(Topic ID: 67443)

MMR PPS and Overall Update - Official PPS (Oct 21, 2013)

By PPS

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 5,463 posts
  • 470 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by pmWolf
  • Topic is favorited by 98 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-77.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
pps.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Screenshot_2013-11-01-14-19-50.png
Screenshot_2013-09-14-17-45-13.png
yawn.jpg
Rick.jpg
42-3079-100.JPG
issue tissue.jpg
facepalmgroup.gif
elephant-in-the-room.jpg
math.gif
untitled.png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider o-din.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

#70 10 years ago

Two questions Rick-

First, thanks for making this possible.

1. Will this repro have the lockbar holes in the front of the cabinet like the original, and if so can they be deleted.

2. How and where will the plaque be attached, and can it be ordered not attached to the machine.

Thanks.

#76 10 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

We could always sell add-on weights to improve gameplay.

Good one!

#111 10 years ago

It could always come in the goody bag.

#115 10 years ago
Quoted from Triumvirat73:

OMG, now we want goody bags?! When will this stop??

We want our LEs to look like the standard.

#147 10 years ago

Pinball weight mods! lol! What's next, balls with gyros inside?

#158 10 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

we would issue cards that get stamped, buy 10, get one free or something like that ...

I'm just hoping to get my first "stamp" at this point.

#204 10 years ago

I'm sure the guys at Williams are aware of the code shortcomings of CC. Whether or not they would approve of using an updated or more completed code is another story.

#229 10 years ago
Quoted from lapean111:

But black sucks...

It worked just fine when the game was new.

#297 10 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

- The game is emulating the original code - it is running that way.

I know there are those that know more about this than me, but can someone please explain what emulating actually means?

#303 10 years ago

Thanks Captive_Ball. That helps a bunch. How bout emulating code.

#310 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

So rather than using the original hardware, chips, board etc there will be new boards that will run software that pretends to be old hardware (that's the emulation part) and will recreate all the same responses the original hardware would have had. It's essentially the way the current virtual pinball tables work, the software on the computer emulates the old hardware, this will just be a dedicated board set to do it.

If done right it should be unnoticeable to the end user.

Thanks!

#312 10 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

The biggest worry I have as far as any "emulation" goes is the sound board. Hopefully it's dead on, but Rick keeps saying it will sound BETTER...so we'll see about that.

Maybe that annoying "pop" in between balls will finally be gone!

#369 10 years ago
Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

No, please don't put that logo on. I would have to buy a new speaker panel and translite.

I think it would look pretty cool.
DSCF5702.jpgDSCF5702.jpg

#389 10 years ago
Quoted from jayhawkai:

Just call it Planetary Madness.

DSCF5702-1.jpgDSCF5702-1.jpg

#461 10 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

A previous question, yes you would be able to order a MM Translite (Next Gen) aftermarket and put in the game, to give it the 'official wms look' ...

And we could hang our Planetary Madness on the wall.

#466 10 years ago

Rick, I know I've mentioned this elsewhere, and you've mentioned modifying code to get rid of annoyances, just wondering if you are working to remove that speaker "pop" that comes between balls on the original.

#486 10 years ago
Quoted from Kcpinballfan:

Do all of you currently like the LE situation with Stern?

I love my METLE.

#491 10 years ago
Quoted from Kcpinballfan:

If all the games were the same as the LE you would still love it.

Of course!

#522 10 years ago

I can spend $30k on a vehicle that uses technology I don't understand, but if a bulb goes out in the dash I'm gonna shrug and contact the peeps that know what they're doing.

Pinball machines have mostly been built for operators that know how to tackle small issues like that. If we, as home buyers, want the machines in our game rooms then we need to learn the ropes or be prepared to pay those that know how to do the work.

If there's a pinball machine in my home, and theres something I can't fix, I hire a pro. Turns out he can't fix it either, and tech support can't help. If I had a $30,000 car in my garage, I would replace the burnt out bulb myself, because the dealer mechanics are underpaid and would screw something else up (that and I am the best auto tech I know).

The point is, if it is in your home, you can fix it or at least try.

#571 10 years ago

Besides, everything he's done up to this point has been classy

That's an understatement.

#577 10 years ago

Will most of the components be manufactured domestically?

#615 10 years ago

Hi Rick,

It has been stated that the cabinets and playfields will be built by Churchill and the machines will be assembled by Chicago Gaming. That much we know.

Earlier in this thread when you were asked who would manufacture the parts you didn't already have, you stated that this was information you would not disclose.

I have heard that you may be outsourcing the manufacture of parts for this machine to a company or companies in
China. Is that something you can confirm or deny? And if so, which parts? Or is that something else you won't disclose.

