(Topic ID: 67443)

MMR PPS and Overall Update - Official PPS (Oct 21, 2013)

By PPS

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 5,463 posts
  • 470 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by pmWolf
  • Topic is favorited by 98 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-77.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
pps.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Screenshot_2013-11-01-14-19-50.png
Screenshot_2013-09-14-17-45-13.png
yawn.jpg
Rick.jpg
42-3079-100.JPG
issue tissue.jpg
facepalmgroup.gif
elephant-in-the-room.jpg
math.gif
untitled.png

This topic is closed.

There are 5,463 posts in this topic. You are on page 50 of 110.
#2451 10 years ago

I have the budget ... you can't get away from this that easy Lloyd ... lol

Quoted from LTG:

I don't think I'll have the budget for it.
It would be funny.
LTG : )

#2452 10 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

All we need is a blue service hat with PPS Emblem, Blue zippered service jacket with a LTG : ) Name Tag, red bow tie, white shirt, and me.

#2453 10 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

Sounds like a plan

make-it-so-captain.jpgmake-it-so-captain.jpg
#2455 10 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

Rick I like the way you operate
Good stuff!

#2456 10 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

ebay.com link » Usaf Us Air Force Officer Dress Blue Uniform Service Visor Cap Hat Bancroft
The hat.

what size head do you have?

#2458 10 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

what size head do you have?

The one in the link will fit.

#2460 10 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

ebay.com link » Red Pre Tied Mens Bow Tie
The bow tie.

Get one for prada too.

#2461 10 years ago

ebay.com link: NEW MENS WHITE SHORT SLEEVE DRESS SHIRT ALL SIZES

The shirt, 2XL

Disclaimer : Let her rip Rick !

#2462 10 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

thumbs up if you want me to try to force ltg to get a picture with this outfit on !

Will your karma whoring know no boundaries sir?!

(I upvoted)

#2463 10 years ago

i didn't know there were rules ... about this, I'm not sure I'm a karma threat ... lol

#2464 10 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

btw ... i had 2 calls today per my previous Maytag post!!!! Thanks for great questions and conversations and I hope I answered all questions you had ... refreshingly positive ... I still am waiting for the ones with great concerns to call me though ...

Really Rick? The first time you made this comment I thought ..hmm. Now you just seem a little cocky. I'm on the fence with purchasing a standard, but reading through this thread makes me hold back. You act as though you think have such a fantastic product that your doing us a favor. Maybe the 1000 preorders in one night has gone to your head? This is coming from a long time customer of yours.

#2465 10 years ago

i'm not sure how soliciting people to actually call me and talk to me is a bad thing ... in fact I had 3 calls today based on my post with people asking questions and me answering their questions ... so I'm sorry that engaging that way comes off as cocky ...

#2466 10 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

'm not sure how soliciting people to actually call me and talk to me is a bad thing ... in fact I had 3 calls today based on my post with people asking questions and me answering their questions ... so I'm sorry that engaging that way comes off as cocky ...

Seems as though you are blowing off anybody who may have issues or concerns if they can't make a phone call. This is a forum and we all know the bad and good that can come of it. However my comment was based on this whole thread in general. Not a big deal and no I won't call you to discuss

#2467 10 years ago

Most anyone should be able to make a phone call. I think there's alot lost in the translation by posting - well known and well documented. My experience from pinball as well as many other areas says it's much much better to talk to people than to try to have a discussion in text especially on a forum. But you can fire away here any questions as you like. I think I'm pretty accessible and pretty open about things.

#2468 10 years ago

nevermind

#2469 10 years ago
Quoted from PappyBoyington:

Really Rick? The first time you made this comment I thought ..hmm. Now you just seem a little cocky. I'm on the fence with purchasing a standard, but reading through this thread makes me hold back. You act as though you think have such a fantastic product that your doing us a favor. Maybe the 1000 preorders in one night has gone to your head? This is coming from a long time customer of yours.

Squelching inaccurate speculative comments is cocky? Wouldn't you respond too if you were building a product and someone made those comments you knew were wrong? Rick expecting high quality is cocky? Giving out his phone number and offering to take the time to talk to anyone about concerns with the pin is cocky? If Jack or Gary would be more involved here (in Gary's case... at all) maybe we wouldn't have epic threads of ENDLESS speculation about WOZLE build delays or MET code updates.

If you think he has a cocky attitude and it turns you off, don't buy it.

And yes, he is doing us a favor by making the MMr... at least I think so.

#2470 10 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

Wayne and Gene's game were not 100% BOM duplicate ... where did you come up with that ...

I was at Gene's place when he was building BBB and he showed me the boxes of NOS boards he was going to use in them. I admit he made a few playfield changes but the OS and platform were as 100% as you can get.

And the 30 or so troll target assemblies that Wayne managed to build with everyone's money looked pretty spot on as well, but admittedly I didn't personally inspect the BOM on those...

As I have been saying all along Rick on the forum and offline in email with you, good luck with the project. Seems like you and your experienced team have everything covered.

#2471 10 years ago

Seems as though you are blowing off anybody who may have issues or concerns if they can't make a phone call. This is a forum and we all know the bad and good that can come of it. However my comment was based on this whole thread in general. Not a big deal and no I won't call you to discuss

So your concern is significant enough to trash them (with relative anonymity) on web, but NOT quite important enough to pick up the phone for real answers...... Mmmmmhmmm. Got it.

Btw, I'm sure others are equally "outraged" by Ricks willingness to answer questions/concerns head-on vs the crickets we here from other manufacturers..... Damn over-communicators!

#2472 10 years ago

Wow this is amazing ... this is really ridiculous IMO. You've put Rick in a no-win situation - he offers to personally field calls with any questions or concerns, and somehow that is turned into a negative? Everyone who uses the internet knows that it's MUCH easier, and faster, to call someone and talk through things than to go back-and-forth on a forum, where you can't judge the tone of the message. Just like in your instance where you think Rick is somehow cocky based on a post - that could completely change if you talked in person.

The person that calls Rick also has the option of posting the answers they received - why does it have to be a one-way street?

And who can't make a phone call? Is there someone on this forum that literally is completely unable to make a phone call?

I personally don't get the tone of cockiness at all - I *do* get that tone from other unnamed, relatively new manufacturers. And don't confuse confidence with cockiness - you've got to have confidence that you are going to build a great machine, or else you won't, as with anything worth doing. I've seen nothing but transparency and an over-willingness to communicate - something awfully refreshing. But I guess there always has to be "the one" that, no matter what you do, will find a way to make it into a negative.

#2473 10 years ago
Quoted from Eryeal:

Wow this is amazing ... this is really ridiculous IMO. You've put Rick in a no-win situation - he offers to personally field calls with any questions or concerns, and somehow that is turned into a negative? Everyone who uses the internet knows that it's MUCH easier, and faster, to call someone and talk through things than to go back-and-forth on a forum, where you can't judge the tone of the message. Just like in your instance where you think Rick is somehow cocky based on a post - that could completely change if you talked in person.
The person that calls Rick also has the option of posting the answers they received - why does it have to be a one-way street?
And who can't make a phone call? Is there someone on this forum that literally is completely unable to make a phone call?
I personally don't get the tone of cockiness at all - I *do* get that tone from other unnamed, relatively new manufacturers. And don't confuse confidence with cockiness - you've got to have confidence that you are going to build a great machine, or else you won't, as with anything worth doing. I've seen nothing but transparency and an over-willingness to communicate - something awfully refreshing. But I guess there always has to be "the one" that, no matter what you do, will find a way to make it into a negative.

Agreed.

#2474 10 years ago

The Maytag repairman reference is cute but here's hoping comments like that don't eventually bite you in the ass, Rick. I think most remember Jacks comments about never releasing a game with unfinished code.

#2475 10 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

The Maytag repairman reference is cute but here's hoping comments like that don't eventually bite you in the ass, Rick. I think most remember Jacks comments about never releasing a game with unfinished code.

eh the maytag thing wasn't being cocky about his game's quality - he was just saying he wasn't getting any (well, many) calls, like in the old maytag commercial.

#2476 10 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

My experience from pinball as well as many other areas says it's much much better to talk to people than to try to have a discussion in text especially on a forum.

There are a lot of Mr. Hyde sitting in front of their computer or driving in their car out there becoming quite often Dr. Jekyll when you talk to them in other situations

#2477 10 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

eh the maytag thing wasn't being cocky about his game's quality - he was just saying he wasn't getting any (well, many) calls, like in the old maytag commercial.

Gotcha. I took it to mean there will be no repair calls. And we all know how well that went for Jack too.

#2478 10 years ago

Sterns break, JJP games break, and PPS games will break. Nobody is saying it's not going to break, even with these Maytag references.

It's how they handle the situation when the game breaks that's important. I guess we'll find out.

#2479 10 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

So your concern is significant enough to trash them (with relative anonymity) on web, but NOT quite important enough to pick up the phone for real answers...... Mmmmmhmmm. Got it.

I thought the very same thing . . . Help me help you.

#2480 10 years ago

i can't wait to get mine

Tron is going to be jealous, fur sure...

#2481 10 years ago

I've been collecting, repairing, and restoring pinballs for quite some time. I have owned some of the most collected pins out there, and I work as a technician for an amusement operator full time. I just wanted to say that I think Rick is doing us a great service by keeping us informed about the progress of the MMR project. I'm not sure why there is any negativity in this forum being directed towards him, as his transparency and willingness to answer questions has been unmatched by any one I've ever encountered in this business. He's even offered his cell phone number so we can call and ask him about any concerns we might have with the MMR. I am one of the LE buyers, and it seems like you guys have your act together and I expect you will produce a machine that is going to make a lot of people happy. Rick- God bless you and everyone working on the MMR project!

#2482 10 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

Btw, I'm sure others are equally "outraged" by Ricks willingness to answer questions/concerns head-on vs the crickets we here from other manufacturers..... Damn over-communicators!

Quoted from Eryeal:

I personally don't get the tone of cockiness at all - I *do* get that tone from other unnamed, relatively new manufacturers. And don't confuse confidence with cockiness - you've got to have confidence that you are going to build a great machine, or else you won't, as with anything worth doing.

You guys are right. Rick, I am sorry for trying to read something into your comments that wasn't there. Please forgive my moment of stupidity. Thanks for not calling me names guys.

#2483 10 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

It's how they handle the situation when the game breaks that's important. I guess we'll find out.

We already know.

PPS is putting in place now (help ticket system, phone access, factory technical support, etc). Rick posted here and on the Blog.

#2484 10 years ago

here's what I see...

Q: how is the development and efforts being proven reliable and on target
A: everyone involved is doing their best to make this a success

While the answer may be true.. that doesn't really qualify that the concern is addressed. No one is doubting the motivation or intentions of PPS/CG - but intentions do not guarantee results. That robust projects go through those iterative phases of development and test. Not to catch what you intended to be.. but to catch what you did not expect.

Somehow people questioning design choices or future scheduling is being equated to personally attacking Rick/PPS/etc.

It's one thing to say 'we know this path to be better' - it's something entirely different to have actual test data to back it up. Pinball history is litered with changes people made not because they were cheap.. but because they thought this was better or an insignificant change.. many of which failed or had new unintended consequences that make the choice inferior to the 'tried and true'.

I've seen far more attacks on people who are skeptical than those skeptics attacking others. The sad thing is the ammo people are using is faith.

I personally am happy that Rick/PPS have been flexible to date with the deposits and sharing info along the way. I'm not sold yet that all the changes are 100% for the better.. but if I want to buy the game 'new' and not wait for it to be proven in the field.. that is a choice I have to make for myself as a buyer.

#2485 10 years ago

Here's what I see:

Happy Hour started early somewhere....

Sorry, that was a bit difficult to read....

#2486 10 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

Here's what I see:

it's always happy hour somewhere

#2487 10 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Somehow people questioning design choices or future scheduling is being equated to personally attacking Rick/PPS/etc.

This. After buying a BBB and a WOZ, experiencing all the ups and downs of those projects, and seeing Wayne fail, I'm not quaffing the MMR kool-aid til the game is done. Maybe some sips here and there... Nothing personal at all (despite the best efforts of some others here to turn it that way with personal attacks). Just normal wait-and-see approach based from plenty of experience. I'm confident PPS will get it done, but that doesn't mean it *is* done yet.

If this thread isn't for discussing the project, what is it for? Isn't there an official, locked thread for PPS updates?

#2488 10 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

btw ... i had 2 calls today per my previous Maytag post!!!! Thanks for great questions and conversations and I hope I answered all questions you had ... refreshingly positive ... I still am waiting for the ones with great concerns to call me though ...

I thought about calling just to shoot the breeze, FWIW. LOL.

Actually, I may call you, because I'm wondering about a non-MM part that colors do not *appear* to be accurate on the PPS/BAA site..

#2489 10 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

Here's what I see:

Difficult?

Most anyone with a high school education should readily grasp what he wrote. It was articulate, to the point, spot on and without insult or malice.

#2490 10 years ago

Rick, if I call you can I beat your ear about reproducing the transparent targets for Medusa and Elektra..........again???

#2491 10 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

Rick, if I call you can I beat your ear about reproducing the transparent targets for Medusa and Elektra..........again???

No, he is too busy thinking about how to make the bk2k repro playfields the best they can be.

#2492 10 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

It's more so some claiming to know where the project is at and how much time would be needed to ship out a quality working machine. Questioning is fine but indicating that PPS is somehow skipping steps or insisting that their timeline is way off without any information to back it up what so ever is another thing.

Quoted from metallik:

If this thread isn't for discussing the project, what is it for? Isn't there an official, locked thread for PPS updates?

Discussing does not mean you or any other party taking over the thread. You can say your piece without trying to take over the direction of the entire thread man. Stating a stance over and over does not really add to the discussion it just adds to the number of times others need to read it over and over again. Your welcome to disagree but that is not going to change my stance on preventing members from trying to take over or troll threads on Pinside.

#2493 10 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

No, he is too busy thinking about how to make the bk2k repro playfields the best they can be.

damn it!

#2494 10 years ago
Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

Discussing does not mean you or any other party taking over the thread. You can say your piece without trying to take over the direction of the entire thread man. Stating a stance over and over does not really add to the discussion it just adds to the number of times others need to read it over and over again.

Except that I have done none of that. I've posted maybe a couple dozen times (if that) in this 2400+ post thread, generally responding to points made by others. Please don't try to insinuate I'm trying to "take over" the thread when it's simply not true I own an MM, my boyfriend has an MMR on order, and I have experience with projects like this. I have a right to express my opinion just as anyone else - I have not called anyone names or insulted anyone, nor broken any forum rules. Just because you disagree with what I say does not give you the right to tell me to stop participating here.

#2495 10 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

We already know.
PPS is putting in place now (help ticket system, phone access, factory technical support, etc). Rick posted here and on the Blog.

JJP's support system is supposed to be the best also, but I've heard numerous stories of things not going so well. I'm sure Rick will do his best but we have no idea if that'll be enough just yet.

#2496 10 years ago

omg brian ... nothing will be enough I guess ... I hear numerous stories about everyone's support ... what's the point ...

#2497 10 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

JJP's support system is supposed to be the best also, but I've heard numerous stories of things not going so well. I'm sure Rick will do his best but we have no idea if that'll be enough just yet.

jalpert posted : It's how they handle the situation when the game breaks that's important. I guess we'll find out.

To which I responded : We already know.

Never was any mention anything being the best. Just that things are in motion to have support.

No system is perfect. The main thing is if a person has an issue, they can reach someone who cares, and will work hard to resolve an issue.

Disclaimer : I'm the guy that cares.

#2498 10 years ago

It's more so some claiming to know where the project is at and how much time would be needed to ship out a quality working machine. Questioning is fine but indicating that PPS is somehow skipping steps or insisting that their timeline is way off without any information to back it up what so ever is another thing.

Well.. when entire segments of the normal process aren't present in the discussion.. that is somehow taboo to mention? Simple point.. field testing. Even manufacturers who were building on all proven platform tech used it - yet there was no mention of it from PPS. There was talk of 'approval -> manufacturing -> shipment' - all book ended by a promised shipping window. Now, there is talk about prototypes being out there to ensure people are comfortable with the game. That wasn't part of the conversation earlier, nor does it necessarily address the concerns about the durability/serviceability of the new platform components. This isn't people with an ax to grind, but legitimate discussion around new product (and technologies) coming to market and being sold us. I'm happy that Rick is here and willing to address concerns that people have raised.

This isn't people coming out of left field and saying they know what PPS has done or not. This is educated discussion based on information being shared and common sense deduction like... there needs to be days on the calendar between two dates if something that takes time is supposed to happen.

You can say your piece without trying to take over the direction of the entire thread man. Stating a stance over and over does not really add to the discussion it just adds to the number of times others need to read it over and over again. Your welcome to disagree but that is not going to change my stance on preventing members from trying to take over or troll threads on Pinside.

Legitimately - I didn't get that from viper's posts and actually found people trying to shout him down (you included) to be far more off topic and repetitive. I found his posts to be bringing new elements to the discussion and with each post... not repetitive trolling like other 'opinions' that the site allows people to inject and derail threads. Just look at the responses to viper when people try to shout him out.. what are the responses based on ? Nothing but 'what do you know' 'you don't know' 'they are going to make the best they can' - basically just trying to discredit the question rather than answering it or even considering it.

That doesn't mean I agree with all he has posted - or how he went about it - but you should be able to look past the delivery if you want to consider the content itself.

Case in point... the last point about fiscal incentive and what does WMS legal approval really qualify anyway. Legitimate discussion topics.. don't agree with his delivery... but everyone honed in on that vs considering the point.

#2499 10 years ago

guys ... there is no fiscal incentive for wms ... hate to break the news to you ... so how is it then a legitimate discussion topic ... oy.

#2500 10 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

guys ... there is no fiscal incentive for wms ... hate to break the news to you ... so how is it then a legitimate discussion topic ... oy.

Its NONE of our business... but it is a curious and seemingly odd contractual arrangement with regards to licensing, approvals, economic incentives, etc. Again, none of our business! carry on. Look forward to the discussions regarding trim options, the "LE other", shipping dates, etc!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 130.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinwize.com

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 225.00
Cabinet - Other
FlyLand Designs

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
$ 64.99
$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 44.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 12.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Decals
Creative Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 24.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 16.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

There are 5,463 posts in this topic. You are on page 50 of 110.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mmr-pps-and-overall-update-official-pps-oct-21-2013/page/50 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.