(Topic ID: 67443)

MMR PPS and Overall Update - Official PPS (Oct 21, 2013)

By PPS

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 5,463 posts
  • 470 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by pmWolf
  • Topic is favorited by 101 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 213 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image-77.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
pps.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Screenshot_2013-11-01-14-19-50.png
Screenshot_2013-09-14-17-45-13.png
yawn.jpg
Rick.jpg
42-3079-100.JPG
issue tissue.jpg
facepalmgroup.gif
elephant-in-the-room.jpg
math.gif
untitled.png

This topic is closed.

There are 5463 posts in this topic. You are on page 64 of 110.
#3151 5 years ago

The hardware fully supports a color display, it's a software update. Is that what you are asking?

Quoted from Maddog:

Ditto. Please clarify, update or upgrade software to colorize display, big difference. No go no buy. Great Job, looks great plays great!!

#3152 5 years ago
Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

Good luck waiting for a 5K MMR. You may be waiting a very long time. Most getting MMR have played it a ton and know they love it. For that reason I think many buyers will be holding onto it for a long while.

Quoted from Cybergoonie:

Just gonna wait a few years till the market is saturated like ac/dc so I can get one in the 5k realm of course.

Well, he did say a few years, so there's a chance.

#3153 5 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

So, for the standard, any of the options or addons would be a separate parts purchase. Depending on the options that can change but for the trim it will not.

F me. Good call but I hate changing that crap. Who has an LE for sale...

EDIT: FOUND ONE

#3154 5 years ago

A quick summary from TPF:

- The two pilot games played great all weekend long - no major issues and very few minor things (a wire came off the castle switch, shooter lane wire got stuck and just had to bend it a little), flipper adjustments (primarily due to power feed fluctuating from down to 100V, etc), and possibly a couple more things ...
- Both games were on and playing for around 40 hours almost non-stop, and no electronics issues (which we expected none) of any kind.
- Most important was a huge consistent feedback that the game played just like 'their' original game that many people have. This is the most important and this is what we almost universally heard.
- People liked the LED's, there is additional tuning that we will look into about specific feature lites, and any other effects.
- The LED design has 3 LED's cluster under every insert, and circuit such that if ANY of those 3 LED's goes out the remaining LED's get brighter to compensate. Note that these are 50,000 hour LED's -AND- we are driving them at lower voltage, so we feel that the LED's are basically addressed sufficiently, possibly some additional tweaks, etc.
- The driver 'board-lets' (1/3's) are thru hole transisters and pre-drivers, but they are also 4x higher load transisters and so the liklihood of them getting shorted is much lower, but if they do, you can take out your soldering iron and have at it! -or- just have a 1/3 driver board (at about that cost) and replace it.
- The main Lamp board had no issues for the duration of the show on the two games, and if for any reason there were to be an issue in shipped games then it takes about 20 minutes to replace the board as well as we will have exchange pricing on them (even though they are not all that expensive), to further reduce any cost (of course this is after the warranty period).
- We have adjustable voltage for the main solenoids built into the power supply of the game, so the game can be jumpered to give more or less power to the solenoids - something you cannot do and helps with major voltage issues in your power source.
- We decided to offer black option with the LE's (after purchase for std's) as well as the gold as there is too much energy going into the gold choice (and yes - brite shiny gold is not an option, it will not hold up, it never has and there are no good options, otherwise we would have already done that, so let's put that one to bed - anyone for a small amount of money can color their trim to whatever they want).

SO, this gives us a list of feedback, and we appreciate everyone at the show who gave the feedback, it was the right time and the right place to get the games out there and be there to listen to everyone. Alot of props out to Chicago Gaming (Doug and Dave) for their hard work as well as incorporating the feedback to insure that this is the best game that it can be!

rick@planetarypinball.com

#3155 5 years ago
Quoted from Hwawonyu:

F me. Good call but I hate changing that crap. Who has an LE for sale...

http://www.pinballsales.com/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=156&idcategory=2

#3156 5 years ago

As we have said MANY MANY times, the colorized DMD is a software upgrade. At this time it will be an free LE upgrade to the software - likely no charge for LE owners, but we don't have the full cost yet, but that is the goal. So YES, the colorized DMD will be going into the game, probably the biggest question we internally have is exactly when - may be sooner or may be later, but will be done.

rick

#3158 5 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

As we have said MANY MANY times, the colorized DMD is a software upgrade. At this time it will be an upgrade to the software - likely no charge for LE owners, but we don't have the full cost yet, but that is the goal. So YES, the colorized DMD will be going into the game, probably the biggest question we internally have is exactly when - may be sooner or may be later, but will be done.
rick

Thanks for clarification. Great, straight from the horse's mouth, as we say in Texas.

#3159 5 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Hwawonyu said:F me. Good call but I hate changing that crap. Who has an LE for sale...
http://www.pinballsales.com/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=156&idcategory=2

Thanks. Anyone know of any other place beside JJP that has one for sale. I emailed Pinball Phil and GEX. Seeing the LEDs ( I Love!) which I feared would be too toned down and now the black trim is awesome. Heck I may go for all the remakes now.
If I can purchase from anyone than that one place. Otherwise I guess I am out.

Edit: FOUND ONE : )

#3160 5 years ago

Great job so far Rick! Looking forward to taking delivery of my new shiny MM.....

#3161 5 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

- Most important was a huge consistent feedback that the game played just like 'their' original game that many people have.

0205cramer.jpg

sell.jpg

#3162 5 years ago

Great to read all of the positive reviews. Makes me glad I signed on. Now I just have to create a space for the thing...

#3163 5 years ago

Its happening all over again!

Heaven-377.jpg
#3164 5 years ago
Quoted from Craig:

Great to read all of the positive reviews. Makes me glad I signed on. Now I just have to create a space for the thing...

Same here.

I'm REALLY glad I was able to get in on the LE

#3165 5 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

As we have said MANY MANY times, the colorized DMD is a software upgrade. At this time it will be an free LE upgrade to the software - likely no charge for LE owners, but we don't have the full cost yet, but that is the goal. So YES, the colorized DMD will be going into the game, probably the biggest question we internally have is exactly when - may be sooner or may be later, but will be done.
rick

Thanks, Rick.

#3166 5 years ago

it's been impressive how this project has marched methodically towards its goal while maintaining a reasonably open communication with its buyers. by all accounts, the first public showing of the game went about as well as it could have -- another milestone in the books. kudos to Rick and the whole PPS team.

#3167 5 years ago

These past few weeks, I had honestly been considering offering to trade my NIB MMR LE for a collector quality original MM. After reading all the recent MMR news, NO WAY! MMR sounds so much superior with all the updated electronics, software upgrade abilities, less maintenance (no more changing bulbs every few weeks), no more pulling a million cables to change a transistor (sounds like we can just replace the whole board now for a reasonable price). And, now the black trim option being available puts the icing on the cake. Can't wait to open up, touch, smell, and play my NIB MMR. Kinda reminds me of my "first time" as a teenage boy lol.

#3168 5 years ago
Quoted from rx3:

And, now the black trim option being available puts the icing on the cake.

Not happy about this, since before it was a no brainer for me to go stainless over gold, but now I have to think about it. Damn you Rick for listening to your customers!!

#3169 5 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

A quick summary from TPF:
- The two pilot games played great all weekend long - no major issues and very few minor things (a wire came off the castle switch, shooter lane wire got stuck and just had to bend it a little), flipper adjustments (primarily due to power feed fluctuating from down to 100V, etc), and possibly a couple more things ...
- Both games were on and playing for around 40 hours almost non-stop, and no electronics issues (which we expected none) of any kind.
- Most important was a huge consistent feedback that the game played just like 'their' original game that many people have. This is the most important and this is what we almost universally heard.
- People liked the LED's, there is additional tuning that we will look into about specific feature lites, and any other effects.
- The LED design has 3 LED's cluster under every insert, and circuit such that if ANY of those 3 LED's goes out the remaining LED's get brighter to compensate. Note that these are 50,000 hour LED's -AND- we are driving them at lower voltage, so we feel that the LED's are basically addressed sufficiently, possibly some additional tweaks, etc.
- The driver 'board-lets' (1/3's) are thru hole transisters and pre-drivers, but they are also 4x higher load transisters and so the liklihood of them getting shorted is much lower, but if they do, you can take out your soldering iron and have at it! -or- just have a 1/3 driver board (at about that cost) and replace it.
- The main Lamp board had no issues for the duration of the show on the two games, and if for any reason there were to be an issue in shipped games then it takes about 20 minutes to replace the board as well as we will have exchange pricing on them (even though they are not all that expensive), to further reduce any cost (of course this is after the warranty period).
- We have adjustable voltage for the main solenoids built into the power supply of the game, so the game can be jumpered to give more or less power to the solenoids - something you cannot do and helps with major voltage issues in your power source.
- We decided to offer black option with the LE's (after purchase for std's) as well as the gold as there is too much energy going into the gold choice (and yes - brite shiny gold is not an option, it will not hold up, it never has and there are no good options, otherwise we would have already done that, so let's put that one to bed - anyone for a small amount of money can color their trim to whatever they want).
SO, this gives us a list of feedback, and we appreciate everyone at the show who gave the feedback, it was the right time and the right place to get the games out there and be there to listen to everyone. Alot of props out to Chicago Gaming (Doug and Dave) for their hard work as well as incorporating the feedback to insure that this is the best game that it can be!
rick@planetarypinball.com

