(Topic ID: 67443)

MMR PPS and Overall Update - Official PPS (Oct 21, 2013)

By PPS

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 5,463 posts
  • 470 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by pmWolf
  • Topic is favorited by 98 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-77.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
pps.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Screenshot_2013-11-01-14-19-50.png
Screenshot_2013-09-14-17-45-13.png
yawn.jpg
Rick.jpg
42-3079-100.JPG
issue tissue.jpg
facepalmgroup.gif
elephant-in-the-room.jpg
math.gif
untitled.png

This topic is closed.

There are 5,463 posts in this topic. You are on page 84 of 110.
#4151 9 years ago

I don't think any of those are the issue. I think the issue is 100's of parts from however many suppliers have to come in perfect and all be inspected. If just one of those parts aren't correct, the game cannot be made. The cabs and the play fields are all being done locally so they have a lot more control over that.

Quoted from HOOKED:

I envision this being much like a car assembly line. Once its in motion the 1000 LE's will pop out quickly . The issue will be bringing it all together to be assembled. 1000 cab 1000 PF and 1000 harnesses will be the interesting sourcing and storage part.
My hopes are for a Stern in house build of the harnesses.
I hope there are multiple Stern factory tours during this time documenting the processes for future pinheads.

#4152 9 years ago

As far as I know only the trails and metal guides were not being reproduced for what seems years.
A lot of games are in that stage - TOTAN - AFM- all have everything but harnesses and guides out there already made to spec. I have been watching for MB stuff to start arriving on market in hopes it will be re-released.

But now PBC is on the block another one of my dream games. MM was the first on the dream list.

#4153 9 years ago

Guys ... I'll give an update on Monday ... If you've not been keeping up with the news I've been back and forth to bloomington every 1.5 weeks (where i am right now) loading all of IPB assets as well as Gene Cunningham assets which we acquired... Including breaking down hundreds of games ... 8 x 53' containers loaded thus far ... This stuff has to go before the banks and landlords lock the buildings ... So this has been more time and logistics to quickly load and go within the last30 days. And besides setting all of the loads up I'm right in there getting it on the trucks ...

So just if I'm a little less on the forum ... It's cause I'm busy ...

We have the complete focus of Chicago Gaming as well as the top people at Stern totally involved in making this happen.

Rick

#4154 9 years ago

Great news Rick, thanks for the update.

#4155 9 years ago

Monday... "Pick your color and give me all your money!"

#4156 9 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

And besides setting all of the loads up I'm right in there getting it on the trucks ...

cant get anymore hands on that that.... excellent work

#4157 9 years ago

Rick has done the best job and continues to do so, of all the pin makers now, in "herding the pinhead/pinside cats"….and keeping this bunch happy and informed, and that's no small feat!

Communication and common sense, why is it so lacking in most others?

#4158 9 years ago

Medieval
Madness
Rick's
Latest
Endeavor

I can't wait !!!!!

#4159 9 years ago

Well, if Rick pulls this off, (which I believe he will), he will have shown he is a very skilled and talented businessman. Buying up IPD assets, remaking games.....awesome for the future of pinball. I can support a guy like that. Looking forward to Monday.

#4161 9 years ago

Nice, that pretty much explains everything very nicely.

#4162 9 years ago

Cliffs notes:
- July 10th is the date down payments become non-refundable
- the first batch of production games at Stern are tentatively scheduled to begin in the last few days of July.

#4163 9 years ago

Here is an attempt to show the 3 trim options side by side, I think this will help with getting a perspective on the difference. I need to check the levelers on the black as in the picture they are zinc, so I think they will be black zinc to match ...

MMRTrimX3.jpgMMRTrimX3.jpg

Also, at BAA HQ (San Jose) we have a leg each of the Black and Gold powdercoat, so if anyone in the area (as well as those coming in for CA Extreme) want to see, then you can stop by and we will have them there to check out the color and the finish.

thanks, [email protected]

#4164 9 years ago

Tough choice! The gold has a bad rap around here but I think it looks pretty good in that pic.

#4165 9 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

Tough choice! The gold has a bad rap around here but I think it looks pretty good in that pic.

Yeah, I think gold looks sweet...black really fits the art nicely - but gold is a great contrast. What to do, what to do...I'm like 90% gonna go gold.