As a buyer of one of your machines, with the stated warrantee, that is information that I would really like to know.

#622 10 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Does it matter, if they are made good ?

Not if they are good, but I have seen many examples of bad craftsmanship from China, especially where welding may be required, like wireforms and ball guides.

#626 10 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Thankfully American parts producers have never done that.

Nope. I just would like to know the country of origin of anything I purchase. i really don't know where the other manufacturers get their parts either, I just assumed they made most everything at their factories.

#628 10 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Even Williams didn't do that. Lots of sub contractors ( 90 + ) and Williams assembled the pieces/parts.
LTG : )

You know a lot more about it than I would. I'm just trying to get an insight into a major purchase for me, and hope that it will stay together as long as the original has, or if it will fall apart in 6 months like the patio set I bought from China.

#630 10 years ago

That's what I'm after!

#635 10 years ago

I'm sure you will get the best parts you can for this project.

#640 10 years ago

Thanks for responding Rick. Now I can sleep.

#665 10 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

And they will use Mirco's art work for the playfield.

Wasn't there two different shades of purple?

#671 10 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

fake mm proto.jpg 150 KB

That's the lowest definition camera shot that ever made $1,000,000. lol.

#687 10 years ago
Quoted from RustyLizard:

Probably the reason pictures are slow to come is they have to be perfect because when they do come people on this website will tear it to shreds,

According to Phil, it is a phenomenal copy of the original.

#692 10 years ago

I'm guessing the playfield is populated, and it is a fully working machine, but the cabinet may not have it's artwork yet, but I would be happy with a clear picture of the playfield at this time.

#719 10 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

Everyone stop using credit cards? How about a realistic solution?

fcend.jpgfcend.jpg

#776 10 years ago

I hope you're getting better Rick. I had a touch of something last week myself. Cough, cough. And I rarely get ill. Nasty stuff.

Anyway, I was a little curious, correct me if I'm wrong, but by eliminating the switch or lamp matrix, doesn't that increase the number of wires and connectors that go to the boards?

#806 10 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

That Iron Man looks sweet!

So do all those Hi-Def pics of the MMr prototyoe.

#868 10 years ago

I asked this before, but what are the plusses of getting rid of a matrix system.

#883 10 years ago

That answers my question. Just like matrices were used to eliminate wires on pinball machines, busses have been used on automobiles to do the same. The only problem being that they have now added wires for functions that never really needed them. Like using the cars PCM to activate the horn.

#887 10 years ago

Maybe he's still sick. He has probably been under a bit of stress lately, I'd imagine.

#892 10 years ago

Wow!

#896 10 years ago

Way less wires than a Ford Fusion!

#909 10 years ago

Less wires hanging= less weight. Boards are usually pretty light.

#913 10 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

so the idea is that the game (other than selected legal notices) should be the same with minimal variations on the standard parts.

I heard something about the ramp design.

#919 10 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Yep, I totally forgot about the wiring harness when asking the question.

Copper is a valuable commodity. Now you won't have to worry about tweakers breaking into your house just to take your MMr for it's copper.

#925 10 years ago
Quoted from jayhawkai:

Breakshot remake!

Speaking of which, Bob just showed up. He loves that game! Time to play pinball!

#939 10 years ago

I bet it will look great.

#942 10 years ago
Quoted from jayhawkai:

How does that translate to an Airborne remake?

Don't get ahead of your self now.

#946 10 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

just let me know what game you want to see the prices dip and then I will say we are making it ... lol

Can you make Judge Dredd cheaper than $1400?

#948 10 years ago

#951 10 years ago

#1038 10 years ago

If I remember correctly, the trolls can be a high maintenance item.

#1041 10 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

we have the ability to do anything with WMS/BLY titles of all years

I know a quite a few people that are looking for a Fireball in nice condition. I'm guessing that remaking an EM might be out of the question. But what do I know? You are the man with the plan.

#1044 10 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Doesn't seem high maintenance to me.

The one I received directly from HEP with new troll cages broke one almost immediately, and the new owner of the machine has also had to replace one. They were not braised.

#1046 10 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Thank you for the update,

I do not know the source of those cages, but yes, braising them would have made them stronger.

#1050 10 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

I hate this mentality. I bought one once, and it broke therefore

What mentality? The point I'm making is that they can break, and if they do, they will need to be serviced. There was a weak spot on the troll cages. Maybe these will be better.

#1053 10 years ago
Quoted from btw75:

I think he means that making observations based on a small sample size is often misleading.

I was only speaking on my own experience. I believe these were brand new parts, as I know they were replaced. They very well may have been NOS, used, or repro. I don't really know. But I do know they broke after very little service.

#1061 10 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

anyone up for bulb-scoring WMS game remakes?

th-3-263.jpegth-3-263.jpeg

#1064 10 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

there are people who approach us all the time wanting to make earlier games ... so as I usually say never say never ...

One thing I have noticed reading this forum. Some people don't care for or respect the history of pinball or the great machines of the past, especially if it was before their time. I believe you can have as much fun playing an old woodrail as a modern DMD game. I have a machine that is brand new, and one that is older than me, and all points in between. If you only dwell on one era, then you are missing out on the rest of this great hobby. IMO.

#1067 10 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

One thing I've noticed about EM fans is they just can't accept the fact that many of us just find those games uninteresting and boring.

Then you probably would have not liked growing up when pinball was king. It was a simpler time without computers, cell phones, and all the other distractions of modern life. I respect your opinion, but I'm happy that I get to enjoy the entirety of this hobby, and I pity those that can't.

#1072 10 years ago

Dude, don't get so excited! I never asked for your opinion, but you threw me into a group of EM fans that can't accept your opinion. I never said that. It was only an observation that I have seen a lot of negative words towards EMs in general. You don't see me saying how crappy the stuff you like is. I don't care what you like, but I'm not going to say it sucks! Now excuse me while I go play Metallica.

#1075 10 years ago

Then shall we play some Metallica?

#1077 10 years ago

I like it all!

#1081 10 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Really, every pinhead should have an EM in their collection.

But watch out! If you get one of the real good ones, they may start to multiply faster than some of the newer titles, as they are usually more affordable.

#1084 10 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

If they don't enjoy the gameplay and sounds, then no - no they shouldn't.

How many EMs have you played? Or should I ask which EMs have you played?

#1092 10 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

A ton! I played as many as I could at PPE. I've played them at friend's houses. Played some at PHOF. Like I said - I appreciate them, but 1 or 2 games is enough for me

Well, that's enough for me. But If you'd like to stop by and try some of mine, you're more than welcome. Then we can do battle on METLE.

#1102 10 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

we have the ability to do anything with WMS/BLY titles of all years ...

Quoted from PPS:

there are people who approach us all the time wanting to make earlier games ... so as I usually say never say never ...

Quoted from PPS:

anyone up for bulb-scoring WMS game remakes?

On topic.

1 week later
#1206 10 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

Why would you have to pay sales tax unless you ordered from an in-state distributor

It is the LAW! But we will call it use tax if that makes you feel better.
th-550.jpegth-550.jpeg

#1238 10 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I'm not gonna pick up, sell my house & move away from my career cuz I have to pay tax on a pinball purchase. LOL

You forgot to mention the nice weather.

2 weeks later
#1263 10 years ago

$1000 deposit and balance do when again?

Somewhere around tax time.

#1266 10 years ago

Ps. You ever gunna find an avatar pic that you like?

I may eventually go back to my original one, and then maybe just fade away......................

I think he said the balance would be due a couple weeks before delivery.

#1287 10 years ago
Quoted from hollywood:

(I am probably opting for the Standard black trim anyway)

Edit-That would be a good choice, if it was an actual option.

#1294 10 years ago

Black would look way better than gold. I guess anythings possible with Rick at the helm.

#1298 10 years ago
Quoted from hollywood:

Sorry. I thought that was the option? If not, my bad!

It may not be, but you've done good, real good.

#1300 10 years ago

Ordering a MMr with standard black trim! Now everybody wants one. Majority rules!

#1310 10 years ago

The Dude abides!

#1387 10 years ago

I was.

#1515 10 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

my sense is those that 'drop out' were those wanting to make a quick buck flipping the game,

Maybe some, but that had nothing to do with my decision. Some of us are not made of money, and are not really looking to make money in this hobby, but on the other hand can't afford to risk losing too much money in it either. I got caught up in the METLE frenzy, and paid extra because I used to love the band, and it looked like an awesome pin. But the novelty wore off a few months later, and I found it was no longer worth near what I paid for it. That is a mistake that I can't afford to make twice.

However, after you have made them, and I have played one, I believe I might be able to afford a second hand one. Time will tell.

#1517 10 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

It sounds like jumping on pre orders and having LE's is your bag, and that's good for you.

No, it's not. I did it once. Twice if you include this project. It has nothing to do with code, make, model, or anything like that. I had a MM at one time, and I thought I might like another. But after the dust settled, I realized it was not in my budget. I have as much fun learning and doing repairs on these machines as playing them, so an NIB is really not for me. Again, making money and being the first one on my block to own the latest and greatest is not my thing, but every once in a while it's nice to get something new. I have purchased only one new car in my lifetime.

#1525 10 years ago
Quoted from miggitymac:

Here's a vote for the trim to be made out of ivory.

#1650 10 years ago

th-77.jpegth-77.jpeg

#1683 10 years ago

#1771 10 years ago

As long as Williams signs off on it in the next two weeks, it is right on schedule! Great job!

#1872 10 years ago
Quoted from pinball_customs:

I do have to ask.. for the people who aren't invested in the project, why does it matter to you how the game is made?

Because if you had read Ricks comments you would realize that he is not only going to make these machines for those that are invested, he will continue to make them for those that wish to purchase one later. Those people that might want to buy one later also care how the game is made.

#1883 10 years ago
Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

I figured how will they fix that castle destruction issue in that short period of time.

Maybe they won't. For Williams to sign off, it only needs to look and play like the original. I'm not sure the castle destruction sequence would matter in that regards. It is whatever Williams considers "look and play".

#1887 10 years ago

At least he's not doing it on Facebook, and editing out subjective comments.

#1890 10 years ago

Anybody that owns an original MM or any of the reproduction candidates should also be very pleased with this project, whether they are buying one or not, because previously hard to find parts should now become readily available.

1 week later
#1934 10 years ago

-

#1943 10 years ago

- .... .- - ... . .- ... -.-- ..-. --- .-. -.-- --- ..- - --- ... .- -.--

1 week later
#1960 10 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

but resulting audio quality will be much higher

As long as you can get rid of that nasty pop, I'll be happy!

#1974 10 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Also people need to get over how small and simple this is.

The original PCM wasn't very large either. In the end it will be all about the driver boards.

#2040 10 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

sequels to games,

Mmmm.... Black Knight 3000! Bring it! But lets make this one for the lefties.

#2070 10 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

Posted an update on the blog
http://www.planetarypinball.com/category/mmr
thanks,
WMS Approval Process – we are the first ever to go thru this with WMS, so Roger Sharpe (PPS’s WMS Business Interface) is scheduled for the end of the first week of January (1/7) to review the game, as well as play the game.
rick

How did that go?

#2086 10 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

good luck this week!

Or next week...

#2095 10 years ago

It looks like everything is on schedule. Congrats on making it happen!

#2121 10 years ago
Quoted from djb_rh:

You want what?

Everybody's finally getting what they have been wanting for years, and for some reason either it just can't be real or or maybe it's just too real. Go back a couple years and the only complaining was that there were not enough Medieval Madnesses to go around.

#2130 10 years ago
Quoted from djb_rh:

I'm not even on the list.

Quoted from djb_rh:

I'm not on the list,

I would like to make a point that everybody that is posting comments here is on the list. The list of Pinside members that have the right to voice their opinion on any thread on this website whether they are pre-ordering a pinball machine, considering ordering one later, or has an idea about what is going on, or even if they have no idea what is going on.

1 week later
#2225 10 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

the artwork has been completed.

I saw this news yesterday and I was wondering if the prototype that Roger Sharpe inspected a week and a half ago was sporting the final artwork. Or will he have to do another inspection. The way it sounded was that he was ready to sign off on it the way it was and the next step was to bring in the legal team for signing.

#2247 10 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

I have a feeling Rick's customers will be harder to satisfy than Williams legal department.

t's all relative to which direction the money is flowing, I'm sure.

#2299 10 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Perhaps they are recognizing the comeback?

Yeah. The comeback of the greenback.

1 week later
#2349 10 years ago
Quoted from NJGecko:

Don't show something to the masses until it's finished.

Quoted from chadderack:

But there's value in showing SOMEthing..

Whatever Rick showed to Roger was good enough.

#2396 10 years ago
Quoted from viper001:

If I had the time I could copy/paste MANY quotes from MMr folks on this very thread that would infer they are not concerned about build quality or any of other potentially negative aspects of this final product, they just want them to start being built. So my crack on them is well founded and I stand by it.

I see you quoted me. What does that have to do with the price of tea in China? I was responding to those that seem to think that MMr is still in a prototype stage with more work to be done. My understanding is that Roger and company would only sign off once the machine looked and played like the original. So it must be finished, right? I have already questioned this, and by getting no answer, I assumed it to be true.

#2402 10 years ago

Aren't those a Stern product?

#2419 10 years ago

I guess I'm still not getting the part about doing changes to what Williams approved. Will somebody explain to me how that works.

#2421 10 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

if you have ever made anything that is approved there is a certain 'bar' that needs to be hit to insure that it conforms to what is required - in this case game play, artwork, legal notices, etc. Above that most any licensee doesn't care and does not need to spend the time on what minor things are done - things are not controlled that way at all in most things.

Thanks. Minor bugs should be addressed. I'm guessing it is a beautiful machine the way it sits right now.

#2593 10 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

More perks to come if I have my way ...

Now you are making me kick myself for spending my deposit on cheap booze and fast women.

1 month later
#2876 10 years ago

I guess the black trim idea that everybody was so hyped up on for a day or two, has now gone out the window.

#2878 10 years ago
Quoted from lapean111:

Rick never said that black trim would be an option.

I believe he may have said he would consider it.

#2882 10 years ago
#2884 10 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

Also, Rick hasn't posted in or started that thread.

Nope. But it's good reading just the same. The poll results are what got my attention.

#2906 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I think people who put cliffys all over brand new games are nuts

If I had put one on my NIB METLE's shooter lane when it was new, then there wouldn't have been a huge divot there after 500 plays before I sold it. Lesson learned.

#2909 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I didn't realize you had an LE before that Pro you traded to Evan.

No pro. I still don't know why they call it that. My Tron LE is fully protected however. The wood or something along the edges just isn't the same as it used to be.

#2912 10 years ago
Quoted from retired_user_101:

can chicks in bikinis delivery mine?

Will any of these chicks do? Make sure you use a Cliffy! Or Mantis if you prefer.
th-4.jpegth-4.jpeg

#2919 10 years ago

Dude gets another thumbs up. But I might be in for an under 4k BK2K remake. Oh never mind, mines plenty nice.

#2957 10 years ago

So i can now get Black Nickel trim, my choice of Mantis or Cliffy protectors, and any color rubber I like? All installed during assembly? Wow! i may have to get back on board with this reproduction.

#2959 10 years ago
Quoted from Bay78:

It has been said earlier that they will use the original black rubber on the game.

That's good. Because that's what all the games that came with get replaced with when I shop them out. i save the white ones for the older machines that had them originally. Occasionally I will mix it up a bit. A lot of the black stuff that you find on the playfield using any rubber is coil dust. Everybody has their own taste though. I prefer the black on modern games.

#2963 10 years ago

th-9.jpegth-9.jpeg

#2975 10 years ago
Quoted from retired_user_101:

black rubber on huo tron

Yeah, that's not a spot you are supposed to be aiming for anyway.

#2977 10 years ago

Interesting concept.

#2989 10 years ago

th-896.jpegth-896.jpeg

#3001 10 years ago
Quoted from TaTa:

Can somebody answer the question please!

We'll be there.
5257148377_238a27d21e_z.jpg5257148377_238a27d21e_z.jpg

#3079 10 years ago

The insert lighting looks good.

#3097 10 years ago

In the pinball news article they mention that the ramp entrances look different than the original. I'm not sure if i can tell what that is.
http://www.pinballnews.com/shows/tpf2014/index3.html

#3100 10 years ago
Quoted from 2000_Alum:

Looks like the two-staged ramps are angled instead of straight to me.

I wonder why.

#3196 10 years ago

The remake will definitely benefit existing MM owners now that they can get all the parts they need.

1 week later
#3284 10 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

Hundreds of people played the game at tpf, so we were assuming that with all of that exposure there, there would be plenty of video ..

And probably already quite an aroma.

#3287 10 years ago
Quoted from OlDirty:

and where are those videos

Moonlanding studios.

2 weeks later
#3347 10 years ago
Quoted from Luke_Nukem:

screw production for 2 days and just come to Allentown

#3357 9 years ago

They should feel lucky they have a pinball show at all.

#3377 9 years ago

Glad I live in So Cal.
496.jpg496.jpg

#3379 9 years ago
Quoted from eggbert52:

Factor in your gas, state, local tax and the fact that Toyota left the state...those two babes aren't worth it.

I work five minutes from home, and unless I am going to pick up a pinball machine, my Toyota rarely leaves the driveway let alone the state. And the taxman? Bwaaahaaaaa!!!!!

#3399 9 years ago

th-2-524.jpegth-2-524.jpeg

#3403 9 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

the previous 2 posts were all about the conservative fairy tale of lazy poor people living high on the hog on welfare.

I believe you misread mine Mr. Pezpunk. Although I did say "high on the hog". And that I choose not to live that way.

#3410 9 years ago

Nice to have a choice.

#3543 9 years ago

I don't think the textured finish on my old Data East games is too bad, but when I ordered a replacement lockdown bar for it, it was too rough. Terry at PBL told me that is the texture that is now being used and I sent it back. A light texture is not bad, but a heavy one not only looks bad, it doesn't feel right to the hands. But smooth trim would look much better on this machine. Just my opinion.

#3547 9 years ago

It probably would have simplified this whole operation if original stainless trim had been the only option from the beginning. Just like the original. I'm sure nobody would have complained. But the cat's out of the bag now, so to speak.

#3556 9 years ago

Could I get one with stainless siderails, black legs, and a gold coin door? I like to mix it up a bit.

Damn. you beat me to it! :

#3558 9 years ago
Quoted from Sly_Old_Devil:

fu*kit just do unobtainium and don't worry about the coin door.

Haven't you heard, plutonium is the only way to glow!

#3562 9 years ago
Quoted from Sly_Old_Devil:

u seriously would not want a plutonium coin door next to your nuts,
has Stern been using it?

Not that I know of...

#3577 9 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

makes me wonder if anything will ever be enough for us

#3589 9 years ago
Quoted from BoJo:

In the end no matter what Rick chooses he will not be able to make 100% of the people happy.

Well, if he leaves the trim choices as is, I bet most people will probably opt for stainless, which would then probably make him happy.

#3599 9 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Very cool tune! Never head of Metric.

I like to share.

#3606 9 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

I have to listen to what my kids are listening to somewhat.

My kid likes the Arctic Monkeys, and so do I! In fact it seems like we both like all the same stuff lately. Alt Nation.

#3611 9 years ago
Quoted from gcp:

there are 200+ posts whining about the fucking color of the rails? Get a grip people!

Well being that in six months time, the 1000 people that ordered LEs have seen the trim go from this-143533-i.jpg143533-i.jpg

To this-
20140501_1415331.jpg20140501_1415331.jpg
I can sort of understand the frustration.

#3625 9 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

For $8,000 let's just have real brass trim.

It will never wear off or peel and people can brag about what brand brass polish they use on it.

Would that be solid brass or brass plating? Didn't Addams gold use solid brass?

#3627 9 years ago

Well isn't that what most people thought they were going to get? If Williams could do it, how hard can it be?

#3629 9 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Brass has tripled in price since the Williams days.

(although so did the price of MM, so it might be the same difference)

At $8000, you would think that would not be an issue.

#3633 9 years ago
Quoted from mtdouble:

Solid brass is not going to happen.....dream on gents.

You're kidding, right?
th-1-968.jpegth-1-968.jpeg

#3642 9 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Can that be chalked up to the camera?The color temperature is clearly different in each of those pics...

I believe the flyer is an actual artists rendition of what the machine was going to look like, which gave me the impression that it was going to be similar to what came on Addams gold, a shiny brass. The other pic is a textured powdercoat which is not so shiny.

#3656 9 years ago

1. Solid gold
2. Nickel black
3. Solid brass
4. None of the above

#3658 9 years ago
Quoted from hollywood:

God I hate Nickelback…..

How bout Pennywise?

#3664 9 years ago
Quoted from mario_1_up:

it makes sense to install it at the factory is that it's a pain and expensive to ship separately,

Wouldn't this also be true of some high quality trim?

#3699 9 years ago

Good thing stainless steel never clashed with any of the artwork.

#3731 9 years ago
Quoted from FullBlown:

Brass legs Arrived for my Medieval
Much better then the red

Looks much better than powder coated mustard also. But I think purple is the ticket!

#3758 9 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

We have announced a specialty manufacturing arrangement using Stern Pinball Inc's factory to do the major assemblies for MMR.

Will the game come with finished code?

#3803 9 years ago

Did someone say party?
th-1-206.jpegth-1-206.jpeg

3 weeks later
#3978 9 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

- that leaves the shiny black - which will show all imperfections in the metal and the stampings as well as fingerprints, but the masses have spoken and that will be the black that we use.

Good call Rick! Most of us don't mind wiping fingerprints off our games anyway. It comes with the territory.

#3999 9 years ago
Quoted from HOOKED:

More importantly - when does production start? - or has it?

I've been following this thread pretty closely and haven't seen any updates that say the machine won't start shipping in Q2 2014 as scheduled.

#4001 9 years ago

Perhaps some already have.

#4024 9 years ago
Quoted from Steve_in_Escalon:

Did anyone else notice the holes for the lock bar? WTF?

Yeah, but it does look to have matching black bolts.

#4032 9 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

I've not had the discussion on the WPC95 Lockbar, but in my view they should definately NOT be there. Certainly anyone can drill holes in their cabinet ... but it won't be us!

1 week later
#4063 9 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

Shouldn't there be games on the line at stern now? Rick said they'd start end of June!

Start shipping by the end of June I believe. And since I haven't noticed any update saying otherwise, it leads me to believe they are probably on the line right now.

#4065 9 years ago
Quoted from cleland:

I love the optimism, but I don't think they will start running until the end of July and then they have to go back to Chicago Gaming from Stern for the final touches and shipping.

You are probably right. Because besides a few bits and pieces, I am yet to see any quality high definition photos or vids of the prototype or the finished product. Even though many have been asking for them since day one.

#4067 9 years ago

That slipped by me.

#4070 9 years ago
Quoted from TaTa:

***EDIT*** Had to take a call while posting

I edited mine also.
Now how bout some pics!

1 week later
#4121 9 years ago

Still waiting for pics....

#4148 9 years ago

Ooooo.... that was my machine.
I was hoping to see similar quality photos of the prototype with it's new logo now that it's finished. But I'm sure we will all see it in time.

#4192 9 years ago

Using blue instead of purple on the front of the cabinet is a nice touch. Maybe it's just the light.

#4212 9 years ago
Quoted from nipenzo:

It's impossible for me to make an informed decision on the trim color based on the photos you are releasing.

I already made mine. I'm out. At least until I can see one in person. All this technology and I can't even tell if the trim is still textured or not. Or what color the cabinet decals are.

#4214 9 years ago

Or use a $100 piece of crap Nikon like mine. Lack of good pics has led me to thinking that showing close ups of this machine is not desirable for PPS at a time when people have to decide whether to go thru with the purchase or not. I have been waiting for a reason to maybe get back in on this one, but now it is too late.

#4217 9 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

if a picture of powdercoated metal is causing your decision, then I doubt there is much I can do. We have shown picture after picture of the trim, it has been to shows, nothing is new here.

The pictures you have showed are good enough for me to have made my final decision. Thanks for all the effort and I am sure many will be happy to finally get the game of their dreams.

#4220 9 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Haven't you been out for months now?

Yes I have. I wanted more info before I committed myself to spending more money than I may have available when the bill came due. To be fair I also didn't want to pull out at the last minute. I have been watching and waiting to see how this turned out, thinking I might change my mind. But my instincts still tell me to wait until I can actually see one in person.

In all fairness, Rick has done a great job trying to keep this on schedule and I hope it turns out great. I look forward to playing one in whatever trim it comes with.

#4255 9 years ago
Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

Weird to me how so many pinheads ask makers to do less to keep the drama/hardship down. Really on a pin that is a remake that cost $8K plus shipping??

I felt a little heat yesterday for asking to see pics of the product that is for sale. It never made it to a show anywhere near here, and any shots of the final product have been grainy at best. One pic showed holes drilled for the lock down bar and another it looked like the colors were way off. I'm sorry if I came off a little cranky, but $8000 is a lot of money.

#4263 9 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Rick's done an amazing job communicating about everything....but good photography wasn't a strong suit. Had really nice pics of the gold trim been shown - there wouldn't have been a need for options.

This is the point I have been trying to make all along. When I was looking to purchase my first MM, I was given a link to an album that showed detailed pics of the entire machine. I had no problem coming to a decision in knowing exactly what I was getting.

http://christopherhutchins.com/gallery/album459

#4267 9 years ago
Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

No one will probably ever take the kind of pics you are talking about though. Thats pretty freaking rare.

You are exactly right! I might have been expecting a little much. I'm sure it will look just fine.

#4321 9 years ago
Quoted from NathanP:

I was under the impression that the balance was due when the game ships.

I remember reading that the balance would be due a couple of weeks or maybe ten days or something like that before the game ships. But like so many threads or farts in the wind, that statement seems to have vanished. I can't find it. You might actually be getting your machine in couple of weeks. I believe they are getting ready to crank them out.

#4351 9 years ago

The e-mail I got said it's time to put up or shut up.

#4435 9 years ago

I hope that all the people out there that have been wanting but never being able to afford Breakshot will finally have a chance to own this wonderful game.

#4481 9 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

hahhaha. I kept thinking this...

Funny, I was thinking of this....
th-4-406.jpegth-4-406.jpeg

#4594 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I get people flaking on my translite pre-orders all the time,

th-413.jpegth-413.jpeg

#4628 9 years ago

Who needs coin mechs? Bill acceptors for these puppies!

#4630 9 years ago

That is like 20 minutes of work where I come from. My idea when playing pinball was always to try to spend at least as much time at the table as the time I spent earning the money to play the game.

#4635 9 years ago

My Big Hurt came with a bill acceptor and two coin mechanisms. lol...

#4696 9 years ago

After paying the balance on MMr, there won't be any coins left to put through the coin door. Non issue IMO. Will it come with a power cord?

#4700 9 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

You don't remove the power cord and replace it with your own as well?

No, I was thinking maybe it would be a nice touch to have the original one powder coated gold.

#4726 9 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

It's always the little details people notice.

One detail I always notice are the game manuals. Williams games came with a very nice set.. I like it when my machine comes with those.

#4729 9 years ago
Quoted from rad:

I like printed pin manuals, but online makes sense (to me).

Not me. Every machine should come with a manual. Half of the ones I have bought were missing theirs, so I bought originals off e-bay. Downloading, printing, and binding is too much effort for a person that is paying top dollar for a brand new machine. But maybe that's just me....

#4732 9 years ago

Maybe this machine will come with an i-pad.

#4770 9 years ago

Maybe throw some gummi candies in the coin box for good measure and people might forget about any shortcomings this machine may have.

1 week later
#4915 9 years ago

I'm sure many are still curious as to how the PPS logo will be integrated into the artwork.
146008.jpg146008.jpg

#4917 9 years ago

That too.

#4924 9 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

the pps logo is not on the artwork ... never said it would be ... that was just a branding thing in the early days.

But we had some fun with it, didn't we.

#4940 9 years ago

th-1-895.jpegth-1-895.jpeg

#4991 9 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

never said it

#4996 9 years ago

As long as he remembers WHAT he posts.

#5018 9 years ago
Quoted from chessiv:

Well, we are in Q3

Q3, Q2, who cares! It will definitely be delivered post haste. The deal breaker for me was waiting to see what the machine actually looks like. I kind of like the PPS logo.

#5082 9 years ago

Crash, you have a good point. And yes I cancelled partially because early on I was not getting solid answers to legitimate questions in regards to an item that was to be one of the highest priced pinball machines ever made. I foresaw issues like this coming. I decided to wait to see exactly what I would be getting, and the funny part is, I still haven't.

#5087 9 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

can we at least limit complaints about coin mechs to people who have bought the game?

Why? What about the people that may buy one later? This is an open forum isn't it?

#5090 9 years ago
Quoted from Ramjet:

You forsaw issues like a coin mech not being included and cancelled?

I foresaw corners being cut. Period.

#5092 9 years ago

$1000 says I did.

#5096 9 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Not sure I get the "funny part" part -- is PPS significantly off on their production/shipping estimates?

I haven't a clue about production. The funny part was after endless requests for high quallty pics and or vids of the finished product before being locked in, none materialized.

#5101 9 years ago
Quoted from Ed209:

They had multiple open houses to come play the machine. There was an entire thread of pics and hands on reviews.

That's great. I'm glad those that stayed in had a chance to check it out before making their decision. It was no where on display anywhere near where I live, and this is the thread I was following for updates. Never saw the other one.

#5105 9 years ago
Quoted from Bigboythursday:

Can you tell me the winning lottery numbers?

No, but I'm pretty good at picking Super Bowl winners. Get back to me in a few months.

#5122 9 years ago
Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

You and others are harping on a few dollar item. I'm pointing out I think it's silly to harp on such a small thing when PPS has offered a lot of cool things/choices that are much more expensive.

One few dollar item indicates to me that expense might have been spared elsewhere when building this machine as well. It was a bad choice not to spend a few dollars more and put the coin mechs in there from a PR standpoint IMO.

#5127 9 years ago

I look forward to dropping a couple of quarters in your machine Rick. I would love to play it. I guess that might make me one of your customers. Good luck with the rest!

#5131 9 years ago

Too many different countries and languages. Might create mfg issues. I would guess not.

#5143 9 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

and most often are not customers ...

I am a PPS customer, and I also purchase parts from BAA and have for several years. As an owner of several older Bally and Williams machines, sometimes I have no choice.

After you explained it a bit, it does sound like a hassle to make too many options on machines that are being shipped worldwide. Too much chance for error.

A reasonable solution IMO would be to include a PPS voucher for any parts that cannot be included with the machine when it ships.

Just a thought...

#5149 9 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

just stirring things ...

Just trying to help, man. In a calm way. I know you have 1000s of orders to fill, so I won't take up any more of your precious time.

#5171 9 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

So, PPS shelling out $20,000 over something that almost nobody except a few really loud people care about is a win/win?

My original idea was for vouchers to be offered to those that wanted the coin mechs without any extra out of pocket expense. Those that don't want them, don't need to use them.

Quoted from jalpert:

Exactly how does PPS win?

By ending this controversy and restoring customers faith that he is looking out for their best interests. I still don't know if the original MM came with these parts, but if it did that is one less expense for him.

#5315 9 years ago

Edit

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 225.00
Cabinet - Other
FlyLand Designs

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 44.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Decals
Creative Mods

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 130.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinwize.com

$ 12.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 129.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 16.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 35.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 9.95
Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

$ 64.99
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider o-din.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mmr-pps-and-overall-update-official-pps-oct-21-2013?tu=o-din and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.