(Topic ID: 67443)

MMR PPS and Overall Update - Official PPS (Oct 21, 2013)

By PPS

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 5,463 posts
  • 470 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by pmWolf
  • Topic is favorited by 98 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-77.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
pps.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Screenshot_2013-11-01-14-19-50.png
Screenshot_2013-09-14-17-45-13.png
yawn.jpg
Rick.jpg
42-3079-100.JPG
issue tissue.jpg
facepalmgroup.gif
elephant-in-the-room.jpg
math.gif
untitled.png

This topic is closed.

There are 5,463 posts in this topic. You are on page 23 of 110.
#1101 10 years ago

ON TOPIC

Here's a suggestion to assist Planetary Pinball read through this thread. Begin each post with a identification heading as I've done here.

Two examples I'm suggesting:

A. ON TOPIC
or
B. Total bull$shit, Rick and I'm deliberately wasting your time. - Welcome to the swamp.

Kim
http://www.WrongCrowdProductions.com/

#1102 10 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

we have the ability to do anything with WMS/BLY titles of all years ...

Quoted from PPS:

there are people who approach us all the time wanting to make earlier games ... so as I usually say never say never ...

Quoted from PPS:

anyone up for bulb-scoring WMS game remakes?

On topic.

#1103 10 years ago

i think i'm guilty of taking us off topic with the "EM" discussion (i may lose some karma points for that ...) ... there can be a new thread if there is interest ... Back to MMR !

#1104 10 years ago

I can give you a thumbs down if you want.

#1105 10 years ago

Rick, Can you answer what, if any current mods will work with the new machine? (Besides obvious ones like Mirror Blades, Shooter Rods, Leg Protectors, PinGulps, etc...) Or will the people who devised these need to re-engineer them?

#1106 10 years ago

I'm not a big mod guy, but do like the troll eyes, be nice if that was on the LEs, but I know that would piss off the purists.

#1107 10 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

I'm not a big mod guy, but do like the troll eyes, be nice if that was on the LEs, but I know that would piss off the purists.

Purists can go get the oldie version

#1108 10 years ago

I am guessing it wouldn't get WMS approval if mods were pre-installed. I am hoping they have some sort of aux 12V for mods. If not, people can always mount a PC power supply. I have one in my TZ for my aftermarket audio.

#1109 10 years ago
Quoted from jamescardona:

To whoever just dropped off the LE wait list I say thank you, sir. I just got in.

Woot! The more MMRs in South Jersey, the better!

#1110 10 years ago

Can we just do the "locked thread" trick and allow PPS only to post updates? Continue this thread if you like and ramble away on whatever, but it's becoming a bit swampy

#1111 10 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

If you are an engineer or a software developer by trade, and you have never owned an EM, you should get one, at least for a little while, just to get a hands on experience with the early days of computing devices. You are really missing out if you don't.

Does RPG3, Assembler and PL/1 count?

#1112 10 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

No.

Sooo...you want me to take out all the things I enjoy? No.

You can do that on modern-style games, too....but I have nothing to prove to anyone when playing pinball. I don't care to include sports-type rivalries in my geeky hobbies.

To you. To me, pinball is about enjoying the design/gameplay/theme/personality/music/lights/goals. Me vs. Machine. I don't play online video games either...I'm not interested in competing, I'm interested in the game experience.

Honestly, I don't really like waiting my turn even if it's a short balltime game like Tron. Throws off my momentum...I'd rather play my full 3 ball game in one go - then you can play.

Congrats! Enjoy!

You use smiley faces way too much.

#1113 10 years ago
Quoted from Chippewa-Pin:

My first job as a programmer straight out of college was working with assembler and PL/1 on a mainframe back in 1995. What a culture shock. Then spent 10 years doing c/unix (back in the comfort zone). Now doing java/jboss development and having some more growing pains... Its funny how many ways there are to do the same damn thing. Hehe

#1114 10 years ago

FYI: I'm feeling kinda shitty about my previous post here. I go off topic myself as we all do around here and I humble accept the Pinside hypocrisy award.

Carry on Pinsiders.

Kim
http://www.WrongCrowdProductions.com/

PS. Hey, Rick. How about remaking Joker Poker.

#1115 10 years ago
Quoted from jkdblaze:

Will the LED brightness on the inserts be adjustable? I've seen a few MM's with LED's and the brightness kind of overwhelmed the beautiful playfield artwork.

I would still like to know this. Being able to turn down "torch mode" would make the game a little more like the original to me. I believe the Stern GI can be turned down, but I'm not sure about the inserts.

#1116 10 years ago
Quoted from jkdblaze:

I would still like to know this. Being able to turn down "torch mode" would make the game a little more like the original to me. I believe the Stern GI can be turned down, but I'm not sure about the inserts.

I like torch mode so, I think them being adjustable would be the best way to please everyone, at least in this regard.

#1117 10 years ago
Quoted from Chippewa-Pin:

PL/1 one of my favorite languages -- and yes it counts!!

#1119 10 years ago
Quoted from jamescardona:

To whoever just dropped off the LE wait list I say thank you, sir. I just got in.

You can thank me for one. I just am going to wait and see how everything works itself out and wish the best for them making this game. If anything they can always make more as indicated and not much difference for the standard, just would need a shaker for the most part that matters to me. Hope you enjoy it.

#1120 10 years ago
Quoted from DarkWizard:

Will mirror blades work with the new machine?

If the location of the holes in the sides of the cabinet for the backbox pivot brackets is off just a little on the reproduction cabs then mirror blades won't line up.

#1121 10 years ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

I like quoting people and putting stuff in here that people didn't actually say.

Why is that?

Mirror blades, as I thought I made clear, are one of the items I am not worried about.

#1122 10 years ago

This was asked a while back in another thread but I don't think I've seen it directly addressed:

"Will [MMr] be improved using full quality 44KHz sounds, music, and voices as seen on the original Williams website as sample downloads?"

#1123 10 years ago

I would imagine they'll upgrade everything that makes sense, from a tech perspective. Why the hell not? The LCD and boards, are two examples. Why would they reproduce 1997 sound quality...with errors as well? They won't.

#1124 10 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

I would imagine they'll upgrade everything that makes sense, from a tech perspective. Why the hell not? The LCD and boards, are two examples. Why would they reproduce 1997 sound quality...with errors as well? They won't.

Assuming the original high quality sound assets still exist, hard to imagine they wouldn't want to use those. But that'd be an assumption which PPS could presumably clear up one way or another...

#1125 10 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Assuming the original high quality sound assets still exist, hard to imagine they wouldn't want to use those. But that'd be an assumption which PPS could presumably clear up one way or another...

it doesn't sound like that many original assets survived, and the ones that did are on floppy disks that are nigh unreadable (if i recall correctly). but yeah an answer from them on how they're acquiring the sounds would be interesting.

#1126 10 years ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

If the location of the holes in the sides of the cabinet for the backbox pivot brackets is off just a little on the reproduction cabs then mirror blades won't line up.

If current blades don't fit someone will make ones that do.

#1127 10 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

This was asked a while back in another thread but I don't think I've seen it directly addressed:
"Will [MMr] be improved using full quality 44KHz sounds, music, and voices as seen on the original Williams website as sample downloads?"

I did the website and should still have all the sound files plus some that were never put up. But I'd be very surprised I have anything PPS doesn't.

#1129 10 years ago

The original sound I believe will be improved upon what exists, technically I'm not sure exactly the specifics, but there is an effort to get a better quality out. There are some IP assets that we have that help with that and they are being looked at by Chicago Gaming ...

#1130 10 years ago

The cabinet should be the 'same' as the original, as we are using the original cad files - so dimensionally as well as where the major nuts/bolts go should be the same. I'm not sure if after the years that there are any improvements, but I'm sure anything like that would be for good reason ...

#1131 10 years ago

I'm hoping the quality of the wood used is equal to the original. When you play a Stern you can tell and I think their cabs are a pretty big part of that.

Quoted from PPS:

The cabinet should be the 'same' as the original, as we are using the original cad files - so dimensionally as well as where the major nuts/bolts go should be the same. I'm not sure if after the years that there are any improvements, but I'm sure anything like that would be for good reason ...

#1132 10 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

The original sound I believe will be improved upon what exists, technically I'm not sure exactly the specifics, but there is an effort to get a better quality out. There are some IP assets that we have that help with that and they are being looked at by Chicago Gaming ...

Oh man this is going to be FREAKING AMAZING if you can pull off this level of quality from the original sound masters...

http://www.planetarypinball.com/mm5/Williams/games/medieval/mm_sounds.html

#1133 10 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

it doesn't sound like that many original assets survived, and the ones that did are on floppy disks that are nigh unreadable (if i recall correctly). but yeah an answer from them on how they're acquiring the sounds would be interesting.

There are many ways to read old floppy disks. Unless the disks are actually bad, I am surprised they didn't put forth the effort to get what they can from them. The floppy disk theory doesn't really hold water. You don't even need an old computer.

http://www.deviceside.com/fc5025.html

Also by the time this game was made, I am pretty sure we were all using 3.5" floppy drives, which are even easier to read. Many USB options are available for 3.5" disks.

I sell and collect old computer games on the side and easily 90% of the disks I use are still in working order.

#1134 10 years ago

When Doom3D conversion came out, I pulled my old Doom disks out and installed a floppy drive.

The discs would no longer read.

They were stored in a floppy disk case on a shelf above my desk.

#1135 10 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

When Doom3D conversion came out, I pulled my old Doom disks out and installed a floppy drive.

Yeah, they are pretty much beyond the estimated lifespan. Just saying, a good portion of them continue working long after that and that files being on floppy disks doesn't immediately make them unreadable.

#1136 10 years ago

I wish there was more solid info on if the original recordings (analog or digital) are still entirely available and if so, what media they are stored on. To me this is a cool opportunity to look "on the other side" and have a reason to discover what was once lost.

#1137 10 years ago

A bunch of my floppies work fine on my MacSE

Se30.jpgSe30.jpg
#1138 10 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Where did you get the drive? I work with old systems at times and use floppies occasionally as needed. The disks are usually fine; it's the drives that are shot. If you want to read a floppy, get a NEW usb floppy drive and use that. Most original floppy drives are full of dust and crud, and many are likely out of spec electronically. If you must use an old drive, get a stack of sacraficial floppies and run format operations with them until one fully passes. This will help clean the crud out before ruining your valuable disk.

#1139 10 years ago

http://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-External-Floppy-Drive-FL-UDRV/dp/B00E9MD700/ref=sr_1_1

$14. I use these all the time for work, metalik is right, using an old drive is asking for trouble.

#1140 10 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

I'm hoping the quality of the wood used is equal to the original. When you play a Stern you can tell and I think their cabs are a pretty big part of that.

I think this is more user bias. I've had plenty side by side and there was no glaring deficiency in regards to cabinet construction in either direction IMO. Sorry don't want to derail the thread just couldn't keep my trap shut.

Quoted from jalpert:

I appreciate your opinion, I still disagree

Yeah we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one.

#1141 10 years ago

I appreciate your opinion, I still disagree

Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

I think this is more user bias. I've had plenty side by side and there was no glaring deficiency in regards to cabinet construction in either direction IMO. Sorry don't want to derail the thread just couldn't keep my trap shut.

#1142 10 years ago

I disagree with your disagreeing to disagree.

#1143 10 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

I disagree with your disagreeing to disagree.

DAMN YOU Ted!! Why won't you just let us disagree on our disagreement to not agree...

#1145 10 years ago

Yeah we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one.

What he stated is plain fact, there's nothing to disagree about. I changed out the crummy Goldwood speaker in my ACDC premium - all you have to do is look at the edge of the wood at the hole. The bottom panel of current Stern cabs is half the thickness of WMS, JJP and older Stern cabs. It's so thin and cheap that when I actually turned up the bass, the cabinet rattled to the point I feared it would come unglued and I had to back it down quite a bit. "Disagree" all you want, but next time you're around a newer Stern, try busting out a ruler... reality will quickly hit you.

#1146 10 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

Where did you get the drive?

Newegg.com

#1147 10 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

Value add items like this will make a huge difference to buyers, especially if they are debating between an original and the new.

#1148 10 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

What he stated is plain fact,

No it's not sorry man. Are you the type that just can't stand that others see things differently than you?? Sorry you if had difficulty with yours I've never had a problem with one of my newer Stern cabs so far thankfully. I don't care about measuring in my time owning them never have they had issue nor did I think they felt inferior in any way.

Quoted from metallik:

"Disagree" all you want

Thanks for your permission chief!

Quoted from metallik:

We're seeing things differently? So you're seeing a 3/4" bottom panel where I'm seeing a 3/8" panel? Might need to get your eyes examined...
Or are you just a Stern fanboy who refuses to admit he's wrong? There is no "opinion" or debate about whether something measures 3/4" or 3/8". I also have to laugh at your 'feeling' comment, as we have ACDC, StarTrek and WOZ all next to each other, and the WOZ "feels" MUCH more solid than the other two. All are fun but the Sterns are rattletraps...
Also, you're not exactly the only one who has owned pins for many years...

Okay then your right no one but you has the right to an opinion on the matter since you think your opinion on how they feel when you play them is 'fact'. Back on subject there is no reason to even discuss this any further.

#1149 10 years ago

No it's not sorry man. Are you the type that just can't stand that others see things differently than you?? Sorry you had difficulty with yours that has never happened to me thankfully. I don't care about measuring I am going off years of owning pins and never having an issue and never feeling a difference between the two.
Thanks for your permission chief!

We're seeing things differently? So you're seeing a 3/4" bottom panel where I'm seeing a 3/8" panel? Might need to get your eyes examined...

Or are you just a Stern fanboy who refuses to admit he's wrong? There is no "opinion" or debate about whether something measures 3/4" or 3/8". I also have to laugh at your 'feeling' comment, as we have ACDC, StarTrek and WOZ all next to each other, and the WOZ "feels" MUCH more solid than the other two. All are fun but the Sterns are rattletraps...

Also, you're not exactly the only one who has owned pins for many years...

Okay then your right no one but you has the right to an opinion on the matter since you think your opinion on how they feel when you play them is 'fact'.

No, I claim as fact that Stern's current cab have thinner bottom panels than WPC or others. I claimed as my opinion that I thought it would fall apart after a speaker upgrade. Please do not distort what I write. And yes, there is no need to discuss facts.

#1150 10 years ago

bogart.jpgbogart.jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 24.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 35.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 225.00
Cabinet - Other
FlyLand Designs

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.95
$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 44.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 64.99
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

There are 5,463 posts in this topic. You are on page 23 of 110.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mmr-pps-and-overall-update-official-pps-oct-21-2013/page/23 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.