(Topic ID: 67443)

MMR PPS and Overall Update - Official PPS (Oct 21, 2013)

By PPS

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 5,463 posts
  • 470 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by pmWolf
  • Topic is favorited by 98 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-77.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
pps.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Screenshot_2013-11-01-14-19-50.png
Screenshot_2013-09-14-17-45-13.png
yawn.jpg
Rick.jpg
42-3079-100.JPG
issue tissue.jpg
facepalmgroup.gif
elephant-in-the-room.jpg
math.gif
untitled.png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pezpunk.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

#283 10 years ago

this thread is a great example of how a company should treat customers and potential customers. thanks again for the direct answers.

#453 10 years ago

I've heard that a couple times today. Sounds like distributors are pulling the plug on some deadbeat and duplicate pre-orders. congrats!

#456 10 years ago

hahaha retributive thumbs down. hilarious.

#708 10 years ago
Quoted from aztarac:

I tried to wade through the previous 14 pages and didn't see this question posed (or maybe I missed it):
What type of payment will be required for the $7k balance - cash, check, credit card?
I know this is on a lot of people's mind. Now, one could argue this is a Distributor specific question, however, PinballSales accepts credit card payments on my Hobbit pre-order, however, the $1k 'cash' deposit was required for the MM pre-order. Would just like a little clarification.

I would suggest not going into credit card debt for a pinball machine.

#751 10 years ago
Quoted from W1ked:

Rick, hopefully you can get those pictures up so we can all have a look. Of course things might change when Williams signs off on it but this will ease a few people in the meantime.
I will be putting on an original translite and speaker panel etc but I wouldn't like to see any PPS logo's anywhere on the game. Well on the outside anyway. If it's an exact remake of the original then that's what it should be (less Williams logo's).
Could we get the game number plate 'loose' and we can install it where we like?

just buy an original if you want one so bad.

1 week later
#1125 10 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Assuming the original high quality sound assets still exist, hard to imagine they wouldn't want to use those. But that'd be an assumption which PPS could presumably clear up one way or another...

it doesn't sound like that many original assets survived, and the ones that did are on floppy disks that are nigh unreadable (if i recall correctly). but yeah an answer from them on how they're acquiring the sounds would be interesting.

3 weeks later
#1284 10 years ago
Quoted from 2RustyBalls:

I'm 100% out if it's powder coat. No thank you, I'll pass completely and buy an Original MM and pay more $$ to do so. This is what I'm fearing will happen. The start of Penny Pinching. We all think we'er getting a B/W machine and we end up getting a Knock Off. I don't like the term re-fake, I'd say it could be a "knock off".

uhhhhhh you know the gold trim is an OPTION right?

#1360 10 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

IMO, trim is one thing, but I want everything inside the game exactly like the stock MM. If the stock MM shipped with gold hibitrails, that's what I want. It would be a major turn off if the game wasn't exactly the same.

uhhhhh

#1424 10 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

They said it would come in standard or gold, absolutely follow through with your promise. They'll figure it out I'm sure, but stop there. Concentrate and figure the game out. I couldn't imagine the blow-back if they decided to offer a black trim and problems with that were the reason games got delayed 3 weeks or 6 weeks or however long it would take to figure something like that out.
Not worth the time, money or risk to try and figure out a black option.

I'm not seeing the "risk" in offering an additional trim option as long as the other options are also offered.

I really really really could care less if the machine is 3 weeks late, hell I could care less if it's 6 months late as long as they get it RIGHT. the last thing I want is for them to rush it out the door due to an artificial deadline. we're going to be owning these machines for a long, long time. I'd rather they wait until it's done before letting it out the door. timeliness of delivery is the LAST priority as far as I'm concerned. quality is the top.

#1443 10 years ago
Quoted from NJGecko:

As a business process, what a nightmare that would be! If my history is right, Ford offered the model T in only black. Easy to produce. Imagine someone gearing up to make a car intended to have no options and suddenly people are asking for choices of colors, trim, etc. Your overhead goes through the roof trying to manage things.

that was 1908. Here in 2013, almost every car is offered with a variety of options. even small startups have figured out a way to offer myriad variances without going bankrupt.

#1444 10 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

Right. So you prefer black trim, and you don't mind waiting. What if, I don't prefer black trim and I do mind waiting? What if the black trim is the hold up and games don't get built until that is figured out?
Nobody is saying they don't want quality, but look at all the issues the gold comes with: Clearcoat or not, tarnishing, gold chrome, gold powder coat, glossy, matte. Your preference takes time, and time is money. After finding a gold finish, black would come with all the same challanges and they'd be at square one.
It's just trim. That's all I'm saying. Lets see how the actual game turns out, and then worry about really minor details.

you are making a very weird assumption that offering black trim would for some reason cause a huge delay to delivery, let alone delay delivery for people who didn't even order it. I don't think PPS would bother offering it if it meant that kind of impact. (not that they HAVE offered it. but I think it'd be a popular choice if it turned out to be feasible, which imo should be for PPS to judge)

#1454 10 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

To me it sounds like PPS may not need to run the standard MMr?? Run the LE's and move on to MB & CC
That would certainly lock in the sale of 1000 LE machines as of right now many are taking a wait and see attitude because they can just pick up a standard later.
^ I had posted the above on an another thread and am curious... Is there a need for the run of standard MMr with all the cancellations of MMr LE?

well, we have no way of knowing how many if any of the MMRLEs are unsold even with the cancellations. also, just because there isn't a huge waiting list, that doesn't mean distributors wouldn't be able to move non-LEs after a while. from a cost efficiency perspective, I assume PPS would certainly rather satisfy *all* demand for MMR before retooling for the next pin.

1000 units may seem like a lot, but it's less than 25% of the machine's original run, which was already a small, abbreviated run. how many total Star Trek machines is Stern making? (there were something like 800 LEs if I remember right ... how many "pros" etc?)

