(Topic ID: 67443)

MMR PPS and Overall Update - Official PPS (Oct 21, 2013)

By PPS

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 5,463 posts
  • 470 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by pmWolf
  • Topic is favorited by 101 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 213 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image-77.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
pps.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Screenshot_2013-11-01-14-19-50.png
Screenshot_2013-09-14-17-45-13.png
yawn.jpg
Rick.jpg
42-3079-100.JPG
issue tissue.jpg
facepalmgroup.gif
elephant-in-the-room.jpg
math.gif
untitled.png

This topic is closed.

There are 5463 posts in this topic. You are on page 63 of 110.
#3101 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

http://www.pinballnews.com/shows/tpf2014/index3.html About half way down the page. Big transformer, switching power supply, and a row of bridge rectifiers on a heat sink on the floor.
Looks pretty impressive for power to me.
LTG : )™

Thanks Lloyd. I wish they had gotten a closer picture but it does look very nice. I suspected a switching power supply would be part of the equation but I was curious where they were getting their higher voltages, and now we know.

#3102 5 years ago

Here is another video of the inside of the MMR. I forgot to flip my phone sideways. Sorry.

#3103 5 years ago
Quoted from PinballHog:

Here is another video of the inside of the MMR. I forgot to flip my phone sideways. Sorry.
» YouTube video

Wow - that was some great info about the LEDs....each insert has 3 LEDs and if one goes out, the other two become brighter. I love that they've put that type of creativity into the redesign of the components.

#3104 5 years ago

The LEDs look good, but they appear to have the quick LED on/off cycle rather than emulating the incandescent fade like the LED OCD board, but I don't get the impression this can be remedied in this game with an after-market board.

I originally imagined the brass trim to match the brass ramps as was done with LOTR LE, but gold powder-coat doesn't match anything on the game or cabinet. As to whether or not brass matches the yellow of the cabinet, I'd assume it would match at least as well as the original stainless does, right? I wasn't fond of black before, but if there are no chrome or brass options then a smooth black powder coat would at least look better than powder coat gold. I really hope any powder coat is made more durable than what Stern has been putting on their LE/Premium games.

#3105 5 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

The LEDs look good, but they appear to have the quick LED on/off cycle rather than emulating the incandescent fade like the LED OCD board

anybody else feel this way about the LEDs? i'm not banging on your opinion....just want to get an overall take on the new LEDs in the MM-LEs (since i am not going to be able to see this thing in person before it arrives at my doorstep).

thanks.

#3106 5 years ago

They can change the LED timing in the software easily.

Who knows, by the time it's out they could have 3 ramp up settings, fast LED style, med, or slow incandescent style.

#3107 5 years ago

I would like gold but they need to fix it first. Not feeling the current gold look.

#3108 5 years ago

that's really interesting about the inserts being lit by 3 LEDs, and how if one goes out, the other two compensate by getting brighter. do Stern or JJP machines do that?

#3109 5 years ago

I think the leds look great. I've also talked to several people here at the show, many who own a MM and they say the leds look good to them. I thought the flippers got spongy is what I call it the longer you played the game on one of the machines, and tonight we found out why. All the machines in the row with the MMR tonight were getting dim and you could smell some hot wires smell from the whole row. We all started turning machines off as fast as we could. They must of had to many machines on that circuit. The hotel must have fixed it because about 30min later they started turning machines back on and the MMR's were playing great again.

#3110 5 years ago
Quoted from 2000_Alum:

Looks like the two-staged ramps are angled instead of straight to me.

Quoted from o-din:

I wonder why.

I thought I had heard that there was some patent or something about the design of the original MM ramps that couldn't be used in the remakes (Vid or Lloyd will probably be able to she'd light on this)

#3111 5 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

I thought I had heard that there was some patent or something about the design of the original MM ramps that couldn't be used in the remakes (Vid or Lloyd will probably be able to she'd light on this)

Yeah I remember this story too but pics of the new machines have the same triangular plastic riveted to the ramp entrance as my MM that I bought back in '97. So this looks like one area that doesn't need any concern... though I'm sure some will disagree

#3112 5 years ago

I did feel the LEDs needed a herg board type control - I talked to the engineer who said they had done some to correct but would take the concern back to the team. For me, its very important. There is a reason I've bought 3 OCD-LED.

#3113 5 years ago

When I was watching the video, I noticed the green lighting effect on the castle. Was this green lighting used on the original? For some reason I can't remember if it did or not. I know that there was an aftermarket mod for lighting up the area green. Did anyone else notice this?

#3114 5 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

I believe that patent either expired or was not renewed by the person that owned it, so it may not be an issue any longer. It was an issue back in the Wayne days from what I heard.

#3115 5 years ago
Quoted from TaTa:

When I was watching the video, I noticed the green lighting effect on the castle. Was this green lighting used on the original? For some reason I can't remember if it did or not. I know that there was an aftermarket mod for lighting up the area green. Did anyone else notice this?

It's on the original... flashers shine through the green moat. With green LED flashers the color may be more intense...
well probably

#3116 5 years ago

^^^^^^^^^^That makes sense. thanks ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

#3117 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I wonder why.

It says on pinball news that they were designed to ignore the ball going SDTM. Not sure if this answers what you are asking though.

#3118 5 years ago
Quoted from hardware:

It says on pinball news that they were designed to ignore the ball going SDTM. Not sure if this answers what you are asking though.

looks like the pinball news item is mistaken. on another thread people posted images of original ramp versus MMR's and nobody could tell a difference.

#3119 5 years ago

I was thinking that to, unless they see or know something subtle that we aren't picking up on.

Quoted from pezpunk:

looks like the pinball news item is mistaken. on another thread people posted images of original ramp versus MMR's and nobody could tell a difference.

#3120 5 years ago

It looks a little like the raised section to divert the ball on the new ramp is an extra piece of plastic on top, instead of a single piece mold on the original. But maybe I'm just seeing it wrong.

#3121 5 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

instead of a single piece mold on the original.

It's not molded on the original. It's a separate piece.

LTG : )™

#3122 5 years ago
Quoted from TaTa:

Was this green lighting used on the original?

Many repo moats are not very translucent and thus you don't get the good green effect.

Obviously PPS is using quality reproductions and thus the green is quite evident.

#3123 5 years ago

A lot of original MMs have the moat flashers out of position or burned out. Also, PPS is likely using green LED flashers instead of incandescent flashers shining thru the green plastic.

#3124 5 years ago

I don't know. When I swapped my mm playfield I bought a new PPS moat and coin taker green 89 flashers. The light through my moat is nowhere near as bright and vivid green.

#3125 5 years ago

The green castle lighting on MMr looks awesome, so however they're doing it or however 'accurate' it is I definitely approve.

#3126 5 years ago

Rick, sounds like the show went great. Thanks for bringing them.

I do have a question, in the past you've mentioned that it would be possible to colorize the DMD with a software update. Can you address that? That to me is the one thing holding MMR from being truly superior over an original with colordmd mod (and unable to use said mod).

I'd be satisfied with a "One step at a time, but we're optimistic it can happen" or a "User selectable single color dmd is the best MMR will see". I'd just like some clarity one way or the other.

Thanks, looking forward to mine!

#3127 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

The green castle lighting on MMr looks awesome, so however they're doing it or however 'accurate' it is I definitely approve.

I would like to get tips on how to do this as well. Pinballbulbs sells this kit for the original-MM:s
and I am beginning to be tempted: http://www.pinballbulbs.com/sites/default/files/Medieval_Madness_PF.jpg

#3128 5 years ago

I don't find the information in the topic: What kind of lighting under the translite ? does it include flashers like the original ?

#3129 5 years ago
Quoted from Nepi23:

I would like to get tips on how to do this as well. Pinballbulbs sells this kit for the original-MM:s
and I am beginning to be tempted: http://www.pinballbulbs.com/sites/default/files/Medieval_Madness_PF.jpg

Holy sh#t! It looks like a Christmas show!

#3130 5 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

It looks a little like the raised section to divert the ball on the new ramp is an extra piece of plastic on top, instead of a single piece mold on the original. But maybe I'm just seeing it wrong.

Here is the patent for the MM ramps showing the separate piece of plastic (60).

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/5899454.pdf

#3131 5 years ago
Quoted from PinballHog:

Here is a short video of MMR at the Texas Pinball Festival.

After seeing this and how it's a 1 copy of the original I'm definitely in on the MMR Standard. Looks stunning. All I'm hearing is that it plays just as amazing and looks better then the original. Just gonna wait a few years till the market is saturated like ac/dc so I can get one in the 5k realm of course. Black or chrome hardware looks the best IMHO.

#3132 5 years ago

^^^^Yep, HUO will be out there for a good bit less. Might snag one in a year or so........ Game looks great.

An attack will come in 3,2,1.....

#3133 5 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

A lot of original MMs have the moat flashers out of position or burned out. Also, PPS is likely using green LED flashers instead of incandescent flashers shining thru the green plastic.

What I found interesting was that I was using a green LED flasher under the green moat on my MM, but the video of the MMr seems to show a much more vibrant green, which is pretty impressive.

#3134 5 years ago
Quoted from pinstor12:

^^^^Yep, HUO will be out there for a good bit less. Might snag one in a year or so........ Game looks great.
An attack will come in 3,2,1.....

You will likely be able get an original pro MM for less than the full featured HUO premium MMr. Only time will tell though!

#3135 5 years ago

Good luck waiting for a 5K MMR. You may be waiting a very long time. Most getting MMR have played it a ton and know they love it. For that reason I think many buyers will be holding onto it for a long while.

#3136 5 years ago
Quoted from Cybergoonie:

After seeing this and how it's a 1 copy of the original I'm definitely in on the MMR Standard. Looks stunning. All I'm hearing is that it plays just as amazing and looks better then the original. Just gonna wait a few years till the market is saturated like ac/dc so I can get one in the 5k realm of course. Black or chrome hardware looks the best IMHO.

5k for MMr I doubt it! the "saturated" ac/dc market still has nice HUO machines in the $5400 range (about $1000 less than a new game) I doubt you will see many willing To take a $3000 hit to sell you a HUO MMr in a year or two.
Time will tell but I haven't seen any $3000 ac/dc premiums lately and the factory Keeps pumping them out.

#3137 5 years ago
Quoted from PinballHog:

Here is a short video of MMR at the Texas Pinball Festival.
» YouTube video

thanks a lot for the video.

can we get MOAR please? would love to see that castle sequence!

#3138 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

It has nothing to do with sensitivity, it has to do with logic.
But OK, you're right. Everyone! NO ONE buy new pinball machines! Yer dum. Buy the used ones down the road. There will be a ton of them even though no one is buying them new.

Your words, and "logic", not mine.

I might snag a huo down the road. What's the big deal to you? I bet they will be in great condition, and probably get one for less. Happens with most games, wouldn't you agree?

You have a tendency to spin and/or argue things, turning posts into something else. Why do you get so bent out of shape? It's just pinball.

Going to play my huo stle.

#3139 5 years ago

Hear that sucking sound?

That's the air whooshing out of the "Original MM" market....

Congrats PPS.... this thing looks like a winner!

#3140 5 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

I was expecting to hear a lot more comments about how "this doesn't feel original" and "that doesn't look original" but the reaction so far looks to be summed up as "this looks and feels like a restored MM with nicely done LEDs though slightly weak flippers."

#3141 5 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

I was expecting to hear a lot more comments about how "this doesn't feel original" and "that doesn't look original" but the reaction so far looks to be summed up as "this looks and feels like a restored MM with nicely done LEDs though slightly weak flippers."

that has been my takeaway as well, though i was expecting those responses from purists and/or pinheads down on the whole idea of a remake....i always thought it would look and play like an original, but like you, i'm happy to hear those that have actually played it, confirm those thoughts.

no regrets for the MM-LE purchase here...and reading the reactions of pinballers that actually got to play it has only reinforced that decision.

can't freakin' wait for mine.

#3142 5 years ago

Is there only one gameplay video of the MMR from the Texas Pinball Festival ?!? Nice to hear that the MMR plays just like the original.

#3143 5 years ago

MM14 is going to turn the original into the refake.

Quoted from lowepg:

Hear that sucking sound?

That's the air whooshing out of the "Original MM" market....

#3144 5 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

MM14 is going to turn the original into the refake.

Now that made me laugh
We need a countdown for Teekee to jump back into the thread

#3145 5 years ago

#3146 5 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

I do have a question, in the past you've mentioned that it would be possible to colorize the DMD with a software update. Can you address that? That to me is the one thing holding MMR from being truly superior over an original with colordmd mod (and unable to use said mod).
I'd be satisfied with a "One step at a time, but we're optimistic it can happen" or a "User selectable single color dmd is the best MMR will see". I'd just like some clarity one way or the other.

It was mentioned that a fully integrated color software update was in the works.....most likely around the beginning of 2015 from what gathered in the seminar. Both machines are lit up very well...IMO.

#3147 5 years ago

Rick,
if we go to order a standard now can we specify black trim and can we purchase a shaker motor?

#3148 5 years ago

The gold and now black options are LE's. If you have a standard you can buy the parts and put them on yourselves. Note that the tape holding the side trim DOES NOT rip off the cabinet art, so at least that is a benefit from the way it used to be. No guarantees that you can get the side trim off without kinking it or otherwise messing it up.

So, for the standard, any of the options or addons would be a separate parts purchase. Depending on the options that can change but for the trim it will not.

You do not have to rush in to choose black trim right now, as we want to get some samples out, etc.

At some point in the next month or two we will be getting all the options available for LE owners and insure that we have this tied to every order, but there is no need to worry about that right now.

rick

#3149 5 years ago

Excellent, Rick. Really looking forward to the machine when it's in my home!

A couple people on other threads from the Texas show mentioned a June date for start of production. Is that still what you expect or was that simply speculation?

Thanks!

#3150 5 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Ditto. Please clarify, update or upgrade software to colorize display, big difference. No go no buy. Great Job, looks great plays great!!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Montreal
There are 5463 posts in this topic. You are on page 63 of 110.

This topic is closed.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside