(Topic ID: 67443)

MMR PPS and Overall Update - Official PPS (Oct 21, 2013)

By PPS

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 5,463 posts
  • 470 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by pmWolf
  • Topic is favorited by 98 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-77.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
pps.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Screenshot_2013-11-01-14-19-50.png
Screenshot_2013-09-14-17-45-13.png
yawn.jpg
Rick.jpg
42-3079-100.JPG
issue tissue.jpg
facepalmgroup.gif
elephant-in-the-room.jpg
math.gif
untitled.png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gstellenberg.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

#1921 10 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

It's a lot harder and more complicated than you think.

It's really not hard or complicated, though there are a lot of details to think through. If the system is architected well, it can likely achieve a result that has no perceptible differences from the original and be implemented without touching a single piece of original code. If it's architected poorly, then certain challenges can't be overcome.

I have no knowledge of the particular implementation used in MMR, nor of the team that's developing it. I am, however, willing to help out if the need arises.

- Gerry

#1925 10 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

i think it's ridiculous to be like "if it's done right, it's EASY! i'll show em how!" the devil is in the details and everything seems so much easier from miles away. i'm also a software engineer, and if there's one thing i've learned in this trade, it's never trust the guy who says it's easy.

Having run original code on multiple WPC and WPC-95 machines, including MM, using a new hardware platform and an emulated software environment, I think I'm in a unique position to speak on this topic with some authority.

While developing pinMAME support for our P-ROC board, I tested the system running on an MM, AFM, ToM, JD, and LoTR (Stern Whitestar). Since then, many of our customers have successfully run emulated environments on numerous other machines.

We've also had a number of people work with us on researching the viability of rewiring an existing game with our PDB driver boards and using the P-ROC and PinMAME to play the original code. I assure you that most games can be made to work glitch-free without complicated enhancements to the emulation environment, and possibly without any enhancements at all (depending on the game). MM and AFM have no features that present difficult emulation challenges.

I don't want to derail this thread any more than this topic already has. Please contact me privately if you'd like to discuss any of this in more detail.

I respect Rick's efforts on this project and wish him and his team success. People have been wanting MM remakes for a long time now, and I'm happy to see it finally happening.

- Gerry
http://www.pinballcontrollers.com

6 months later
#4204 9 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

The testing house I believe does UL/CE testing - cannot export without CE and so they are similar types of testing packages is my understanding. Additionally there are various locales in the US (so I'm told) which require testing by recognized entity, etc. Anyways, I'm sure a number of boutiques are choosing to be ignorant, which may create issues down the road at the hardest time when money is on the line and games are being built

I can't speak for all of the 'boutique companies', but many of our P-ROC customers are at least having the dialogue and asking the right questions. Instead of assuming they are or aren't testing, I'd encourage interested consumers to ask them directly.

I can speak for us (Multimorphic), and the P3 will be thoroughly tested and certified.

There are many people who specialize in compliance-related areas and understand all of the ins and outs of the certification processes and requirements. I worked with one while doing hardware design at a couple of my previous jobs, and we have been consulting with one since before we started the company.

- Gerry
http://www.pinballcontrollers.com
http://www.multimorphic.com

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 16.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 129.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

$ 24.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 9.95
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 225.00
Cabinet - Other
FlyLand Designs

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 64.99
$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 44.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gstellenberg.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mmr-pps-and-overall-update-official-pps-oct-21-2013?tu=gstellenberg and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.