#1457 10 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I am curious if the 'msrp' price will be the selling price of the standards or subject to discounts or 'real selling price' like WoZ and Stern dealers prices.
If that's the case and say standards sell for $6995 + shipping this would punish early ordere unlike WoZ which gave a good discount for taking the risk of pre ordering, plus you'd be in a position to possibly know the next game in line and choose for example people buy MMR but if BBB is next some might rather wait for that.

they could also drop the non-LE all together if it seems like only a dozen people want one.

#1488 10 years ago
Quoted from teekee:

Yep, that should do it... just wait until the additional $7000 is due!

"refake"
"one and done"
"IF they get made"
"just wait till the money is due"

man you will say literally anything you can think of to sow worry and negativity about this project, huh? just throwing stuff at the wall to see what sticks.

#1564 10 years ago
Quoted from viper001:

Dependable and proven are overrated traits in any product, I agree with you. Who would want anything that is still running 20 years later?
Before I get shouted down, and 20 more people check my profile and find out my shameful ownership secret. Can I just ask that the remake crowd stop *assuming* their games will be better because they are new, and as a representative of the WMS-Owned-MM camp, I will declare that that I am happy you guys are going to get remade games that you can enjoy. Can't we all just get along?

why are fully half the posts in this thread from people who have no interest in this game?

#1583 10 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

I see one potential "bad thing" that is not your fault and shouldn't cause you to stop, but it still exists.
Older games can be great, but I like new games better than old ones. Star Trek LE and WOZECLE are amazing, and are just the beginning of new and exciting technology in pinball. I would not want the presence of 1000 "new" old games on the market to cause either Stern or JJP to fail, because then we would get fewer or no new games. $8M spent on MMRLEs is $8M not spent on new technology and innovation. A step backwards, so to speak. Obviously there is a demand for a few older titles, but I wouldn't want to see new machine sales suffer as a result. I feel the price of MM would have come down anyway as people (possibly me) sell theirs to buy new games.
Anyway, just a perspective.

This is so dumb. If Stern and JJP fail, it's won't be because of MMR. It's telling of Stern's lack of innovation that a design from 1997 can still compete with their latest offerings. What makes those companies so entitled to our patronage? Why shouldn't pinball enthusiasts buy the machine they most desire? Your argument makes no sense.

also congratulations on being YET ANOTHER person who has no interest in buying an MMR hopping in to a thread about official MMR updates.

#1613 10 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

I'm glad you're a cartoonist because you don't quite get economics. We are still a very niche market. There is a limited amout of dollars chasing pinball machines right now. If Jack and/or Stern do not get enough of those dollars per month, they go tits-up. Not everyone is made out of money and can afford new games from multiple manufacturers like yourself, and while I support folk's decisions to buy whatever game they want, I do not want JJP or Stern to close their doors because too much money went to the competition. Not when the competition brings nothing new to the table.
In 1993 we had at least 4 manufacturers. In 2003 we had one, and the games mostly sucked until TSPP. I don't want to wind up with zero or one manufacturer (and one remaking old games)

why are you arguing that fewer competitors equals a healthier marketplace? that can't possibly be an honest argument on your part, it's so ludicrous.

#1615 10 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

They're just emulating the WMS MM code, something that's been possible for over 10 years. It's also been possible for a while, at least theoretically, to run a real machine from pinmame. It's nice to see PPS commercialize the emulation and reduce to a barebones CPU, but there's nothing here nearly as cool as, say, the RGB LEDs in WOZ and STLE.
Again, if the market were stronger, I'd have no worries, but there's a lot of quality used product out for sale, and now 1000 ruby WOZs, and now 1000 MMrs. For comparison, that's more than the entire Family Guy run. I think we'll need to expand the hobby beyond where it is now to support all these, plus the other projects we saw at Expo.

there are currently about 4000 MMs, soon there will be 5000. the sky is falling!

#1644 10 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

I keep repeating myself because you still don't get it. I'm not trying to "change anyone's mind." My first post clearly stated that Rick should not stop the project. Rick basically asked "what could go wrong" and asked for perspectives, and I provided one explaining just what might go wrong. Enter the reading-comprehension-challenged peanut gallery of pinside MM fans going off on a tangent thinking I want to derail the project, when I clearly never wrote any such thing. More "experts" insisting there will be no impact whatsoever, yet just a few posts above an MMr was chosen over STLE. I am not cheering any 'side' - I hope they all succeed. Unfortunately, it appears to be impossible to conduct intelligent debate on manufacturers or the market without people freaking out on pinside.

Sorry but I think a guy who is not interested in buying the machine making a dozen posts in a thread for official updates on that machine is pretty much the definition of derailing. It'd be annoying even without your penchant for slinging insults.

#1649 10 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

What the hell has happened to intelligence on pinside?

you signed up?

i hope calling everyone stupid really helps with your own ego issues. also sorry i forgot about your weird plan to buy MMR and flip either it or your original MM, but that doesn't change the fact that your assertion that less competition is better for the hobby makes no sense.

#1678 10 years ago
Quoted from scott_freeman:

Rick,
Are the LE models still sold out, or can new customers order an LE?
We have friends interested in getting one, but they are not on pinside.

you need to contact a distributor for that question. PPS is the supplier -- it's all sold out from their perspective, but distributors might have some that aren't spoken for, or could at least put your friends on a list for when others drop out.

#1690 10 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

LE's were sold out to distributors on the first day (as best we could calculate) and we tried not to have an oversell situation, it's hundreds and hundreds of emails and checks in the mail, wire transfers, bank runs, etccto get all the deposits, etc, and every distributor is handling that how they wish. I have no idea if any distributors 'held back' from selling them, that is certainly up to them. Some may trickle some out over time, but for all intents we have the deposits for the bulk of them, no distributor is handing them back that's for sure (they ask for more). There are some new distributors which I re-allocated from some who we refunde because the purchaser had all of his family, etc in line at the show and could not flip them, so I re-allocated them (a very small number) to a couple of new distributors as I could as a token of starting off those relationships. So, I'm sure there will be a conspiracy theory on this one as well ... lol
rick

that's remarkably transparent and forthcoming on your part, rick. i can't imagine most manufacturers being that candid about the process. i feel great about my purchase so far. signs are pointing towards you guys getting it right.

#1708 10 years ago

oh I don't know. my dollars will go towards the coolest pin. this iteration, it was MMRLE. maybe Stern will show it can complete code in a timely fashion and their next game will appeal to me more. maybe The Hobbit will blow me away. can't wait to find out. this consumer welcomes another player in the marketplace.

#1713 10 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

Everything you wrote below is on the SUPPLY side of things. What about DEMAND? What signs do you see that demand growth is continuing, and at what rate?
We have unsold WOZ games in distributor inventory, we have unsold STLE games in inventory, we have new ST Premium games hitting inventory, we have unsold Metallica pro and even LE games in inventory. Who will buy all these, plus 1000 MMr, plus 1000+ Mustangs, plus 1000 WOZ 75ths, plus the botique games, all in the next 6 months?

you're a WOZ / Stern distributor? ah, now your posts make sense.

#1755 10 years ago
Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

It made some weird grinding sound near the end too, I don't know if that is normal or not?

not hearing that myself ... were you hearing the drawbridge going back up?

#1830 10 years ago

i guess it's not surprising people are so touchy and drama-prone about this project. some folks have 8 grand on the line, some see the whole thing as a threat to their income, and finally some simply have portions of their ego tied up in its success or failure. honestly that last group tend to be the loudest. folks just gotta remember to keep perspective.

#1841 10 years ago
Quoted from dhalem:

Funny that someone who is so derisive of open source is using an open source board and OS in this...

i don't remember him being derisive of open source, just saying it was completely impossible due to their licensing agreements with williams, etc.

#1852 10 years ago
Quoted from ChrisS:

Wait. This is now shipping Q2? I thought it was shipping Q4. Hellz Yeah. I can't wait.
Rick don't let people get you down. I'm sure it will all work out in the end. I think its funny that many people buy NIB Sterns ( Me included ) and never play them. They all pay in full for those. I guess they all complain about code thought
I love what your doing and can't wait for the CCC remake.
chris

this has always been scheduled for Q2. standard is Q4.

#1863 10 years ago
Quoted from 2RustyBalls:

Listen, when you ask people to lay out money for deposits and then have issues with the following discussion then don't ask for the deposits. It's just that simple. If the demand is so strong it seems like the best way of doing business. The other guy that tried this isn't having great success either. Build your product and put it on the market. This whole give me money and then we'll design a game and Pinball company is completely distorted. Quit trying to mitigate the risk of building a machine by asking for the deposits and just go build the product and let us know when it's done.

why are you still commenting? you got your refund. bug off.

#1922 10 years ago

i think it's ridiculous to be like "if it's done right, it's EASY! i'll show em how!" the devil is in the details and everything seems so much easier from miles away. i'm also a software engineer, and if there's one thing i've learned in this trade, it's never trust the guy who says it's easy.

#1940 10 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

-.-- --- ..- .-. / -- . -.. .. . ...- .- .-.. / -- .- -.. -. . ... ... / .. ... / .-- --- .-. - .... .-.. . ... ... / -. --- .--

haha

1 week later
#1978 10 years ago

very exciting! thanks very much for the update!

#2006 10 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

Some evenings its a tough decision between the Comedy Channel and Pinside ...

wow you still get The Comedy Channel? Higgins Boys and Gruber, The Sweet Life, Night after Night with Allen Havey ... coool ... (nobody has any idea what i'm talking about., do they...)

#2014 10 years ago
Quoted from cwell:

Networking would be sweet! Opens up a whole new world to pinball. You could put a camera on the back glass to stream game play and run world wide tournaments and leagues. Games could be recorded and validated to make sure no tampering with the score took place.

not to be a debbie downer, but ehhh, every machine plays a little bit differently no matter how much verification or tweaking you do. just one of the features inherent to pinball's analog nature....

that said, i am excited by the potential! imagine going to the basement after the wife has gone to bed, turning on your machine and seeing "oh hey dave up in Ontario is playing right now too .. hey dave, how about a rematch??"

#2019 10 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

What difference does the compressed audio files make? Not sure I understand the impact....

the compression used on the original game is not a lossless compression like a zip file -- it's a lossy compression like mp3 or jpeg. it reduces the file size by reducing the fidelity / detail / resolution of the original file. going back to the original sources would allow MMR to have higher-quality versions of the various audio clips than the original game had.

#2035 10 years ago
Quoted from Chippewa-Pin:

What are the reasons you are not in favor of the remake? I may have missed them, but the only thing I have seen from you doesn't have any, just instagatory remarks.

donnnnnnt encourage him, margaret!

1 week later
#2089 10 years ago

I am totally down with any and all delays. No hurry. Get it RIGHT. Then release it.

#2128 10 years ago

some people want one thing, some people want something else. it's not weird that a community has within it varied and contradictory opinions.

#2158 10 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

Not arguing the power efficiency of LEDs over incandescents. But Rick's original comments said the lighting would "look like" the original MM. (Not an exact quote, but that was the basic message!) LEDs don''t *have* to be brighter. (Still wish the WOZ inserts could be dimmed further!) What I want is a similar, yellowish, not-too-bright lighting that fades smoothly with no flicker/strobe. The demo video for MMR from a while back had very white flickering LEDs. Yes, that is a dealbreaker for me. I want lighting that gives the general sense of incandescents, and not bright too-white (bluish-white) too-bright/harsh LED lighting that is typical of newer games and LED retrofits.
I'm not kidding either. If the lighting is not mellow, I'll be canceling my order. When I said it can't be changed easily, I meant there's no way to replace LEDs with bulbs on a surface-mount LED board! If I bought an original MM with LEDs in it, I'd swap regular bulbs back in. Can't do that with MMR so the lighting had better be right. (I'm fine with different lighting settings, as long as one of them looks incandescent.)

please save everyone the headache of reading your future outraged posts and cancel now. thanks.

why should PPS cater the lighting in their game to your specific oddball preference?