#4166 9 years ago

Yeah the side by sides did it for me. I'm gonna go gold. It fits the artwork and playfield nicely.

#4167 9 years ago

DEF has to be black leg levellers

#4168 9 years ago

Shiny Black with black leg levellers for me!

#4169 9 years ago

I thought I wanted black. Now after seeing the gold next to the other two, I have to admit that it looks awesome! I'm going for the gold, it will make me feel like I'm getting an LE

#4170 9 years ago

Black for this guy for sure! Medieval times to me is all about darkness….dirt….unless you were royalty, which in that case riches, golden crowns….UH OH!! Maybe gold now!! What to do, what to do!
Thanks Rick!

#4171 9 years ago

I think of gold, black, candy colored etc like fads, I've tried them all and at one time or another or on one game or another I thought they looked good, now I have gone full circle and am back to liking good ol S.S, never needs polishing, don't have to worry about finger prints, if it scratches it can be re-grained, I'm going with S.S, besides, I REALLY do think it looks best too.

#4172 9 years ago
Quoted from NYP:

I think of gold, black, candy colored etc like fads, I've tried them all and at one time or another or on one game or another I thought they looked good, now I have gone full circle and am back to liking good ol S.S, never needs polishing, don't have to worry about finger prints, if it scratches it can be re-grained, I'm going with S.S, besides, I REALLY do think it looks best too.

i agree. im not in the mix, but id be going the SS as well. tried and true classic

#4173 9 years ago

What will the serial plates / badges xxxx of 1000 look like, are they in silver, gold, or black ? In other words are they going to match the trim ?

I think the silver trim is the safest reminds me of the 97' Williams...
Black is the sleekest, and fits the theme & time frame the best.
Gold is now growing on me, and really does pop... It makes it look like an LE.

#4174 9 years ago

Great news! Hopefully once deposits are locked and games are being made you are ready to announce MB : )

#4175 9 years ago

Thanks for keeping us in the loop! Hopefully the next few weeks go well, and we'll be seeing our games in no time!

#4176 9 years ago

Rick, and Vendors,
for the balance can we go back to normal payment options of credit cards?

#4177 9 years ago

Rick stated a couple pages ago, the plaques are going to be seafoam green.

Quoted from mrclean:

What will the serial plates / badges xxxx of 1000 look like, are they in silver, gold, or black ? In other words are they going to match the trim ?

#4178 9 years ago

I think it depends on your distributor. I had no issues using my credit card for my deposit, but everyone else I know had to send a check. I'd call your distributor directly.

Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

Rick, and Vendors,
for the balance can we go back to normal payment options of credit cards?

#4179 9 years ago

Looks like I'll be getting mine close to my birthday in Sept-- Rick, very nice of you to have planned that for me!

....thanks for the awesome detail in your timing overview notice. I for one, appreciate the obvious caveats you noted about potential bumps in the road.....very professional.

Best of luck!

#4180 9 years ago

Wow, I was Black all the way, until the 3 picts. The gold is looking really good!

Rick, will you have any games or trim samples at CAX in 2 1/2 weeks?

#4181 9 years ago

I am so excited. I guess I need to find some room for this sooner rather than later! Thanks for the updates Rick.

#4182 9 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

Build pre-production games of CCC and and then more thru the 2nd week of July which will be the ‘test’ to insure we are ready to put on the line and go.

That's what I THOUGHT it said. LOL

#4183 9 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

Here is an attempt to show the 3 trim options side by side, I think this will help with getting a perspective on the difference. I need to check the levelers on the black as in the picture they are zinc, so I think they will be black zinc to match ...

Also, at BAA HQ (San Jose) we have a leg each of the Black and Gold powdercoat, so if anyone in the area (as well as those coming in for CA Extreme) want to see, then you can stop by and we will have them there to check out the color and the finish.
thanks, [email protected]

MMRTrimX3.jpg 147 KB

http://www.creativebloq.com/photoshop/alternatives-1131641

#4184 9 years ago

I was thinking black for mine but seeing the pictures i beleive gold is the way to go. Black just seems a little drab and the gold makes it stand out some and looks more unigue. Also maybe gold's will be the first batch so if you go for the gold you could get it sooner maybe but just assuming. That standard stainless does just look right and clashe and I am glad I got in for an LE.

