(Topic ID: 67443)

MMR PPS and Overall Update - Official PPS (Oct 21, 2013)

By PPS

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 5,463 posts
  • 470 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by pmWolf
  • Topic is favorited by 98 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-77.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
pps.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Screenshot_2013-11-01-14-19-50.png
Screenshot_2013-09-14-17-45-13.png
yawn.jpg
Rick.jpg
42-3079-100.JPG
issue tissue.jpg
facepalmgroup.gif
elephant-in-the-room.jpg
math.gif
untitled.png

This topic is closed.

There are 5,463 posts in this topic. You are on page 30 of 110.
#1451 10 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Williams cut production early on MM to teach those bad operators to buy when it came out or miss out. Not to wait for close outs. My distributors first order was 180, and they only got 90.
Wasn't popularity, it was Williams debacle. The outcome was operators were already losing interest in pins, so then they quit buying.

It's always been such a contentious business. It doesn't surprise me in the least that Williams tried that. They were quite stupid in so many business ways. And it REALLY doesn't surprise me that it didn't work. Operators were always a fickle bunch, and there were plenty of other options for that same floor space over a pinball machine.

And then you had big distributors in the middle, almost always working both sides against one another.

--Donnie

#1452 10 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Isn't this an update thread? Take the trim talk to the trim thread.
Rick - your next update, please.....and include new pics, thanks

It's an open forum and in this thread I've seen suggestions/observations/concerns being voiced by customers and responded to by Rick. Which is a good thing in my view. If you want just updates go here.

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/medieval-madness-remake-updates

#1453 10 years ago

To me it sounds like PPS may not need to run the standard MMr?? Run the LE's and move on to MB & CC
That would certainly lock in the sale of 1000 LE machines as of right now many are taking a wait and see attitude because they can just pick up a standard later.

^ I had posted the above on an another thread and am curious... Is there a need for the run of standard MMr with all the cancellations of MMr LE?

#1454 10 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

To me it sounds like PPS may not need to run the standard MMr?? Run the LE's and move on to MB & CC
That would certainly lock in the sale of 1000 LE machines as of right now many are taking a wait and see attitude because they can just pick up a standard later.
^ I had posted the above on an another thread and am curious... Is there a need for the run of standard MMr with all the cancellations of MMr LE?

well, we have no way of knowing how many if any of the MMRLEs are unsold even with the cancellations. also, just because there isn't a huge waiting list, that doesn't mean distributors wouldn't be able to move non-LEs after a while. from a cost efficiency perspective, I assume PPS would certainly rather satisfy *all* demand for MMR before retooling for the next pin.

1000 units may seem like a lot, but it's less than 25% of the machine's original run, which was already a small, abbreviated run. how many total Star Trek machines is Stern making? (there were something like 800 LEs if I remember right ... how many "pros" etc?)

#1455 10 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

That's what I have been thinking ever since I have been seeing the wave of drop outs over the past month. I predict there will be a strong surge of drop offs right when they announce the end of the cancellation dead line. I’m betting strong enough that it will backfill the remaining standards with LE orders. I think at 1k LEs the demand will be filled for new MMs at that price point. You have to consider the 4600 classic models already out there. I also predict they won’t sell too many standards at 8k. That's why there is a risk to not staying on for an LE and waiting for a standard, which may never come. The only wildcard there is if they drop the price of the standard to 7k or less, then the pipe of orders will fill back up but, the risk there is that if there isn’t enough premium features on the LEs over the standard, they will piss off LE buyers with the large price reduction. So I’m back to saying I have my doubts on the standard model.

#1456 10 years ago

I am curious if the 'msrp' price will be the selling price of the standards or subject to discounts or 'real selling price' like WoZ and Stern dealers prices.

If that's the case and say standards sell for $6995 + shipping this would punish early ordere unlike WoZ which gave a good discount for taking the risk of pre ordering, plus you'd be in a position to possibly know the next game in line and choose for example people buy MMR but if BBB is next some might rather wait for that.

#1457 10 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I am curious if the 'msrp' price will be the selling price of the standards or subject to discounts or 'real selling price' like WoZ and Stern dealers prices.
If that's the case and say standards sell for $6995 + shipping this would punish early ordere unlike WoZ which gave a good discount for taking the risk of pre ordering, plus you'd be in a position to possibly know the next game in line and choose for example people buy MMR but if BBB is next some might rather wait for that.

they could also drop the non-LE all together if it seems like only a dozen people want one.

#1458 10 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

That's what I have been thinking ever since I have been seeing the wave of drop outs over the past month. I predict there will be a strong surge of drop offs right when they announce the end of the cancellation dead line. I’m betting strong enough that it will backfill the remaining standards with LE orders. I think at 1k LEs the demand will be filled for new MMs at that price point. You have to consider the 4600 classic models already out there. I also predict they won’t sell too many standards at 8k. That's why there is a risk to not staying on for an LE and waiting for a standard, which may never come. The only wildcard there is if they drop the price of the standard to 7k or less, then the pipe of orders will fill back up but, the risk there is that if there isn’t enough premium features on the LEs over the standard, they will piss off LE buyers with the large price reduction. So I’m back to saying I have my doubts on the standard model.

Maybe. But if the standards don't sell don't expect a price drop. They'll just move to the next game title and charge 8k for an Le version. Or at least try to. I'm interested to know if Williams would need to sign off on each title. Economies of scale. If they can produce the cabinets and boards en mass and they don't need to get Williams to sign off on each title means they only need focus on the play fields with components and cabinet art. That would need a limited buy Inn order of about 1000. That would be no different than how play field runs and repro for plastics and parts are currently done. If each title is going to be a net new project with Williams approval means it's gonna be much longer between games and all games will be 7k+

#1459 10 years ago

You'd think all this talk about trim would get the male pinsiders excited... not so much

#1460 10 years ago

Why on earth would they drop standard model, it sold for same as deluxe model. At worst they might drop price and refund difference to initial buyers.

#1461 10 years ago

If I were Rick I would simply have built it with the original standard trim with chrome as an extra cost option (as with invisiglass) and not have to deal with all this bickering. Thanks for putting up with it Rick. You have good intentions.

#1462 10 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

I want to see pics and video as well but, with black nickel.

Way to much $$$.

#1463 10 years ago
Quoted from Hobbypinball:

Maybe. But if the standards don't sell don't expect a price drop.

Was told wholesale is $7500, Don't plan a big drop. Are the MMR dealers actually sold out. I know that a tough question since everyone can back out. MMR will always been know as the Knock Off MM, it's not a Williams game. Think about it, that's why Williams doesn't want their name on the game. Makes sense to me.

#1464 10 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

That's what I have been thinking ever since I have been seeing the wave of drop outs over the past month.

I love how a few online members is considered a wave. This is one of the most loved pins of all time and with all the other LE stuff selling for near $8K I highly doubt they will have trouble selling at the very least 1,000 units.

Quoted from 2RustyBalls:

MMR will always been know as the Knock Off MM, it's not a Williams game. Think about it, that's why Williams doesn't want their name on the game. Makes sense to me.

Okay dude glad it makes sense to you. Still makes no sense to me but to each their own. I personally am not paying 15-20K for an 20 year old pin simply because it has a Williams logo on it when I can get a NIB Remake that uses newer technology for $8K.

#1465 10 years ago
Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

I love how a few online members is considered a wave. This is one of the most loved pins of all time and with all the other LE stuff selling for near $8K I highly doubt they will have trouble selling at the very least 1,000 units.

Maybe "Pre-Sale", how many never sent the $1000? I know the Wayne buyers are making up 300 or so. My friend got his letter and got a $500 credit on a $3000 increase in price. net zero!

#1466 10 years ago

I'd call it a wave of dropouts, but I wouldn't say the wave is necessarily very large.

In a different thread where folks were discussing why prices seemed to be tanking on a LOT of high dollar pins, one theory tossed out was all the money that MMR had "taken out of the system." Even if it's "only" the deposits, that means those folks are probably saving up or sitting on money for MMR that they can't spend right now.

There was a big fervor to get signed up on this one, so a lot of people probably did it on impulse. And since then, it affected not only MM prices, but also the prices of a lot of other games to the point that people are probably thinking "man, I should just bow out and do something different NOW rather than wait."

I don't think it's totally unexpected nor does it necessarily mean anything hugely bad for MMR.

--Donnie

#1467 10 years ago
Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

I love how a few online members is considered a wave.

Well in one of the other threads here, that was the strong argument many guys where making, that they had all these buddies that where dropping out. I recall some guys saying something along the lines of out of 5 guys they know that made deposits, 4 of them dropped out. I'm just basing it off the flap that I was reading here. It sure sounded like a wave anyway. Maybe I wrong, I still think there is going to be a boat load dropping out before cutoff.

#1468 10 years ago
Quoted from 2RustyBalls:

Was told wholesale is $7500, Don't plan a big drop.

Quoted from rai:

If that's the case and say standards sell for $6995 + shipping this would punish early ordere unlike WoZ which gave a good discount for taking the risk of pre ordering

The LE and Standard are both 8K right?

#1469 10 years ago
Quoted from hollywood:

The LE and Standard are both 8K right?

that's the list price but who knows what the dealers can sell them for, Stern sells for less than MSRP.

#1470 10 years ago

that's bullshit ... i've seen no wave of dropouts and I have visibility to a large section of the orders ... somehow it's great here to extrapalate and make statements that you have no way to know if true, but as it's a free speech forum it's ok as it's fun to wish everyone to fail (end of rant). Anyways, despite all the expert opinions, we will produce the game, we will try to make the best game we can, and we will listen to our customers as much as we can.

#1471 10 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

Anyways, despite all the expert opinions, we will produce the game, we will try to make the best game we can, and we will listen to our customers as much as we can.

Funny, I was just getting ready to say that I bet Rick is thrilled he jumped into the pinball manufacturing pool. Good luck, you see what you're in for! "Don't let the bastards wear you down"

#1472 10 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

that's bullshit ... i've seen no wave of dropouts and I have visibility to a large section of the orders ... somehow it's great here to extrapalate and make statements that you have no way to know if true, but as it's a free speech forum it's ok as it's fun to wish everyone to fail (end of rant). Anyways, despite all the expert opinions, we will produce the game, we will try to make the best game we can, and we will listen to our customers as much as we can.

Don't listen to the negative people, the majority I know wish you nothing but the best and all the success your work deserves.
My little boys and I are super stoked to be getting this pin next year!!! I cannot thank you enough!

#1473 10 years ago

yes ice, the world of 'schadenfreude' around here for sure ... lol

#1474 10 years ago

<< /negativity >>

<< positivity >>

Maybe ptml (pinside-tml) might be implemented yet?

#1475 10 years ago

Ruck don't let these people get to you . They are lying and trying to sway others by ther deception I've seen it before and we will see it again you and PPS are doing a great job! The new MM is the best thing that has happened to pinball since Williams /Bally stopped producing games Thanx Rick you are awesome!

#1476 10 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

i've seen no wave of dropouts and I have visibility to a large section of the orders ...

Well that puts that argument to rest. Your right though folks around here are a crabby bunch and its hard not to get drug into it at times. Thanks for listening to our gripes still. I'm still onboard.

#1477 10 years ago

I'm on board for MM 1000% and the 2 games that come after it (hopefuly MB & CC)

#1478 10 years ago

Will we be given any kind of warning about when Williams approval is coming?

#1479 10 years ago

still have a very strong feeling AFM is next in line…

maybe CC afterwards

#1480 10 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

Well that puts that argument to rest. Your right though folks around here are a crabby bunch and its hard not to get drug into it at times. Thanks for listening to our gripes still. I'm still onboard.

i'm still in as well.

#1481 10 years ago

there will be 'warning (lol)' about wms approval ... given that it's never been done before we have to figure out exactly what to do, so one key ingrediant is Roger Sharpe and then it may be a session, a couple a couple of sessions, etc, and giving him any things that need to be fully completed, etc. But the game is playing, and sounding, and video-ing seemingly fine. But we will give people a little headsup when we move to lockdown status on the deposits.

#1482 10 years ago

Is the color changing LCD software a sure thing?

That is a major selling point for me, wanted to see where you are on that front?

thanks

#1483 10 years ago

Thanks Rick!

#1484 10 years ago

I hope roger enjoys it - supply ample ale if he is that way inclined to help the process along!

#1485 10 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

Well in one of the other threads here, that was the strong argument many guys where making, that they had all these buddies that where dropping out. I recall some guys saying something along the lines of out of 5 guys they know that made deposits, 4 of them dropped out. I'm just basing it off the flap that I was reading here. It sure sounded like a wave anyway. Maybe I wrong, I still think there is going to be a boat load dropping out before cutoff.

So who cares if 5 guys dropped out or that someone knew 5 that dropped out? These 'strong arguments' tend to be made by people that don't really want the project to have success whom have little access to actual information. Those that tend to make these type of claims are primarily by current owners or restorers. It's doubtful there is any wave of drop outs and am pretty darn sure they will sell all 1,000 LE models easily next year.

#1486 10 years ago

Ageed^^^

#1487 10 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

that's bullshit ... i've seen no wave of dropouts and I have visibility to a large section of the orders

Quoted from bigdaddy07:

Well that puts that argument to rest.

Yep, that should do it... just wait until the additional $7000 is due!

#1488 10 years ago
Quoted from teekee:

"refake"
"one and done"
"IF they get made"
"just wait till the money is due"

man you will say literally anything you can think of to sow worry and negativity about this project, huh? just throwing stuff at the wall to see what sticks.

#1489 10 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

"refake"
"one and done"
"IF they get made"

Yes, that should cover it...

#1490 10 years ago

well, at least one person dropped out because I was on the waiting list and that's how I got it. And yes, I paid my $1000 immediately. I am guessing there are many others on the waiting list hoping there will be more dropping out. Perhaps even some of those spouting the negativity? Hmmmm.

#1491 10 years ago

Williams logo is not on the game because that was per contract about 8 years ago way before MM was even conceived (by Wayne as well) ... you would think if you had a brand that you would be very careful about letting other people use it when you cannot control much ... why such wrong headed thinking here on some of these topics?

Also, aftermarket Translites, etc with WMS logo's can be put on the game.

Oy.

#1492 10 years ago

Do you secretly love MM14? I'll bet you're a customer...

http://allpsych.com/psychology101/defenses.html

Quoted from teekee:

#1493 10 years ago

my sense is those that 'drop out' were those wanting to make a quick buck flipping the game, and when they found out that may or may not be easy ... we wanted the game to not have alot of 'flipping' as we wanted a fair price that could result in people who wanted the game to feel good about getting it, and we really weren't into supporting an abritraging in this space, so we prefer to resell thru those who will provide sales and service and can live with the margins on the game thru re-selling ...

#1494 10 years ago

Just keep in mind, 97% of the people are happy and excited! Some of us, unhealthily excited about it! Some people in particular are just really good at being loud, and that's unfortunate, but we are VERY much looking forward to the game and whatever info, pics, video, insight etc you can provide us along the way!

Quoted from PPS:

Williams logo is not on the game because that was per contract about 8 years ago way before MM was even conceived (by Wayne as well) ... you would think if you had a brand that you would be very careful about letting other people use it when you cannot control much ... why such wrong headed thinking here on some of these topics?

Oy.

#1495 10 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

Oy.

Rick,
Sometimes people here talk for the sake of talking I guess (me included) I could not be happier to be on board with this project!
If I get hit by a bus the day after I get to unbox my NIB MM then I will have died a happy man as it was something I have wanted to do since I got into pinball nearly 14 years ago.
You build it we will buy it!
Thanks for your efforts and your updates!

#1496 10 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

"refake"
"one and done"
"IF they get made"
man you will say literally anything you can think of to sow worry and negativity about this project, huh? just throwing stuff at the wall to see what sticks.

Curmudgeonly
Useless
Negative
Tony

#1497 10 years ago

Guys ... talked with someone familiar with the Black Nickel, and says that it is VERY problemmatic ... as the coloration of the finish can vary from one piece to the next from a black to a brownish, and cannot really see it in production until you are done. I've heard some other concerns as well on the black nickel ... there may be other finishes in black which might be possible, I'll check in more ... but again, it's not a simple as it looks.

rick

#1498 10 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

but again, it's not a simple as it looks.

...it never is...

#1499 10 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

Guys ... talked with someone familiar with the Black Nickel, and says that it is VERY problemmatic ... as the coloration of the finish can vary from one piece to the next from a black to a brownish, and cannot really see it in production until you are done. I've heard some other concerns as well on the black nickel ... there may be other finishes in black which might be possible, I'll check in more ... but again, it's not a simple as it looks.
rick

Thanks for checking into it Rick. As much as the black looks cool, just getting a NIB MM is good enough for me.

It probably won't be, but I vote for TOTAN as the next remake.

#1500 10 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

rick

Thx Rick - I'd rather have reliable, predictable, solid over flashy, extreme, unpredictable.

I just want my LE differentiated from the old and standard... I don't want a custom pin!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 35.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Decals
Creative Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 129.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 12.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 64.99
$ 130.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinwize.com

$ 9.95
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 44.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 225.00
Cabinet - Other
FlyLand Designs

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 16.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 24.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 5,463 posts in this topic. You are on page 30 of 110.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mmr-pps-and-overall-update-official-pps-oct-21-2013/page/30 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.