(Topic ID: 67443)

MMR PPS and Overall Update - Official PPS (Oct 21, 2013)

By PPS

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 5,463 posts
  • 470 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by pmWolf
  • Topic is favorited by 98 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-77.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
pps.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Screenshot_2013-11-01-14-19-50.png
Screenshot_2013-09-14-17-45-13.png
yawn.jpg
Rick.jpg
42-3079-100.JPG
issue tissue.jpg
facepalmgroup.gif
elephant-in-the-room.jpg
math.gif
untitled.png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider frax.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

#12 10 years ago

Great, now if Jack would just get their stuff going and confirm my deposit......that I mailed on saturday....after giving them my debit card number online... =|

#24 10 years ago
Quoted from playernumber4:

They are working their way through it. I just got my confirmation of receiving the check and for the LE gold game.

Yeah, and I know I sound grumpy and bitchy in my posts, but I'm really excited about the whole prospect. It's just frustrating to know how early I got in, and now I see people with orders way later than mine getting their actual confirmations, choice of trim, picking their LE numbers, etc...

I know the post office doesn't hand them a stack of mail saying "Oh this guy sent his first, this guy sent his 5 minutes later" etc LOL... I'm just hoping their mail wasn't handed to them in a big ol alphabatized stack or I'm screwed LOL.

#29 10 years ago
Quoted from ulmpharmd:

Will the LE version be able to have the gold/brass wire ramps to match the trim?

+1 on this....

#275 10 years ago

Yeah, I've had bad experience with parts of BAA before, but this thread is full of epic win in terms of communication as far as I'm concerned.

#311 10 years ago

Yeah. If you guys look at what 60-in-1 boards have been doing with FPGAs on the arcade side, you can really see just how advanced some of this stuff has become. Specifically, the ArcadeSD board is just ridiculous in terms of emulation of hardware. Emulating the CPU and ASIC should be pretty easy. The biggest worry I have as far as any "emulation" goes is the sound board. Hopefully it's dead on, but Rick keeps saying it will sound BETTER...so we'll see about that.

#422 10 years ago

WAIT WAIT WAIT A SEC HERE....

So you're bitching about paying 8k for the same thing, but yet WoZ owners got LE's for 1500$ ***LESS*** than you're going to pay for a WOZ STANDARD or a HOBBIT, and you're completely okay buying that?! Yeah, that makes sense!

#423 10 years ago

PinballInc - aka James - seems to be doing a great effort at CYA, though I'm not sure why unless he's a buyer on this as well.

If they don't fit...great? You can make some new molds with minor tweaks and gain a ton of new customers. If they DO fit...great? You just got a ton of new potential customers for free? Your only culpability seems to be to label the current ramps as "MAY NOT FIT REPRO MM UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE" until you get a chance to find out... easy enough...

#455 10 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

I've heard that a couple times today. Sounds like distributors are pulling the plug on some deadbeat and duplicate pre-orders. congrats!

LOL. So first KC apparently made a post that got him a ton of thumbs down, now he's thumbs-downing a totally innocuous statement like this...

u mad, bro?

#462 10 years ago
Quoted from Kcpinballfan:

Naw man just spreading the love to someone that has thumbs down every post of mine. I deleted those posts to step back and not get in a pissing match or piss in the cheerios of the people that have ordered one.

Fair enough, I can respect that decision. But I still find what you said earlier kind of absurd. Order the game you like the most and be done with it. I'm sure that WOZ is awesome, we know most people think that MM is awesome, and Hobbit will probably be awesome too. My wife is one of those that would probably not be in for a MM if we didn't get the LE, which I think is absurd...it's her grail game but she's gonna be out over a plaque, trim, and a shaker motor (WHEN WE HAVE AN EXTRA UNUSED SHAKER MOTOR SITTING IN OUR PARTS DRAWERS.....)? Really? Should've seen the look I gave her. lol.

#515 10 years ago

Replacing a single component with a chisel tip soldering iron is NOT that big of a deal...

#573 10 years ago

Rick, were distributors given a block of "numbers" out of the pool of 1000 for their customers to potentially choose from or is that just a free for all? I have a friend reporting that through you guys the fee was 100 bucks to pick a number. I was told it was 250 through my distrib of choice, but when I told them I'd rather not pay that much and just get whatever number they want to assign me, I was told it was you guys collecting the money. It's just kind of an odd situation and I want to make sure that in the end I get a "random" or whatever sequential number I'm assigned, not be paying 250 bucks for a stupid number on a plate...

#588 10 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

PPS (with the mfg agreement) charge a fee to the distributor and the distributor (including PPS) can charge more or less - however they wish.

That's nice, but 250$ for a wierd number like '102' is a little ludicrous IMO. I don't know if that price came down from you guys to the distrib or what, but just wanted to throw that out there. At this point, I just want to make sure that I'm not going to be on the hook for this ridiculous fee.... if it was 100 bucks, I'd pay it, but 250 just to say "Okay, here's Frax's game ready to go out the door....glue this plaque on the speaker box." is kind of silly. I don't think that's creating an additional 10 extra hours of work at $25/hour (which we know factory workers aren't gettting paid..) to do it, or to manage a spreadsheet. I resign myself to a random number...that money is much better spent on things like Cliffys and plastics protectors..

#593 10 years ago

Okay, so assume the boards turn out to be crap. Nothing preventing someone from sourcing the boardset and installing it instead of the remake boards, installing lamp sockets along the way, a plasma or colorDMD, creating a wire harness, and installing cable holders.

You'd still make out with an effectively NIB MM for thousands less than what prices have been recently.

#605 10 years ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

For 8 grand, they better not be crap.

I'm not worried about it, I'm JUST SAYING...if someone WANTED TO..... =P

#621 10 years ago
Quoted from viper001:

But what you rattled off there to convert from the PPS proprietary boardset model back to the WMS designed boards would be beyond the abilities of 99.9% of the people that will be buying these games. And I will say that the cost to source all the parts to do it would easily bring the overall cost of ownership on these games into the realm of a nice original if that did become a necessity.

How is any of that my problem? I said it was POSSIBLE. Not that it was EASY. I'm capable of it. I've been in the hobby 2.5 years with no prior soldering, electronics, or crimping knowledge or skills at all. Will I personally do it? I very seriously doubt it.

If you have 8k to buy one of these, you certainly have the MONEY to buy the tools to learn all of this. And unless you've got 8k to drop on something like this in the first place, it's a safe bet to say that you could probably spend the time to learn it...if you wanted to. Laziness isn't really an applicable excuse here.

Gonna drop back to just monitoring the thread now, there's still one legitimate question that I haven't seen answered yet, and I was trying to not contribute to cluttering the thread any more. Clearly I failed.

#790 10 years ago
Quoted from turbo20lbs:

Getting pics of this thing is like pulling teeth

Where's the video of the laser projector? It's not like it's ANY different with any other company.

I'd still like to know about the question that was asked earlier about the refundable period...are we going to see concrete stuff after it's approved but before it becomes non-refundable? Will there be any kind of "grace period" so to speak?

*edit* Why can't the gold trim be plated, then a clear powder put on it for protection?

#796 10 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

This was addressed above:
"Deposit is refundable before WMS Approval (moving us into production) on the game - this was stated to be expected by end of the year, hopefully sooner - production wants/needs to know 'firm' orders to know how many to produce. We will give notice that this happened and then I expect we expect to have any cancellations within a small number of days which we will specify."

Okay, thanks. Guess I missed the second part of that. Thumbs up for slapping me around.

#965 10 years ago

So.....is that really one HUGE green PCB in the center of the playfield, with two holes in it for the troll mechs? That looks like it would be a total PITA (and expensive) to replace instead of repair one SMT LED.....

The three driver boards are much smaller than expected, and look to be VERY modular... that's a good part at least!

#1031 10 years ago
Quoted from herg:

Drop the troll mechs, remove the driver PCBs, disconnect the cables, and unscrew the HUGE board. It doesn't seem all that bad to me. If you want to replace the SMT LED, you still can, though, it will take a bit more work than if those small, single LED board were sprinkled around everywhere.
Also, I just ran a quote (as a hypothetical) for a 16" x 30" two layer PCB with cutouts for the trolls, and it came to $41 each in quantity 100. That's without parts obviously. Compare that to the parts and labor for a bunch of wires, and I'm pretty sure this approach is less expensive.

I'm not worried about their parts and labor, I'm worried about how easy it's going to be to fracture a trace when that mofo flexes on accident when we're removing it to clean inserts or replace a popped LED. Granted, as few traces as there actually appear to be in that board, toning it out will be simple and so will be running a jumper, but then we're right back to wires aren't we.

#1065 10 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

How often do you have to fix a trace on the giant light board under AFM?
I've reflowed maybe 2 headers in my entire life.

I'll let you know when I get an AFM.

1 week later
#1228 10 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

(people are already asking for delayed ship times)

Well crap, had I known THAT was an option, I would've requested to delay my LE to next december instead of taking out my deposit.

1 month later
#1975 10 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

The original PCM wasn't very large either. In the end it will be all about the driver boards.

Which are much smaller than a standard driver board AND broken up into several smaller boards for easier servicing. I really can't say enough how much I wish I could've stayed in on the LE for this... just couldn't make the finances work. Looking foward to owning a standard in the future.

1 month later
#2488 10 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

btw ... i had 2 calls today per my previous Maytag post!!!! Thanks for great questions and conversations and I hope I answered all questions you had ... refreshingly positive ... I still am waiting for the ones with great concerns to call me though ...

I thought about calling just to shoot the breeze, FWIW. LOL.

Actually, I may call you, because I'm wondering about a non-MM part that colors do not *appear* to be accurate on the PPS/BAA site..

2 weeks later
#2699 10 years ago
Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

Excellent idea. I think that would be fantastic, of course the people who didn't get the LE will probably feel the opposite.

You think?

I think limiting sales to current LE owners only is pretty stupid. If you want to give them first dibs on numbers...okay, sure. Don't have an issue with that *at all*, especially since when I inquired about holding a number they wanted like 200 bucks to do it, which means I wouldn't care about the number in the first place. But denying people the chance to buy in early to get the upgrades, or the option of spending more money? Come on...really?

What are you going to do if you get to #3 or #4 and the guys that bought MMR aren't interested in that title? Just say "Oh well, guess we're making 15 LE's!"?

#2704 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

"Oh wait, that's right LEs are dumb, let's just build games!"

I'm okay with that, as long as they don't announce a LE version then change their mind before production starts, or because a bunch of people are pissing and moaning that they're paying the same for the standard because they didn't get in on the LE.

By all means, standards only and save me a few bucks and give me a better chance to own these games.

#2715 10 years ago
Quoted from viper001:

Where has there ever been a statement made that standards would save anyone any money? The precedent has been set that folks will pay the same $$ for the standard, where would be his incentive to lower the price on future titles?

I'm sorry, is this a JJP discussion thread? Or did we get lost somewhere?

The incentive is to sell more games.

4 months later
#4864 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Even better, there's a new feature. See the ¶ up next to the Quote link? Click that and the thread will only show posts from that person. So just find a PPS post, click that button, and you can read nothing but Rick replies for the entire thread.

That's called a Rickroll.

2 weeks later
#5308 9 years ago
Quoted from flipnout1:

Maybe this will help put the no coin mech to bed. Buy a MMR LE from me and I'll give you two free coin mechs.
Yes I have one available.
[email protected]
authorized PPS reseller

Brilliant move, sir.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 16.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 130.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinwize.com

$ 9.95
$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 44.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 129.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 64.99
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Decals
Creative Mods

$ 24.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 225.00
Cabinet - Other
FlyLand Designs

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider frax.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mmr-pps-and-overall-update-official-pps-oct-21-2013?tu=frax and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.