(Topic ID: 67443)

MMR PPS and Overall Update - Official PPS (Oct 21, 2013)

By PPS

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 5,463 posts
  • 470 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by pmWolf
  • Topic is favorited by 98 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-77.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
pps.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Screenshot_2013-11-01-14-19-50.png
Screenshot_2013-09-14-17-45-13.png
yawn.jpg
Rick.jpg
42-3079-100.JPG
issue tissue.jpg
facepalmgroup.gif
elephant-in-the-room.jpg
math.gif
untitled.png

This topic is closed.

There are 5,463 posts in this topic. You are on page 55 of 110.
#2701 10 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

i don't get it either ... bu

I'm in the same camp, but those special numbers seem to be important, but they are a real pain to administer and then can't wait for any number/ship mixups ... that will be wonderful if that occurs.

So what happens when someone buying game one doesn't want game two but wants the same number on game three, but the buyer of game two wants that number on game three also?

Seriously, isn't it a huge hassle to try and make an extra buck or two with something silly like this?

#2702 10 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

What are you going to do if you get to #3 or #4 and the guys that bought MMR aren't interested in that title? Just say "Oh well, guess we're making 15 LE's!"?

"Oh wait, that's right LEs are dumb, let's just build games!"

#2703 10 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

o what happens when someone buying game one doesn't want game two but wants the same number on game three, but the buyer of game two wants that number on game three also?

I would assume the buyer of game 1 would lose their right to that numbered game if they don't purchase the next game in line!!! So buyer of game 1 has no right to the same numbered game for game 3 if they don't purchase game 2.

#2704 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I'm okay with that, as long as they don't announce a LE version then change their mind before production starts, or because a bunch of people are pissing and moaning that they're paying the same for the standard because they didn't get in on the LE.

By all means, standards only and save me a few bucks and give me a better chance to own these games.

#2705 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I've never been a fan of the LE thing. That seems to be where the dissention on these forums really started to manifest with the whole "my games better than yours" mentality. It brings out childishness here. The MMR announcement is a perfect case of this. I believe if PPS was just building an unlimited run of remakes (no LE), much of the bickering and headaches would have never come about (sure there would still be some). In that case you simply have the choice then to get one early or later, either way its the same game.

#2706 10 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

By all means, standards only and save me a few bucks and give me a better chance to own these games.

Where has there ever been a statement made that standards would save anyone any money? The precedent has been set that folks will pay the same $$ for the standard, where would be his incentive to lower the price on future titles?

#2707 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

One game, one price. Let the owner put any number they want on it. Let them pimp it out any way they see fit. Wouldn't that get more games into the marketplace quicker?

#2708 10 years ago

This really isn't that difficult guys. I'm in on MMRLE. When game 2 is announced, I will get a call/email from who I bought it from to see if I want game 2. I'll probably have a week or two to put down a deposit. If I say yes, then the number of the MMRLE I bought comes out of the available queue. I guess the drawback for some would be that you wouldn't have the choice to get a different number if you wanted?

I think the week or two from announcement to when the available queue is offered is a good thing. It gives people who may want one some extra time to think about if they really want it or to line up finances, etc.

#2709 10 years ago

You guys have waaaaaaay too much time on your hands....

#2710 10 years ago

LOL Rick, after reading the rest of the responses, I take back my comment.

Calling it a logistical nightmare was a huge understatement, lol.

I say do away with the serial numbers, be a trendsetter.

#2711 10 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

So what happens when someone buying game one doesn't want game two but wants the same number on game three, but the buyer of game two wants that number on game three also?

That's what I wonder about.

#2712 10 years ago

As the manufacturer, I think you have to first ask yourself how many additional sales do you expect to get by letting people keep their machine number? Then second, are the potential additional sales (if any) worth the additional overhead?

Actually, I think those questions should have been considered (perhaps they were) when people were allowed to choose their game number for MMr.

Personally, there are a few games numbers I would consider special (#1, #7, #1000, anniversary date, etc...). If I had one of those numbers I would want to keep it but having a special number or not will not influence my purchase of a game.

#2713 10 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

As the manufacturer, I think you have to first ask yourself how many additional sales do you expect to get by letting people keep their machine number? Then second, are the potential additional sales (if any) worth the additional overhead?
Actually, I think those questions should have been considered (perhaps they were) when people were allowed to choose their game number for MMr.
Personally, there are a few games numbers I would consider special (#1, #7, #1000, anniversary date, etc...). If I had one of those numbers I would want to keep it but having a special number or not will not influence my purchase of a game.

My point is, it could lead to nothing but a cluster f. If Rick doesn't mind dealing with said cluster f and he makes some additional money by doing this, more power to him. Same goes for the LE's and all the trim options.

Me, I'd make the game and sell the game. You get what you get and I'm able to keep my sanity.

#2714 10 years ago

I have Illinois Pinball BBB number 16. Special numbers didn't cost anything extra, they were just available to whoever asked first for that specific number (although the first several numbers weren't available as they were reserved for Gene's family and close friends). I got number 16 because I got my deposit in fast. There was a mailing years later looking for people to preorder Capcom Kingpin that said BBB owners could be guaranteed the same number Kingpin as their BBB. Price on Kingpin was $7500 with 150 preorders needed in order to proceed. Production did not happen, so it doesn't look like they got the required 150. No wonder Rick at PPS didn't expect 1,000 MMrLEs at $8K each to sell out in a day at Expo.

#2715 10 years ago
Quoted from viper001:

Where has there ever been a statement made that standards would save anyone any money? The precedent has been set that folks will pay the same $$ for the standard, where would be his incentive to lower the price on future titles?

I'm sorry, is this a JJP discussion thread? Or did we get lost somewhere?

The incentive is to sell more games.

#2716 10 years ago

I have to agree with a lot of what has already been said...if there is a second remake, scrap the LE version and just make one quality pin that is available to everyone. If you insist on an LE, then there needs to be some good LE features, and a standard version should cost less than the LE. That is a big fail in my opinion with MMR...that the LE and Standard are the same price...doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me...

#2717 10 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

My point is, it could lead to nothing but a cluster f. If Rick doesn't mind dealing with said cluster f and he makes some additional money by doing this, more power to him. Same goes for the LE's and all the trim options.

I don't think the number thing has anything to do with income to PPS from the number itself, it's about trying to earn customer loyalty by doing all the little things that make people feel special. Why do full service restaurants exist? Customers are perfectly capable of ordering food at a counter and bringing it to their table... and wait staff are hardly paid well for the effort to do so, but customers obviously appreciate that extra attention.

For me the LE thing is an unfortunate segmentation of what would otherwise be a unified game experience, yet one can't overlook the amount of "sight unseen" purchases it brings in, and trophy-like treatment these games are given by the customers who get one. This, of course, ignores the fact that in the end, all pinball machines have limited runs, and in the case of Stern (and I predict, PPS), ironically there seems to more LE models manufactured than Pro models.

#2718 10 years ago

How about a reasonable priced second pin, standard edition. Some people have more money to burn than others, so they can ring Rick with any special requests e.g. gold trim, triple clear coat, numbered plaques, whatever. He gives them a quote for their "individual" LE, and they decide how much they want this.
Gary Stern was saying Aaron Spellings wife wanted a LE pinball for him only, and paid $250K for it, a one off. For us mortals, $6-7K for a machine is fine without waiting for more "elite"machines.
Disclaimer - i have a MMrLE ordered, but one LE will do me.

#2719 10 years ago

this le garbage is getting old fast. one model, one price, just do it right and the sales will follow. who created this pretentious shit? and why perpetuate it? there are more le versions of games then standards in many titles.

Le's are for suckers

#2720 10 years ago
Quoted from vex:

Le's are for suckers

Just call me El Suckundo!

#2721 10 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Just call me El Suckundo!

Hold on Ted let me get out my translator

#2723 10 years ago
Quoted from dendoc:

How about a reasonable priced second pin, standard edition. Some people have more money to burn than others, so they can ring Rick with any special requests e.g. gold trim, triple clear coat, numbered plaques, whatever. He gives them a quote for their "individual" LE, and they decide how much they want this.
Gary Stern was saying Aaron Spellings wife wanted a LE pinball for him only, and paid $250K for it, a one off. For us mortals, $6-7K for a machine is fine without waiting for more "elite"machines.
Disclaimer - i have a MMrLE ordered, but one LE will do me.

I still like the pin2k concept to keep costs and space requirements down. If PPS incorporated that into their design would be bomb. Nice MMr cabinet with 4 or 5 repro play fields/games at half the cost.

#2724 10 years ago

Are people arguing about LEs that don't exist yet? And on how a LE ordering system works that also does not exist?

#2725 10 years ago

it's a good thing we don't do things only if the majority of pinsiders agree as there would be very little to do ... lol

#2726 10 years ago

Rick -In response to which game to do next if done....MB
Purely from a money making stand point -MB demand is equal to if not greater than AFM or CC.
Merchandise wise it would reach well beyond pinball - shirts - other like merchandise.
Guys that want a machine would buy > 1000 and those that dont want the machine would love cool MB stuff.

Over all money maker machine and beyond MB
AFM only from machine stand point if thats the goal, 2k machine run.
If you want to just run under 2k, if that is a workable model:

CC like it or not is an unfinished machine that has stalled in the resale market even with under 1k out there.
TOTAN is another just ripe for the pickings but needs code work all other major parts have are out or can be made easy.

*****Now if you really want to kill it - Funhouse with DMD - that would be a 4k run of machines easy and merchandise beyond that would be just gravy on top. This to me would put PP on the map as a true player in the market place. It would be a remake yet new and no Williams name just PP. All major parts are available now or could be rerun (PFs).

#2727 10 years ago
Quoted from vex:

this le garbage is getting old fast. one model, one price, just do it right and the sales will follow. who created this pretentious shit? and why perpetuate it? there are more le versions of games then standards in many titles.
Le's are for suckers

Tell that to the guys who bought Tron LE, BIBLE, LTBRLE, LOTRLE, WOZLE. You spend your dime and you take your chances. If you come out ahead it offsets for the depreciation you usually get in your standard games. Free pinball is a win as far as I'm concerned. Sometimes you might even come out ahead. And they are easier to resell. So thats why it is perpetuated.

#2728 10 years ago

if the next pin is awesome, i would totally dig an LE and have a matching #.

simpsons-mob-torches.jpgsimpsons-mob-torches.jpg

#2729 10 years ago

I plan to get all of the possibly upcoming remakes, and think it would be cool if the "number" on all mine matched (the collector in me...plus I like organization). Matching numbers wouldn't truly affect my final decision to purchase a pin, but it would be a cool perk that I would opt for if it's offered.

#2730 10 years ago

I am interested in remakes of AFM and a CCC compatible CC.

Don't care too much about matching numbers, because the number I picked for MMR really only has significance to me from an MM standpoint (97, the year of the original release), but I would much prefer to do away with plaque numbers after MMR (and WOZ/TH/STLE).

I think the whole LE thing has gotten a bit silly. If a manufacturer is going to make a "bling" or extra feature version for the home/collector market, fine. But don't have more than two models - one for a base/operator and one for a home user/collector.

#2731 10 years ago

I have a Hulk LE and a Star Trek LE, and I couldn't even tell you what #s they were, and they definitely don't match, so I don't need my MMRLE # to match those either, or any future PPS LEs I might by to match. Just my opinion.

#2732 10 years ago

LEs sell games, period. It encourages people to place their money down early. If Rick or any other manufacturer wants to do it, who cares. Buy a standard edition if it irks you.

#2733 10 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

it's a good thing we don't do things only if the majority of pinsiders agree as there would be very little to do ... lol

Variety in pinball preference is one of the things that makes it so interesting. Personally, I like the idea of a matching # on my MMRLE and AFMRLE. While certainly not critical it would just be one more thing to add the growing list of cool stuff for the LE owners. Thanks for all your efforts Rick.

#2734 10 years ago
Quoted from vex:

Le's are for suckers

"LE is the new poo, so take a big whiff."

You're kidding yourself if you think it'll change anytime soon. Why? Not because of the manufacturers, but because of the fawning BUYERS tripping over each other to buy them (sometimes YEaRS before delivery). So "who created this pretentious shit"? We did.

You have all the powers:
Buy one..... Or not.

#2735 10 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

You have all the powers:
Buy one..... Or not.

That's it. End of story. Rick or Jack or Gary don't force people to buy anything. And people don't force them to make it. Some people want to pay a little extra to say they have something limited.

#2736 10 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

Don't have more than two models: one for a base/operator and one for a home user/collector.

Especially if the differences are more than just cosmetic (and more than an easily added shaker).

#2737 10 years ago
Quoted from NJGecko:

That's it. End of story. Rick or Jack or Gary don't force people to buy anything. And people don't force them to make it. Some people want to pay a little extra to say they have something limited.

Stop making sense! These threads would be almost empty.

#2738 10 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Stop making sense! These threads would be almost empty

Isn't that the truth!

#2739 10 years ago
Quoted from NJGecko:

Actually, my reason for paying more for an LE would be because I like the additional features that it has and/or I like the way it looks the best.

My preference would be for the manufacturer to make an unlimited amount of that model and sell them at a lower price!

#2740 10 years ago

But a true collector resides in Europe and imports his LE pinballs from USA and can this way pay real_money_ for his pins (add on top shipping costs and VAT 24 %)

#2741 10 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

You've got the idea. A single vision tends to be more cohesive than majority-based opinions.

#2742 10 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

A single vision tends to be more cohesive than majority-based opinions.

So true. To be fair though, Rick did ask for those opinions.

#2743 10 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

Actually, my reason for paying more for an LE would be because I like the additional features that it has and/or I like the way it looks the best.
My preference would be for the manufacturer to make an unlimited amount of that model and sell them at a lower price!

LOL, well my preference is for them to give them away free to us in an unlimited amount.

#2744 10 years ago

I'd be in for CCR. That's Cactus Canyon Remake, not the old rock band. CCR would need to come with CCC features.

#2745 10 years ago
Quoted from Toasterdog:

LEs sell games, period. It encourages people to place their money down early. If Rick or any other manufacturer wants to do it, who cares. Buy a standard edition if it irks you.

Personally I think the luster is wearing off the LE's for some buyers. Some good debate if Star Trek warranted the +3k on a LE package. WOZ - I wouldn't do a JJP LE again as the game play is the same on all models. On that note I don't like the idea of cutting something out of a game and then charging 75% of the crippled game to get the features back in again on an "LE"........ Or go ahead and do it on the LE's, but put the actual true cost on BOM in to get the features back, call it a premium without the "number" and LE card and I'd pay the difference for sure. And again personally think I might be done with the LE NIB regardless. Too much depreciation. Unless its a game I'd live with forever (or +5 years) with 100% certainty - like maybe Muppetts. Not much else right now I'd even consider in that category. I don't need a game to appreciate ever, but am realizing with all the games coming out now there is no longer a "rush" and for me to take a big hit on losing value in the first 18 to 24 months makes no sense.

And last thought - the more money the LE's make the less "limited" they're truly going to become. That's what I'd do if I was JJP and Stern and whoever else. They abuse us as much as we allow them to.

patience grasshopper

#2746 10 years ago

Rick, It would be great to have the option of adding an audio connection jack for headphone direct from the factory, have you thought about this?

#2747 10 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

LOL, well my preference is for them to give them away free to us in an unlimited amount.

this isn't a bad idea, but why can't they also pay our mortgages? what are they, greedy?

#2748 10 years ago

I am totally pumped. I think I'm going to receive my WOZ, Predator and MMR all on the same day. My head is going to explode!!

#2749 10 years ago

Holy crap, Hobbypinball -- The Muppets would be an amazing theme for a pin. For the love of Kermit, won't someone make this happen?

#2750 10 years ago

+1

Quoted from Paul_from_Gilroy:

I'd be in for CCR. That's Cactus Canyon Remake, not the old rock band. CCR would need to come with CCC features.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 64.99
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 225.00
Cabinet - Other
FlyLand Designs

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 130.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinwize.com

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 9.95
$ 35.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 129.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 5,463 posts in this topic. You are on page 55 of 110.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mmr-pps-and-overall-update-official-pps-oct-21-2013/page/55 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.