(Topic ID: 67443)

MMR PPS and Overall Update - Official PPS (Oct 21, 2013)

By PPS

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 5,463 posts
  • 470 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by pmWolf
  • Topic is favorited by 98 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-77.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
pps.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Screenshot_2013-11-01-14-19-50.png
Screenshot_2013-09-14-17-45-13.png
yawn.jpg
Rick.jpg
42-3079-100.JPG
issue tissue.jpg
facepalmgroup.gif
elephant-in-the-room.jpg
math.gif
untitled.png

This topic is closed.

There are 5,463 posts in this topic. You are on page 37 of 110.
#1801 10 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

If castle destruction sequence and LED fading issues are all all the issues they have to deal with then PPS is way further along than I thought they would be at this point.

Yup, I would agree with that. Hard to not get caught up in the little things though.

#1802 10 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

Relax guys! Getting all freaked out by progress pics of an early prototype will only make Rick less likely to show us stuff like this. It's not like Rick said here is a 1 minute video commit now and your deposit is non refundable. If castle destruction sequence and LED fading issues are all all the issues they have to deal with then PPS is way further along than I thought they would be at this point.
So in a nutshell... let's not kill the goose that is getting ready to lay 1000 golden eggs.

I think what's making us freak out is the non refundable deposits. If this is the only video we see before that happens I'm not impressed, however if we get to see a video of the fully completed product (not work in progress) before our deposits become final I'm ok with this "work in progress" video.

#1803 10 years ago

Good grief, I don't get it, a 1000 ppl send in money without seeing the game, then panic about a grainy prototype video.

#1804 10 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

obviously posting work in progress is not understood by some, so lesson learned.

Don't sweat it. Half the planet is hopelessly dumb. The other half understands "work in progress" and appreciates the update very much. Keep up the good work!

#1805 10 years ago

My reaction as I read this thread today...

EpRYQ.gifEpRYQ.gif
#1806 10 years ago

The deposits are to confirm an order (serious order), and in fact due to Roger's (WMS) availability that will now be the first week of January for a visit, seems like xmas week is not easy to get appointments. But basically the deposit is to hold a game. Some people there will be no evidence that will make them feel comfortable and for those probably should never do deposits. That being said we have more transparency, and if I want to push the 'date' for refundability I will until enough people have played it and any of the fine-tuning needs to be done, etc. As we also said we will give people advance notice of the deposits being 'locked down' (for lack of a better word). Remember, this is a Q2 (Apr-Jun) ship date ... not tomorrow. Hopefully y'all can put some rum in your egg nogg and relax a little ... lol

#1807 10 years ago

I think people who are making a stink are just looking for a reason to back out.

By posting this video and having them say they are out right away, when clearly you have indicated this is a work in progress, further supports this, so I wouldn't worry about learning any lessons from this. I, and I am sure many others, appreciate all the little scraps of info that you give us.

I am not in the race, but I hope it is a run away success and you sell thousands of them so that I can get a beat up routed one cheaper after everyone has their new shiney ones.

They already said they are going to give a "warning" before the final approval to allow time for people to back out if they want.

#1808 10 years ago

Yah, these forums can be tough for sure, certainly no play for the thinned skinned. In this case there are a good sum of nervous individuals that are looking for a reason to stay on or bail. For me it’s mostly about the game playing true to the original or better (preferably). If it plays less in any way, the original MM owners are going to use whatever it may be, to beat us to death with, in an effort to minimize the remake version.

#1809 10 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

Hopefully y'all can put some rum in your egg nogg and relax a little ... lol

Good advice.

#1810 10 years ago

MMR (Emotional) support hotline is open ... my cell is 408-891-7878 (yes, this is my cell) ... in case the stress is getting to you hopefully I can talk you down and get your heart rhythm back to normal ... rick

#1811 10 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

obviously posting work in progress is not understood by some, so lesson learned.

lol.... thats what I was thinking...

perhaps they would have been better off releasing "sneak-peak" tiny SECTIONS of the playfiled layout and requiring people to puzzle it together over a 2 year period

#1812 10 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

Rick - can you tell us yet if the LED brightness will be adjustable? I for one like cornea burning light intensity on my games as do many others, just look at how excited people get over the lighting in the newer Stern titles.

And I'm just the opposite. I want to turn down the LED brightness so I can better see the playfield artwork. So, yes, I do hope the brightness will be adjustable as well.

#1813 10 years ago

My secret santa goal is to get to 1M Karma points, and this thread is my biggest xmas present yet ... I'm still hoping to be able to convert Karma points to frequent flyer miles ...

#1814 10 years ago

I understand work in progress, please don't let a few naysayers ruin the party. I noticed things mentioned but it's early still.

#1815 10 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

MMR (Emotional) support hotline is open

LMAO, Must be difficult to get work done babysitting Pinside!

#1816 10 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

It probably would have helped if you mentioned either in the post or on the page where the video is posted that you knew about the castle sequence and flickering LED issues. Without mentioning that up front it makes it seem like you didn't think those things would be issues.

Sure, you can point to the line about software being tweaked as needed and your bases are covered. I think it just would have helped temper reactions if you pointed out the two obvious things in the video to get ahead of it.

:shrug:

#1817 10 years ago

I don't understand people lamenting the new electronics. Who seriously wants 15-20 year old electronics(remember, most of the boards in MM were developed a couple years before the game)? Try and remember what computers and cell phones were like back then. Does anyone want to go back to one of these:
dkmb86g_479d4jjqng4_b.jpgdkmb86g_479d4jjqng4_b.jpg

#1818 10 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

It probably would have helped if you mentioned either in the post or on the page where the video is posted that you knew about the castle sequence and flickering LED issues. Without mentioning that up front it makes it seem like you didn't think those things would be issues.

Sure, you can point to the line about software being tweaked as needed and your bases are covered. I think it just would have helped temper reactions if you pointed out the two obvious things in the video to get ahead of it.

Thats some great whining right there folks.

#1819 10 years ago

What if the people who paid the $1k deposit are on a secret update list..then we can get updates and such without the public freaking out hahah. Prototype is that...a not fully working version in the process of becoming production.

#1820 10 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

Good grief, I don't get, a 1000 ppl send in money without seeing the game, then panic about a grainy prototype video.

It's not like that has ever been done before.

#1821 10 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

What if the people who paid the $1k deposit are on a secret update list..then we can get updates and such without the public freaking out hahah. Prototype is that...a not fully working version in the process of becoming production.

that's being worked on.

#1822 10 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Eric ... being a software guy I would assume you would know and understand the process, and I wonder how you do or would react to similar criticism for CCC and that you would not do that as you would know how things work ... so I just had more expectations from you given your background ... double shrug

#1823 10 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

that's being worked on.

Looking forward to it.

#1824 10 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

Eric ... being a software guy I would assume you would know and understand the process, and I wonder how you do or would react to similar criticism for CCC and that you would not do that as you would know how things work ... so I just had more expectations from you given your background ... double shrug

As a software guy, I have seen plenty of releases come with a 'known issues' document so that people don't freak out when they encounter one. That's what Eric is suggesting here.

#1825 10 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

At Expo when you announced the thing, you made it sound like it was essentially done - you're just waiting for WMS to sign off. Then you post a video with two glaring issues most people would have a problem with, without any kind of a hat tip to the fact that you know they exist.

All I'm saying is, it would have helped some of the negative reaction if you got in front of it, rather than just shrugging it off after the fact as "it's a prototype".

#1826 10 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

At Expo when you announced the thing, you made it sound like it was essentially done - you're just waiting for WMS to sign off.

Umm no he didnt

#1827 10 years ago

I think you're off base here. Rick has been very clear that Roger will look at and approve the game when it's done, ETA this year. Rick just said the appointment was the first week in January, close enough.

"essentially done" is a bullshit term, but yes, if the guy has been working on it for 24 months, and it's 2 months away from done, then IMO it's essentially done.

Do you think they're going to release the game without the castle working right? Or the LEDS working right? Do you really think that's going to happen? That's where they are today, I appreciate seeing it, and so do most people. Lay off.

Quoted from epthegeek:

At Expo when you announced the thing, you made it sound like it was essentially done - you're just waiting for WMS to sign off. Then you post a video with two glaring issues most people would have a problem with, without any kind of a hat tip to the fact that you know they exist.

All I'm saying is, it would have helped some of the negative reaction if you got in front of it, rather than just shrugging it off after the fact as "it's a prototype".

#1828 10 years ago

Watching the video a second time, it is impressive what they've done and I am excited about getting my game. I'll take Rick's statements that these last details will be dealt with.

#1829 10 years ago

Wait. I'm the bad guy? How did that happen?

Falling-Down-michael-douglas-28317456-1280-527.jpgFalling-Down-michael-douglas-28317456-1280-527.jpg

I'm in for one of these too. I WANT it to come out great. I'm not attacking anyone. Meh, I can't win.

#1830 10 years ago

i guess it's not surprising people are so touchy and drama-prone about this project. some folks have 8 grand on the line, some see the whole thing as a threat to their income, and finally some simply have portions of their ego tied up in its success or failure. honestly that last group tend to be the loudest. folks just gotta remember to keep perspective.

#1831 10 years ago

Looks like they are using a beaglebone black as their main CPU.

http://beagleboard.org/Products/BeagleBone%20Black

#1832 10 years ago

Your gripe was that he didn't come out and address the castle bug and the LED bug but instead generally addressed the fact that the game still has some bugs.

I personally don't understand, what's the big deal? How exactly should he have worded it?

Quoted from epthegeek:

I'm not attacking anyone. Meh, I can't win.

#1833 10 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

Your gripe was that he didn't come out and address the castle bug and the LED bug but instead generally addressed the fact that the game still has some bugs.
I personally don't understand, what's the big deal? How exactly should he have worded it?

Not griping - just pointing out it would have helped with the knee jerk negative reactions he got.

#1834 10 years ago

He was going to get them anyway There are certain people on here, not matter what is done, how good or how bad will break out the pitch forks.

It's a shame the small percentage of people are so noisy.

Quoted from epthegeek:

Not griping - just pointing out it would have helped with the knee jerk negative reactions he got.

#1835 10 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Looks like they are using a beaglebone black as their main CPU.

http://beagleboard.org/Products/BeagleBone%20Black

Well the good news there is that if that board ever fails, $45 gets you a brand new replacement.

#1836 10 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

Well the good news there is that if that board ever fails, $45 gets you a brand new replacement.

I'd also love to pick one of their engineer's brains about the "Pinball Controller" board it's plugged into.

#1837 10 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

it has a 3d gfx accelerator built in!!! 3d dmd!!!

#1838 10 years ago

I say we give Rick the benefit of the doubt that it will be as advertised in the end. Those of us that freely laid down $1000 trusted enough to do that. I guess some only see the glass half empty.

I personally appreciate any teasers he gives.

#1839 10 years ago

Funny that someone who is so derisive of open source is using an open source board and OS in this...

#1840 10 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

No - he's saying if you SET EXPECTATIONS UP FRONT - you'll manage people better.

Part of that is acknowledging what you know to be an issue... vs making blanket 'its not done yet' CYA types of statements.

Notice he did come back and post 'before anyone has a coronary..' type of post about the dragon... so there is some semblance of being aware of heading off what he thinks would cause a stink. It would appear Rick didn't think the castle or LEDs were worth mentioning in the same degree of 'warning - incomplete'.

Rick has said repeatedly he wants to make things as close as possible to the original - EXCELLENT... but he has also shown just as much support for COMPROMISES... which ultimately necessitate deviating from the original. What those compromises are... obviously are up to PPS. It's not unreasonable to think they need to make more compromises yet.. including ones even they are unaware of yet.

And now Rick posts they will have RSharp around the first week of January (and earlier was looking at this month). If these are the intended dates... doesn't that make you think twice about how much they think is left to do.. if the approval check comes in less than 2 weeks... wouldn't that make you think in their opinion what they have is close to done?

What is considered 'close enough' is open to interpretation. It's entirely possible Rick's impression would differ from others. Not being forth coming on what he thinks is 'missing' yet when posting the video leaves it open to interpretation on what PPS considers done or not.

#1841 10 years ago
Quoted from dhalem:

Funny that someone who is so derisive of open source is using an open source board and OS in this...

i don't remember him being derisive of open source, just saying it was completely impossible due to their licensing agreements with williams, etc.

#1842 10 years ago

Wow....way too much speculation being read into everything Rick says at this point. Just relax and get your deposit back now if you are that freaked out over a prototype video. You can always pick one up later.

#1843 10 years ago

Eric and Rick need to resolve any issues between them so they can get to work on CCC after MM is done!!

#1844 10 years ago

Wow I'm impressed I like seeing the pictures of under the pLayfield it looks beautiful all new instead of the dirty beat up outdated look of my old MM makes me think about selling it?

#1845 10 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Wait. I'm the bad guy? How did that happen?

I'm in for one of these too. I WANT it to come out great. I'm not attacking anyone. Meh, I can't win.

Welcome to pinside, where groupthink rules!

#1846 10 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

i guess it's not surprising people are so touchy and drama-prone about this project. some folks have 8 grand on the line, some see the whole thing as a threat to their income, and finally some simply have portions of their ego tied up in its success or failure. honestly that last group tend to be the loudest. folks just gotta remember to keep perspective.

And some of us are simply offering observations, which are quickly twisted and attacked by people with far too much time on their hands.

Perspective, indeed.

#1847 10 years ago

I have an MMRLE on order and I to was excited to see the video of the "prototype" being played.
Not concerned the least about some bugs. They will be addressed. Williams will sign off only on a machine that plays like the Original. This is a fantastic project and Rick will make it right. I'm impressed with the care that Rick takes to make sure it's done right. There is no gain for Rick to make something that's crap. How could you possibly hope you would sell anymore new title machines in the future. C'mon people relax. Enjoy the process. It's going to be great when we get our MMRLE's in the New Year.

#1848 10 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

And some of us are simply offering observations, which are quickly twisted and attacked by people with far too much time on their hands.
Perspective, indeed.

for certain. I'm just a normal customer who pointed out something he saw in the video.

#1849 10 years ago

That happens a lot on pin side, but I don't think that's what happened here.

Quoted from metallik:

Perspective, indeed.

#1850 10 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

Remember, this is a Q2 (Apr-Jun) ship date ... not tomorrow. Hopefully y'all can put some rum in your egg nogg and relax a little ... lol

Wait. This is now shipping Q2? I thought it was shipping Q4. Hellz Yeah. I can't wait.

Rick don't let people get you down. I'm sure it will all work out in the end. I think its funny that many people buy NIB Sterns ( Me included ) and never play them. They all pay in full for those. I guess they all complain about code thought

I love what your doing and can't wait for the CCC remake.

chris

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 16.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 44.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 64.99
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 24.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 225.00
Cabinet - Other
FlyLand Designs

$ 9.95
$ 130.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinwize.com

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 5,463 posts in this topic. You are on page 37 of 110.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mmr-pps-and-overall-update-official-pps-oct-21-2013/page/37 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.