(Topic ID: 67443)

MMR PPS and Overall Update - Official PPS (Oct 21, 2013)

By PPS

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 5,463 posts
  • 470 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by pmWolf
  • Topic is favorited by 98 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 213 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image-77.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
pps.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Screenshot_2013-11-01-14-19-50.png
Screenshot_2013-09-14-17-45-13.png
yawn.jpg
Rick.jpg
42-3079-100.JPG
issue tissue.jpg
facepalmgroup.gif
elephant-in-the-room.jpg
math.gif
untitled.png

This topic is closed.

There are 5463 posts in this topic. You are on page 59 of 110.
#2901 5 years ago
Quoted from miggitymac:

But what if they really tie the room together?

Well played sir, well played.

#2902 5 years ago

I think people who put cliffys all over brand new games are nuts, mantis is different. cliffys are for saving games that are already wearing and you don't have much choice IMHO.

#2903 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I think people who put cliffys all over brand new games are nuts, mantis is different. cliffys are for saving games that are already wearing and you don't have much choice IMHO.

Not according to Cliffy. You don't want to put them on beat up spots they won't work as intended. I've always put Cliffys in shooter lane area it causes no damage and totally prevents wear in that area. IMO it's a no brainer to protect high wear areas before damage is done. Especially on high prices pins.

#2904 5 years ago
Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

Not according to Cliffy. You don't want to put them on beat up spots they won't work as intended. I've always put Cliffys in shooter lane area it causes no damage and totally prevents wear in that area. IMO it's a no brainer to protect high wear areas before damage is done. Especially on high prices pins.

To each their own. I'm not paranoid about scuffs on my game, would rather see them then big hunks of metal.

#2905 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

To each their own. I'm not paranoid about scuffs on my game, would rather see them then big hunks of metal.

Yup agree to disagree I can always do that. When people buy my pins they know they will be protected with little to no wear in typical wear areas. I think that could be why I usually have no problem selling when I need to.

#2906 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I think people who put cliffys all over brand new games are nuts

If I had put one on my NIB METLE's shooter lane when it was new, then there wouldn't have been a huge divot there after 500 plays before I sold it. Lesson learned.

#2907 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

If I had put one on my NIB METLE's shooter lane when it was new, then there wouldn't have been a huge divot there after 500 plays before I sold it. Lesson learned.

I didn't realize you had an LE before that Pro you traded to Evan.

#2908 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Some games really need it, though. Family Guy's scoop will start getting chewed up VERY fast without a Cliffy there.

#2909 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I didn't realize you had an LE before that Pro you traded to Evan.

No pro. I still don't know why they call it that. My Tron LE is fully protected however. The wood or something along the edges just isn't the same as it used to be.

#2910 5 years ago
Quoted from gprotein:

6 months ago, people were dreaming to have a nice MM for $8k, nevermind a NIB. A miracle happened, and it is happening. Now, people want white rubbers, plastic protectors, Cliffy protectors, different trim colors...etc included before delivery. Things sure changed.

can chicks in bikinis delivery mine?
i'm probably dropping out if that can't happen !

chicks in bikinis delivered the original MM's when they shipped.

#2911 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I love the Cliffy! All of my games have them even my NIB METLE and ACDC. Until this thread I didn't even know about a Mantis Protector?! They seem cool but no where near the options Cliff has.

#2912 5 years ago
Quoted from retired_user_101:

can chicks in bikinis delivery mine?

Will any of these chicks do? Make sure you use a Cliffy! Or Mantis if you prefer.
th-4.jpeg

#2913 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Will any of these chicks do? Make sure you use a Cliffy! Or Mantis if you prefer.

th-4.jpeg 28 KB

Yep any of them will do.

#2914 5 years ago
Quoted from Asylum:

Don't think for a second that Rick is making massive profits on this... Williams also helps set the price by the amount they require for licensing. Just look at what Joe is going through to make a licensed AFM topper.
The more hands in the cookie jar the more likely you end up with just crumbs.

That's definitely a fair argument to make. However, there's still a nice measure of profit floating out there. If I am wrong about this, then it would mean that every subsequent remake that Rick does will be at the 8K price point, meaning the reason for the 8k is the cost to PPS, and not because of the fact that it's a Medieval Madness.

We have seen people say on this thread that they can stomach the price point only because it's a pin which would otherwise call for a comparably high price in the wild. Any other remake (like Rollergames or <insert cheap pin here>, these customer are going to expect a drop in price.

#2915 5 years ago

um I don't think it's going too far out on a limb to say we're not going to see a rollergames remake.

also it's weird to me that people are so convinced that it's cheap to make a pinball machine when almost every company that tries ends up broke or near-broke.

#2916 5 years ago
Quoted from yotaxi125:

We have seen people say on this thread that they can stomach the price point only because it's a pin which would otherwise call for a comparably high price in the wild. Any other remake (like Rollergames or <insert cheap pin here>, these customer are going to expect a drop in price.

Which is why you don't need to worry about a Rollergames remake ever hitting the market.

#2917 5 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Which is why you don't need to worry about a Rollergames remake ever hitting the market.

Nice Rollergames for sale, $3,999.

SURFACE - WIN_20140115_213103.JPG
#2918 5 years ago

Well if that's the case MMR will likely be the first and last remake I purchase. I just don't think many pins have the appeal to sell for $8K plus shipping (in large numbers). I could definitely be wrong about that I know.

#2919 5 years ago

Dude gets another thumbs up. But I might be in for an under 4k BK2K remake. Oh never mind, mines plenty nice.

#2920 5 years ago

Between the cliffy and mantis protector sets, is the only protector they both offer the moat jump protector? Which one is better?

Is there a merlin cliffy-style protector that installs on the the top of the playfield around the saucer or is that area not prone to wear hence why there is no protector available?

#2921 5 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

um I don't think it's going too far out on a limb to say we're not going to see a Rollergames remake.
also it's weird to me that people are so convinced that it's cheap to make a pinball machine when almost every company that tries ends up broke or near-broke.

well, first of all, I think you get that I was just making a little joke w/ the Rollergames example (hopefully you got it hehe). but you do raise another good point in that a well-established company like Stern already has the scalability to be able to pump out a game at the 5k price point.

the real question is does it really cost 160% of the 5k price point for a startup to produce a game a) which has already had a release period, and b) for which demand was a certainty, meaning, yes people are going to buy every last one of these machines. i'm not saying i know how to produce pinball machines, but in all honesty i doubt it.

Perhaps a more realistic example might be more effective. would you seriously pay 8k for a NIB CFTBL, or Funhouse or Whirlwind etc?

If the answer is still yes, then please tell me what yer smokin' 'cause I want some, too

#2922 5 years ago

those aren't getting remade either.

#2923 5 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

those aren't getting remade either.

so then you believe they will remake MM, AFM, MB, and CC and call it a day (not that that's a bad strategy). you know there are other games.

#2924 5 years ago

i mean ... i don't know everything, but i doubt they are going to do more than one a year at most. those four would take them into 2018. who the heck knows what will be happening in the hobby by then.

#2925 5 years ago

i guess those are the questions that those failed pinball companies forgot to consider...

#2926 5 years ago
Quoted from S37VEN:

Between the cliffy and mantis protector sets, is the only protector they both offer the moat jump protector? Which one is better?
Is there a merlin cliffy-style protector that installs on the the top of the playfield around the saucer or is that area not prone to wear hence why there is no protector available?

They both offer a Merlin. Cliffy on top that covers the whole outline of the out hole. Mantis does the same but from the inside up to the playfield edge.

The mantis protector is very nice. It's laser etched to look like cobblestone. It also extends over the drawbridge hinge.

The mantis also has a moat popper protector. I'm not sure if cliff does.

#2927 5 years ago

For brand new play fields, you always want to use Mantis protectors if you can. They tend to fit inside the hole and not cover up any of the art while still protecting it.

Cliffys are great for most games, games that have seen some wear around the area, the Cliffy will cover the damage.

You wouldn't want a Cliffy on a brand new MM as it's brand new and Mantis has protectors available. I'm not playing a single game on mine until the protectors are in. (if they fit, I guess some people with repo play fields were having issues). The fit is the real reason we want these done at the factory, would be much easier for them than us.

Quoted from Skins:

They both offer a Merlin. Cliffy on top that covers the whole outline of the out hole. Mantis does the same but from the inside up to the playfield edge.

The mantis protector is very nice. It's laser etched to look like cobblestone. It also extends over the drawbridge hinge.

The mantis also has a moat popper protector. I'm not sure if cliff does.

#2928 5 years ago
Quoted from yotaxi125:

so then you believe they will remake MM, AFM, MB, and CC and call it a day (not that that's a bad strategy). you know there are other games.

Pinball Circus !

LTG : )™

#2929 5 years ago

OT: Who carries the castle protector that has the etched rock pattern on it and protects the castle door hinge as well as the wood under the swinging castle door?

#2930 5 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

OT: Who carries the castle protector that has the etched rock pattern on it and protects the castle door hinge as well as the wood under the swinging castle door?

That's the mantis protector kit...I think I got mine from Marco

#2931 5 years ago

Who carries the castle protector that has the etched rock pattern on it

Kerry Stair - Mantis Amusements.

#2932 5 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

For brand new play fields, you always want to use Mantis protectors if you can. They tend to fit inside the hole and not cover up any of the art while still protecting it.
Cliffys are great for most games, games that have seen some wear around the area, the Cliffy will cover the damage.
You wouldn't want a Cliffy on a brand new MM as it's brand new and Mantis has protectors available. I'm not playing a single game on mine until the protectors are in. (if they fit, I guess some people with repo play fields were having issues). The fit is the real reason we want these done at the factory, would be much easier for them than us.

Brother you're preaching to the choir. I just installed a full set of mantis protectors in my new mm playfield and stated about 10 posts ago that they should include them with mmr. I was just answering the guys question.

Quoted from Skins:

Having just swapped a mm playfield and installed a full mantis protector set, some pieces are not easily accessible in the cab in the service position. I think mantis protectors would be a great extra that a buyer could choose to pay for. That would be awesome for MMr buyers to be able to get these installed at the factory.

Quoted from Skins:

Not only that, Rick's idea is to improve on the original. Correcting flaws and difficiancies of the original. Seeing as this is marketed to the home collector, enhancements that extend the aesthetic appearance seems like a no brainer; such as mantis protectors.

#2933 5 years ago

Quoted from Skins:

#2934 5 years ago

Thanks guys!

#2935 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Kerry Stair - Mantis Amusements.

Hey Lloyd I just noticed you trademarked the smiley face by your initials... : )

#2936 5 years ago

Hey Lloyd I just noticed you trademarked the smiley face by your initials... : )

I tried using the smiley face once and I got a cease and desist from LTG. It was almost as scary as the ones Rick hands out.

#2937 5 years ago

I HATE white rubbers and would never put them on any of my pins. I know they have become the 'in' thing but IMO they are way too bouncy. There is a reason almost no manufacturers put white rubbers in their pins.

Yes there is, and the reason is that black rubbers never look dirty. Truth.

#2938 5 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

Yes there is, and the reason is that black rubbers never look dirty. Truth.

No I don't think that would be the reason.. Go back through RGP and see why SR says he puts black rubbers in his pins. Plus black rubbers actually make the playfield look much dirtier from the debris. That said, I'd rather have to clean more often then to play with bouncy whites on.

#2939 5 years ago

They started putting black on because it lasts longer. Hiding dirt was a minor benefit but durability on location was the main reason for switching.

#2940 5 years ago

No I don't think that would be the reason.. Go back through RGP and see why SR says he puts black rubbers in his pins. Plus black rubbers actually make the playfield look much dirtier from the debris. That said, I'd rather have to clean more often then to play with bouncy whites on

Have you tried the transparent rubbers? I think they have black-esque bounce but don't fray or leave any dirty debris! I'm not sure they'd look right on every game - but so far I put them on Avengers LE, STLE, and Tron LE and they look pretty awesome. I just picked up a POTC...gonna put them on that one too...I figure clear=water.

#2941 5 years ago

black rubber on huo tron

tron-rt-flip-rubber.jpg

#2942 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Have you tried the transparent rubbers? I think they have black-esque bounce but don't fray or leave any dirty debris! I'm not sure they'd look right on every game - but so far I put them on Avengers LE, STLE, and TRON LE and they look pretty awesome. I just picked up a POTC...gonna put them on that one too...I figure clear=water.

No but it sounds like it may be time for me to give 'em a shot though.

Quoted from retired_user_101:

black rubber on huo tron

Yup been there many times before myself. Another reason to look into the rubbers mentioned above.

#2943 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Have you tried the transparent rubbers? I think they have black-esque bounce but don't fray or leave any dirty debris! I'm not sure they'd look right on every game - but so far I put them on Avengers LE, STLE, and TRON LE and they look pretty awesome. I just picked up a POTC...gonna put them on that one too...I figure clear=water.

Let's see some pics...

#2944 5 years ago

I've got clear rubbers on my STTNG, I really like them. they pick up light and sort of almost glow. (sorry no pics yet)

#2945 5 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Let's see some pics...

+1 would love to see an example

#2946 5 years ago
Quoted from yotaxi125:

+2

#2947 5 years ago

+3

Quoted from yotaxi125:

#2948 5 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

I tried using the smiley face once and I got a cease and desist from LTG. It was almost as scary as the ones Rick hands out.

Really?!!!!

#2949 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Have you tried the transparent rubbers?

Quoted from Pimp77:

Let's see some pics...

gl_atlas_foil_side.jpg

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
€ 95.00
Lighting - Led
FlipperLED
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
There are 5463 posts in this topic. You are on page 59 of 110.

This topic is closed.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside