/when will we choose? Will our distributors contact us about the trim choice?

2 weeks later
#4139 5 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

...waiting for Rarehero's Carribean Cruise comment...

Hmm? My Cruise is covered with Iron Man pinball parts right now hehe

#4165 5 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

Tough choice! The gold has a bad rap around here but I think it looks pretty good in that pic.

Yeah, I think gold looks sweet...black really fits the art nicely - but gold is a great contrast. What to do, what to do...I'm like 90% gonna go gold.

#4206 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Using blue instead of purple on the front of the cabinet is a nice touch. Maybe it's just the light.

Probably light...at least with my camera, purple always turns blue. I tried to take pics of my Monster Bash touch up by the ramp - which is purple...but in every picture it looked blue.

#4209 5 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

I will take a couple of pics of the gold leg that I have at the warehouse and post it ... it's not any different than previous ...

Good light source & focus please

#4248 5 years ago

Thanks for those new pics & video....pic 2 & 4 sold me on gold! It's got that metallic sparkle in it that I like...similar to the Platinum on Metallica LE, which I like.

GOLD! Wooo!

#4257 5 years ago
Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

On a toy this expensive options should be offered. Weird to me how so many pinheads ask makers to do less to keep the drama/hardship down. Really on a pin that is a remake that cost $8K plus shipping?? Well I for one want more options at that price tag not less.

The only reason options were offered is because the nature of the gold was such a mystery....and most pictures were taken in poor lighting or blurry. People started calling it "mustard". Don't get me wrong - Rick's done an amazing job communicating about everything....but good photography wasn't a strong suit. Had really nice pics of the gold trim been shown - there wouldn't have been a need for options.

So - if the next game is going to have colored trim, I think it would be beneficial to have professionally photographed "beauty shots" of the metal from the getgo. No surprises, no speculation - heres the color! Done!

#4269 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

You are exactly right! I might have been expecting a little much. I'm sure it will look just fine.

Stern always releases pics of what their various trim/versions look like. Granted, they're mostly Photoshopped...but still, they've been pretty accurate.

2 weeks later
#4867 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Will be available to download and install in the LCD in the game. No idea exactly when. It's been covered here.
LTG : )™

An ETA would be nice, if possible.

2 weeks later
#5239 5 years ago

Can we move on?

If the missing mechs bothers you, don't buy it. Or call Rick. This story has nowhere else to go.

For those who are confused about what we're even talking about...it's this thing inside the coindoor. If you're buying for home use you've never used it or probably noticed it was there anyway:

42-3079-100.JPG

Moving on...

#5245 5 years ago

Fantastic. We get it. Already been discussed. A billion times. Don't buy it and/or call Rick.

#5247 5 years ago
Quoted from Crash:Deleted post

So, call Rick. Maybe he is sending them to people who bought the game and are genuinely upset. Who knows. Call him if it's a make or break deal for you.

One thing I've noticed about the pinball business community - generally they're very generous and often go around the "official" fine print to make a customer happy. I've often been blown away by how cool people are on the business side of the hobby.

#5268 5 years ago
Quoted from scott_freeman:

first, if this matters, yes, I have one on order. there, I said it.
now,
What has changed since October 2013...
a. Limited, well, they relly are not going to be limited to 1,000 units. You angry?

The limited ones - AKA - Plaque, shaker included, colored trim, thicker cabinet bottom - are still limited. Standards were announced like the day after the Expo announcement.

b. Deposit freeze - will happen with Williams approval. Nope, we're letting that slide. We'll get back to you on this.

Shit happens.

c. Gold , oh, you thought it was the bly/wms Addams Family brass-colored trim. Nah, it's mustard gold, dust covered.

...and if you don't like it you can get black or stainless. A recent Pinside poll showed that there are still tons of people getting gold. Sometimes the angry minority is the loudest....clearly, plenty of people like the gold color and don't consider it to be dusty mustard.

d. These will be assembled by the fine team of Chicago Coin, you know them? the ones that make cabinets and playfields? whoops, were back to stern. Don't mind the dust sprinkles.

Yeah, that's horrible because...why? Stern is set up to make pinball machines and Chicago Coin isn't.

e. Shipping second quarter - nope. Not this second quarter.

Shit happens.

f. Surprise! world has got out that JJP froze the deposits? What, you missed the announcement? I missed it to.
I read about the JJP freeze in a thread that a guy had to sell his order at a $300 loss.

That's between Jack and his customers...not really PPS's fault.

g. Coin mechs not included. Wait, I'm not suppose to bitch about $20 bucks. Is this the last straw? Any more changes to come?

Wah, coin mechs, wah.

1 week later
#5409 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

You could have said the same thing about Metallica or Star Trek LEs, and those sold out quickly. So I think looking at LE sales is definitely one indicator of health.

I think for an LE to have killer sales, there has to be something about the LE that really appeals to the hardcore fans of the license and/or have something SUPER DUPER COOL about it. For AC/DC, it was Back in Black (and Let There Be Rock). The specificity of a killer song, backglass & the lasercut rails were enough to make AC/DC fans go "COOL!!!" and snag 'em. Same with Master of Puppets...that's just an ultimate favorite for Metallica fans. Star Trek - personally I was on the fence & was gonna maybe get a Premium, but the lasercut & light up rails were so F'ing cool it pulled me over the fence. Now - Mustang - there's really nothing about the LE that's SO COOL that it would make Mustang fans want one. Now that I've seen the metallic decals on IMve, I love them...but they don't photograph well, so it I think it was hard as an LE sale point. The translite art might be the worst of the bunch, as well.

#5416 5 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Yep, those metallic decals on IMVE look like crap in every single picture that I've seen of them. But tons of people say that they look great in person, so I look forward to seeing them myself.

LOL they don't look like crap, they just don't look metallic. In real life they're rad as f*ck and almost look like holograms.

#5418 5 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Actually, I will very much stand by my comment that they look like crap in the pictures. There are no blacks, and they look to be completely lacking in any depth as a result. The lack of blacks in the pictures is more than likely a result of the reflective nature of the decals.
McCune told me that they look really cool in person, he loves his, but said that they look very different than the original (which seems obvious).
The video you posted did a pretty good job of showing the reflective type effect of the foil (or whatever you call it).

It's not a TV - talking about "black levels" is moot. In person the "black" area is "black enough" - but it actually has a nice dimensional sheen to it. Almost deep blue-ish in areas. There's a lot of subtle transition of color all over. These decals have depth out the wazoo. They're improved over the original direct printing two-fold. 1.) They're high rez...no pixel-dots style printing. I've got it right next to my Tron LE. The difference is striking. 2.) The metallic shimmer - it just looks so f'ing cool.

If they ever released foil Tron cab decals - I'd put them on my LE.

#5420 5 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Oh, I definitely disagree with you there.
The fact it isn't a TV has nothing to do with it. Deep blacks will always result in more contrast and give more of an appearance of depth. This is true in photographic printing as well, so it seems obvious that it would apply to printed decals on a pinball machine. Why would it only apply to TV? That doesn't make sense.
Since the new decals are completely different in terms of the effect that they are achieving, the black levels are relative to what they are doing. I am not criticizing the new decals, I am simply indicating why they look like crap in still photos.

K.

Just look at them in person.

Superior X100.

Stern's old dotty printing has zero depth.

#5427 5 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

But for some reason you take it has a slam against your new pin, which you apparently feel the need to defend even when it isn't being criticized. Kind of like the lack of coin mechs on your pre-ordered MMr.

Oh for f*cks sake, I really don't wanna get in a MMr/IMr battle with you, Rob....I don't care. Unlike the coin-mechers in that other thread, I actually like you and have respect for you. Can we just end this here?

#5434 5 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Sure, just admit that you got overly defensive for no reason and completely changed the subject at hand, and we are good to go!
It's hard to understand how *you* can go off on a tangent like you did (you even went on to say "Superior X100. Stern's old dotty printing has zero depth") and yet you reply to *my* post by saying "Oh for f*cks sake"?!
Shouldn't I be the one saying that to you?

I wasn't getting defensive - and after that became your perception, it was clear we were seeing the discussion differently. It's over now. Peace & Love, Peace & Love.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 99.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Sales

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rarehero.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside