(Topic ID: 67443)

MMR PPS and Overall Update - Official PPS (Oct 21, 2013)

By PPS

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 5,463 posts
  • 470 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by pmWolf
  • Topic is favorited by 98 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-77.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
pps.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Screenshot_2013-11-01-14-19-50.png
Screenshot_2013-09-14-17-45-13.png
yawn.jpg
Rick.jpg
42-3079-100.JPG
issue tissue.jpg
facepalmgroup.gif
elephant-in-the-room.jpg
math.gif
untitled.png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jfh.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

#213 10 years ago

No way CC is remade before AFM or MB.

I doubt it is popular enough (without CCC guarantee) to remake before some other classic titles (like FH).

PPS hasn't even announced anything beyond MMR, but assume one per year and there's quite a way to go before a CC remake is even a remote possibility.

(If I had even imagined that CC code would/could have been completed, I would have bought one on closeout. But, like many, I was excited about Pinball 2000 and I only had $ to buy one or the other at the time.)

#236 10 years ago
Quoted from Jazman:

I think you're over-estimating the difficulty in making CCC the released version of CC (other than WMS not allowing it). The new manufacturer has access to the original source code for MM so they know what it is doing.

PPS has a license to the original code, but no license to improve or modify it to provide any function other than support hardware functional equalivalency to allow a remake to play the same as an original.

At Expo Rick pretty much shot down that any CC remake would support CCC. Someone may do it in the event that CC is remade, but it won't be PPS.

I'd like a CC or a remake myself someday, but can't fathom why CC would be done before AFM and/or MB.

#243 10 years ago
Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

I thought they couldn't do Monster Bash? I thought they could only re-make original themes?

I didn't hear anything at Expo that would lead me to that conclusion.

#394 10 years ago
Quoted from tmort:

Why not make more LE's if the demand is there?

Because then it wouldn't be limited.

#405 10 years ago
Quoted from TronGuy:

Again, I may not even be a buyer, but if guys are paying 8 grand for an LE, and guys who didn't get in early are paying 8grand for a std. What the hell is the difference if 1000 people send hate mail? I'd think the guys paying the same price for a seemingly lesser product and having to wait longer have the true gripe?

If you aren't even a buyer, why do you care? There are only 1000 LEs because that's what Rick and Matt decided there would be. If anyone thinks the SE is 'a lesser product' or not worth the price, they won't (or shouldn't) buy it.

What PPS is doing for the pinball community is wonderful. I'm getting really tired of reading posts complaining about what wasn't done rather than applauding what was done. You don't like that the game is $8k? Don't buy it. You really want an LE? Get on a wait list now or wait and buy an HUO one down the line.

#623 10 years ago

Please take the complaints and hijacks to some other thread.

This one is for PPS to provide info about the remake, not for people to rehash all the stuff in the other thirty gazillion MMR threads.

1 week later
#830 10 years ago
Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

That's awesome, a true HUO MM with one owner. Must be pretty rare these days.

Then that's two I know of.

#834 10 years ago

I'll bet mine has fewer plays on it ...

#838 10 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Checking Pinside FAQ's right now to see if wife jokes are allowed.
LTG : )

Q). What did the wife say to the husband who wanted both a WOZ and a Hobbit?

A) Fine, as long as I get to play them first and don't get Jersey Jacked by some guy named Lloyd.

#843 10 years ago

I added a smiley to my joke in response to an email. I have nothing but the utmost respect for Lloyd, in case anyone thought otherwise.

#954 10 years ago

In for Wizard Blocks kit, assuming you are allowed to "remake" a game that was never formally produced.

Also in for MB, BBB and AFM remakes - but I need a schedule so I can get my wife on board with the idea of another $20k+ for NIB pins.

#1127 10 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

This was asked a while back in another thread but I don't think I've seen it directly addressed:
"Will [MMr] be improved using full quality 44KHz sounds, music, and voices as seen on the original Williams website as sample downloads?"

I did the website and should still have all the sound files plus some that were never put up. But I'd be very surprised I have anything PPS doesn't.

4 weeks later
#1378 10 years ago
Quoted from Toasterdog:

This is blck chrome powdercoting. By the wy my letter "" does not work on this lptop. hh

Not the best exmple, but looks good to me.

Blckchromepowder.jpg 51 KB

Vanna, can I buy an "A" please?

2 months later
#2585 10 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

More perks to come if I have my way ...

To whomever is in charge - please give Rick his way.

Wait -- Rick is in charge .... Ah! More perks to come !!

#2595 10 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

A/R glass as an option would likely be about $175 +/-
rick

Or free on an LE?

2 weeks later
#2730 10 years ago

I am interested in remakes of AFM and a CCC compatible CC.

Don't care too much about matching numbers, because the number I picked for MMR really only has significance to me from an MM standpoint (97, the year of the original release), but I would much prefer to do away with plaque numbers after MMR (and WOZ/TH/STLE).

I think the whole LE thing has gotten a bit silly. If a manufacturer is going to make a "bling" or extra feature version for the home/collector market, fine. But don't have more than two models - one for a base/operator and one for a home user/collector.

2 months later
#3801 9 years ago
Quoted from srmonte:

So does anyone besides me think there is more behind all this?

Nope. Just common sense by both PPS and Stern. Win-Win for both parties.

1 week later
#3859 9 years ago

Well, that certainly puts this recent part of the thread in a entirely different light ...

#3892 9 years ago

Yeah, but with the original MM, you only get two trolls. With MMR, you get dozens ...

1 week later
#3929 9 years ago
Quoted from Chippewa-Pin:

I love the optimism as I'm in on MMR, but I can see the full 1,000 LEs taking until the end of the year. I hope I'm wrong, but I just think it'll take awhile to get the line humming along with enough parts. I'm a WOZ owner, so I'm OK with a little delay.

No way Stern would have agreed to the PPS deal if this were the case. Stern is probably going to skip the summer title to manufacturer MMR, but no way would they skip the fall title too.

1 week later
#3985 9 years ago

If I read the other thread correctly, the MMR LEs are also apparently coming with gift certificates to Taco Bell...

4 weeks later
#4502 9 years ago
Quoted from Fuse:

Hey guys no expert here, but I've heard a bit about the explicit call outs. Was this standard in the original and could be changed to "family" mode. Or am I dreaming this up. Basically will the mmr have this same option? Thanks

The original default was family mode. A subsequent revision added the explicit call out (I only remember one) and a setting for family mode.

#4619 9 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

we haven't had that many cancels with this 'hard deposit' thing, but I do agree with you as it is frustrating as we carry the overhead on the accounting, etc and the last day cancel to me is a bit strange

Not really. For me, it came down to the "warranty only for the original purchaser" policy. My brother decided he could just come play my Medieval instead of having his own and decided a few weeks ago he just didn't want to pony up the money.

I probably could have resold the game a few times (at cost), but every time the issue was warranty coverage. I waited until (almost) the last possible day to cancel and even volunteered to handle warranty clams to see if I could find someone interested in an MMR. Almost had a great local trade. But in the end, concern about warranty coverage and/or hassles derailed that too.

#4621 9 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Wasn't there going to be some extra LE perks?

Yup - invisible coin mechs.

#4623 9 years ago

Not having coin mechs in a brand new game is just wrong.

Either ship with Standard US mechs or at least give buyers the option (or "store credit") to have mechs shipped separately. I'm sure I can probably find some to put in the game, but I shouldn't have to.

1 week later
#4868 9 years ago
Quoted from mamemaster:

Will it come with pinballs?..... (sorry Rick- the thread was losing steam- please say no)......
lol.....

Why would it come with pinballs? Most of the sales will be to home collectors who are known for not using factory standard balls, so why ship them?

1 week later
#5037 9 years ago
Quoted from Skypilot:

.Post 5000, What do I win?

A couple of coin mechs ...

#5152 9 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

And what parts would 'those be' ... you know something I don't ... again, just stirring things ... I'm done on the topic on pinside, if someone wants to call me on the phone and have a long discussion on things. You have my cell #.
Rick

Seriously? He was clearly referring to the coin mechs and including a store credit that could be used to obtain the coin mechs (or presumably toward other parts). He wasn't "stirring" things at all - just making a reasonable and logical suggestion.

You don't seem to understand how (or why) the coin mech issue has so many people bothered. It's more to do with how (and when) it was communicated and the principle of it all. Your explanation of "it's too hard to deal with on the manufacturing line" is an insult to anyone who has ever dealt with the logistics of manufacturing - it's certainly no where near as hard to deal with as you make it out to be and to imply that it is difficult for Stern to do is just laughable.

Not including coin mechs on a MMR was either a cost reduction move or just poor planning. To try and portray it as anything else (as you have now done multiple times) is both disingenuous and insulting. It's unfortunate that you don't seem to think more highly of your customers or understand why some of them feel "nickle and dimed" over this.

PPS has handled this issue very poorly and you don't seem to care. That probably isn't going to hurt you in the long run, given your pretty much complete ownership of WMS pinball rights, but it certainly doesn't reflect well on you either. A lot of us are going to spend a lot of money making money for PPS - don't insult our intelligence or take advantage of our good will in the process.

#5165 9 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

Can't we at least wait for the games to come out before we make judgement about how Rick feel about his customers? We are (hopefully shortly) going to know exactly how he feels. This means nothing, the quality of the game is millions of times more important.

Of course the quality of the games is much more important. But think about it - if PPS isn't willing to deal with the softball issues it has generated to date, does that give you any warm fuzzys about how they would handle a defective run of PCB boards or whatever?

In many cases, perception is reality. PPS has shot themselves in the foot repeatedly on issues that could have been handled so much more professionally. For whatever reason, Rick seems to prefer doing everything he can to avoid taking responsibility for any of the issues or making anyone who asks reasonable (but difficult) questions seem like a loon. Each time, he digs in harder and deeper. I get that. I did that myself when I was young and thought my way was the best (and usually only) way.

It's an ego thing - those with an ego can never admit they didn't handle something properly. They see it as an issue of weakness, rather than a measure of strength. I was very successful in my career when I thought I knew it all, but became even more so when I realized I didn't. I hope Rick becomes more successful.

#5167 9 years ago
Quoted from hardware:

I'd be willing to bet the lack of a coin mech bothers more people than some think. Some people don't like to mix it up on forums.

Given the surprising number of PMs I've received this afternoon, I suspect you are absolutely correct.

#5185 9 years ago
Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

Why don't you guys create a separate "were enraged over the no coin mechs" so the discussion here can remain about updates and other things regarding MMR.

This is only tangentiality about coin mechs. The real issue is how PPS handles issues that may be seen as negative. That is just as important as any update regarding game production.

This site is full of similar posts concerning issues with Stern and JJP in threads dedicated to their games. Why should PPS issues be treated any differently?

#5197 9 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

I'm not sure if everyone read the part where I have deeply discounted mechs.

I did, as I suspect most others did. But offering deeply discounted mechs doesn't address the issue of how/when the announcement was made and ignores the fact that anyone paying $8k for a new pinball game shouldn't have to pay a penny more for coin mechs.

Quoted from PPS:

The decision was made by Chicago Gaming for the mechs, and that is the way it is.

Bullsh*t.

PPS contracted CG to make the machine, not the other way around. If you spec mechs, then mechs come with the game.

I really can't believe you are now trying to blame your contractor for your poor planning/mistake/cost cutting move/whatever it is.

Quoted from PPS:

We will have them (metal ones) pretty cheap. I can understand this is inconvenience for a few as we believe that this is a very small % of people who really will need them.

You know very well that's not the issue.

#5214 9 years ago
Quoted from Ed209:

Are people buying mods for their MMR yet? Tempted to order some but not sure if I would have compatibility issues. Really like the look of the lighting additions you can get for the castle and trolls.

You may want to wait to see how the mods would/could be powered. Physically, most, if not all, should fit.

#5277 9 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

e) CGC is the overall project 'owner' of the game - we are the licensee, and as such CGC has leeway to make decisions and we have a large degree of influence, there is nothing new to this. PPS is the 'face' for the pinball community because frankly while CGC is well known in gaming they are not 'in' the community and thus PPS (myself) provides the conduit for communication with the community. CGC is not a contractor, Stern in this case is a contractor (and important one). CGC is a partner and driving the bulk of the game development with our guidance.
f) As for questions about things - I am always ok to run them down (about manuals and such - which I'm pretty sure we are including a manual with an appexdix for MMR stuff). Alot of this requires me getting answers from CGC which sometimes especially now is a challenge as they are heavily working on what they need to do and often I have a hard time finding them.
For those that are very upset, we are sorry, but we have done things like extend the warranty, put double hard coat, finished the backbox trim, put a shaker in it, etc which did we felt were ways to differentiate the game. We did feel that the omission of coin mechs which can contribute to complicating the mfg (between two parties, not one, and then shipped to many resellers) was better than the crazy feedback if more production/coordination mistakes happened because of this additional element, which the goal is to try to reduce as much complexity as possible

Rick - thank you for your post, especially the portion quoted here. I know that I for one wouldn't have been upset (or as upset) if you had provided this level of detail earlier and if you are able/willing to do so in the future, I suspect a lot of the craziness disappears.

#5282 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Interesting. I didn't realize this. So CGC has final say. PPS has a large degree of influence.

I (obviously) didn't realize this either and it puts a number of things in new light.

Perhaps someone from CGC can be encouraged to participate here to offload some of the load from Rick. Surely a project of this size can afford someone to interface with a good portion of the primary customer base on a regular basis.

#5284 9 years ago
Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

Willing to bet they have zero interest in our feedback.

Maybe. But that would be short sighted.

When you are in the luxury market category (which is where I put $8k toys), it's a very smart thing to do. I've made suggestions to Lexus and Celebrity Cruises that I expected to end up in the bit bucket only to find out that they led to service changes. Those two brands pretty much have me as customers for good now.

This isn't exactly a business where it's easy to find new customers or replace lost ones.

#5304 9 years ago

steve-o, very glad to hear that you didn't pull the trigger at $18k or anywhere near that. I don't understand the frenzy that caused the pricing bubble for MM and some other titles (especially BBB). I understand supply/demand/etc., but the bubble of the last few years was way out of whack.

The obvious benefit of MMR is that many who had no reasonable hope of owning a MM now have a shot, but the biggest benefit to the hobby from the PPS remakes (and the Stern vault releases) is the likely permanent deflation of that bubble.

I'm sure there are some collectors that got burned by the bubble (I know a couple), but the true legacy of PPS/STIVE will be less about the games themselves and more about restoring order and normality to the pin market.

In the long run, this should benefit those that come out with pins that raise the bar (like AMH) as buyers can focus on substance and game play over hype.

#5312 9 years ago
Quoted from Jackontherocks:

Probably the team at Stern or anyone for the fact is still curious to know how a game from the past ( yes we know it's rated number one on most polls) can still generate this much interest versus a newer game being made today.

Actually, if you ask Gary, he would probably remind you that Stern is a manufacturing company that happens to design pinball machines rather than the other way around. His favorite pinball game is always whichever one is on the line.

Stern's interest in MMR is certainly more "how can it help the line keep running, keep people employed and revenue coming in" than "why is anyone interested in a game from the past?"

(And they know the answer to the last question anyway - look at the "Vault Edition" concept. Conceptually no different than what PPS is doing)

#5345 9 years ago
Quoted from thedarkknight77:

Rick, On behalf of the reasonable pinsiders, I would like to apologize. Keep up the good work and don't let these aholes get you down. Don't ever forget you are making dreams come true for many of us and we are deeply appreciative. These aholes will say it's not about the coin mechs and they are right it isn't, it's about them being aholes and the fact they were born that way........................I hope Stern announces KISS instead of TWD right after MMR is done, just to piss them off more.

Wow. You may not agree with people expressing their opinions, but to call anyone an ahole for doing so really takes the cake. I doubt that Rick welcomes your "endorsement".

Your post is the most despicable I've ever seen on Pinside. On behalf of reasonable Pinsiders, keep this kind of vitriol out of our forum.

#5348 9 years ago
Quoted from thedarkknight77:

Expressing ones opinion is one thing when it's a few individuals, but when 100 people say the same BS over and over, that is called attacking. I used the world "aholes" and yes, we have a lot of them on pinside.

So now you've appointed yourself the thought police. Your post went well beyond decency. Go back and read it again - you did a lot more than use the word "ahole".

As for numbers, if 100 people say the same thing, maybe there's an issue or two that needs to be addressed.

I question the judgement of anyone trying to defend your post (including you), so I'm not going to have any further discussion with anyone that tries.

#5408 9 years ago
Quoted from Eryeal:

Rick has responded to just about every other inquiry since that time, except everyone asking for a production update.

Or those wanting to know why if PPS thinks so few will be impacted by lack of coin mechs, why they don't just ship them free to those that want them.

Or those that ask a question he doesn't want to answer.

(Or, in other words, you have nailed the reason I started this thread - poor (or selective) communication).

#5422 9 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

Offer someone something for free, and just about everyone is going to want it.

Not sure offering something that everybody thought they already paid for anyway would count as offering something for free.

#5423 9 years ago

You are correct - I'm in the wrong thread. Sorry for the (my) confusion.

#5426 9 years ago

Obviously you didn't understand that your second quoted phrase implied "(only applies to confirmed original purchaser)

For someone that is usually smart and level headed, this thread sure seems to have knocked you off balance.

#5437 9 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

I read your quote as PPS should send coin mechs to people that want one. My only point was that if all purchasers are eligible for free coin mechs if they want them, everyone will want them. They are essentially supplying them to everyone.

Ah, I see. I would normally agree with that. However, if we take Rick at his word, PPS believes that very few care about having the mechs so it follows that not everyone would ask for them. And presumably only those that follow a Pinside would even know about the "free" offer, so you aren't dealing with 100% of owners.

We should move any follow up to the "PPS communication" thread and leave this one for others to speculate when MMR production starts and other game updates.

#5440 9 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

I think that people making up things and having many theories without any basis is interesting reading, but can push us in the same direction as other suppliers which is to stay quiet or operate on our own forum which is not something I want to do as I think pinside is probably the best place to interact

I don't think people are making things up (as a general statement). As for theories without basis, that's pretty much a result of your decision to stay quiet when you are (apparently) bothered by a question/topic.

You already "stay quiet" by ignoring reasonable questions/concerns. You can't "interact" if you only do so on the easy stuff.

mof said it perfectly in the thread I started about PPS communications:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pps-mmr-communication-its-not-about-the-missing-coin-mechs/page/14#postbox

"The bottom line is — running a small business is about setting customer expectations and meeting them, and it's about maintaining trust with your customer base. When you fail to meet expectations, how you respond to the situation defines you as a businessman. It's not about being perfect. When expectations aren't met, if communication and action are delayed or missing, trust is appropriately brought into question.

We've observed vendors on Pinside (including PPS) deal with bumps in the road and overcome them with prompt communication and action. From what I've observed, many people were hoping for a high level of communication and responsibility regarding this issue to match the faith they demonstrated to PPS in a 3-hour sellout of the product offered. The customer base demonstrated a truly remarkable level of faith and trust up front in being delivered an excellent product. I presume PPS earned that trust with their previous track record with the customer base. I imagine that anything less than an excellent performance on the delivery side will meet quick scrutiny."

(And, AFAIK, no one, myself included, got an answer to why, if not shipping mechs with MMR is only an issue for a small fraction of orders, why not just ship them to those it is an issue for?).

#5447 9 years ago

Now maybe people will understand why I opened the other thread (which I asked to be closed because I thought it had run its' course (and I was pretty sure you were not going to try and have a reasonable discussion about the issues).

My mother taught me never to take my marbles and go home when I was upset. Sorry you thought doing so was the best way to handle constructive critism.

(And NO ONE, especially me, said or believes this was easy. We all know there are reasons for the way things are, but it's hard for those on the outside to understand them when you don't answer questions about them).

Looking forward to a successful MMR rollout. Sorry to see this thread end on such a disappointing note.

#5449 9 years ago
Quoted from chuck1972:

JFH, you were complaining about communication?.....well, you just ruined the best communication tool we had with the only manufacturer that was giving us updates via Pinside....

Effective communication is a two-way street.

I didn't "ruin" anything. Rick just showed everyone he has no interest in having two-way dialogs with his most energized customer base. To me, that is mind boggling, but that's his right. It's also a very convenient way from taking responsibility or answering questions without being dismissive.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 225.00
Cabinet - Other
FlyLand Designs

$ 35.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 24.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 16.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 44.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 64.99
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 129.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 12.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Decals
Creative Mods

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jfh.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mmr-pps-and-overall-update-official-pps-oct-21-2013?tu=jfh and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.