(Topic ID: 67443)

MMR PPS and Overall Update - Official PPS (Oct 21, 2013)

By PPS

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 5,463 posts
  • 470 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by pmWolf
  • Topic is favorited by 98 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-77.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
pps.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Screenshot_2013-11-01-14-19-50.png
Screenshot_2013-09-14-17-45-13.png
yawn.jpg
Rick.jpg
42-3079-100.JPG
issue tissue.jpg
facepalmgroup.gif
elephant-in-the-room.jpg
math.gif
untitled.png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Hobbypinball.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

#1458 10 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

That's what I have been thinking ever since I have been seeing the wave of drop outs over the past month. I predict there will be a strong surge of drop offs right when they announce the end of the cancellation dead line. I’m betting strong enough that it will backfill the remaining standards with LE orders. I think at 1k LEs the demand will be filled for new MMs at that price point. You have to consider the 4600 classic models already out there. I also predict they won’t sell too many standards at 8k. That's why there is a risk to not staying on for an LE and waiting for a standard, which may never come. The only wildcard there is if they drop the price of the standard to 7k or less, then the pipe of orders will fill back up but, the risk there is that if there isn’t enough premium features on the LEs over the standard, they will piss off LE buyers with the large price reduction. So I’m back to saying I have my doubts on the standard model.

Maybe. But if the standards don't sell don't expect a price drop. They'll just move to the next game title and charge 8k for an Le version. Or at least try to. I'm interested to know if Williams would need to sign off on each title. Economies of scale. If they can produce the cabinets and boards en mass and they don't need to get Williams to sign off on each title means they only need focus on the play fields with components and cabinet art. That would need a limited buy Inn order of about 1000. That would be no different than how play field runs and repro for plastics and parts are currently done. If each title is going to be a net new project with Williams approval means it's gonna be much longer between games and all games will be 7k+

#1529 10 years ago
Quoted from Monster_Bash:

Call me crazy...but with the current configuration (driver board on the bottom of the PF and a single board 'cpu' in the head) I'm thinking playfield 'kits' could be made available and swapped out pretty easy to change games.
Rick..is this the reason the game was designed this way?

Plays to my previous question. Is Williams stamp of approval for MM only or is there something greater in the works here?

#1611 10 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

Why do you think PPS is not innovating? They have redesigned the whole board set forR from that of the original, one of the things MM owners like to point out as negative. Who knows, Stern and JJP may choose to mimic this design if it turns out to be a success.

And I'm still curious if Williams approval is for mmr only or if it's broader. As the previous poster noted too, the current design could mean a game swap for these machines could be a play field swap similar to pin 2000. I'd love to have a mint MB, AFM, MM, CC, Totan....you get the idea. Failing having full machines I'd settle for 2 cabinets with my favorite art on the outside and 6 play fields of specific games. That would mean I could have a B/W collection (maybe at less than 8k per game if the play fields are half of cost of a complete unit) AND still have room for a stern and a jjp or two. Win for all and likely wishful thinking.

#1760 10 years ago
Quoted from jints56:

Looks great and can't wait. How do replace bulbs/lights on this new setup if one goes bad? Just curious...

The leds themselves are not likely to fail. The components driving them would be the failure in my completely uneducated guess. Anyone else? I'm still in on one of these by the way. That big board on the bottom is definitely new territory though.

2 months later
#2723 10 years ago
Quoted from dendoc:

How about a reasonable priced second pin, standard edition. Some people have more money to burn than others, so they can ring Rick with any special requests e.g. gold trim, triple clear coat, numbered plaques, whatever. He gives them a quote for their "individual" LE, and they decide how much they want this.
Gary Stern was saying Aaron Spellings wife wanted a LE pinball for him only, and paid $250K for it, a one off. For us mortals, $6-7K for a machine is fine without waiting for more "elite"machines.
Disclaimer - i have a MMrLE ordered, but one LE will do me.

I still like the pin2k concept to keep costs and space requirements down. If PPS incorporated that into their design would be bomb. Nice MMr cabinet with 4 or 5 repro play fields/games at half the cost.

#2745 10 years ago
Quoted from Toasterdog:

LEs sell games, period. It encourages people to place their money down early. If Rick or any other manufacturer wants to do it, who cares. Buy a standard edition if it irks you.

Personally I think the luster is wearing off the LE's for some buyers. Some good debate if Star Trek warranted the +3k on a LE package. WOZ - I wouldn't do a JJP LE again as the game play is the same on all models. On that note I don't like the idea of cutting something out of a game and then charging 75% of the crippled game to get the features back in again on an "LE"........ Or go ahead and do it on the LE's, but put the actual true cost on BOM in to get the features back, call it a premium without the "number" and LE card and I'd pay the difference for sure. And again personally think I might be done with the LE NIB regardless. Too much depreciation. Unless its a game I'd live with forever (or +5 years) with 100% certainty - like maybe Muppetts. Not much else right now I'd even consider in that category. I don't need a game to appreciate ever, but am realizing with all the games coming out now there is no longer a "rush" and for me to take a big hit on losing value in the first 18 to 24 months makes no sense.

And last thought - the more money the LE's make the less "limited" they're truly going to become. That's what I'd do if I was JJP and Stern and whoever else. They abuse us as much as we allow them to.

patience grasshopper

#2764 10 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Nope. The universal monsters license isn't either hard to get or expensive (from what I've heard anyway). So still possible. Not saying that means anything about whether it will or will not get made -- just don't write it off based on licensing.

supply and demand weighed against cost to make. MB is a sought after game but would cost more than a game like AFM to make (not even factoring in licensing). I don't think it'll be number 3. My 2 cents

2 months later
#3441 9 years ago
Quoted from indypinhead:

I was really hoping to see a high gloss black powdercoat instead of the textured look.
Regardless, I like the black over the gold powdercoat any day.

I have a smooth black on a restored creech. Not quite high gloss and not quite matt. Anyway - I don't think you want either. Suffers from the same symptoms as a smart phone screen. This looks pitted to me vs stern's "rough" type of black.

that and no matter how good the pics are, its still pretty tough to get an impression of what this is actually going to look like.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
Boards

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Hobbypinball.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mmr-pps-and-overall-update-official-pps-oct-21-2013?tu=Hobbypinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.