(Topic ID: 67443)

MMR PPS and Overall Update - Official PPS (Oct 21, 2013)

By PPS

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 5,463 posts
  • 470 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by pmWolf
  • Topic is favorited by 98 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-77.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
pps.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Screenshot_2013-11-01-14-19-50.png
Screenshot_2013-09-14-17-45-13.png
yawn.jpg
Rick.jpg
42-3079-100.JPG
issue tissue.jpg
facepalmgroup.gif
elephant-in-the-room.jpg
math.gif
untitled.png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lowepg.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

#1761 10 years ago
Quoted from djb_rh:

But the fact is this...*no* company has proven they can make a better game than MM so far, and it seems like maybe none will.

This is purely your opinion. I would suggest that A LOT of recent pinheads would still pick SM or MET or ACDC or ST or even WoZ over a 15 yr old design....

Quoted from djb_rh:

So the *shame* of it will be if these remakes come out in line and do well enough at being a clone that they do continue to suck maybe $25M out of the hobby over 3-4 years. If that's enough to kill Stern (and it could be!), then that's a shame. You might say "but they didn't make good enough games!" But the reality is they do make some DAMNED FINE games even if they haven't beaten MM yet.
--Donnie

Sorry, i disagree with the entire zero-sum premise. But lets talk hypothetically that your overly simplistic theory is accurate:

If Stern can't make a game thats better and or more poplar than a 15-yr old retread then they don't DESERVE to be pettrified of JJP becoming really successful and building 3 or4 titles a year???? I think its the best thing for pinball since WMS folded (lol- even though I don't like WoZ).

You've got it backwards. 180-degrees out of phase on this.

#1811 10 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

obviously posting work in progress is not understood by some, so lesson learned.

lol.... thats what I was thinking...

perhaps they would have been better off releasing "sneak-peak" tiny SECTIONS of the playfiled layout and requiring people to puzzle it together over a 2 year period

#1891 10 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

There's a difference between discussion and just being an asshole.

On pinside?

I do find it comical that folks are complaining about this and/or comparing it to JJPs ponzi-finance-program.

It's not like they are asking for full payment before the design is even shown....

If anything, the nominal deposit simply acts as a bullshit-test to separate the tire kickers and those really ready to buy one. I'd love to see JJP use THIS model for TH and JJP3 and beyond....

Hopefully the conversation doesn't digress completely. I for one (though not an investor) am very interested in following the project. It's a title I'd love to own.

1 week later
#1932 10 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

i think it's ridiculous to be like "if it's done right, it's EASY! i'll show em how!" the devil is in the details and everything seems so much easier from miles away. i'm also a software engineer, and if there's one thing i've learned in this trade, it's never trust the guy who says it's easy.

Maybe. Except for one big difference:

He offered to help. That says a lot more than the 100 arm-chair quarterback tossing in their unqualified opinions.

2 weeks later
#2085 10 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

rescheduled to mon/tues ... busy and conflicting schedules ...

good luck this week!

#2093 10 years ago

Congrats on completing another key step!!

#2107 10 years ago
Quoted from viper001:

I am glad it passed the Roger test

yikes!?!?!

#2200 10 years ago

Maybe I'm just nostalgic, but:

When I wanted to buy my first pinball many years ago and then when I had it and needed help- RGP was a lifesaver.

I'm not sure if Id have even bought my first pin without that resource....

#2228 10 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

I think pinside has a circuit breaker for one EPIC announcement every few days

If that's true- we haven't reached the quota yet....

#2257 10 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

If you design with LEDs in mind, like AC/DC LE/Premium, then LED is preferred. I haven't been the biggest fan of LEDs in GI, but AC/DC changed my thinking there a bit. I've even come around to putting "retro" style LEDs into GI on some games and it's pretty nice.
LEDs are good for pinball, we just need to get used to it.

Agree 100%.

ACDC definitely shows that LEDs can be done "right" for new designs.

Also, if one is patient enough, leds can work very well in retrofit projects as well. I spent a lot of time in "trial and error" trying different styles and colors to get the right look when redoing an older pin. I suspect MMR will be doing even more homework on their selections prior to final design.

#2278 10 years ago
Quoted from PaulCoff:

This is (real) EPIC news!!!

Agreed. Epic update/development. Congrats!

1 week later
#2332 10 years ago
Quoted from NJGecko:

I'm going to play devils advocate and say that showing prototypes may not be a good move. If it's not finished you will be suject to nitpickers finding (or making up) faults, things that are less then perfect, things that you NEED to change before it goes out to production. Don't show something to the masses until it's finished.
Look at WoZ. It's been at shows for a while and how many times did they have to respond to a comment with "the finished games will have this completed" or things like that. Same with Predator. If you show something incomplete you will get roasted for everything not done yet. I for one would love to see MMR before it shows up at my doorstep, but not incomplete. If it's an early production model that's different, but not one that's incomplete.

Yes, but JJP also f'ed up royally by leaving many of these problem-prone prototypes out in the wild on location for many months after fixes/upgrades were made.

No reason to assume the same bone-headed mistakes would be made with MMr.

#2365 10 years ago
Quoted from viper001:

If I had the time I could copy/paste MANY quotes from MMr folks on this very thread that would infer they are not concerned about build quality

don't believe everything you read on the internet, kid....

#2471 10 years ago
Quoted from PappyBoyington:

Seems as though you are blowing off anybody who may have issues or concerns if they can't make a phone call. This is a forum and we all know the bad and good that can come of it. However my comment was based on this whole thread in general. Not a big deal and no I won't call you to discuss

So your concern is significant enough to trash them (with relative anonymity) on web, but NOT quite important enough to pick up the phone for real answers...... Mmmmmhmmm. Got it.

Btw, I'm sure others are equally "outraged" by Ricks willingness to answer questions/concerns head-on vs the crickets we here from other manufacturers..... Damn over-communicators!

#2485 10 years ago

Here's what I see:

Happy Hour started early somewhere....

Sorry, that was a bit difficult to read....

2 weeks later
#2697 10 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

Because the 'L" in "LE" stands for limited.

Hmmm. That explains a lot.

After reading Stern and JJP threads for the last year, I was beginning to think it was for "Lemming"

#2734 10 years ago
Quoted from vex:

this le garbage is getting old fast. one model, one price, just do it right and the sales will follow. who created this pretentious shit? and why perpetuate it? there are more le versions of games then standards in many titles.
Le's are for suckers

"LE is the new poo, so take a big whiff."

You're kidding yourself if you think it'll change anytime soon. Why? Not because of the manufacturers, but because of the fawning BUYERS tripping over each other to buy them (sometimes YEaRS before delivery). So "who created this pretentious shit"? We did.

You have all the powers:
Buy one..... Or not.

#2770 10 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

There's probably only REAL money to be made reproducing the Top Five games...unless you can come in under $5k.

I think your probably right....

I think TAF, for instance, and SS and maybe even FH are titles folks might have interest in a NIB re-make model for the right price, but perhaps less than $8K...

#2789 10 years ago
Quoted from Xerico:

AFM is popular due to the following factors

You nailed it!

Even though MM castle is a sexier toy, I enjoy playing AFM far more... the "pinball crack" comment is dead-on.

#2801 10 years ago
Quoted from yotaxi125:

hey guys,
Q2 is not that far off. when do y'all think they'll start shipping? early q2? late q2?

i think theres a chance the 1st MMr machine might get shipped before the last WOZCLE gets shipped....

-ish.

#2812 10 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

late q2 ... ish.
lol

Well played, sir.

#2837 10 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

I think Rick promised free pizza and beer at every show as well.
What a guy!

Will he be autographing translites as well?

#2843 10 years ago
Quoted from annointed:

Surprisingly firm

They're propped up on a table....

1 week later
#2949 10 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Have you tried the transparent rubbers?

Quoted from Pimp77:

Let's see some pics...

gl_atlas_foil_side.jpggl_atlas_foil_side.jpg

1 week later
#3092 10 years ago
Quoted from pinstor12:

Smart money waits for

Smart money probably doesn't buy pinball machines.... so who cares.

I plan to die with the most toys and the most fun, not the biggest pile of money

#3139 10 years ago

Hear that sucking sound?

That's the air whooshing out of the "Original MM" market....

Congrats PPS.... this thing looks like a winner!

#3279 10 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Jack? Is that you?

No... silly...

There wouldn't be so many words.. generally it would be a ambiguous facebook photo to answer a directly worded question...

3 weeks later
#3342 9 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

we will not be in Allentown,

Hard ot blame anyone for not wanting to go there....

It's too bad these shows aren't in nicer areas on the East Coast....

Allentown, PA? Ugh.... that place would have to get 100% nicer to even be considered the armpit of PA

#3350 9 years ago
Quoted from BestShot31:

Allentown would have been an excellent showcase for MMR during it's ramp up to production and launch.
PPS really couldn't afford not to have MMR at Allentown, even if it means a week of downtime,... was there an overlapping show? Especially in the NE? They would have sold a lot more units and gained much more buzz.

perhaps they are more focused on production than hype right now?

That sounds refreshing to me...

#3360 9 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

They should feel lucky they have a pinball show at all.

yeah, we ran a sales contest a few years back and first place was a week trip to Allentown....

2nd place was a 2-week trip....

#3368 9 years ago
Quoted from TaTa:

Aren't the Carolinas the armpit of the East Coast?

Id snap back at you, but then I saw you live in Philly.... wow.... sorry dude.... good luck.

#3376 9 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNavidad:

the Carolinas are more like the taint of the East Coast....

Bwahahahaa

Clearly you've never ventured outside the philly area.... and its a good thing- else you'd cry once you get back home.

I'd suggest you ask someone's opinion that has relocated from the Carolinas to Philly, but it's never occurred....

Ahhh, to each, his own.... guess it would be too crowded here if everyone had the same tastes...

carolina_beach.jpgcarolina_beach.jpg philly.jpgphilly.jpg
#3485 9 years ago

PPS should just ship sample trim pieces to the shows- that seems to be the only issue folks have with it

#3550 9 years ago

The snickering-immature-dirty-euphemish-loving-kid in me keeps chuckling when i read "the trim wont match the coin door" -

#3683 9 years ago

Maybe a "Brazilian Option"?

(ships with no trim)

#3779 9 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

wow... consider me shocked this thread hasn't blown up with the Stern manufacturing news.

<insert wise-ass comment about it being too bad they didn't contract the JJP "factory" to get this game out in a hurry>

I think this is pretty cool.

Does anyone recall the daily production output for Stern? I know the figure was shared in one of these threads....

#3812 9 years ago
Quoted from rommy:

it will definitely be a Stern product not a PPS or any other company, then the value of the original will bounce back for collectors.... Anyone can go see a Stern anytime, anywhere. Seeing a PPS or CGC MM was going to be more rare than a Stern. Now it's just another Stern.

Quoted from calvin12:

its kinda easy to be the most successful when you are the only one. When there were multiple companies they were not #1.

lol- you and Rommy are intellectual peas in a pod

non sequitur.jpgnon sequitur.jpg

1 week later
#3856 9 years ago
Quoted from PinballSTAR:

Yo... Since my name is being bantered about...

da7e807e855ef73724dcc86dc7264650.400x240x15.gifda7e807e855ef73724dcc86dc7264650.400x240x15.gif

angryvillagers_csancelled.jpgangryvillagers_csancelled.jpg

1 week later
#3923 9 years ago
Quoted from Iceman5000:

Stern has averaged 32 games per day for the last 18 months.

I wonder if there will still be people waiting on prepaid Woz'es when the last of the MMrLE's are cranked out....

I simply LOVE that they are leveraging Stern's factory to build these machines.... absolutely love it!

#3932 9 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Stern will likely knock out 1000 MMRs in 8 weeks if they want to do it in a somewhat concentrated effort. They already average around 20 to 40 games a day doing Stern games. The speed at which MMr is made likely depends on what Stern games need to be made as well as any problems that arise in the MMr manufacturing process or design of the game.

This sounds right....

Stern bangs out MMr in July/August.
Stern runs their next title Sept/Oct
Stern bangs out 1000 MBr's in Nov/Dec

and so on...

takes the heat off their release schedule, flattens out the peaks and valley between runs and keeps factory running at capacity....Win for PPS, Win for Stern, Win for pinheads.

If Jack didnt have an ego the size of Mt Everest., he'd be making a call to Gary to schedule TH exactly the same way.... too bad

1 week later
#4008 9 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

the pace that games will be made will make it difficult enough to sort out with the trim option.
rick

Yeehaw!

TILTed post. Sign in to be able to view TILTed posts.
#4062 9 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

Last I heard, games would be 2-3 weeks late getting started and they'd finish production 2-3 months sooner than expected. I don't know though, just repeating rumors.

"It's Not How You Start, But How You Finish"

I think the fact that Stern is assembling is a pretty big game-changer on how long it will take to fulfill orders.

Even if it takes then an extra MONTH to get started- they will be flying out the door compared to them being done inhouse.... Pretty much guaranteed there will be no threads needed here with folks lamenting their year+ wait and begging for crumbs of info on last units shipped....

2 weeks later
#4441 9 years ago
Quoted from bemmett:

Ya and they never e-mailed me about needing anything or a "here's the day to cancel" until the day it's due to tell me I can't get it. I had other things come up at this time not 4 months ago or 7 months ago, hope that's ok. So it's fair on their side but bad on mine? Sorry but there is 89 pages of posts here here and I can't keep up day to day when 59 of them are about trim color anyway. I don't really care I hope he honors a refund if I want it, if not I'll buy it and sell it. I have other obligations and MMR is not one right now unfortunately.

And now, we've seen everything.

PPS is criticized for KEEPING to a promised schedule/deadline.

Sigh.

#4570 9 years ago
Quoted from S37VEN:

JJP also said that the sooner you pay ..

Jack said "first to pay, first to pay?" - that sounds vaguely familiar.... Not sure where from....

Quoted from S37VEN:

I paid by wire today. ..

Seriously, I'm surprised anyone would make payment to JJP where there's no legal recourse (credit cards).

Good luck!

#4648 9 years ago

No coin mechs on a HUO machine????

Next your going to tell me it wont ship with any old cigar butts in the back of the cabinet!?!?!!? WTF.

Totally not authentic!!!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 44.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 24.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 130.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinwize.com

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 129.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.95
$ 225.00
Cabinet - Other
FlyLand Designs

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Decals
Creative Mods

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 64.99
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lowepg.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mmr-pps-and-overall-update-official-pps-oct-21-2013?tu=lowepg and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.