Dear Rick,

Thank you.

#3170 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Not happy about this, since before it was a no brainer for me to go stainless over gold, but now I have to think about it. Damn you Rick for listening to your customers!!

Ya, same boat...the black looks good.... I'd have to see the colors PPS uses to decide...but I'm excited!

#3171 5 years ago

I was really excited about this project beforehand, but this weekend's posts have taken me to a whole new level of giddiness. Thank you everyone who shared their TPF experiences and a big thanks to Rick!

#3172 5 years ago
Quoted from rx3:

less maintenance (no more changing bulbs every few weeks),

WTF do you do that you are changing bulbs every few weeks in a game? If you are swapping stuff that often you have bigger problems.

#3173 5 years ago
Quoted from Flake:

I was really excited about this project beforehand, but this weekend's posts have taken me to a whole new level of giddiness. Thank you everyone who shared their TPF experiences and a big thanks to Rick!

Me too. I was going to cancel my pre-order but I'm afraid I can't now.

#3174 5 years ago

I'm In!

#3175 5 years ago

I would still love to see a herg (LED-OCD) style PWM on those LEDs to control the instant on/off, but TPF moved me back to the "keep it" side of the decision for me!

#3176 5 years ago
Quoted from calvin12:

WTF do you do that you are changing bulbs every few weeks in a game? If you are swapping stuff that often you have bigger problems.

Sorry, let me look at my bulb changing log to give you a more accurate time frame

#3177 5 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

I wasn't there and haven't played it obviously so I will hold my personal judgment, but I can say that based on my discussions with people who I know/trust that were there and played it, this is an accurate statement (with the caveat of the weak flippers which is almost certainly an issue with the line voltage at the show).

And like you said, this is the most important thing that you could have got positive feedback on. The rest of the stuff is child's play in comparison (trim colors, dialing in LEDs, yellow flipper bats (lol) etc).

#3178 5 years ago

Holy crap are you fickle!!

#3179 5 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I wasn't there and haven't played it obviously so I will hold my personal judgment, but I can say that based on my discussions with people who I know/trust that were there and played it, this is an accurate statement (with the caveat of the weak flippers which is almost certainly an issue with the line voltage at the show).
And like you said, this is the most important thing that you could have got positive feedback on. The rest of the stuff is child's play in comparison (trim colors, dialing in LEDs, yellow flipper bats (lol) etc).

Good info Rob thanks.

#3180 5 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Haha. Well at least I'll know someone local so I can hopefully play one. I do plan on getting one eventually.

#3181 5 years ago
Quoted from YZRider926:

Haha. Well at least I'll know someone local so I can hopefully play one. I do plan on getting one eventually.

Y'all will be welcome to play mine too

#3182 5 years ago

Rick - congrats on the successful Texas showing!

Quick question and I apologize if this has been covered already - what are the audit/adjustment screens going to be like? Will it be in the typical B/W format but with some new options based on the new features....or a completely different format entirely?

Thanks!

#3183 5 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

Y'all will be welcome to play mine too

Thanks. Right down the road too.

#3184 5 years ago

Sorry guys for the delay. I got deathly sick on the last day of the show so I'm just now getting around to post a video of the castle sequence. Here you go.

#3185 5 years ago

Looks great! Ive only really played pinball arcade MM. Just played a real machine once for a couple games. I dont remember the green. But i like it. Is the draw bridge supposed to go all the way up? Looks like it didnt close all the way in the vid.

#3186 5 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Dave can take this comment in the good nature it was intended, due in large part to the fact that he knows how fickle I am as well.

#3187 5 years ago

Yeah the draw bridge was going up, but for some reason in this game it got stuck. That's should be a simple fix.

#3188 5 years ago

Lol, you know it ; )

#3189 5 years ago
Quoted from PinballHog:

Sorry guys for the delay. I got deathly sick on the last day of the show so I'm just now getting around to post a video of the castle sequence. Here you go.
» YouTube video

Not to be a stickler, but anyone think that the sequence still has a little ways to go to match the original? the moving parts of the castle seem a bit stiff whereas in the original they are literally flailing.

#3190 5 years ago

It does, it's not quite right. The leftmost tower in the original is a lot further down when the castle is done flailing before it is reset.

Quoted from yotaxi125:

Not to be a stickler, but anyone think that the sequence still has a little ways to go to match the original?

#3191 5 years ago
Quoted from yotaxi125:

the moving parts of the castle seem a bit stiff whereas in the original they are literally flailing.

How old are the parts in the original and how many times have they been shaken ? And how old are the parts in the new one and how many times have they been shaken ?

Believe me the old one has worn bases, axles, and springs.

LTG : )™

#3192 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

How old are the parts in the original and how many times have they been shaken ? And how old are the parts in the new one and how many times have they been shaken ?
Believe me the old one has worn bases, axles, and springs.

how many original MM's have been restored/rebuilt with new parts though? a fair point, but just saying.

#3193 5 years ago
Quoted from yotaxi125:

how many original MM's have been restored/rebuilt with new parts though? a fair point, but just saying.

Not many, because much of the castle parts have been unavailable for a long time. I tried to find the big tower base and probably found the last one on the planet.

Until now maybe.

LTG : )

#3194 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Not many, because much of the castle parts have been unavailable for a long time

yeah castle parts maybe. hardware though, not so much. it ain't hard.

#3195 5 years ago
Quoted from yotaxi125:

hardware though, not so much. it ain't hard.

Bay Area had the metal base listed for years, the one the towers mount too, but it has been out of stock forever.

Have an axle break or wear through, yes you could make a new one, make a bushing for the elongated hole it rides in too. Springs would be easy.

Might not be hard, for you. Would be for most.

#3196 5 years ago

The remake will definitely benefit existing MM owners now that they can get all the parts they need.

#3197 5 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

The gold and now black options are LE's. If you have a standard you can buy the parts and put them on yourselves. Note that the tape holding the side trim DOES NOT rip off the cabinet art, so at least that is a benefit from the way it used to be. No guarantees that you can get the side trim off without kinking it or otherwise messing it up.
So, for the standard, any of the options or addons would be a separate parts purchase. Depending on the options that can change but for the trim it will not.
You do not have to rush in to choose black trim right now, as we want to get some samples out, etc.
At some point in the next month or two we will be getting all the options available for LE owners and insure that we have this tied to every order, but there is no need to worry about that right now.
rick

Thanks for the info. Will the dist. (in this case pinballsales.com) or PPS be contacting us regarding LE options available?

Thanks,
Tslayer

#3198 5 years ago

I will say this. This video of the castle was on the gold trim machine. The towers seemed tighter on this machine than the other. On the silver trim MMR, after the castle towers had fallen they seemed to lean more. I just figure this is a simple adjustment in hardware.

#3199 5 years ago
Quoted from tslayer71:

Thanks for the info. Will the dist. (in this case pinballsales.com) or PPS be contacting us regarding LE options available?
Thanks,
Tslayer

Yes, the resellers will be responsible for insuring that the correct machine with the correct options are on order. We will discuss with them when it is time to do that.

#3200 5 years ago
Quoted from PinballHog:

I will say this. This video of the castle was on the gold trim machine. The towers seemed tighter on this machine than the other. On the silver trim MMR, after the castle towers had fallen they seemed to lean more. I just figure this is a simple adjustment in hardware.

springs and various adjustments ...

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Boards
PinSound
$ 98.00
Playfield - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
There are 5463 posts in this topic. You are on page 64 of 110.

This topic is closed.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside