(Topic ID: 67443)

MMR PPS and Overall Update - Official PPS (Oct 21, 2013)

By PPS

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 5,463 posts
  • 470 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by pmWolf
  • Topic is favorited by 98 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-77.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
pps.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Screenshot_2013-11-01-14-19-50.png
Screenshot_2013-09-14-17-45-13.png
yawn.jpg
Rick.jpg
42-3079-100.JPG
issue tissue.jpg
facepalmgroup.gif
elephant-in-the-room.jpg
math.gif
untitled.png

This topic is closed.

There are 5,463 posts in this topic. You are on page 41 of 110.
#2001 10 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

More work, more failure points, more design issues in the original, more maintenance, more of the same ...
Also, would'nt it be interesting if there is an upgrade path for existing games to upgrade to this platform, including better sound, video upgrade/choices, USB/SD upgrade (vs EPROM), possibly networking, etc (ut oh) ...

Love the updates Rick!

#2002 10 years ago

My dog is named "Tiki" and I'm seriously considering a name change... don't want him mistaken for a troll.

#2003 10 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Love the updates Rick!

Yes, and I'm hoping you're enjoying the entertainment between updates....

#2004 10 years ago

Some evenings its a tough decision between the Comedy Channel and Pinside ...

#2005 10 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Yes, and I'm hoping you're enjoying the entertainment between updates....

Always.

I wouldn't keep coming back if it wasn't fun.

#2006 10 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

Some evenings its a tough decision between the Comedy Channel and Pinside ...

wow you still get The Comedy Channel? Higgins Boys and Gruber, The Sweet Life, Night after Night with Allen Havey ... coool ... (nobody has any idea what i'm talking about., do they...)

#2007 10 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

Where exactly in the above statement did you see 'issues identified by the programmer'? I know for sure Josh had comments about some tweaks on the artwork, etc - so how do you read that? Also having wrote 100K lines of code in my life, and dealing with complex systems, and seeing the endless updates from other game platforms to improve, you can always make software changes to improve - that is the nature of software, so if this concerns you probably better not get any pinball machine including (including the old ones which have bugs) as their software is far from complete!

So you are saying Josh Sharpe was anxious to test play your game to make sure the *artwork* was up to snuff? That seems like a waste of talent, I always though he was more interested in the game play aspect of a pinball machine.

And actually I agree with you, all computer programs running on any hardware contain glitches or "bugs". The issue is that nobody has mentioned any in the original game and it's been being played for the past 16 years.

#2008 10 years ago

what I'm saying is you interpreted something that was never said. And yes, Josh grew up wandering around wms at the time of MM and knows the game intimately and makes comments all over the map. His talent is to comment on the game, the game play, etc - we take all of his feedback, not sure what your point is. Well if there are no bugs in the game code and we are running that same game code then I guess we have a great start on all of the others ...

#2009 10 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

More work, more failure points, more design issues in the original, more maintenance, more of the same ...
Also, would'nt it be interesting if there is an upgrade path for existing games to upgrade to this platform, including better sound, video upgrade/choices, USB/SD upgrade (vs EPROM), possibly networking, etc (ut oh) ...

Networking would be sweet! Opens up a whole new world to pinball. You could put a camera on the back glass to stream game play and run world wide tournaments and leagues. Games could be recorded and validated to make sure no tampering with the score took place.

#2010 10 years ago
Quoted from miggitymac:

My dog is named "Tiki" and I'm seriously considering a name change... don't want him mistaken for a troll.

Keep the name, but shave its butt and make him walk backwards.

#2011 10 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

Hell yes!

#2012 10 years ago

This may have been brought up before, but MM should have always been a widebody machine. Why not consider doing a truly limited widebody version with a slightly redesigned playfield, maybe extra targets or just more openess?

#2013 10 years ago

That'd be one hell of an upgrade. You'd pretty much be replacing a good chunk of the game and it wouldn't be cheap.

#2014 10 years ago
Quoted from cwell:

Networking would be sweet! Opens up a whole new world to pinball. You could put a camera on the back glass to stream game play and run world wide tournaments and leagues. Games could be recorded and validated to make sure no tampering with the score took place.

not to be a debbie downer, but ehhh, every machine plays a little bit differently no matter how much verification or tweaking you do. just one of the features inherent to pinball's analog nature....

that said, i am excited by the potential! imagine going to the basement after the wife has gone to bed, turning on your machine and seeing "oh hey dave up in Ontario is playing right now too .. hey dave, how about a rematch??"

#2015 10 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

Where may I send my money now?

#2016 10 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

"oh hey dave up in Ontario is playing right now too .. hey dave, how about a rematch??"

Open the cab coin door HAL.

#2017 10 years ago

What difference does the compressed audio files make? Not sure I understand the impact....

#2018 10 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

not to be a debbie downer, but ehhh, every machine plays a little bit differently no matter how much verification or tweaking you do. just one of the features inherent to pinball's analog nature....
that said, i am excited by the potential! imagine going to the basement after the wife has gone to bed, turning on your machine and seeing "oh hey dave up in Ontario is playing right now too .. hey dave, how about a rematch??"</blockquote

+1 yeah that would be awesome. jjp failed to do this and of course stern wouldn't dream of doing this so maybe mmr could be the first.

imagine if all their remakes had an online component to them. i think sales would go to a whole new level never imagined by anyone.

i am no tech guy but is this so difficult to implement in 2014?

rick, come out of the gates swinging and get online play and become a very wealthy man

#2019 10 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

What difference does the compressed audio files make? Not sure I understand the impact....

the compression used on the original game is not a lossless compression like a zip file -- it's a lossy compression like mp3 or jpeg. it reduces the file size by reducing the fidelity / detail / resolution of the original file. going back to the original sources would allow MMR to have higher-quality versions of the various audio clips than the original game had.

#2020 10 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

the compression used on the original game is not a lossless compression like a zip file -- it's a lossy compression like mp3 or jpeg. it reduces the file size by reducing the fidelity / detail / resolution of the original file. going back to the original sources would allow MMR to have higher-quality versions of the various audio clips than the original game had.

And I've got a feeling that with this particular game the sound improvement will be pretty significant. I love the sounds themselves in the game, but they have always sounded pretty low quality. I'd bet most, or all, of that is the compression and not the original sampling. Will be interesting to find out how much it really does improve it, but it could be really good...

I don't know how many games Rick has uncompressed audio for, but if it's "a lot" of them, well, it's stuff like this that could make a complete CPU/Audio upgrade worthwhile for a lot of home users. Add much higher quality sound to colorization and direct LCD support and networking and long high score names and a big pile of other small enhancements and you've really got something. That's a LOT higher potential for sales, especially as more and more repair components for the existing boards disappear, than remaking titles further down the line.

--Donnie

#2021 10 years ago

Biggest issue with DCS is that it kills just about everything above 8khz. It's great for its time (1993) but definitely low-fidelity nowadays. If you play WOZ you'll hear how much more range the audio has.

#2022 10 years ago
Quoted from BestShot31:

This may have been brought up before, but MM should have always been a widebody machine. Why not consider doing a truly limited widebody version with a slightly redesigned playfield, maybe extra targets or just more openess?

Rick is not allowed to do this. The design and gameplay has to match the original almost exactly for Williams to sign off on his project. Not a bad idea though!

#2023 10 years ago
Quoted from BestShot31:

There was a guy in Europe that converted his MM to a widebody format.

His site is down but I'll try and find the siterip when I'm at home.

#2024 10 years ago

http://www.planetarypinball.com/category/mmr/

Looks awesome! So happy to see this. Knowing that they're on time is impressive to say the least. If they were to add some web based software, then this would be the greatest pin ever! I'm not looking for a exact reproduction anyway. A supped up version would do many of us just fine. It's not a repo! It's a better updated version! Keep up the great work you guys at PP are doing!!!

#2025 10 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

There was a guy in Europe that converted his MM to a widebody format.

His site is down but I'll try and find the siterip when I'm at home.

I think the same guy did TAF too. It's awesome what he did to the backbox on those games.

#2026 10 years ago

We are allowed to do anything we propose and wms agrees to (fyi). That would include original game remakes, sequels to games, widebody games (although I've never considered that as I don't think you can 'just' change geometry without changing (probably for the worse) the game play.

#2027 10 years ago
Quoted from teekee:

Exactly! so sick of that "flipper" / "hater" crap. There are many reasons why some are not on the band wagon and it doesn't have to be so damn personal... can't believe the uproar from a made up word like "refake".

What are the reasons you are not in favor of the remake? I may have missed them, but the only thing I have seen from you doesn't have any, just instagatory remarks.

#2028 10 years ago

Let's not start this again....

#2030 10 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Not starting anything. Just curious of people's opinion.

#2031 10 years ago

Excellent update rick, I see there are a couple teasers...getting excited!

#2032 10 years ago

This should put everyone's mind at ease...

A Note about Deposits: for those who have MMR deposits – don’t stress about the timing, we have every $ in our PPS MMR Account, and we are also not going to make the deposits non-refundable until two conditions a) that we have the WMS ‘approval’ signaling that we are ok to move ahead with full production (which we expect), as well as b) that you have enough information about the game – videos, pictures, FAQ, player reports, etc. Additionally, we will give you a week or so notice AFTER we feel the above has happened to insure that you are confident about your purchase. In any event none of this has any effect on the schedule or the work, just that you have time to review and see the progress, and move forward with us being fully in view of the product. So, don’t worry!!

#2033 10 years ago

surprises... wonder what they will be..

#2034 10 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

This should put everyone's mind at ease...
A Note about Deposits: for those who have MMR deposits – don’t stress about the timing, we have every $ in our PPS MMR Account, and we are also not going to make the deposits non-refundable until two conditions a) that we have the WMS ‘approval’ signaling that we are ok to move ahead with full production (which we expect), as well as b) that you have enough information about the game – videos, pictures, FAQ, player reports, etc. Additionally, we will give you a week or so notice AFTER we feel the above has happened to insure that you are confident about your purchase. In any event none of this has any effect on the schedule or the work, just that you have time to review and see the progress, and move forward with us being fully in view of the product. So, don’t worry!!

Thank god. That does put me at ease.

#2035 10 years ago
Quoted from Chippewa-Pin:

What are the reasons you are not in favor of the remake? I may have missed them, but the only thing I have seen from you doesn't have any, just instagatory remarks.

donnnnnnt encourage him, margaret!

#2036 10 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

Posted an update on the blog
http://www.planetarypinball.com/category/mmr
thanks,
rick

Thanks for the update.

#2037 10 years ago

Great update. Sounds like everything is on schedule. Looking forwad to getting mine!

#2038 10 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Agreed. If that discussion needs to happen again, it should be in another thread. This one has been derailed enough with that topic.

#2039 10 years ago

Nobody wants this. Even the people who think they do haven't thought it out. MM is one of the greatest games ever made, not reason to screw it up just for the sake of making it a wide body for no reason.

Not that I think you are considering this, but this is one of the worst Ideas i've ever heard.

Quoted from PPS:

I don't think you can 'just' change geometry without changing (probably for the worse) the game play.

#2040 10 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

sequels to games,

Mmmm.... Black Knight 3000! Bring it! But lets make this one for the lefties.

#2041 10 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

For comparison, here is an uncompressed sound call that is used in the original MM:

http://home.comcast.net/~pinsarefun/this-is-like.wav

Terry

#2042 10 years ago

EDIT: Realized my question was off-topic as it related to original MM:s and to the uncompressed sounds, so I removed it.

#2043 10 years ago

You can really tell the difference with the uncompressed sound! I'm really looking forward to this new machine. Thanks Rick!

#2044 10 years ago

I'm more excited about getting my MMr than I am about getting my WOZLE

#2045 10 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

We are allowed to do anything we propose and wms agrees to (fyi). That would include original game remakes, sequels to games, widebody games (although I've never considered that as I don't think you can 'just' change geometry without changing (probably for the worse) the game play.

So, you are able to do color changing LEDs? This makes a huge impact, I have STLE, and AcDc Premium and to me, this is the greatest advancement to pinball in a while.

I mean, you could have a toggle on/off for owners who prefer the original look, same with color DMD/LCD.

#2046 10 years ago

#2047 10 years ago

RGB LED support is not a trivial amount of work, and only recently has started appearing in games - for good reason - requires alot of software, hardware, as well as integrating with the ruleset ... it is also reasonably expensive to add to a game as well.

#2048 10 years ago

I am sure this was already asked so forgive me if it was... will the LED warm color lights be bulbs (44 and 555) or will they be LED boards like on the new pins? I am hoping for regular LED Bulbs so that each owner can change out the lights from warm white to colors if they choose.

#2049 10 years ago

The insert leds are on a board and gi will be 44.

#2050 10 years ago
Quoted from mario_1_up:

The insert leds are on a board and gi will be 44.

You sure ? The pictures look like LED boards for the GI.

LTG : )

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 35.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 130.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinwize.com

$ 129.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 16.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 225.00
Cabinet - Other
FlyLand Designs

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 64.99
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 5,463 posts in this topic. You are on page 41 of 110.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mmr-pps-and-overall-update-official-pps-oct-21-2013/page/41 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.