#2160 10 years ago
Quoted from JoeJet:

Its "oddball" to request that a remake look like the original? hmmmm

yes it's completely oddball to flip out if the LEDs don't look exactly like incandescents. PPS has to make a machine that will appeal to all its buyers, most of whom consider LEDs an upgrade over incandescents. they've already said they're using warm white LEDs, but apparently that's not enough for this guy -- he needs them to be dim, and fade in and out too. maybe Rick will come in here and post that there will be a wide variety of light settings available to the end user, i don't know. maybe he'll say they are fading each bulb in and out through the software to emulate how incandescents light up. i kinda doubt it -- i don't think i've heard that news before, but who knows. sure it'd be cool to have that option, but this dude is acting like it's the end of the world if the lighting isn't as dim and yellow and delayed as an old incandescent. there are probably at least as many people who would prefer the inserts and GI to look sharper than the original.

#2174 10 years ago
Quoted from DnDPins:

I also agree that lighting is a huge factor and it was out-of-line to call it oddball and say it should be disregarded. In almost all occasions, I do not like LED retrofits. Some new games look good with them, but since this is a classic older game, the LEDs will need to have a setting where they are close to the intensity of incandescent. I do not think that is too much to ask for 8K!

as far as i know, every manufacturer currently making games is using LEDs instead of incandescents. why would they be doing this if it weren't what people preferred? i don't think it's a costcutting move - i think the majority of NiB buyers prefer LEDs (didn't say all - said a majority, and i doubt it's close).

I appreciate Herg's points about strobing/ghosting and am a huge fan of LED OCD myself. lighting is important. but posting what that guy said made him sound like a baby. direct quote -- "I'm not kidding either. If the lighting is not mellow, I'll be canceling my order." i reacted to that.

#2177 10 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

OT: What the heck does an LED OCD controller do?

LED OCD is the best mod i ever put in my STTNG -- it eliminates (virtually) all strobing and ghosting in inserts, and allows you to set custom settings for each individual light -- you can control how quickly any arbitrary LED fades in and out or what its max level is. great product. improved the look of my STTNG tremendously.

#2180 10 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

I hate this argument (in regard to LEDs in new Sterns compared to B/W games). There is a big difference between putting LEDs in games that were designed for them and games that weren't.

MMRLE is designed for LEDs....

#2216 10 years ago

Any chance we can get a glimpse of the pps logo on the back glass? (I'm excited about that btw)

#2231 10 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

Brilliant. Did you play MM when it was released in the 90's? (doubtful)

haha what a weird assumption! sure I played Medieval Madness in the 90s. and I gotta say it wasn't the yellow lighting that made that game great.

As a reminder for those slow on the uptake, Rick stated in his original announcement (I was in the room) that MMR would look and play just like the original.

he also said it would have LEDs.

Pezpunk, FYI, MM was made with incandescent lighting.

thanks for the news flash, Scoop.

Therefore, the natural conclusion is that MMR would have lighting that looks and acts similarly. It is not an "oddball preference." I paid my deposit based on this statement. And I dislike blue-white too-bright strobing/flickering LEDs. A prototype video posted a while back had blue-white lighting that did NOT look like the original game. Thus I posted my concern. And yes, if the lighting is way off, and doesn't look/behave generally like the original incandescents, then I will cancel my pre-order. I suspect others may feel this way, even if they are less vocal than me.

the game has been advertised as having LEDs since day one. why did you place a pre-order at all if you hate LEDs so much? here's a crazy suggestion - maybe unbunch your panties until the game is finalized. jeez.

#2233 10 years ago
Quoted from yotaxi125:

It was indeed weird that Steven assumed you never played MM back in the day; but the truth is that his preference still is NOT an 'oddball' preference. Different people have different preferences. Let's all put this point to bed and move on, shall we?

you are right, i'm dropping it. i apologize if i came off like an a-hole. my frustration with silly drama has merely begotten more silly drama.

1 week later
#2317 10 years ago

I can't make it to any expos so I PM'd rick my address so he can send a prototype directly to my place to try out.

#2353 10 years ago
Quoted from viper001:

How I imagine that meeting went:
<wms lawyer> So you want to pay us a lot of royalties to build new pinball machines?
<rick> Yes!
<wms lawyer> And the game won't have our name anywhere on it?
<rick> Yes!
<wms lawyer> So if it breaks down the owners will call you for help, not us, right?
<rick> Yes!
<wms lawyer> Do you have a prototype to show us?
<rick> Yep, right over there.
<wms lawyer> Looks like a pinball machine from here, and I don't see our name at all on it which is important. What do the fan boys think of it?
<rick> They have repeatedly stated that as long as it says "Medieval Madness" on it they are happy to be able to buy it.
<wms lawyer> I think we have a deal!
Before I get flamed let me say I'm glad this is moving forward and I hope it works out to everyone's expectations, and Rick is able to turn a nice profit and remake other classic titles. But let's be clear, WMS was *going* to sign off on this. To not do so would be to say they don't like money. Have you ever known a company lawyer that didn't like money?

if wanted to say "Williams has no monetary incentive to block this" you could have done so without the insults to Rick and MMR buyers.

#2362 10 years ago
Quoted from viper001:

If I had the time I could copy/paste MANY quotes from MMr folks on this very thread that would infer they are not concerned about build quality or any of other potentially negative aspects of this final product, they just want them to start being built. So my crack on them is well founded and I stand by it.
If you care to point out where I have insulted Rick I will happily apologize to him.

