(Topic ID: 67443)

MMR PPS and Overall Update - Official PPS (Oct 21, 2013)

By PPS

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 5,463 posts
  • 470 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by pmWolf
  • Topic is favorited by 98 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-77.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
pps.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Screenshot_2013-11-01-14-19-50.png
Screenshot_2013-09-14-17-45-13.png
yawn.jpg
Rick.jpg
42-3079-100.JPG
issue tissue.jpg
facepalmgroup.gif
elephant-in-the-room.jpg
math.gif
untitled.png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider baiter.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

#714 10 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

8,000 points for me is like 0.7 round trip tickets! That's worth about $135 to me.

Unfortunately that 1% you get back means another 2% into the credit card coffers from overall fees, which comes out of the retailer's pockets, which actually decreases the overall value of your dollar to 97%. Welcome to support of the machine.

1 week later
#926 10 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

Also, I think everyone knows that the display is LCD vs LED ... it is designed to ultimately support both, but obviously you can move from monochrome to full colorized with LCD, which is planned likely after release ...

That's good news!

#1147 10 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

The original sound I believe will be improved upon what exists, technically I'm not sure exactly the specifics, but there is an effort to get a better quality out. There are some IP assets that we have that help with that and they are being looked at by Chicago Gaming ...

Value add items like this will make a huge difference to buyers, especially if they are debating between an original and the new.

2 months later
#2192 10 years ago

If MM were made today for the first time, it would use LEDs, and the inserts would be the same size and color.

As many have mentioned the main gripe about LEDs is the brightness. Some like it bright, others not. Equivalent incandescent brightness is a single mini SMD, but most people are throwing in super SMDs @2.5x brightness into every insert/GI. LED OCD is an implementation that allows users to adjust the brightness of every insert to their taste... one would find it ideal to have that in a new game but to date LED OCD is the most advanced LED lighting controller for pinball, and no new game offers that flexibility. Maybe some day.

1 month later
#2717 10 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

My point is, it could lead to nothing but a cluster f. If Rick doesn't mind dealing with said cluster f and he makes some additional money by doing this, more power to him. Same goes for the LE's and all the trim options.

I don't think the number thing has anything to do with income to PPS from the number itself, it's about trying to earn customer loyalty by doing all the little things that make people feel special. Why do full service restaurants exist? Customers are perfectly capable of ordering food at a counter and bringing it to their table... and wait staff are hardly paid well for the effort to do so, but customers obviously appreciate that extra attention.

For me the LE thing is an unfortunate segmentation of what would otherwise be a unified game experience, yet one can't overlook the amount of "sight unseen" purchases it brings in, and trophy-like treatment these games are given by the customers who get one. This, of course, ignores the fact that in the end, all pinball machines have limited runs, and in the case of Stern (and I predict, PPS), ironically there seems to more LE models manufactured than Pro models.

#2741 10 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

it's a good thing we don't do things only if the majority of pinsiders agree as there would be very little to do ... lol

You've got the idea. A single vision tends to be more cohesive than majority-based opinions.

2 weeks later
#2852 10 years ago

"He chose... poorly." You mean this grail?

grail.jpggrail.jpg
2 weeks later
#3104 10 years ago

The LEDs look good, but they appear to have the quick LED on/off cycle rather than emulating the incandescent fade like the LED OCD board, but I don't get the impression this can be remedied in this game with an after-market board.

I originally imagined the brass trim to match the brass ramps as was done with LOTR LE, but gold powder-coat doesn't match anything on the game or cabinet. As to whether or not brass matches the yellow of the cabinet, I'd assume it would match at least as well as the original stainless does, right? I wasn't fond of black before, but if there are no chrome or brass options then a smooth black powder coat would at least look better than powder coat gold. I really hope any powder coat is made more durable than what Stern has been putting on their LE/Premium games.

#3140 10 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

Congrats PPS.... this thing looks like a winner!

I was expecting to hear a lot more comments about how "this doesn't feel original" and "that doesn't look original" but the reaction so far looks to be summed up as "this looks and feels like a restored MM with nicely done LEDs though slightly weak flippers."

1 month later
#3463 9 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Woo. The incandescent emulation looks fantastic. Hallelujah!

Agreed!

Quoted from jasonpaulbauer:

I was hoping for a black metallic.... something like Pristmatic's Lazer Black
http://www.prismaticpowders.com/gallery/detail/4702/Prismatic-Lazer-Black/
Thats a finish that I feel is fitting of an LE. Something that will really pop. Similar to the Transformers LE colors or the Blue Avengers LE. Some sparkle with the color.

This is my exact thought as well, in fact I was looking at the same swatches before I saw your post because I was hoping/expecting for powder coat quality of WOZECLE. Here is another powder-coat black that is smooth but seems relatively smudge-proof... though I couldn't quite find one with gold flecks

http://www.prismaticpowders.com/gallery/detail/4741/Prismatic-Black-Metallic/

While it's very difficult to tell from online pics is the gold trim on MMr like this? It does not look mustard colored:

http://www.prismaticpowders.com/gallery/detail/3582/Prismatic-Prismatic-Gold-with-Clear-Vision-top-coat/

#3500 9 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

texture on the trim is important as otherwise the most simple scratch will be a return ... and would not surprise me if in one or more cases the customer would demand exchange of the game ... if it's smooth finish, would show up any metal imperfections, which would then generate more ... there are many many considerations. I will see about getting a gloss black version to see how that is.
rick

This is a valid concern but look at it this way, Stern feels comfortable using single-coat glossy powder coat in their Premium and LE games. Yes they can scratch if not careful (I have a Stern that came directly from the factory scratched under the lock-bar), but as has been testified to on Pinside if the powder coat was higher quality, thicker/multi-stage/cleared that issue tends to go away. In other words if Stern isn't worried about returns with their thin powder coat, should it be a concern to you if you know your powder coating is a higher quality?

1 week later
#3697 9 years ago
Quoted from Manic:

I think these picks show why Rick said shiny gold (brass) doesn't work with MM. It *sorta* works with TOM because of the fake brass/gold painted on the cab but against the dark blue MM cab it *really* clashes... to me anyways.

The brass is a better match to the playfield (brass ramps) than the cabinet, but blue and orange/gold are classic complimentary colors and the orange and yellow on the cabinet are the closest color match to metallic brass. Silver matches the grey castle and grey playfield art. Black clashes with nothing. Choices are good.

#3800 9 years ago
Quoted from srmonte:

So does anyone besides me think there is more behind all this?

Or it could be simple: There are only two companies with a pinball assembly line. Thew "new guy" has shown that is far from easy to ramp up after years and $millions, and the "established guy" regularly goes through layoffs in-between runs, so PPS decides to avoid the uncertainty involved in building their own manufacturing plant, making a deal with "the established" manufacturer to fill gaps in their down time. Seems like a win-win for all involved.

1 week later
#3829 9 years ago
Quoted from yonizzell:

My distributor says that once he took my deposit, it was locked in, with no refunds. It might be different when you order direct from PPS, but it is what it is I guess.

That contradicts PPS original deposit policy. If you really want it back I would recommend contacting PPS about this distributor.

1 month later
#4189 9 years ago

Most of us have seen the other trim options on this or other games in person, but the powder-coat gold is unique, and IMO a bit of a gamble as it is still really tough to judge from a low-res pic of the front of the game. Hopefully it works out for everyone... it looks like it will.

#4286 9 years ago
Quoted from Craig:

I thought the trim was going to be a much easier decision. I am still on the fence. Hmmm....

I agree... brass/chrome would be a no brainer, but the rest are a coin flip, which is why everyone is divided. It means people are happier with options than without.

1 week later
#4748 9 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

Did you get this worked up when Stern started leaving off the playfield support rails on their games, and replacing them with those useless pegs? Just wonderin'.

"Useless" is the correct term for that cost cutting measure.

#4757 9 years ago
Quoted from taz:

"What is everyone bitching about now?" That's what crosses my mind every time I log into Pinside after a day and see 30+ posts here. What is it this time? Weak castle destruction sequence, LEDs can't be easily changed, no Williams logo, decals instead of screening, trim color options not good enough, no coin mechs, etc. Boo, hoo, hoo, as the Grinch would say!

This is all true, but everything you mention is discussion over deviations from a true reproduction. If that isn't plausible discussion on an MM-Reproduction, what is?

#4871 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Even better, there's a new feature. See the ¶ up next to the Quote link? Click that and the thread will only show posts from that person. So just find a PPS post, click that button, and you can read nothing but Rick replies for the entire thread.

Very cool feature, thanks for mentioning. Unfortunately the forum has a bug and only displays the first page of rick's posts, as going to page 2 removes the PPS filter. Maybe that'll be fixed soon.

1 week later
#5137 9 years ago
Quoted from RustyLizard:

This allows every used MMR to ever hit the market to be advertised as HUO because we don't get enough of that now.

That or more commonly, fully restored. Now the market will be flooded with NIB MM's... oh the tragedy!

#5206 9 years ago

The last few pages of this thread leave me utterly speechless, not for lack of trying, I just don't think it is possible to offer anything constructive on either side of the argument.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 44.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Decals
Creative Mods

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 129.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 35.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 24.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 225.00
Cabinet - Other
FlyLand Designs

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 9.95
$ 130.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinwize.com

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider baiter.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mmr-pps-and-overall-update-official-pps-oct-21-2013?tu=baiter and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.