(Topic ID: 67443)

MMR PPS and Overall Update - Official PPS (Oct 21, 2013)

By PPS

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 5,463 posts
  • 470 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by pmWolf
  • Topic is favorited by 98 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-77.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
pps.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Screenshot_2013-11-01-14-19-50.png
Screenshot_2013-09-14-17-45-13.png
yawn.jpg
Rick.jpg
42-3079-100.JPG
issue tissue.jpg
facepalmgroup.gif
elephant-in-the-room.jpg
math.gif
untitled.png

This topic is closed.

There are 5,463 posts in this topic. You are on page 40 of 110.
#1951 10 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

0100100100100000011011000110100101101011011001010010000001100010011011110110111101100010011100110010000001100001011011100110010000100000011000100111010101110100011101000111001100101110

Binary Solo!

#1952 10 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

Lol....

Lol x2

Ha, I was watching an old Funny Or Die on HBO and they had some Morse code during a news flash graphic. Since I know Morse, I rewound it on my TiVo enough times to decipher it through the music. What did it say?:

"You are a total nerd"

#1953 10 years ago

Any update on what day Roger is supposed to approve? It's one day next week, isn't it?

#1954 10 years ago

Josh Sharpe stopped by on New Years Eve and played the game ... "Plays like a Medieval" is the most important feedback that we are striving for ...

http://www.planetarypinball.com/category/mmr/

rick

#1955 10 years ago

Yes, sometime later in the week next week, I've not checked with Doug as to exactly which day next week ...

#1956 10 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

Josh Sharpe stopped by on New Years Eve and played the game ... "Plays like a Medieval" is the most important feedback that we are striving for ...
http://www.planetarypinball.com/category/mmr/
rick

That's great. Thanks for sharing.

#1957 10 years ago

I played an original mm tonight, can't wait to own mmr.

#1958 10 years ago

Also ... a quick update (i'm putting together a longer update around a bunch of topics for the weekend) ... we have the original uncompressed audio files for MM that we will be using on the MMR! We had to check out and verify what we had, but resulting audio quality will be much higher as the compression reduced the sampling rate and so this will be one of the benefits of using the new platform ... stay tuned for more.

rick

#1959 10 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

Also ... a quick update (i'm putting together a longer update around a bunch of topics for the weekend) ... we have the original uncompressed audio files for MM that we will be using on the MMR! We had to check out and verify what we had, but resulting audio quality will be much higher as the compression reduced the sampling rate and so this will be one of the benefits of using the new platform ... stay tuned for more.
rick

THAT is awesome!

#1960 10 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

but resulting audio quality will be much higher

As long as you can get rid of that nasty pop, I'll be happy!

#1961 10 years ago

Damn Rick you make this compelling to ride this out till the end. Thanks for the update and especially the news on improved audio sounds great.

"Goes and knocks down a wall to fit more pins"!!!

#1962 10 years ago
Quoted from starbase:

Damn Rick you make this compelling to ride this out till the end. Thanks for the update and especially the news on improved audio sounds great.
"Goes and knocks down a wall to fit more pins"!!!

I will gladly trade the WMS logo for uncompressed sound!

#1963 10 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

rick

Now go over to stern and get their uncompressed file and remake LOTR.

#1964 10 years ago

Rick, that is tremendous news. And thanks for working on this in secret for as long as you did and not take deposits until the end.

#1965 10 years ago

I predict Rick will be Pinball's Man of the Year in 2014!

#1966 10 years ago

I heard a rumor my secret visit to Churchill isn't much of a secret any longer

(and if my boss is reading this I was definitely at Churchill to check in on our Raw Thrills cabinet production)

I know Rick mentioned that I sounded surprised on the phone when we chatted about the progress, and that's because I really was amazed. The game is far closer to being done compared to what my expectations were, and even better was that the list of issues I had with the game were all already on Doug's to-do list.

Hopefully Raw Thrills business will give me another reason to sneak over there and check it out in the upcoming months, but kudos to Rick and Doug for the progress they've made so far!

#1967 10 years ago
Quoted from ifpapinball:

I really was amazed.

Rats! I secretly wanted not to want this pin!

#1968 10 years ago

But... But... But.... I thought this was just a crappy re-fake?

Quoted from PPS:

we have the original uncompressed audio files for MM that we will be using on the MMR!

#1969 10 years ago

Hope Bowen does a PAPA tutorial for MMr ASAP for the fence sitters like me (will help along with the user reviews of course).

#1970 10 years ago

The more people we know and respect that play the game the better. This last update is a very good one.

Quoted from Sly_Old_Devil:

Hope Bowen does a PAPA tutorial for MMr ASAP for the fence sitters like me (will help along with the user reviews of course).

#1971 10 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

But... But... But.... I thought this was just a crappy re-fake?

It's only a refake in the eyes of current owners and flippers. The majority of collectors welcome it however it's the small group of those who are against it are the most vocal and constantly put it down.

#1972 10 years ago
Quoted from ifpapinball:

(and if my boss is reading this I was definitely at Churchill to check in on our Raw Thrills cabinet production)
I know Rick mentioned that I sounded surprised on the phone when we chatted about the progress, and that's because I really was amazed. The game is far closer to being done compared to what my expectations were, and even better was that the list of issues I had with the game were all already on Doug's to-do list.
Hopefully Raw Thrills business will give me another reason to sneak over there and check it out in the upcoming months, but kudos to Rick and Doug for the progress they've made so far!

AHHHH get me a H2Overdrive shipped with my MMR

#1973 10 years ago

Rick's site had an image of their dev board. I have added comments to it if anyone cares. Thoughts:

Beagle Bone Black (BBB) is an ARM based development board from TI. It's like a beefed up Raspberry Pi. This is most likely what the Homepin guy was talking about when he said "we're not using hobbyist grade stuff on our game" But Beagle Bone is based off a commodity ARM chip, which Rick will probably embed into a final production PCB.

The BBB could easily emulate a Motorola 68k variant that WPC games ran on. Or do scripting. Who cares as long as the game plays the same? It's like saying Lawrence of Arabia Blu-Ray isn't good because it's not on film.

BBB also has (2) microcontrollers on the same die as the ARM. These can do low-level real time events such as switch handling (looking like it still using a matrix of some king) lights, etc.

Also people need to get over how small and simple this is. My cell phone is 20 times faster than a 1990's PC and fits in my pocket.

MMRCTRL.jpgMMRCTRL.jpg
#1974 10 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Also people need to get over how small and simple this is.

The original PCM wasn't very large either. In the end it will be all about the driver boards.

#1975 10 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

The original PCM wasn't very large either. In the end it will be all about the driver boards.

Which are much smaller than a standard driver board AND broken up into several smaller boards for easier servicing. I really can't say enough how much I wish I could've stayed in on the LE for this... just couldn't make the finances work. Looking foward to owning a standard in the future.

#1976 10 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Beagle Bone is based off a commodity ARM chip, which Rick will probably embed into a final production PCB.

Why?

I would have thought they would leave it as a daughterboard on their pinball controller, just like they have it.

#1977 10 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

It's like saying Lawrence of Arabia Blu-Ray isn't good because it's not on film.

Great metaphor, Ben, thanks for the post.

#1978 10 years ago

very exciting! thanks very much for the update!

#1979 10 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Why?
I would have thought they would leave it as a daughterboard on their pinball controller, just like they have it.

Depending on the volume he intends to make, it could end up a lot cheaper to embed it. Could get rid of a lot of parts count from connectors to the SD card. Definitely makes it a little more expensive to replace that driver board should something go wrong, though, so there would be advantages to keeping it that way, certainly.

--Donnie

#1980 10 years ago

Thanks for the post Ben. I don't know what any of this means but I am excited to be in on the MMR LE!!

#1981 10 years ago

Post 1964. Man this thing is coming together great!

#1982 10 years ago
Quoted from djb_rh:

Depending on the volume he intends to make, it could end up a lot cheaper to embed it. Could get rid of a lot of parts count from connectors to the SD card. Definitely makes it a little more expensive to replace that driver board should something go wrong, though, so there would be advantages to keeping it that way, certainly.
--Donnie

I figured the cost savings of any unused components is exponentially smaller than the cost of re-engineering a replacement PCB for the BBB. That little board is a 6 layer PCB that has gone through so many revisions to get right, I can't imagine someone wanting to re-engineer that.

It'll be interesting to see what way they go, and why (if they ever tell us why).

#1983 10 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

I figured the cost savings of any unused components is exponentially smaller than the cost of re-engineering a replacement PCB for the BBB. That little board is a 6 layer PCB that has gone through so many revisions to get right, I can't imagine someone wanting to re-engineer that.
It'll be interesting to see what way they go, and why (if they ever tell us why).

Nearly everything in this world of electronics is built of building blocks like this and almost always things get engineered down. It's all a matter of how much you can save over the long haul with your up front investment. I'm sure if we were only thinking one or two thousand of these boards is all that would ever be made, sure, you'd probably be right that it isn't worth it. But if Rick thinks his longer term business plans are solid enough to warrant thinking in the five figure range for boards, things might be a lot different in terms of if it is worth it or not.

I really don't know what the numbers are, but I do think there's a volume at which it would make serious economic sense to re-engineer it. What that volume is depends on a lot of factors that only Rick knows. I'm just saying it wouldn't surprise me if that number is low enough that it fits in his long term plans to do it. It also wouldn't surprise me for it to stay like it is. Time will tell...and it could change over time, too. There's no reason why he couldn't keep it like it is for these machines and then use profits to re-engineer to help profitability of later machines, too. As long as the boards are plug compatible (and no reason they couldn't be), people won't care much.

--Donnie

#1984 10 years ago
Quoted from djb_rh:

I really don't know what the numbers are, but I do think there's a volume at which it would make serious economic sense to re-engineer it.

You-cant-handle-the-truth6.jpgYou-cant-handle-the-truth6.jpg
#1985 10 years ago

You might save a few dollars on the BOM by doing a custom board, but given the cost of redesigning it, the only valid reasons I could see to do that would be to save space or to eliminate the modular approach. Space is certainly not of concern here. Eliminating the dependence on TI for the modules might be of minimal value. Eliminating the board to board headers would also be nice, but probably not worth a total redesign.

What I do find odd is that there are not screwholes on the custom carrier board to line up with the BBB. This design relies on the the friction fit of the connectors to hold it together.

#1986 10 years ago
Quoted from BoJo:

It's only a refake in the eyes of current owners and flippers. The majority of collectors welcome it however it's the small group of those who are against it are the most vocal and constantly put it down.

I think there is clearly a third group of people that have posted here which I am a part of that I would label "cautiously skeptical". It really should be OK to ask technical questions about this new platform without getting shouted out of the room as being a "flipper" or a "hater".

So along those lines I will say I think it's great news that Josh was impressed with the game! But in keeping with my skeptical side, he admits he noticed issues which have already been identified by the programmer on the project. While it is probably an easy matter to rectify these software issues, my question is, how is Roger Sharpe supposed to sign off on the "it looks and plays like an original" by the end of this week if this programming hasn't been completed?

#1987 10 years ago
Quoted from viper001:

I think there is clearly a third group of people that have posted here which I am a part of that I would label "cautiously skeptical". It really should be OK to ask technical questions about this new platform without getting shouted out of the room as being a "flipper" or a "hater".

Exactly! so sick of that "flipper" / "hater" crap. There are many reasons why some are not on the band wagon and it doesn't have to be so damn personal... can't believe the uproar from a made up word like "refake".

#1988 10 years ago

...it's not the word...it's the attitude....

#1989 10 years ago
Quoted from ifpapinball:

Where exactly in the above statement did you see 'issues identified by the programmer'? I know for sure Josh had comments about some tweaks on the artwork, etc - so how do you read that? Also having wrote 100K lines of code in my life, and dealing with complex systems, and seeing the endless updates from other game platforms to improve, you can always make software changes to improve - that is the nature of software, so if this concerns you probably better not get any pinball machine including (including the old ones which have bugs) as their software is far from complete!

#1990 10 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

The BBB could easily emulate a Motorola 68k variant that WPC games ran on. Or do scripting. Who cares as long as the game plays the same? It's like saying Lawrence of Arabia Blu-Ray isn't good because it's not on film

Even easier than that, since MM ran on the 8bit 6809 chip, not a 16bit 68k variant. Probably more work replicating the functionality of the WPC ASIC than that old CPU. Since Rick is re-sampling the sounds from source materials, there's no need to fool with the audio ASIC on the A/V board either. Sounds like it's down to timings and polishing... getting the lamps to look right and matching the timings and feel of the original driver system.

#1991 10 years ago

Seems kinda weird your following this thread then...

Quoted from teekee:

Exactly! so sick of that "flipper" / "hater" crap. There are many reasons why some are not on the band wagon and it doesn't have to be so damn personal... can't believe the uproar from a made up word like "refake".

#1992 10 years ago

More work, more failure points, more design issues in the original, more maintenance, more of the same ...

Also, would'nt it be interesting if there is an upgrade path for existing games to upgrade to this platform, including better sound, video upgrade/choices, USB/SD upgrade (vs EPROM), possibly networking, etc (ut oh) ...

#1993 10 years ago

Since they're using an emulator they'll have to adapt the emulator to use whatever new sound system will be in place.

#1994 10 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

More work, more failure points, more design issues in the original, more maintenance, more of the same ...
Also, would'nt it be interesting if there is an upgrade path for existing games to upgrade to this platform, including better sound, audio choices, USB/SD upgrade (vs EPROM), possibly networking, etc (ut oh) ...

Well, if the playfield is the same, you just need to convert the harnesses... Would be a nice kit to sell.

I do have one question - will there be an external audio amplifier board? Ben identified what appears to be an audio amp on the controller, but it's singular (vs WPC95 separate cab and backbox channels), and there's no heatsinks like the original amps got. See http://www.parts4pinballs.com/images/products/specials/A-20145-2-L.jpg for comparison (lower-right) Simply put, will your audio system have any oomph? Since you're using original, uncompressed sound, I'd hope you'd marry it to appropriate hardware. No $2 Chinese speakers like Stern, please.

#1995 10 years ago
Quoted from Monster_Bash:

weird is as weird does!

#1996 10 years ago
Quoted from teekee:

You've said your piece repeatedly now. Please don't continue to troll an update thread.

#1997 10 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

possibly networking, etc (ut oh) ...

#1998 10 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

possibly networking

that would put this hobby on its head indeed. 2014 and this still hasn't been implemented is probably the most amazingly stunning omission to date imho.

#1999 10 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

...it's not the word...it's the attitude....

Exactly. People getting the MMr know it's going to have differences from the original however if it plays the same that is all they are really concerned with and they are not going to pass if off as an original. I can't see why anyone would be against MMr other then they are upset they are not going to be only ones who own a MM anymore or they are worried it's going to effect them from a monetary standpoint. I own a MM so if anything the MMr could devalue my original if it's a success, however I support MMr because it's gets MM in the hands of many collectors who always wanted it. Worst case it fails and PPS never makes another game again, however if it succeeds then they can make other titles and get them in the hands of more collectors. Just a shame people are against it and would rather them not be made.

#2000 10 years ago
Quoted from Monster_Bash:

nothing weird about mental illness...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 64.99
Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 12.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 16.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.95
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 225.00
Cabinet - Other
FlyLand Designs

$ 130.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinwize.com

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 35.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 24.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Decals
Creative Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

There are 5,463 posts in this topic. You are on page 40 of 110.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mmr-pps-and-overall-update-official-pps-oct-21-2013/page/40 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.