#4185 9 years ago
Quoted from Nilroc:

Shiny Black with black leg levellers for me!

Me too!

#4186 9 years ago

Well that is certainly exciting news !

Thanks Rick and all involved !

LTG : )™

#4187 9 years ago

Going gold!

#4188 9 years ago

Sticking with the gold.

#4189 9 years ago

Most of us have seen the other trim options on this or other games in person, but the powder-coat gold is unique, and IMO a bit of a gamble as it is still really tough to judge from a low-res pic of the front of the game. Hopefully it works out for everyone... it looks like it will.

#4190 9 years ago

Gold for me too!

#4191 9 years ago

Black's nice too, but gold really stands out and makes it look LE. So gold for me!
I hope they manufacture the gold ones first *fingers crossed*

#4192 9 years ago

Using blue instead of purple on the front of the cabinet is a nice touch. Maybe it's just the light.

#4193 9 years ago

I'm not in this anymore but, to me it would be either SS or gold. I just lost that lovin feeling for the black.

#4194 9 years ago

Easy choice after seeing the picks side by side. Its going to be gold!

#4195 9 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

I'm not in this anymore but, to me it would be either SS or gold. I just lost that lovin feeling for the black.

I'm guessing that guys who own & like the newer Sterns with the black trim will be more inclined to choose the black. IDK
~Steveo

#4196 9 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

I'm not sure exactly how UL and FCC work, but my understanding is if you have a pinball 'product' for sale then it is required to pass UL and FCC, not sure how you get away without that - something I think for safety sake everyone should be expecting from any supplier of pinballs ...

UL is *ENTIRELY* optional for any manufacturer of any device. UL likes to make people *THINK* they're a government agency and required, but the fact is that they aren't. There might be a local government that requires a UL mark to be able to be used in public places, but that is a requirement put out by the locals. UL is a for-profit company that does safety testing and allows people to mark their device with their trademark once they meet whatever requirements they deem necessary. They may also help you to prove you meet national requirements (like what is needed to CE mark a device or get approval by OSHA or the FDA), but those are different than UL testing and their mark. There are 3 primary private industries that do this kind of testing and marking in competition: UL, CSA, and ETL. We've used all 3 at various times on devices I design (ie: non-pinball). They are all basically the same but slightly different in the details.

FCC on the other hand *IS* a government agency and has requirements you need to meet in order to legally use or sell products. Basically, they do have legal authority but the enforcement side of things is somewhat nebulous and usually involved local and/or federal law enforcement.

I don't know if there are any US federal regulations that a pinball machine needs to meet that UL might help you prove compliance with. Having a UL mark does not eliminate you from having any liability in the case of your device causing damage or injury. It might help you prove that you did your due diligence and were responsible in how you made your product (which might limit punitive damages), but it doesn't eliminate any liability.

From the conversations I've had with a couple of the boutique guys, they are basically choosing to be ignorant (officially anyway) of being aware of these regulations and choosing to simply not do anything on that regard. Basically, they would need to be caught in non-compliance. In the case of the FCC, unless they are shown to be causing issues with someone else, the FCC won't likely care.

My 2 cents of my non-pinball experiences with the organizations in question.
Jaz

#4198 9 years ago

The testing house I believe does UL/CE testing - cannot export without CE and so they are similar types of testing packages is my understanding. Additionally there are various locales in the US (so I'm told) which require testing by recognized entity, etc. Anyways, I'm sure a number of boutiques are choosing to be ignorant, which may create issues down the road at the hardest time when money is on the line and games are being built ... not a risk that we want to carry, especially with some of our customers money ...

rick

#4199 9 years ago

i would think insurance.. insurance companies want any excuse to wiggle out of covering something. Not having a UL stamp seems like something they could point to claim some kind of negligence.

#4200 9 years ago

in my experience, people who try to cut corners and shirk requirements on technicalities often end up in bad situations (and are quick to blame anyone but themselves for their predicament). keep doing it right, Rick.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 130.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinwize.com

$ 225.00
Cabinet - Other
FlyLand Designs

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 44.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 129.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 16.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 9.95
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 24.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Decals
Creative Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 5,463 posts in this topic. You are on page 84 of 110.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mmr-pps-and-overall-update-official-pps-oct-21-2013/page/84 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.