(Topic ID: 67443)

MMR PPS and Overall Update - Official PPS (Oct 21, 2013)

By PPS

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 5,463 posts
  • 470 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by pmWolf
  • Topic is favorited by 98 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-77.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
pps.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Screenshot_2013-11-01-14-19-50.png
Screenshot_2013-09-14-17-45-13.png
yawn.jpg
Rick.jpg
42-3079-100.JPG
issue tissue.jpg
facepalmgroup.gif
elephant-in-the-room.jpg
math.gif
untitled.png

This topic is closed.

There are 5,463 posts in this topic. You are on page 42 of 110.
#2051 10 years ago

I looked maybe a mix. but I do see 44 sockets.

#2052 10 years ago

Rick, will I have to pull off that huge board to fix one bad led or is there a easier workaround? Just looks like a royal pain to a novice like myself.

#2053 10 years ago
Quoted from starbase:

Rick, will I have to pull off that huge board to fix one bad led or is there a easier workaround? Just looks like a royal pain to a novice like myself.

I believe they are doubling up on LEDs, so if one goes out you won't see it.

LTG : )

#2054 10 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

I believe they are doubling up on LEDs, so if one goes out you won't see it.
LTG : )

that's pretty neat, but i think i'd rather be able to replace them myself, what if both blow

#2055 10 years ago

these are the 30,000+ hour high reliability LEDs ... they're not light incandescent bulbs that blow ... that would be same concern about changing the LED's on your printer or your router or your cable modem, or a gazillion other things ...

#2056 10 years ago

smd led's are easy. I've been doing them on xbox/ps3 controllers for years. If you can solder you will have no problem.

#2057 10 years ago

Remember when we all used to replace the SMD LEDs in our cell phones to bling them out and make the screens light up blue?

These LEDs will be much larger and easier to work with!

#2058 10 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

these are the 30,000+ hour high reliability LEDs ... they're not light incandescent bulbs that blow ... that would be same concern about changing the LED's on your printer or your router or your cable modem, or a gazillion other things ...

Yea, but those things do not experience the same degree of shock and vibration that a pinball machine experiences...

Jaz

#2059 10 years ago

Surface mount components aren't hard or expensive to fix. Just different. Not a big deal. If someone can't do them at home, pulling the board and taking them to a shop should only be a few bucks.

Quoted from Jazman:

Yea, but those things do not experience the same degree of shock and vibration that a pinball machine experiences...

Jaz

#2060 10 years ago

I have a lot of LEDs on my car - tail lights, etc. I think road vibration has to be worse than a pin sees.

#2061 10 years ago
Quoted from Jazman:

Jaz

I think you are wrong about this.

SMD LEDs are almost indestructible under a wide range of uses.

#2062 10 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

I think you are wrong about this.
SMD LEDs are almost indestructible under a wide range of uses.

Not saying I know much about the issue, but I am less concerned with the actual LEDs "blowing" than I am with the boards' on which the LEDs are socketed (or whatever is the correct term) requiring repair/maintenance.

I should say, though, that believe it or not, I have never built a pinball machine (yet?).

(still super pumped about my brand new MMR!!!)

#2063 10 years ago
Quoted from Jazman:

Jaz

Your car doesn't burn through the led's...The pin won't have as many vibes or shock as a automobile. The HU, speedo cluster, hvac are all led, have been for years.

Quoted from yotaxi125:

Not saying I know much about the issue, but I am less concerned with the actual LEDs "blowing" than I am with the boards' on which the LEDs are socketed (or whatever is the correct term) requiring repair/maintenance.
I should say, though, that believe it or not, I have never built a pinball machine (yet?).
(still super pumped about my brand new MMR!!!)

Boards have been used for years. My 1991 checkpoint has bulb boards. There should be almost zero maintenance for these. Worst case is 15 years later you reflow the header pin solder, or a trace burns out? but that should happen on the cpu board, not a bulb one. Unless something is seriously wrong.

#2064 10 years ago

Look guys, I NEVER said that there was a problem. Rick made an analogy between your printer, router, and cable modem. That is a FAR cry from a pinball machine. But, MTBF ratings (ie: the 30K hours) and the like are based on a certain type of use. I am willing to bet there is not a SINGLE LED manufacturer that gives an MTBF for usage in a pinball machine. To simply push the concern aside is careless. That said, most surface mount LEDs are encapsulated so there will likely not be an issue. BUT, not all are 100% encapsulated. Some just have a lens mounted on top of the die that is bonded to the substrate. So, not all surface mount LEDs are created equal. So, just chill.

As far as automotive, one again, NOT ALL PARTS ARE CREATED EQUAL. As a former electronics engineer for the automotive industry, I can't tell you how much work goes into making electronics reliable in the automotive environment. If you think the LEDs that illuminate your cluster are just any old part someone throws in there, then you have no idea what you're talking about. If you knew the extremes that automotive electronics are subjected to, you would be shocked.

Jaz

#2065 10 years ago

should conformal coat it to 1) make it more reliable / vibration tolerant, and 2) really make sure nobody can service it.

#2066 10 years ago

I guess I assumed when he said High reliable led's with 30k+ hours it was not the chinese ones on ebay...maybe I'm wrong? But technology does transfer down from high end r&d ex. nasa, automotive industry to other industries.

#2067 10 years ago
Quoted from Jazman:

As far as automotive, one again, NOT ALL PARTS ARE CREATED EQUAL. As a former electronics engineer for the automotive industry, I can't tell you how much work goes into making electronics reliable in the automotive environment. If you think the LEDs that illuminate your cluster are just any old part someone throws in there, then you have no idea what you're talking about. If you knew the extremes that automotive electronics are subjected to, you would be shocked.
Jaz

okay, I have no idea what I am talking about.

#2068 10 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

I guess I assumed when he said High reliable led's with 30k+ hours it was not the chinese ones on ebay...maybe I'm wrong? But technology does transfer down from high end r&d ex. nasa, automotive industry to other industries.

oh shoot, not the china slam again. No wonder Jinping hates us.

#2070 10 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

Posted an update on the blog
http://www.planetarypinball.com/category/mmr
thanks,
WMS Approval Process – we are the first ever to go thru this with WMS, so Roger Sharpe (PPS’s WMS Business Interface) is scheduled for the end of the first week of January (1/7) to review the game, as well as play the game.
rick

How did that go?

#2071 10 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

How did that go?

Has he seen the machine yet?

#2072 10 years ago

rescheduled to mon/tues ... busy and conflicting schedules ...

#2073 10 years ago

Rick,

Just wondering how and when it will be communicated to us buyer as to our "place in line"?

#2074 10 years ago
Quoted from indypinhead:

Rick,
Just wondering how and when it will be communicated to us buyer as to our "place in line"?

Ditto!!!

#2075 10 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

Can we get a live stream of the Roger Sharpe visit?

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#2076 10 years ago

Hopefully the approval doesn't get bumped again and goes well. I'm really curious how this all shakes out.

Quoted from miggitymac:

Can we get a live stream of the Roger Sharpe visit?

#2077 10 years ago

It would be cool for us buyers to see video of Roger doing his thing. Why not tape it, if it turns out well, share it .

If it goes less than perfect you can pretend you didn't tape it .

#2078 10 years ago

It seems like transparency in all this is important to PPS, hence Rick's participation here, the video etc. I know for me, it's made me a lot more excited for MMr and also made me feel a lot more comfortable during first part of this process.

The more transparency the better, it would be wonderful it they filmed it.

Quoted from frolic:

It would be cool for us buyers to see video of Roger doing his thing. Why not tape it, if it turns out well, share it .

If it goes less than perfect you can pretend you didn't tape it .

#2079 10 years ago

What we will be doing is notifying people with as much lead time as we can about when their game is expected to ship to arrange finances. Won't start even thinking about that for a month or two ...

#2080 10 years ago

You know what would be even cooler? A reality TV show detailing everything about building MMr from start to finish!!! You could actually name the show "Medieval Madness: The Pinball." And put it on A&E. And make little Rick bobble-heads. Or pinball bobbleheads. And sell them at truck stops. And Rick could make embarrassing political statements to get news attention for it all.

Or he could not slow down the works and get shit done.

--Donnie

#2082 10 years ago

Thanks for keeping us updated so looking forward to my MMR.

#2083 10 years ago

+1 on everything people seem to be saying - the transparency is greatly appreciated. Yes it will be tough to keep up as there are many bad apples out there that of course make transparency frustrating, and make you want to just close up and keep everything private. I've had my issues with the non-transparency of other manufacturers, and it's refreshing to see so much involvement at this point - hopefully that continues through the entire process.

#2084 10 years ago
Quoted from Eryeal:

+1 on everything people seem to be saying - the transparency is greatly appreciated. Yes it will be tough to keep up as there are many bad apples out there that of course make transparency frustrating, and make you want to just close up and keep everything private. I've had my issues with the non-transparency of other manufacturers, and it's refreshing to see so much involvement at this point - hopefully that continues through the entire process.

Agreed, there's definitely a reasonable middle ground here. Personally, I feel very well-informed, and you can't expect Rick to comment on something that hasn't happened yet.

I guess some people as well are coming off as impatient when they are really just super pumped about getting their MMr!

Thanks, again, Rick. Just don't leave us hanging (not that you have)

#2085 10 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

good luck this week!

#2086 10 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

good luck this week!

Or next week...

#2087 10 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

Was the inspection able to move forward?

#2088 10 years ago

Any updates? Not PPS's fault but I think pinball people are especially sensitive about product delays based on other companies' projects.

#2089 10 years ago

I am totally down with any and all delays. No hurry. Get it RIGHT. Then release it.

#2090 10 years ago

Go the PPS blog new info.

Thanks again for the continued updates.

#2091 10 years ago

Roger Sharpe (our WMS pinball "business" contact) was at Chicago Gaming yesterday (tues afternoon) for over an hour playing the game and doing a review with the team ... I talked with Roger this morning and he sees no issues in the game going forward, was impressed, next step in this process is now to bring the wms legal in the next week or two to close on the legal signoff of the game ... then Roger wants to be involved and check as we go thru manufacturing start, etc. Great news and as usual everything is a process ...

http://www.planetarypinball.com/category/mmr

I will put pictures and/or vids to confirm that Roger was indeed there (as I'm sure here people will be suspicious) but as I am in CA and development is in Chicago, the first thing on the team's mind is not to document that internal meetings happened so it's a bit of an education for them ...

[email protected]

#2092 10 years ago
Quoted from 1967Firebird:

Go the PPS blog new info.
Thanks again for the continued updates.

FWIW that info is: Roger liked it and said go ahead, now they need final approval from WMS legal.

Edit: Doh, too slow on the draw

#2093 10 years ago

Congrats on completing another key step!!

#2094 10 years ago

Congrats, and thanks for taking the time to also post the info on pinside!

#2095 10 years ago

It looks like everything is on schedule. Congrats on making it happen!

#2096 10 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

I will put pictures and/or vids to confirm that Roger was indeed there (as I'm sure here people will be suspicious) but as I am in CA and development is in Chicago, the first thing on the team's mind is not to document that internal meetings happened so it's a bit of an education for them ...

Sad state that you have to put pics/vids to confirm. So glad I'm in on MMR. This is progressing as well as can be expected. Well done!!

#2097 10 years ago
Quoted from Chippewa-Pin:

Sad state that you have to put pics/vids to confirm.

And hopefully the pictures or vids don't get attacked here.

LTG

#2098 10 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

LTG

I've got my stopwatch ready for the timing on the castle destruction sequence...

#2099 10 years ago
Quoted from miggitymac:

I've got my stopwatch ready for the timing on the castle destruction sequence...

LOL

#2100 10 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

LTG

Of course they won't! I'm sure Rick will make sure Roger is holding up his driver's license, social security card, and at least two major credit cards.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods
Decals
$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz
Other
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound
Other
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
Interactive
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Wolcott, CT
$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs
Armor and blades
$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound
Electronics
$ 35.00
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 79.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts
Boards
$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs
(Alt) Translites
Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
Boards
PinSound
Boards
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields
Decals
$ 130.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinwize.com
Toys/Add-ons
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames
Decorations
$ 26.50
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 5,463 posts in this topic. You are on page 42 of 110.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mmr-pps-and-overall-update-official-pps-oct-21-2013/page/42 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.