I'm interested in seeing this list of posts from mmrle buyers exclaiming they don't care about build quality. I myself posted several times saying "I don't care about delays, just get it right before releasing it'.

#2386 10 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

People asked for examples to support his point and he provided them. That's how a discussion works. And I'd say that based on responses here, there is definitely a wide range of what various people would consider 'acceptable' on this title. Some want a near identical copy of the original, others would be happy with similar gameplay alone and aren't as concerned about every last detail being identical. I'm actually looking forward to improvements, such as the sound, and am not too worried about the lighting. Software can make the LEDs look good.

well, he provided a bunch of quotes out of context. i'm not going to explain what each person was talking about, but for example the first guy was saying what was shown to Roger Sharpe was good enough for Roger Sharpe. i am not seeing how that implies the poster doesn't care about build quality. at worst, a couple of the posts he pasted imply that they trust Rick. none of them imply that the posters don't care about build quality.

i mean i agree with you that there is a wide range of expectations here. some want the original gameplay and consider any modernizations a bonus, while some others want it to be absolutely identical to the original. viper001's not a MMR buyer and his only input here is snarkiness and negativity. it's not much of a contribution.

#2404 10 years ago

each thumbs up we give you is a dollar off the price, right?

#2475 10 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

The Maytag repairman reference is cute but here's hoping comments like that don't eventually bite you in the ass, Rick. I think most remember Jacks comments about never releasing a game with unfinished code.

eh the maytag thing wasn't being cocky about his game's quality - he was just saying he wasn't getting any (well, many) calls, like in the old maytag commercial.

3 weeks later
#2747 10 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

LOL, well my preference is for them to give them away free to us in an unlimited amount.

this isn't a bad idea, but why can't they also pay our mortgages? what are they, greedy?

#2772 10 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

Who agreed? The pinside collective?
If it really was a no go, you'd think PPS would clarify that pretty fast.

i could be wrong but i thought they said they already had the Universal licensing to reproduce certain parts anyway.

1 week later
#2859 10 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

The calm before the storm. We're (unfortunately not me) going to get our first public look at these things in less than two weeks. I'm thinking there will be a flood of pictures, videos, and reviews.

the biggest bummer is going to be people nitpicking minute differences in gameplay between the 20 year old machine they once played and this brand new one. i mean not even two examples of a machine built at the same time ever play exactly alike ... i hope people remember that ...

#2871 10 years ago

Rick can I get mine installed with an alien/UFO theme instead of knights and castles?

Quoted from turbo20lbs:Rick this would be awesome and is there any chance we can chose white rubber installed over black?

if you want white rubbers just install some white rubbers imo. a bunch of customization options (especially ones that are required in the middle of the build process) probably just add more confusion, time, and cost to the process than it could ever possibly be worth.

#2873 10 years ago

glass can be switched out at the end of the build process in like 15 seconds though.

#2881 10 years ago
Quoted from Craig:

I had of course considered this possibility, but that doesn't mean that it is not worth asking. Putting such protectors on a complicated machine after it is built is a pain, and I would be willing to pay something to avoid having to do it. If it is an unreasonable request, Rick himself is free to say, "No." If it isn't too expensive, however, I am wiling to bet that I am not the only one who would choose this option. "Nothing ventured, nothing gained."

fair enough. doesn't hurt to ask.

#2915 10 years ago

um I don't think it's going too far out on a limb to say we're not going to see a rollergames remake.

also it's weird to me that people are so convinced that it's cheap to make a pinball machine when almost every company that tries ends up broke or near-broke.

#2922 10 years ago

those aren't getting remade either.

#2924 10 years ago

i mean ... i don't know everything, but i doubt they are going to do more than one a year at most. those four would take them into 2018. who the heck knows what will be happening in the hobby by then.

#2944 10 years ago

I've got clear rubbers on my STTNG, I really like them. they pick up light and sort of almost glow. (sorry no pics yet)

#3007 10 years ago
Quoted from yotaxi125:

Well, I really hope it is 100% complete. I agree with you there, I mean, if it isn't complete by now, then we are behind schedule for Q2 shipment I would imagine.....

why are you obsessed with the Q2 date? i won't mind a bit if it's late as long as it's good.

#3009 10 years ago
Quoted from yotaxi125:

obsessed is a strong word... and inaccurate to my situation.
it's an exciting time BECAUSE we are so close to the reported shipment period, that's all.

ok cool, sorry for being up tight.

#3012 10 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

Just throwing this out there. Why can't it be good and on time?

when i was really heavily into gaming (late 90s / early 2000s), tons and tons of crappy games would be released and complained about, and then Blizzard would dump an absolute masterpiece like StarCraft or Diablo II ... literally years behind schedule, but they were totally polished, balanced, finished, and fun games that blew away everything else on the market at the time.

i guess i am sensitive to that subject because as a gamer / software engineer, nothing is worse than rushed product. i've been on both sides of it, and believe me the engineers hate it as much as the customer. (code of course can be updated, but hardware and physical design and specs, not so much.)

#3025 10 years ago

so excited just to see pictures and reviews. I can't imagine what I'd feel if I could actually make it!

#3084 10 years ago
Quoted from pinstor12:

Smart money waits for HUO............When there is unlimited supply, price falls.

people keep using the term "unlimited" like they are just going to crank out millions of them.... you know every game Stern makes is also unlimited.

in another thread someone said "they could make 10,000 of them". seriously? this is not 1993.

#3108 10 years ago

that's really interesting about the inserts being lit by 3 LEDs, and how if one goes out, the other two compensate by getting brighter. do Stern or JJP machines do that?

#3118 10 years ago
Quoted from hardware:

It says on pinball news that they were designed to ignore the ball going SDTM. Not sure if this answers what you are asking though.

looks like the pinball news item is mistaken. on another thread people posted images of original ramp versus MMR's and nobody could tell a difference.

#3166 10 years ago

it's been impressive how this project has marched methodically towards its goal while maintaining a reasonably open communication with its buyers. by all accounts, the first public showing of the game went about as well as it could have -- another milestone in the books. kudos to Rick and the whole PPS team.

#3181 10 years ago
Quoted from YZRider926:

Haha. Well at least I'll know someone local so I can hopefully play one. I do plan on getting one eventually.

Y'all will be welcome to play mine too

3 weeks later
#3324 9 years ago

we appreciate the transparency, rick. keep up the great work!

#3394 9 years ago

so let's stick to talking about STTNG and MM.

#3402 9 years ago
Quoted from Hitch9:

Umm, seems like you brought a politician into the conversation. Set the example bud?

the previous 2 posts were all about the conservative fairy tale of lazy poor people living high on the hog on welfare. Nobody wants political discussion in a pinball thread, as illustrated by your disapproval of MY overtly political comment. I thought my point was pretty obvious.

#3435 9 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

Another update on the additional menu controls - Changeable display colors (to ANY color), Flipper control strength adjustment, and Incandescent (inserts) emulation!
http://www.planetarypinball.com/mmr-update-cgc-menu-display-color-flipper-strength-incandescent-emulation/
[email protected]

wow. now those are some great features! all three are important to me.

#3447 9 years ago

i think the black looks pretty good and am leaning towards that. i think it's awesome that rick is increasing the options and features at this stage.

#3493 9 years ago

after installing LED OCD in my two Williams games, I am totally spoiled for standard LED behavior. The fact that PPS is incorporating fade (and adjustable to boot!) is really a fantastic surprise. These are going to look better than any original ever did.

#3513 9 years ago

I guess I'm in the minority but I'm pretty happy with the options. I wish we'd let Rick get on with building these things

#3576 9 years ago

a year ago people woulda been ecstatic with a players-condition MM (stainless steel trim) for that price. now here we are getting a newly manufactured game that has triple-redundant LEDs with software-controlled incandescent emulation, a color LCD in place of the DMD, designed for a software-extensible ruleset, and three options for trim. but we can't stop whining about the black being mottled versus polished. makes me wonder if anything will ever be enough for us

#3585 9 years ago
Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

Too bad you are content taking whatever folks give you. When you learn to ask or at least hold out for what you really want you may get a few nicer things in life.

i've already got the best of the things that are important to me, and more. i appreciate your sincere concern, but trust me, you do not need to worry about that on my behalf.

#3703 9 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

It's concerning that no one has posted yet that they saw it in person and want the gold.

well, that's not really true. a few people did said it looked good in person.

#3725 9 years ago
Quoted from jamieflowers:

That is really good news about not having double sided tape. That makes it much easier to swap out the hardware. Can Rick confirm this here?

Hmm now I'm confused -- in the video posted a couple days ago on the PPS site (from their presentation at the Texas show), one of the Chicago Coin representatives says it WILL be attached with double-sided tape, but that the decals don't go up that far, so the tape is only attached to wood, not decal.

#3738 9 years ago

To my knowledge they haven't mentioned the LED brightness being adjustable, just the level of fade between on/off for incandescent simulation. Seems to me max brightness level would be cake by comparison -- probably just a matter of coding it in.

#3759 9 years ago
Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

Which part?
I like Stern Mnfg, Shiny black trim, open house and accelerate production.

yeah sorry. several interesting bits in there, but the biggest surprise to me was that Stern is assembling them (which to my mind is a good thing because there are far fewer unknowns with an (the?) established current manufacturer doing it). The trim update is cool too, though, and it sucks about PAGG, but at least it shows their priorities are in order.

#3778 9 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

wow... consider me shocked this thread hasn't blown up with the Stern manufacturing news.

only because the news got its own thread:

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ann-mmr-assembly-to-be-done-by-stern-pinball-for-ppschicago-gaming

#3820 9 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

I saw an example of this many years ago. A manufacturer of Transformers for model railroads sent two in for UL testing/approval.
They were returned looking like a truck ran over them. Completely destroyed.
LTG : )™

for a second i was like "there was a Transformers model railroad?? cool!" then i realized what you meant!

1 week later
#3872 9 years ago
Quoted from yonizzell:

Ok, everyone. Just want to clear this up and I'm out of here for good. Joe of Pinball Star did nothing wrong. I ordered a machine and decided I wanted out, so I came here to post that I had a MMRLE spot to see if someone wanted it. He's a little upset at me right now, but no matter how he feels about me, I just want you all to know that I wasn't trying to bad mouth him at all and I never did directly ask him for a refund of my deposit. I'm sure if I would've asked him he would have done it for me. I JUST CAME ON HERE TO SEE IF SOMEONE WANTED MY SPOT, THAT IS ALL!

i'm glad that you and Joe seem to have worked this out amicably, but pinsiders responding with incredulity or concern were not in the wrong here. the intent was to stick up for you. according to your original post, you had requested a refund and were refused. this would have been blatantly unethical on the part of the distributor, and you can understand people wanting to know who it was that was being shady. since then, that portrayal of the situation has changed, but you can't blame people for reacting how they did given the what you said at first. i don't want you to have a negative impression of the people here when they were merely reacting to what you were saying. it seems to have worked itself out, though, and that's great.

on the subject of you selling your spot, as far as i know, PPS is discouraging / not supporting that kind of swap, at least partially because deposits are still refundable.

#3874 9 years ago

I think we'll have to play it to really see how the shaker code .... shakes out ... Or something ...

#3888 9 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

Does the $500 up charge provide a longer warranty than the folks who paid $8,000?
Is this offered by all PPS dealers?

1. no
2. i'm sure if you want to give distributors an extra $500 there aren't many that will say no.

2 weeks later
#3975 9 years ago
Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

Shiny Black and very happy . PPS is the shite!

aww, was hoping you'd pick something different from me so we could compare in person.

#4040 9 years ago

I am the world's biggest fan of rich, royal purple. anyone who's seen my plum crazy challenger or my STTNG for that matter can attest to that. but I'm not sure it'd be a popular option for MM.

#4056 9 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

I think it adds a nice strategy. Do you finish off a damsel save or peasant riot or go for Royal Madness right away?

My strategy is use flippers to stop ball from draining.

#4072 9 years ago

Thank you for the clarification, Rick! Still waiting on that advice how to tell the wife ...

1 week later
#4130 9 years ago
Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

They will probably make standards but also probably less then 1000 which means the standard version will be more rare and possibly more valuable, not that it matters to me at all but some people buy pins as investments or to flip.

The standard will never be more valuable than the LE. Rarity is not the sole decider of value. Otherwise Addams Familys would be $200 each and Popeye would be worth more than Medieval Madness.

#4162 9 years ago

Cliffs notes:
- July 10th is the date down payments become non-refundable
- the first batch of production games at Stern are tentatively scheduled to begin in the last few days of July.

#4164 9 years ago

Tough choice! The gold has a bad rap around here but I think it looks pretty good in that pic.

#4200 9 years ago

in my experience, people who try to cut corners and shirk requirements on technicalities often end up in bad situations (and are quick to blame anyone but themselves for their predicament). keep doing it right, Rick.

#4244 9 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

Trim is only about $275 of it...

Sure, but it's super-visible and the first thing people will notice when they see the game.

#4251 9 years ago

alright i'm off to the LED OCD thread to spend 3 pages demanding blue diagnostic LEDs.

#4283 9 years ago
Quoted from Nepi23:

In my short experience of changing WMS siderails, it is much easier to change siderails on such machines, where the sideart has been printed on the cabinet itself, but it is much more difficult when decals have been used on the pin. I managed to tear a bit of the sideart decals when I exchanged the sideart for such a machine.

the decals on MMR stop short of the siderail tape for this reason.

#4342 9 years ago
Quoted from mario_1_up:

What does it matter if they take now or a month from now? It has to leave you bank account at some point.

A month is no big deal, but I don't see where we've been assured a month or two is all we'll be waiting. I'm a pretty trusting guy, but I am not excited to pay in full for a game to be delivered who knows when.

#4450 9 years ago
Quoted from lapean111:

Just spoke with Jack, he explained all of the details. Needless to say, I am getting really excited! Also, check your spam filter, I should have received the email from Jack a few days ago, but it got stuck in spam. Count me in on the discounted invisaglass.

found mine in my spam folder as well :/

#4466 9 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

The original deposit schedule was "by WMS approval" which was a long time ago. There's been a huge grace period of several months.

yeah that is true. however, every distro is making their own rules about refunds (as is their right). i think the only point of contention is that JJP customers received no notification immediately prior to whenever the actual lockdown date was. I think people were envisioning some kind of communication from JJP telling them the deposits were about to become permanent, and were surprised to find that they had gone from refundable to non-refundable without any communication since the initial receipt of the deposit.

I don't think it's a huge deal, but I can see where they're coming from. I do hope this doesn't go on for too many pages in this thread, though.

#4508 9 years ago
Quoted from gaspumprob:

I am going to get mine in black . I was leaning towards black but was afraid it would have a Data East/ Stern feel. So I showed my wife the picture of all three lined up and she right away chose the black. I asked her why and she said that the silver looked non LE , and the gold did not look as good to her when focusing on the front of the cabinet looking at the decals and legs. She thought the black looked richer and went well with the decals. The only thing we wished was a smother black finish. The finish in the closeup picture looks like a fairly rough one? Is it smooth?? Someone who has seen it in person please chine in and let me know how smooth the finish is compared to Stern's.
Just our opinion not saying the gold is not a good choice.
Black is our choice!
Rob

the original plan when black was first introduced as an option was to have a rough black finish like Stern Pro models (which is probably the closeup you're talking about), but that was later changed to a smooth "shiny" semi-gloss instead.

#4764 9 years ago
Quoted from Pintucky:

Perfectly said! This is not nit-picking. This is a genuine, concrete issue. When PPS said it was a true reproduction they should have stuck to that. For those of us who went through the JJP debacle, this 'trimming off' of a component of a pin repro is a bad sign. Granted, it is small money . . . but it is the principle of the matter! I feel I paid for a coin mech.

i don't really get this point of view. what do you gain by making some kind of stubborn principled stand complaining about a part that you readily acknowledge is cheap and easy to replace? rick has given you plenty of lead time to order a $12 coin mech if you need one so desperately. it just seems like a very coddled point of view that you'd rather whine about a problem ad infinitum rather than take the very simple action required to solve it.

#4778 9 years ago
Quoted from Pintucky:

I do get disgusted with all the trash talk and the spouting off of the "cheap $12.00 gizmo"! For you high-rollers who enjoy wasting money, you go for it!

it's really hard to take an admonishment about being frugal from a guy who is apparently spending $8000 on a pinball machine. if you can't afford a $12 coin mech maybe you should have passed on MMRLE.

#4783 9 years ago

*backs away slowly, nodding and smiling*

#4785 9 years ago

edit: apologies for the derail.

#4807 9 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

The ramps on mmr are the original brass color.

Quoted from indypinhead:

The wireforms will be brass too?

uhm...

#4812 9 years ago
Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

This is my peeve equal to the grammar nazis. lately someone will post in a thread something like "Asked for my refund to be applied it to XX game". The next post says how fast did the refund arrive. People do not read the post or threads and just keep posting even when its answered or despite being clearly not what the next person is reading?. For some reason its happening a lot more lately.

it's, not its.

#4823 9 years ago
Quoted from indypinhead:

IMO, there's a difference between ramps and wireforms.
Excuse me for asking...

So what you are saying is you took rick's comment to mean he was brass-plating the plastic ramps.

#4855 9 years ago
Quoted from JoeJet:

I just paged back through the pages and found it pretty quick looking for PPS comments but yea, the Topic Search is pretty easy.
Just asking the same questions over and over is one of the reasons why this thread is 97 pages.

I think it's 10% already answered questions, 85% arguments over trim colors etc, and 5% news from rick.

1 week later
#4954 9 years ago

if only there were some sort of mechanism built into the forum software to indicate agreement with a post...

#4973 9 years ago

why would rick order through a distributor? (edit: sorry, lame joke )

#5034 9 years ago
Quoted from dkazz1:

+1 jalpert
Reading is fundamental Or at least you would think it would be
Well at least seeing that beaten like a dead horse a few pages ago.....lol

eh, i don't really blame a guy who's not buying an MMR for not keeping up to date on every little drip of info about it.

#5046 9 years ago

man people who didnt buy MMR are really mad about MMRs lack of coin mechs.

#5061 9 years ago
Quoted from TVP:

It is a matter of principal.

ok i know this is both anal and off topic, but this is the fourth time in the last week i've seen this phrase on Pinside and all four times the poster has incorrectly used "principal" when they meant "principle". i try not to be a grammar nazi, but this case seems to be a spreading epidemic.

and now back to your regularly scheduled program...

#5073 9 years ago

there's a big difference between "manual and bag of spare parts" and a coin mech, though. in a home use environment, the manual and bag of spare parts are useful if not essential.

err, speaking of which ... hey Rick, does this thing come with a manual?

#5083 9 years ago

can we at least limit complaints about coin mechs to people who have bought the game? I think the last 5 people who have brought the issue up have been non-buyers (not sure if Crash is in or not, I think he is?)

#5089 9 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Why? What about the people that may buy one later? This is an open forum isn't it?

absolutely, of course it is. the subject is just getting a little tiresome is all. seems like we've covered the array of responses at this point, and most of the time it's being brought back up by someone with no invested interest, they're just stirring up drama. but maybe I'm just hungry for new news.

#5118 9 years ago
Quoted from TVP:

There isn't one person in this whole thread that is saying that they would rather have coin mechs than a shaker or trim or leds. Where do you come up with this stuff? People are simply saying that this is a $8000 coin-op machine that cannot accept coins and the reasoning behind it is absurd. That's all.

And it's only you and three other posters who also aren't getting a MMR that refuse to drop the subject.

#5120 9 years ago
Quoted from TVP:

Well, when my machine arrives I'll post a picture and you can then tell everyone here that you know nothing as to what you are talking about and you are just being a dick. OK?

Alright, i was mistaken, sorry. If you say you're getting one I believe you. But most of the people perpetuating this subject are not.

Edit: furthermore, at this point, I'm probably being as annoying as anyone. I will drop it.

#5199 9 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

I'm not sure if everyone read the part where I have deeply discounted mechs. The decision was made by Chicago Gaming for the mechs, and that is the way it is. We will have them (metal ones) pretty cheap. I can understand this is inconvenience for a few as we believe that this is a very small % of people who really will need them.
rick

this is so absurd. the people complaining, as far as I can tell, aren't even going to put them on route -- and that's the minority of complainers who are actually buying the game. they are just being crybabies for the sake of having something to complain about. it's the most insane display of stubborn pointless whining I've seen in a long time.

#5202 9 years ago

it seems like a route op who is spending 8 grand is already making bad decisions. what's another $15? I don't think there's a leg to stand on from any kind of practical "this will affect my business" standpoint. it's purely people who are concerned with the "principal" of the thing. which, again, seems like stubborn whining to me.

#5292 9 years ago

Well, I have played the original in real life (as well as on my iPad, which is certainly passably similar but not the same). I don't know if I'd rate it the greatest pinball ever made ... I've personally got too much sentimentality invested in Black Hole and STTNG to make that kind of proclamation. But I like it well enough that I was in on day one and haven't had a second thought since. that is no small praise!

You are right that we're buying this thing mostly sight-unseen, and from a brand new company to boot (edit: brand new to making pins, anyway, Vacation America notwithstanding). We're spending 8 large on a game. I am not sure there's any rational defense of what we've done, Mike, but if a man's gonna take a risk ... I dunno, I feel like we could have done worse. I think this thing is gonna be great. Call me an optimist.

#5297 9 years ago
Quoted from Pintucky:

This is especially true since I have not told my wife I have bought one! She thinks pinball is a waste of time and money, and I am going to get a good tongue-lashing when it arrives. I'm nervous on two counts: Can't wait to see this pin, and the fear of when my wife sees it. I've got a few weeks to think of how to tell her how I came up with the money. Talk about 'Scared Stiff'!!! Ha
She will know I didn't win the Lottery. I'm thinking of telling her I hit it big on some stocks and I sold some of them for this 'investment'. She knows I've sold several pins in the past and made some profit. I hope this works. If it doesn't, I will be like Richard Nixon, and you guys won't have me to kick around anymore . . .

Hahaha. I know EXACTLY how you feel. I told my wife about 2 weeks ago. This thread was the result -- https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fs-in-virginia-pristine-funhouse-5900-navl-available#post-1788972

1 week later
#5412 9 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

Offer someone something for free, and just about everyone is going to want it.

yeah ... no offense, i think coin mechs are irrelevant, but i will sign up for one if someone's offering em for free.

#5452 9 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

Effective communication is a two-way street.
I didn't "ruin" anything. Rick just showed everyone he has no interest in having two-way dialogs with his most energized customer base. To me, that is mind boggling, but that's his right. It's also a very convenient way from taking responsibility or answering questions without being dismissive.

If you have questions call him. Have you called him?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 24.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 64.99
$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 12.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 16.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Decals
Creative Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 44.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 130.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinwize.com

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pezpunk.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mmr-pps-and-overall-update-official-pps-oct-21-2013?tu=pezpunk and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.